• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

When E3 hits, we should do a 180 on expectations, saying "nothing likely is going to come out of this, we may get a few tidbits of information on the system but nothing substantial".

guek

Banned
I know these next two weeks are going to be a huge blur for me, so it's more like I only have to wait 10 weeks for E3 :-D

K444WSR

it's funny because the buildup is insaneeee and then the conference itself is CRAZYY but then it's just over so fast, that we're right back to where we're at now, except with much more info leading up to console release.
True pyro. But those few hours before, during and after the conference are amazing, the butterflies in the stomach...the hype on gaf...the false leaks...Reggie saying "and before you leave" (hopefully again this year)...the countless threads of nintendoomed...the analyzing on gaf. All of it is now part and parcel of the pheneomen that is a nintendo conference at e3. I'm hoping, that the veil of secrecy that nintendo have hidden the wii u behind, stays that way till the actual conference. I want to be surprised. I want to be shocked. I want to see iwata 'drop the bomb'.
(I'm getting caught up in the hype aren't I)

I think Ninety should change the color. The white color is synonymous with the Wii. To give people the impression this is something new and different, a name change and a color change would be wise.

NeoRausch

it's only 85 days to E3? How did we last so long without someone going crazy?
the mods know to wait till the shitstorm hits. E3 going to be a masscre on every side.
it's going to be bad! Console release stuff is always troll/fanboy bait.
Wait for it to decreas gaf population by 8 percent. Mods with bleeding axes over the shoulder, dead accounts everywhere. All that shit.

short: E3 Hardware reveal.

I think it should be available in multiple colors from day one (and not just black and white). I liked the (Japanese) Gamecube launch - purple, orange, and black on day one. In the US we only got purple and black, but we somehow got the orange controllers...

guek

Banned
oh yeah :( and snesfreak went mad too. are they permabanned or will we see them again in time for E3? hope they're having fun reading the thread though.

Both should be back in time for E3 :p

Though I think there'll be a reckoning when BP returns.

frostbyte

I think Ninety should change the color. The white color is synonymous with the Wii. To give people the impression this is something new and different, a name change and a color change would be wise.

one white 'casual'model and one black 'core' model w/ bigger HDD would be good.

or a return back to SNES gray.

lenovox1

It's new and different, but, at the same time, Iwata has stressed how it's an extension of everything the Wii built. Having the word "Wii" be somewhere in the name is really important to get that message across to consumers.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Just checking :p

Must've been someone on another board.

I'll talk about the padlet more in another post, later this month.

And yes, there are infos circulating that we don't know all the functionalities/features of the Wii U. But i don't think that if it's the case, it will be spectacular, for several reasons.

btw, i'm following two different thread timeline, i'm on page 6 trying to catch-up, and the current one to answer. And it's late here ! We definitely need a bullet time mode for reading very quickly 10 new pages of content :p

Tyeforce

What if you want a white system with the bigger HDD? :(

Though I doubt Nintendo would do something like that. I'm sure it'll be a similar situation to the 3DS; if you want more memory, just buy a bigger SD card (or HDD). No need to mess around with different system models.

guek

Banned

I don't mind the sleek box look, it just needs to look distinguishable from the og wii. Colors would definitely help, but then people might confuse it as just a new special edition wii.

NeoRausch

I personally can't wait the the moneymaking shit they gonna pull with AR and NFC.
Just put these word together:

AR+NFC+KIDS+PARENTSMONEY+POKEMON+COLLECTING CARDS/FIGURES+NEWGAME

=

A COOL BILLION FOR NINTENDO

and that would be just one francise. Jeez!

frostbyte

It's new and different, but, at the same time, Iwata has stressed how it's an extension of everything the Wii built. Having the word "Wii" be somewhere in the name is really important to get that message across to consumers.

the gamer part of the consumer population also has a stigma with the word 'Wii'. I juat feel Nintendo could be so much better served with a name change.

I don't think Nintendo will start with multiple SKUs this generation either.

All we'll get is probably a Wii U with an SD card of maybe 16GB (should be cheap enough) to ensure that all units are capable of downloading DLC and patches.
Then they'll probably release their own proprietary external HD, but still allow you to plug in your own HDs.

I personally can't wait the the moneymaking shit they gonna pull with AR and NFC.

=

Something like that Spyro game but with Pokemon cards (put them on your Wii tablet and it scans it into the new Pokemon Stadium game/Mainline Pokemon game) would be awesome!

guek

Banned

=

NFC needs to be used in their achievement system. It has to be. It...arghblaraeiab aeiapwoa

frostbyte

What if you want a white system with the bigger HDD? :(

Though I doubt Nintendo would do something like that. I'm sure it'll be a similar situation to the 3DS; if you want more memory, just buy a bigger SD card (or HDD). No need to mess around with different system models.

True. but some people prefer not connecting a USB HDD in the back. It's cleaner.

I don't mind the sleek box look, it just needs to look distinguishable from the og wii. Colors would definitely help, but then people might confuse it as just a new special edition wii.
In the end, they just have to make a box that can be distinguished from the Wii. Monty doesn't need another 3DS successor problem again.

I'd rather have grey than black.

I'd rather have purple myself. or the new FE 3DS colour.

lenovox1

the gamer part of the consumer population also has a stigma with the word 'Wii'. I juat feel Nintendo could be so much better served with a name change.

I think gamers are looking for two things: fun, connected experiences and perceived "power." And to put on top, more than anything else, word of mouth sells video games (source is some NeoGAF thread I'm too lazy to look up). That means that if it has what "gamers"
(moderate to high income, 16-35, spends most of their entertainment budget on Video Games)
want, than it will do fine with that segment of the population. It could be called the "Magical Unicorns and Sparkly Rainbows Machine," and people would buy it if it had good buzz and it had the experiences they wanted on it.

=

I don't think Nintendo will ever release a main Pokemon on WiiU, their target platform for the series in the foreseeble future is predictably going to be 3DS, and methinks it would be the most profitable choice.

NeoRausch

I don't think Nintendo will ever release a main Pokemon on WiiU, their target platform for the series in the foreseeble future is predictably going to be 3DS, and methinks it would be the most profitable choice.
That's the best part!
No need for a full game. Just some lazy stadium game or a better pokedex would be enough to set the merchandise for this francise on fire again.

minimal effort, maximum profit

onilink88

Trying to piece together whatever info that's lying around in my head in order to form some vague idea of what Monolith's up to. Feel free to interject if I'm just pulling nonsense out of my ass. :D

At some point, we got this image from Yasuyuki Honne:
monolithsoft.jpg

Strongly believe it's Baten Kaitos related given this (Diadem):
scaled.php
)

Some time after (or was it before?), we got this image in the recruitment page for a new game:
scaled.php

Now, this is where I'm not sure what to think. The first and third images look like they'd be art for two different games (I really don't remember there being any UFOs or any other sci-fi elements in BK). I'm not too familiar with Monolith's internal workings, but are they large enough to be working on two different games (three, actually, with their newly announced 3DS game). Hell, it may not be even be two games- both images could, in fact, be for the same game. So, can anyone clarify what might be going on here?

Wii U: Baten Kaitos 3 and Xeno-Files
3DS: ?

or

Wii U: Baten Files X
3DS: ?

*Possibly useful notes:
- they want experienced 2D character and mech designers and programmers with Havok and shader experience for that "UFO game"
- "UFO game" happens to be a Wii U title*

Aguila

#ICONIC
The case is definitively not balanced in terms of size. Its depth is rather ridiculous in comparison to its tiny Width and Height. It's feng-shui-less. It's like a pizza with a baguette shape. It's like a brick of milk put horizontally and cut in half. It's ether too plate, or too profound. I'm pretty sure if someone could add another Wii U ON a first one, the result will feel more natural, a question of proportions.

It's acceptable for an external HDD/drive, not for a home console that must respond to some aesthetic considerations even if Big N said "it's just a box".

They must change it. I don't have any info about that so please, don't say "big redesign confirmed".

We need mock-up starting from this initial design, that will show how improvement in the size department/proportions could make this Wii U so much sexier. We have actually a cheap Louis Vuitton bag counterfeit. We need to see how the original should look :p

I definitely agree with you. If you look back, Nintendo's previous consoles have all had their own unique style. The Wii U looks like the Wii's version of the fat PS3 and the controller looks like a Wii peripheral. Nintendo should at least implement some colors like they did with the buttons on the SNES controllers.
snes_full-size.jpg
nintendo-super-nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers.bmp

I'm so excited for whatever RPG Monolith can bring to Wii U!

Hope their influence by Fallout doesn't "westernize" whatever they're making, that's probably in terms of scale or something? I wouldn't call it the prettiest game from what I've seen of it.

Just be themselves, Xenoblade showed that they are extremely talented! Why take influence by a western company's game of all things?

On that note, fucking hyped for Xenoblade! :D

Javier

They should have called it the WiiBro.

That's the best part!
No need for a full game. Just some lazy stadium game or a better pokedex would be enough to set the merchandise for this francise on fire again.

minimal effort, maximum profit

It's not like previous iterations on N64/Gamecube set the world on fire...

Colour me skeptical, they will never too much effort in a Pokemon game on a home-console, since it could hurt mainline series' sales, and I can see why tthey have wanted it to remain mainly on handhelds.

NeoRausch

It's not like previous iterations on N64/Gamecube put the world on fire...

Colour me skeptical, they will never too much effort in a Pokemon game on a home-console, since it could hurt mainline series' sales, and I can see why tthey have wanted it to remain mainly on handhelds.
Not the game, the trafing cards and colectable figurines that you can scan into the game just by putting them on the screen. Gasoline meet fire.

edit:

they can also put AR Markers on the trading cards wich work with the 3ds and the newest full online pokemon game!
OMGZ! MONIES!

Top Bottom