• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Shiggie

They should rename the wiiU
Super Nintendo Wii. Its simple not confusing and It references nintendos most arguably hardcore system.

guek

Banned
Trying to piece together whatever info that's lying around in my head in order to form some vague idea of what Monolith's up to. Feel free to interject if I'm just pulling nonsense out of my ass. :D

At some point, we got this image from Yasuyuki Honne:
monolithsoft.jpg
So stunning. I eagerly await whatever they have cooking. I do think they're making 2 different games though, a 3DS game and a Wii U game. I highly doubt we'll see their Wii U effort this E3.

onilink88

3DS: Xeno-Whuddevuh
Wii U: Baten Kaitos

Dunno 'bout that. Xeno-Whuddevuh seems to be a Wiiwoo title. Unless I'm mistaken somewhere.

I'm so excited for whatever RPG Monolith can bring to Wii U!

Hope their influence by Fallout doesn't "westernize" whatever they're making, that's probably in terms of scale or something? I wouldn't call it the prettiest game from what I've seen of it.

Just be themselves, Xenoblade showed that they are extremely talented! Why take influence by a western company's game of all things?

On that note, fucking hyped for Xenoblade! :D

They're taking influence from western games? I don't remember reading that. I do, however, remember reading that they wanted their title to be a technical showcase or something. Something that shows that Japanese tech doesn't lose out to America's.

Baten Kaitos is dead guys. It will never come back. Just accept it already.

Oh, I'm not really hoping for a new BK game, honestly. Just trying to understand what they might be up to. Had no idea the series was dead, though.

So stunning. I eagerly await whatever they have cooking. I do think they're making 2 different games though, a 3DS game and a Wii U game. I highly doubt we'll see their Wii U effort this E3.
I don't think it's that ridiculous to entertain the idea of a small teaser...just so we can get a taste of what they are working on.

Nibel

I still can't believe that Xenoblade runs on the Wii. When it's night and you look at the distance.. man, magic. Magic.

Cookychan

Banned
Dunno 'bout that. Xeno-Whuddevuh seems to be a Wiiwoo title. Unless I'm mistaken somewhere.

3DS is similar in power to a Wii, I'd figure they'd jump into something they can get around a little bit better, and save their big Wii U mega-title for mid-generation.

wsippel

Banned
Yes, the Xeno team is doing the Elder Scrolls inspired Wii U game. Monolith Kyoto does the 3DS game if I remember correctly, and the Endless Frontier team is probably also working on a 3DS title. Maybe that Capcom x Sega x NBGI thing.

Not the game, the trafing cards and colectable figurines that you can scan into the game just by putting them on the screen. Gasoline meet fire.

I see that you mean they could launch some kind of trading cards' application on WiiU, but again IMO 3DS it's where it would make more sense if only for some valid reasons:

* Much bigger userbase(WiiU is hardly going to oversell 3DS in Japan that's arguably Pokemon's main market)
* AR and 3D features
* Lower development costs
* Lower price entry(3DS being supposedly much cheaper than WiiU)
* People can bring their 3DS with them and trade stuff creating communities(you cannot bring your WiiU with you and that's a big downside in my understanding for this kind of stuff)

I'd love for the Wii U to have a two-toned matte gray case like the Super Famicom. I'm kinda sick of all black/all white glossy consoles.

iLCb9.png

Probably my favorite console design ever. Much slicker than the rectangular brick we got in the 'States.

onilink88

3DS is similar in power to a Wii, I'd figure they'd jump into something they can get around a little bit better, and save their big Wii U mega-title for mid-generation.

Well, technological familiarity doesn't seem like it'd be a factor in choosing the 3DS over the Wii U:

Sugiura began by noting that the Monolith programming staff has been continually doing research and development on other company's products, including HD machines. With the release of the Wii U, they'll at last be able to show the fruits of their work, he said.

Sounding a similar note, Yajima assured that although this is Monolith's first HD game, because they've been doing R&D for some time now, they're having no problems on the technical front.

From: http://andriasang.com/comwyh/monolith_wiiu_programmers/

Yes, the Xeno team is doing the Elder Scrolls inspired Wii U game. Monolith Kyoto does the 3DS game if I remember correctly, and the Endless Frontier team is probably also working on a 3DS title. Maybe that Capcom x Sega x NBGI thing.

Three games: one being a Wii U title, two being 3DS titles. Gotcha. Though, I'm not finding anywhere that says their Wii U title is going to be Elder Scrolls-inspired.

NeoRausch

I see that you mean they could launch some kind of trading cards' application, but again IMO 3DS it's where it would make more sense if only for some valid reasons:

* Much bigger userbase(WiiU is hardly going to oversell 3DS in Japan that's arguably Pokemon's main marke)
* AR and 3D features
* Lower development costs
* Lower price entry(3DS being supposedly much cheaper than WiiU)
* People can bring their 3DS with them and trade stuff creating communities(you cannot bring your WiiU with you and that's a big downside in my understanding)
Yes,your 100 percent right.

now imagine the tradingcard game that works with that 3ds mainline game. Scan the rare pokemons into your game with the ar-code and do a 3D AR-Battle against a friend using these cards.

now these cards also have a NFC chip embedded within them. So you can just place them on your wii u controller to register them in some stadium game or stupid free pokedey app.

it's no even about games but about selling game cards to kids again. Intercangeable between all the cool new nintendohardware.

i don't even care the fuck about pokemon, but that shit is pure moneyprinting.

Cookychan

Banned
Yes,your 100 percent right.

now imagine the tradingcard game that works with that 3ds mainline game. Scan the rare pokemons into your game with the ar-code and do a 3D AR-Battle against a friend using these cards.

now these cards also have a NFC chip embedded within them. So you can just place them on your wii u controller to register them in some stadium game or stupid free pokedey app.

it's no even about games but about selling game cards to kids again. Intercangeable between all the cool new nintendohardware.

i don't even care the fuck about pokemon, but that shit is pure moneyprinting.

*evil eye*

abasm

I'd love for the Wii U to have a two-toned matte gray case like the Super Famicom. I'm kinda sick of all black/all white glossy consoles.

iLCb9.png

Probably my favorite console design ever. Much slicker than the rectangular brick we got in the 'States.

The Gamecube would probably be held in much higher respect (design-wise) if Nintendo had led with the Black instead of the Indigo and ditched the handle. It's both easy on the eyes, and sufficiently durable for surviving the rigors of transport. (I've had my Gamecube for almost 10 years, and it has survived numerous road trips and LAN parties.)

Nibel

Had a black one although I always wanted an orange one. The only bad thing about the GC is the handle like mentioned above. Not the best design decision since it was useless and destroyed the cubic design a bit.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The Gamecube would probably be held in much higher respect (design-wise) if Nintendo had led with the Black instead of the Indigo and ditched the handle. It's both easy on the eyes, and sufficiently durable for surviving the rigors of transport. (I've had my Gamecube for almost 10 years, and it has survived numerous road trips and LAN parties.)

The handle on GC was great especially when porting it around. What they should have done was include an ethernet port in it and focused more on LAN play. It seems like that was their intention, but for some reason only a handful of games supported it. Mario Kart: Double Dash was one of them. If they had a decent first person shooter, particularly something that rivaled Halo's multiplayer, GC may have been a different story all together.

Cookychan

Banned
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I rotate console colors, it's a weird thing I just do.
I had a black Wii so having a white Wii U doesn't bother me.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I rotate console colors, it's a weird thing I just do.
I had a black Wii so having a white Wii U doesn't bother me.

But since Wii launched in white, it would make a poor choice, as far as I'm concerned I am getting a bit tired of white!

Cookychan

Banned
I hope there's a launch event near me ;~;.
Knowing me it'll be me and three others sitting there at 6AM with coffee and StreetPassing.

guek

Banned
The handle on GC was great especially when porting it around. What they should have done was include an ethernet port in it and focused more on LAN play. It seems like that was their intention, but for some reason only a handful of games supported it. Mario Kart: Double Dash was one of them. If they had a decent first person shooter, particularly something that rivaled Halo's multiplayer, GC may have been a different story all together.

ah gamecube. What "could have been" indeed. I still love you, little lunch box.

Top Bottom