• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

kzukzu.jpg

I am trying to follow the logical path from

"Tecmo and Nintendo are so buddy-buddy and Tecmo does basically whatever Nintendo wants!"

to

"Nintendo should buy Tecmo."

Tell you what, you go ahead and do all my house work for a week for free and then I will totally consider amending the situation to where I start paying you to do it. Maybe. I will give it serious consideration, I am sure.

Anyone else reckon the system still has a feature not yet shown to 1) surprise people 2) Sony and MS get thrown for a loop and its too late to copy??

Also is MS e3 Presser before or after Nintendo's?
I'm expecting they're going to try and steal some thunder

Those damned Pikmins are quite.so easily topped though!!

FUCK!!!! Wait...I work at 3. Is that still good? I don't want to miss the reactions in real time.

Umm, it'll be earlier in the day (PST).
Dunno exact time.

Anyone else reckon the system still has a feature not yet shown to 1) surprise people 2) Sony and MS get thrown for a loop and its too late to copy??

Also is MS e3 Presser before or after Nintendo's?
I'm expecting they're going to try and steal some thunder

Those damned Pikmins are quite.so easily topped though!!

100% there's stuff not announced yet about the system.
And MS usually goes first. Nintendo went last, last year.

HylianTom

Banned
FUCK!!!! Wait...I work at 3. Is that still good? I don't want to miss the reactions in real time.

There's still time.. file your vacation paperwork for that day.

I'm gonna be useless that day, wanting to watch all of the reactions roll in. This only happens once or twice per decade..

We all Skype/ video
Take a screen grab of oneself
Post to Photoshop guy
Creates a giant collective reaction collage to be used for all future bomb droppens in place of the IGN one.

This skype chat better be as spontaneous and outrageous as everything else in this thread or else I'll end up seriously disappointed, guys.

This skype chat better be as spontaneous and outrageous as everything else in this thread or else I'll end up seriously disappointed, guys.

I've done chats during E3 before. I often freak out over minor things for fun.

"OMG! LOOK AT REGGIE'S SUIT! ZELDA ANNOUNCEMENT INCOMING!"

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'd like to do one big GAF podcast (just a group session on Skype, basically) after each conference to get people's on-the-spot reaction.

I'd be game for that! We also should consider during the conference, because that would be chaotically epic.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Who should Zelda be? Remember Cammie. She should be Midna or Fi because we are never going to see any of them anymore.

I'm not saying Nintendo WILL buy KT, it just seems that to me, the close partnership is kinda to me leaning towards it, but it is a stretch, I'm sure this kind of partnership has happened before, whether it was between other companies or Nintendo themselves were working closely with other companies in a similar fashion with no buyout, I hope that's clearer of my point of view. :)

As for where I heard about the Bandai and Monolith bit from, I do remember seeing the Bandai part in a GameSpot article, but Monolith might have been second-hand info from possibly a user, that's why I said I recalled it but I showed uncertainty.

Here's the Bandai bit:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-claims-a-chunk-of-bandai-6076928

http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-bid-to-buy-bandai-back-on-front-burner-6083620

I didn't want to accidentally spread any facts, as I repeat, I wasn't 100% certain at least with the Monolith bit, but the Monolith buyout happened anyway, it's just this apparent reason that's uncertain and of course could be untrue.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sup nerds. Question: has Nintendo or anyone confirmed that the Wii U has an optical output for audio, or are they going to rely purely on HDMI?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
You guys think a Wii U monster hunter game would throw gaf in a tizzy?

i think it would throw JAPAN into a tizzy and that's more important because, well, i don't think the majority of GAF actually cares about MH. There's a hell of a lot of fake orgasming in the MH threads !

I expect MH related announcements for Japanese launch period, if this relationship with Capcom x Nintendo is what i think it is.

In my dreams we get MH:U - a new non-Frontier game that uses the Dragons Dogma engine but pushed to 60fps. The Wii U has the extra umph over the X360/PS3 to pull it off so what we'd end up with is a

Another approach would be to allow 3DS data to be ported in to Wii U for a MH3GHD but with a massively upgraded engine. Infact - this is the one i'd bet the farm on.

wsippel

Banned
Sup nerds. Question: has Nintendo or anyone confirmed that the Wii U has an optical output for audio, or are they going to rely purely on HDMI?
HDMI only. Wii U only supports linear PCM, and optical (S/PDIF) doesn't have the bandwidth for uncompressed six channel audio.

pgtl_10

I'm not saying Nintendo WILL buy KT, it just seems that to me, the close partnership is kinda to me leaning towards it, but it is a stretch, I'm sure this kind of partnership has happened before, whether it was between other companies or Nintendo themselves were working closely with other companies in a similar fashion with no buyout, I hope that's clearer of my point of view. :)

As for where I heard about the Bandai and Monolith bit from, I do remember seeing the Bandai part in a GameSpot article, but Monolith might have been second-hand info from possibly a user, that's why I said I recalled it but I showed uncertainty.

Here's the Bandai bit:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-claims-a-chunk-of-bandai-6076928

http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-bid-to-buy-bandai-back-on-front-burner-6083620

I didn't want to accidentally spread any facts, as I repeat, I wasn't 100% certain at least with the Monolith bit, but the Monolith buyout happened anyway, it's just this apparent reason that's uncertain and of course could be untrue.

What's KT?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
HDMI only. Wii U only supports linear PCM, and optical (S/PDIF) doesn't have the bandwidth for uncompressed six channel audio.

I wouldn't count on optical. They haven't included anything above Pro Logic II because of liscensing fees IIRC.

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about

Of course, this is only the E3 build, but I haven't heard anything about audio other than this.
The E3 units did not have this, but it's unknown if final retail units will have optical out.

Super lame. Thanks guys.

pgtl_10

Koei Tecmo.

Would be great. They actually are conservative in spending like Nintendo but I doubt Nintendo would buy them. Once you buy a company the talent leaves and I don't think their IPs are enough to entice Nintendo.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Dynasty Warriors
Rygor
Ninja Gaiden
Samurai Warriors
Dynasty Tactics

Good titles but not special. If Nintendo wanted titles then they buy Sega/Sammy.

Also Nintendo really just buys smaller companies like Retro and Monolith. Smaller companies have employees that will probably stay working for Nintendo so Nintendo can acquire talent for less cost.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a cable with added connector a la Xbox 360 for people who want optical out. It'll also just work for people who feed HDMI to their TVs and optical from their tv to a receiver I would have thought.

wsippel

Banned
I wouldn't count on optical. They haven't included anything above Pro Logic II because of liscensing fees IIRC.
You got it backwards and right at the same time: What Nintendo intends to use on Wii U is as good as Dolby TrueHD/ DTS-HD, but also royalty free. Only caveat: The technology doesn't support S/PDIF. It's kinda funny, though: People usually bitch that Nintendo doesn't support modern standards, now people bitch that they don't support outdated legacy standards. Because S/PDIF is really fucking old and horribly outdated.

Top Bottom