• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Legend of Zelda HD Selection:
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (yes, a separate game for this one, too young to be included in a collection, me thinks).

Make it happen, Nintendo!

Now that everyone is talking about the Gamecube I have to confess that I never had one. Am I a bad person?

Not necessarily, but for sure you missed on some good games you may hopefully play later on on WiiU's Virtual Console(I am afraid not the whole library will be available though).

PokéKong

AaEBB.png

Looks like a 20$ DVD player.

rhino4evr

did we ever get confirmation on how much weaker this is supposed to be than the 360?

If its weaker then the 360 this thing will be doa. A lot of people own IPads. I don't see them buying a console that's basically an IPad with buttons. Nintendo has a long way to go, it won't be nearly as easy as The Wii

Aguila

#ICONIC
i had a black gcn......so sad that it died.

I had a platinum one (I think it was the coolest GCN of them all) and it also died =/

Some people say that the Gamecube used to look like a toy because of the shape and handle but I personally never looked at it like that. I loved the look and I even loved the feel of the power, open, and reset buttons. I especially still love the controllers.

HylianTom

Banned
I had a platinum one (I think it was the coolest GCN of them all) and it also died =/

Some people say that the Gamecube used to look like a toy because of the shape and handle but I personally never looked at it like that. I loved the look and I even loved the feel of the power, open, and reset buttons. I especially still love the controllers.

I had the Platinum one also, and kinda regret giving it away to nieces/nephews. Miss that awesome little box. I still say hi to it when I visit.

(and I heard from a good source that the U is going to be a 2600 and an Intellivision duct-taped together! Someone quickly start a new thread!)

So considering how well Japanese developers handled this current genration of games, might the Wii U be better for them in the long run as opposed to going through the motions again with the likely higher spec Playstation and Xbox successors? I would love to think that many of them have their development pipelines streamlined by now, but outside of Capcom and 1 or 2 others I wouldn't put too much hope in that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any clear indication what next-gen will be? If Epic doesn't consider Samaratin next gen, UE4 must be sex with analog sticks. If that holds true (and for a middleware solution) I really can't see Japanese developers not struggling. But hey, I'm high on cough syrup (and other misc sinus relief drugs) right now, so the hype train's pretty colors can keep me entertained for hours alone.

Heropon

UPad as powerful als Virtual Boy confirmed; not high enough resolution -> Nintendo to Dreamcast themselves because it's Nintendo

Wii U will sell better than the Virtual Boy because there are more players around now. Nintendo should redesign the Wii U radically if they don't want to sell like 5 million units.

Joke

did we ever get confirmation on how much weaker this is supposed to be than the 360?

-0.75x weaker than xbox 360 ;) j/k

heres the reality:

its 27 Myiamoto elevator farts, times 17 iwata laughs + 23 Reggie hairs in a soup times stronger, if you consider the continent of the strongest fanboyism and the positoning of the planets! heard it from my dead zombie grandma who works as a toilet scrubber at bign!

;)

Donnie

If its weaker then the 360 this thing will be doa. A lot of people own IPads. I don't see them buying a console that's basically an IPad with buttons. Nintendo has a long way to go, it won't be nearly as easy as The Wii

I'd love to know how "weaker than 360" automatically means around Ipad power, Ipad isn't even on the same planet as 360.

Anyway, no it won't be weaker than 360, not a single chance of that.

Cookychan

Banned
Wii U weaker than Mr. Burns.
Splash screen plays "Ketchup.... Catsup... Ketchup, Catsup" with Iwata going "Hai" for 10 hours.

If the Wii U establishes itself quickly thanks to Mario and Dragon Quest, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the baseline of Japanese development for most of the generation.

yeah, it seems that pie in the sky specs (like 8 GB etc) are almost only used to make dude-bro games more life like and bro-tacular. Which is fine in itself, but a lot of those multi millon sellers leave imagination at the door. Additionally, years back I worked at a shoe store and learned that shoes sales always spike during years where there are Olympic games (esp. the summer games). I suppose the same may be said about shooters and real world military campaigns. So with the end of the Iraq war and "maybe" a visible end to major Afghan activites might the COD, MoH and such see a sales decline? I guess there is always Iran, Space Nazis and Korea (Homefront 2).

The Gamecube would probably be held in much higher respect (design-wise) if Nintendo had led with the Black instead of the Indigo
They did. Both in Japan and the US, black was an option from day one. A lot of people bought purple because they liked it, because black is boring (EVERY damn thing eventually becomes available in black).

Heropon

I hope this machine gets as much Japanese support as it can. Everyone hypes the upcoming western AAA games, but I care little about them. I think the last western game I beat was Portal 2.

Cookychan

Banned
I hope this machine gets as much Japanese support as it can. Everyone hypes the upcoming western AAA games, but I care little about them. I think the last western game I beat was Portal 2.

Best western game I've played, the rest are mainly washed out, shade-of-beige shooters that are apparently the hottest thing yet.

(MY TONSILS ARE SWELLING UP THIS IS HELL) I need a distraction.

Silver would work, too. But as nice as that looks, if I squint it's still a silver Wii. Nintendo needs a new look to say "Hey, this is a brand new thing, not a sexier Wii."

A new design philosophy should be used, like how Microsoft had the "inhale" concept for the 360. The Wii has a nice look, but it's a bit uninspired a second time. This is the first time a Nintendo console (not handheld) has looked nearly identical to the previous one. NES to SNES to N64 to Gamecube to Wii. All unique designs. Wii to Wii U is boring, honestly.

They need something that would stand it apart from the Wii on a retail shelf, one of the 3DS's missteps. A two-toned case is a possible solution. Or something else. I'm far from industrial design expert. But I did take several design classes in college. Contrast is important, and is probably why MS made the 360 white, to make it stand out from the black XBox.

Anyway, I'm rambling. You get my point. It's not "just a box", it's a way (along with marketing, typography, color, etc.) to inform the consumer "this isn't a Wii with an iPad tacked on". To the uninformed, the current design doesn't convey that clearly.

Cookychan

Banned
Do you guys really believe tripe like this?

I don't place all of my thoughts on western games like this, of course there are phenomenal ones, but come on, list more than 10 games from the last few months that have had insane hype levels, and aren't a beige-aholic.

It's been said before but my personal opinion is still that the Wii U will be the Playstation 2 of this upcoming generation. Not in terms of overall sales or marketshare but in terms of software support. Coming out first will be a huge advantage for Nintendo, they will get ports of most current AAA titles aswell as have they're own IP to sell the system. And by the time Microsoft and Sony's new consoles come out, Wii U will be well positioned in terms of install base to recieve versions of most of the upcoming AAA games, even if they are scaled down due to Wii U being slightly less powerful than the other two systems.

The only two things I can see hurting Wii U is the online system and whether they get Grand Theft Auto 5 or not. Yes, seems ridiculous to base success on one game but GTA is what it is. Good luck to Nintendo convincing the "hardcore" or "dudebros" to switch over or even include Wii U in their console collection if they can still argue "oh, but you can't play that on Wii".

Food for thought.

abasm

The Game Boy player actually makes the system a near-perfect cube. I only wish they brought the other colors to America.

PA.02501.004.jpg

...and, with that, what about about a DS/3DS player for the Wii U? It's more than capable, what with the touch screen controller and all.

Cookychan

Banned
It's been said before but my personal opinion is still that the Wii U will be the Playstation 2 of this upcoming generation. Not in terms of overall sales or marketshare but in terms of software support. Coming out first will be a huge advantage for Nintendo, they will get ports of most current AAA titles aswell as have they're own IP to sell the system. And by the time Microsoft and Sony's new consoles come out, Wii U will be well positioned in terms of install base to recieve versions of most of the upcoming AAA games, even if they are scaled down due to Wii U being slightly less powerful than the other two systems.

The only two things I can see hurting Wii U is the online system and whether they get Grand Theft Auto 5 or not. Yes, seems ridiculous to base success on one game but GTA is what it is. Good luck to Nintendo convincing the "hardcore" or "dudebros" to switch over or even include Wii U in their console collection if they can still argue "oh, but you can't play that on Wii".

Food for thought.

This has kinda been my thoughts for a while too, I think Sony may Wii themselves this gen (no jokes intended) in terms of power, not software, and obviously not that large of a gap.

Although, now ya think about it, Nintendo and Sony have had turns being the weak console, maybe it's now MS' turn.

Cookychan

Banned
The Game Boy player actually makes the system a near-perfect cube. I only wish they brought the other colors to America.

PA.02501.004.jpg

...and, with that, what about about a DS/3DS player for the Wii U? It's more than capable, what with the touch screen controller and all.

Oh God I'd love this so much

I don't place all of my thoughts on western games like this, of course there are phenomenal ones, but come on, list more than 10 games from the last few months that have had insane hype levels, and aren't a beige-aholic.

Theres barely 10 games from the last few months that had insane hype levels, I would like to know which games from the last few months that had insane hype levels that fit your beige shooter comment.

Top Bottom