• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

So guys I heard a rumour that the Wii U is gonna have an HD Zelda and an HD Mario and an HD animal crossing and an HD donkey kong and an HD smash bros and an HD monolith game and an HD pikmin and an HD Metroid and other HD games.

Is this true? If so I'll probably get one. Probably bullshit though, way too good to be true.

Thoughts?

Christine

So guys I heard a rumour that the Wii U is gonna have an HD Zelda and an HD Mario and an HD animal crossing and an HD donkey kong and an HD smash bros and an HD monolith game and an HD pikmin and an HD Metroid and other HD games.

Is this true? If so I'll probably get one. Probably bullshit though, way too good to be true.

Thoughts?

Pikmin's kind of doubtful, but the rest looks solid.

Terrell

Nothing actually substantial/confirmed.

Some rumblings of FFvXIII, GTAV and F1 being ported to Wii U but again, people might be reading too much/letting the hype get better of them.

I think wsippel found some evidence that the Wii U was already being worked on since 2009 or something like that.

and plenty of photoshopped Miya-Samus with killer curves going around.

GTAV on WiiU is a foregone conclusion. Its time as a defining franchise in gaming all got pissed away with GTAIV, and it'd take a miracle for people to give a shit about it like they used to. So all that they have left to do is sell it to Nintendo fans in the hopes it brings in more dollars and generates publicity for the franchise as a whole. GTAV on WiiU, the cosmos tells me it is so.

CALLING IT.

The BANNED tag! BOOM

There goes the dynamite.

Thoughts?

You got trolled on all accounts.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.

Thoughts?

You forgot HD StarTropics

Oddduck

GTAV on WiiU is a foregone conclusion. Its time as a defining franchise in gaming all got pissed away with GTAIV, and it'd take a miracle for people to give a shit about it like they used to. So all that they have left to do is sell it to Nintendo fans in the hopes it brings in more dollars and generates publicity for the franchise as a whole. GTAV on WiiU, the cosmos tells me it is so.

CALLING IT.

I don't agree with this at all. GTA series will always get casual gamers and the media talking about it.

One game does not piss away the relevance of a franchise. Rockstar does not need Nintendo.

I think wsippel found some evidence that the Wii U was already being worked on since 2009 or something like that.

I think it was wsippel who had said it way back during the first thread that AMD & IBM both had research and development centers out in India and were both probably working on the Wii U together.

and yes, the resumes he dug up show that AMD has been working on that GPU since atleast June 2009.

wsippel said:
hBRRK.png

P9DWB.png

wdWJE.png
that is not his original post I just quoted btw.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
You'd have to go deep within the first thread to find the most talk on this, and there was some talk in the second thread about it. It's not a total indicator though

Another plausible scenario is 1.5GB of GDDR5 on a 96-bit bus. That's six chips, a simple bus to build and still has the eDRAM to compensate. But something I found back during the first thread is that the higher latency of GDDR5 becomes very noticeable when clocked to a certain point according to a test I saw. Based on that, if Nintendo's target clocks are within that realm, it may be better for them not to use GDDR5.

What about 1T-SRAM or whatever it is Nintendo uses? I thought it was different than EDRAM and mroe of a system memory but really fast.

frostbyte

So, I just got back. Did anything happen in the past 24 hours?

Nothing actually substantial/confirmed.

Some rumblings of FFvXIII, GTAV and F1 being ported to Wii U but again, people might be reading too much/letting the hype get better of them.

and plenty of photoshopped Miya-Samus with killer curves going around.

lol at the others' responses.

guek

Banned
an FFvXIII and GTAV announcement at E3 would definitely turn heads. As much as people like to hate on nintendo, if nintendo can show that the wii u offers a noticeable, definite jump from the current gen, I think a lot of doubters will be driven to jump aboard due to hype alone. People are fickle :p

What about 1T-SRAM or whatever it is Nintendo uses? I thought it was different than EDRAM and mroe of a system memory but really fast.

If I understand what you're asking correctly, 1T-SRAM is really designed to be a competitive memory to eDRAM. Being used as system memory wasn't really it's purpose though they did that for GC. It's purpose in Wii changed (ignoring the 3MB embedded in the GPU) and the 64MB of GDDR3 became the "primary" system memory. I really couldn't imagine a comparable amount of 1T-SRAM in a console like you can get with DDR or GDDR memory.

HylianTom

Banned
Look at the box art for SMB 3 and SMG 1's cover and try telling me the Tanooki suit couldn't be cool in space with gravity gameplay:

I'm imagining all sorts of gameplay variations based on "an object of X density moving along a Y vector with an N-degree arc instantaneously changes to Z density.. now use these principles to get over there to that Star Shine!"

frostbyte

an FFvXIII and GTAV announcement at E3 would definitely turn heads. As much as people like to hate on nintendo, if nintendo can show that the wii u offers a noticeable, definite jump from the current gen, I think a lot of doubters will be driven to jump aboard due to hype alone. People are fickle :p

Yep. To counteract people from jumping on the Xbox Fusion bandwagon, Nintendo is going to have a strong E3 presentation with multiplats like these secured. A lot of naysayers will be shut up by this.

If Nintendo can't present the Wii U with this kind of strong support both from the East and West as a first impression, next gen isn't going to be as easy as some other optimistists seem to think.

EDarkness

I think there's definitely some truth to this. For me, the real gauge will be my roommate. If he gets excited, then there's a good chance my other Xbox friends will jump on board, too.

burst

Nintendo will once again be the late to the party, when it comes to AAAA. They will probably only release their first AAAA game when Microsoft is moving onto AAAAA.

frostbyte

wait the aaaa/aaaaa is real now?

yep, AAAA is next gen's equivalent of HD.

Next gen fanboys: Xbox Fusion/PS4 already has AAAA games, Nintendo only has AAA games. How lame, Nintendo's so kiddy, they're always one generation behind, I can't play AAA games now that I've had AAAA games.

EDarkness

Things will work themselves out once we get some real news or something to talk about regarding the system. My guess is it'll get crazy once we get those screens from Assassin's Creed 3 in the near future.

Microsoft is taking gaming out of the AAA ghetto and unfortunately it doesn't look like Nintendo will be able to keep up pace. We'll just have to come to grips with this and accept the Wii U's humble AAA shanty town.

Hiltz

What's the best way to waste my time tonight ?

A) Continuing to go back into this thread expecting real news

B) Watching the newest episode of South Park

C) Checking my online bank account and crying

What's the best way to waste my time tonight ?

A) Continuing to go back into this thread expecting real news

B) Watching the newest episode of South Park

C) Checking my online bank account and crying

I've been checking your bank account all day and there's really not much to cry about.

I've seen worse management of money. bgassassin for a high dollar Nintendo assassin manages his money terribly. Still don't see the need to have twelve mansions and 8 wives spread across the planet. I mean... you're paid well bg, but not that well. Probably why he keeps having to take jobs.

Dude is running in the red like bad.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I've been checking your bank account all day and there's really not much to cry about.

I've seen worse management of money. bgassassin for a high dollar Nintendo assassin manages his money terribly. Still don't see the need to have twelve mansions and 8 wives spread across the planet. I mean... you're paid well bg, but not that well. Probably why he keeps having to take jobs.

You're crazy, aren't you?

frostbyte

even Thunder Monkey's getting a bit woozy from the lack of information. SHOW HIM PICTURES OF MIYA-SAMUS AGAIN!

...see, Nintendo, what have you done to us?

If I answer no that's probably a lie, but if I answer yes I can't be crazy.

I really don't know what to do. Is there a way to be lucidly schizophrenic?

*cough*

I was actually like this for a long time before I heard of the WiiU.

You guys should hear what it sounds like in my head.

Top Bottom