• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

frostbyte

Well, they seem to have a pretty sweet deal. Apple does all the promotion, which in turns promotes their engine, and they get to keep all the profits.

Yep, I mean every Apple ad that includes gaming as a bullet point has footage of Infinite Blade. Epic made an excellent business decision.

I bet Apple invested a shit ton of money to just get that but they do have a monster amount to burn they can buy just about anyone right now

I'll find out if gaming works on that thing when I get an iPad later in the year my old macbook is too old

I'm probably getting an iPad too but I already know touch screen gaming sucks for most genres from experiences on my smartphone. Touch screen gaming, in general, works for puzzle games, shooters (the Cave shooter kind) and games actually developed with touch screens in mind, not shoehorned into RPGs and FPSes.

It's not too unrealistic, except maybe for the Dark Souls part. That's just my wishful thinking.

I'd absolutely expect all major 3rd parties (Ubisoft, Activision, Take-Two, EA) to put their main games on Wii U. Dev costs continue to rise and the Wii U is another easy avenue of profit due to the apparent similarities to 360 architecture. I can totally see some smaller publishers like CD Projekt or some new IPs not coming to the Wii U though.

and Nintendo's quality games are a definite. No need to even question that.

I think we have a good chance in seeing those

I would like Skyrim / Dota 2 and things like that too

the question I wonder able is does the industry have enough resources to support 3 next gen consoles equally or do they have to make choices like Epic (not having 10 teams)

frostbyte

Something else I hope we see or hear about at E3 is No More Heroes 3. Suda 51's last retail game was Shadows of the Damned last year so he may have started work on the project already. He's the "creative director" for lolipop chainsaw, but I have no idea what that entails.

He's also working on a few side projects such as Guild 01 for 3DS, Diabolical Pitch for Kinect and the collab between him/Kojima/5pb.

I don't think we'll see NMH3 until the mid of Wii U's life.

I think we have a good chance in seeing those

I would like Skyrim / Dota 2 and things like that too

the question I wonder able is does the industry have enough resources to support 3 next gen consoles equally or do they have to make choices like Epic (not having 10 teams)

If all 3 consoles are truly using IBM CPU + ATI Radeon GPU, then porting will be a whole lot easy than previous gens.

Man oh man, I'm sooooo hyped for Wii U, even though I'm keeping my expectations somewhat low, if that makes any sense at all. It's 4:47 Eastern Time, and today is the day that IdeaMan is meant to give us some tidbits on dev impressions or something.

frostbyte

Man oh man, I'm sooooo hyped for Wii U, even though I'm keeping my expectations somewhat low, if that makes any sense at all. It's 4:47 Eastern Time, and today is the day that IdeaMan is meant to give us some tidbits on dev impressions or something.

lol he'll just say he's too tired again because he partied too much on saturday or something :p

Nibel

Something else I hope we see or hear about at E3 is No More Heroes 3. Suda 51's last retail game was Shadows of the Damned last year so he may have started work on the project already. He's the "creative director" for lolipop chainsaw, but I have no idea what that entails.

I wonder if this one will be multiplatform on day one.
No More Heroes is the best thing Suda made in my opinion (haven't played Killer 7 though). It's a cool franchise and the combat system is addicting.

@Infinity Blade: it's the first iOS game which Yi didn't turn off and delete after 15 minutes, but it isn't as good as some say it is. Basically grinding grinding grinding.

The fact that Infinity Blade is Apple exclusive makes me want to tear my hair out.
That game is perfect for Wii U, goddammit.

the screen res is too low :p

unless we want to talk about a partnership between Nintendo + Apple next

Nintendo + Sony = fail

Nintendo + Phillips = fail

Nintendo + Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd (Panasonic) = Made a GAMECUBE (not sure if fail that thing was cool)

So why not Nintendo + Apple

some kind of deal that helps Nintendo not having to compete with iOS where iPads and iPhones can stream some WiiU content in return for Cloud support or even hardware support

dunno but it would be good for Nintendo to not have to go head to head against that monster when it decides to enter gaming in a serious way

You know, I think Nintendo would be more open to the idea of putting legacy titles on iOS or even developing if the press wouldn't frame the story as, "NINTENDO LOSES. GIVES IN TO APPLE."

z0m3le

Banned
GTA V on Wii U.

Believe.

From a purely business standpoint, Wii U will get GTAV, I don't even have to believe that, it just makes sense...

During the PS2 gen, there was a ton of exclusives to PS, that is why they got GTA all to their selves until SA, and I am sure that took Microsoft some money hatting, and by that time, Rockstar just wasn't working with Nintendo, that has changed, and we have even seen a GTA game on the DS exclusively, at least for a time, so we will get GTAV.

From a purely business standpoint, Wii U will get GTAV, I don't even have to believe that, it just makes sense...

During the PS2 gen, there was a ton of exclusives to PS, that is why they got GTA all to their selves until SA, and I am sure that took Microsoft some money hatting, and by that time, Rockstar just wasn't working with Nintendo, that has changed, and we have even seen a GTA game on the DS exclusively, at least for a time, so we will get GTAV.

Now imagine GTA V on Wii U running at 60fps while the PS360 versions run at 30fps ^__^

guek

Banned

Nintendo + Sony = fail

Nintendo + Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd (Panasonic) = Made a GAMECUBE (not sure if fail that thing was cool)

some kind of deal that helps Nintendo not having to compete with iOS where iPads and iPhones can stream some WiiU content in return for Cloud support or even hardware support

dunno but it would be good for Nintendo to not have to go head to head against that monster when it decides to enter gaming in a serious way

I've been saying it for awhile now. Give apple their own dedicated apple channel that they can do whatever they want with. Give it full itunes functionality, app support, etc. Let apple manage ALL of it. Allow apple products to sync with the Wii U via bluetooth. Give apple complete control of the channel and just skim off the top.

The problem is neither company would ever go for something like that. Apple wants complete control of everything, including hardware, and both probably see each other as potential threats for consumer dollars.

frostbyte

Nintendo + Sony = fail

I doubt this scenario would even pan out. I don't see it at all.

You know, I think Nintendo would be more open to the idea of putting legacy titles on iOS or even developing if the press wouldn't frame the story as, "NINTENDO LOSES. GIVES IN TO APPLE."

Even legacy Nintendo titles on iOS will dilute the value of Nintendo's handhelds/Virtual Console. This will most likely never happen unless Nintendo goes 3rd party as prophesied.

Nibel

Now imagine GTA V on Wii U running at 60fps while the PS360 versions run at 30fps ^__^

I wouldn't count on it. The best what you can expect is a slightly higher draw distance, more objects on screen and maybe some AA.

RAGE (their engine) isn't made for 60 FPS games I think.

Apple and Nintendo partnership can be very good it still makes Nintendo a whole lot of money they can become 10x the size they are now in a few years if they had an iOS deal

it is a proud company though so they may want to do things alone and as a fan I fear for them in the long run because if this pad takes off and if they do have an app store Apple may come out guns blazing to cut them off

Nintendo will never put their games on a different platform, never.

CDi Zeldas says hello

Nibel

Forget that CDi bullshit; the Nintendo back then isn't the same as the Nintendo now. All their franchises are much more worth and you won't see any of them on any other platforms. They are the main reason people buy their hardware.

I've been saying it for awhile now. Give apple their own dedicated apple channel that they can do whatever they want with. Give it full itunes functionality, app support, etc. Let apple manage ALL of it. Allow apple products to sync with the Wii U via bluetooth. Give apple complete control of the channel and just skim off the top.

The problem is neither company would ever go for something like that. Apple wants complete control of everything, including hardware, and both probably see each other as potential threats for consumer dollars.

I have not checked but is Windows version of iTunes gone?

I know I am reaching but Apple cannot be taken lightly there is so much they can do well and have the money and power to pull it off better than most

if they buy out Onlive and rebrand it for Apple TV that is some serious OH Shit moment there
that is like having a $99 console that does mostly everything

That was the equivalent of Nintendo going drunk for the first time. It won't happen again.

you sure it was not crack? I heard about Sake and Japanese being able to get drunk easier than most but it take something much stronger than rice wine to fuck up so badly lol

Crack was just getting off the ground back then

Nibel

Windows version of iTunes is alive; if not, they would alienate the majority of their customers since there are more Windows users than MacOS people.

guek

Banned
you sure it was not crack?

NcyvY.gif

just jumping at an excuse to repost that gif :p

Windows version of iTunes is alive; if not, they would alienate the majority of their customers since there are more Windows users than MacOS people.

that's right I forget that thing syncs with iPhones and iPods

I hate itunes I guess I have a grudge since I lost my .mac account and most of the songs I had with that lol

frostbyte

I have not checked but is Windows version of iTunes gone?

I know I am reaching but Apple cannot be taken lightly there is so much they can do well and have the money and power to pull it off better than most

if they buy out Onlive and rebrand it for Apple TV that is some serious OH Shit moment there
that is like having a $99 console that does mostly everything

Interesting point but I'm not sure what the ramifications of that would be. Onlive games are usually PC versions of games. How exactly would they get PC games running on the Apple TV OS? and would Microsoft allow that?

you sure it was not crack? I heard about Sake and Japanese being able to get drunk easier than most but it take something much stronger than rice wine to fuck up so badly lol

Crack was just getting off the ground back then

lol you never know.

and now I've got a picture of drunk Miyamoto giggling with Philip execs in my head.

and no-one post that picture of Miya-samus again. please.

Nibel

Yeah, it's a fucking pain in the ass and a proof that those iDevices are closed systems reflecting the company's policy.

Forget Nintendo x Apple. Even though both offer high quality products, they are very different from each other.

guek

Banned

I eagerly await the day apple is no longer on top of the consumer consciousness mountain. They'll be around and relevant for decades, but I'm anxious to see them slip up. I've never been a huge fan of the company.

Interesting point but I'm not sure what the ramifications of that would be. Onlive games are usually PC versions of games. How exactly would they get PC games running on the Apple TV OS? and would Microsoft allow that?

I can already run Onlive on my macbook its just my wireless connection sucks and I need a cable line to play the games so Onlive supports mac OS already

dreamahm

Banned
What we need from Wii U in lunch day?

I wish we get Halo killer ,uncharted killer, skyrim clone, forza killer.

long time ago i dreamed to get nintendo racing title to beat forza .

Also draw my best art & charcater on the vehicle body using my tablet.

Oddduck

So I was looking back at a lot of old Nintendo quotes to get a better idea of Nintendo's philosophy as a company during the N64-GameCube years (pre Wii/DS years). Pretty interesting stuff. Funny how back then, Nintendo was talking to Netscape about online multiplayer gaming for Nintendo 64 and 64DD.

It's amazing how much better Lincoln's interviews were compared to Reggies.

"
Interview from 1998:

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/060/060228p1.html

IGN: A long time ago, Nintendo was courting Netscape and NOA spoke about possibilities of network capabilities in the 64DD -- which even appeared on a spec sheet. Then they were dropped again. What's happening with networking or any kind of linking capabilities?

Howard Lincoln: We are very interested in the category of multiplayer games, including online gaming. We have good relations with Netscape, always have since Jim Clarke founded it. We have good relations with a number of companies in that area. I really can't say anything more about it at this time, but I have high regards for Netscape.

frostbyte

I eagerly await the day apple is no longer on top of the consumer consciousness mountain. They'll be around and relevant for decades, but I'm anxious to see them slip up. I've never been a huge fan of the company.

That day might come quicker than you think. I don't think Tim Cook will be as savvy as Steve Jobs. Tim is a businessman foremost while Steve Jobs is more of a visionary, which has brought Apple to its peak here and now.

Nibel

long time i dreamed to get nintendo racing title to beat forza .

The times of needing are game killer are over; Nintendo games sell better than all of those you listed above.

Although I would get hyped day one if Nintendo ever decides to create a FPS. I would love to see their take on the genre besides MP.

frostbyte

long time i dreamed to get nintendo racing title to beat forza .

We've already got F-Zero.

and Nintendo will never make a FPS. I don't even see Retro doing one either.

Maybe something more like Uncharted (Obligatory AceBandage STARTROPICS reminder) but you won't see any "Halo/Killzone killer" from Nintendo.

guek

Banned
That day might come quicker than you think. I don't think Tim Cook will be as savvy as Steve Jobs. Tim is a businessman foremost while Steve Jobs is more of a visionary, which has brought Apple to its peak here and now.

I friggin hope so. But personally I think apple has enough diehard fans at this point that they could make mistake after mistake and still maintain their market perception and stock price for another 10 years.

The only thing that'll dethrone them in the near future is another company disrupting the market with something new imo.

64DD was a clusterFuu...

I can see where they were trying to go with that but since then they just headed a whole other direction and they stopped trying to have consoles that can be expanded with add ons

imagine a slot for more RAM in a console today wow

frostbyte

I friggin hope so. But personally I think apple has enough diehard fans at this point that they could make mistake after mistake and still maintain their market perception and stock price for another 10 years.

The only thing that'll dethrone them in the near future is another company disrupting the market with something new imo.

Although I think that, yeah, it'll take more than one absolute fuck-up/bomba to bring Apple to its knees.

I don't see another company disrupting the market though. Apple have got the smartphone and tablet market under their iron grip. Android tablets still kinda suck and Windows 8 tablets won't gain too much traction either.

guek

Banned
Although I think that, yeah, it'll take more than one absolute fuck-up/bomba to bring Apple to its knees.

I don't see another company disrupting the market though. Apple have got the smartphone and tablet market under their iron grip. Android tablets still kinda suck and Windows 8 tablets won't gain too much traction either.

Well yeah, disruptors come out of nowhere so it's hard to foresee :p I said that's what would be needed, not that it's likely.

I loved Apple when they were underdogs but sure I would like to see this market madness go away but I don't think they have fans so much as they have lemmings

I am a fan of Apple since day 1... I am always on a mac since my first iMac

but this bullshit trendy hipster thing is not going away soon enough for me. Tim Cook can keep this company floating for a very long time / I am sure they will do many things Steve would not have done but this company is now too big to go away I just don't see them going away... they will just become part of the giants that people use everyday and no longer spotlighted

I am just hoping we don't lose companies like Nintendo because I giant like that wants into Gaming - Microsoft was Scary enough and they took a lot of Sony's/Nintendo's share so far
if you can remember gaming before the Xbox then to me Apple is crazy scary

I want my WiiU low res screen and all :)

Netscape / Yahoo / AOL

you remember these guys? they are still kinda around

what about Atari?

they are kinda around

but I really don't see Apple becoming any of them they are just into too many things to just drop off like that.

Oddduck

I posted a quote from Lincoln about how Nintendo had looked into modems/online gaming for N64 by trying to score a partnership with Netscape. I thought it would be interesting to look back at how obsessed Nintendo was with state of the art graphics back in the day. I figure since there's no news, might as well look back at previous revealings of Nintendo consoles.

A quote from Howard Lincoln talking about Rare's new N64 game
http://ign64.ign.com/articles/060/060754p1.html :

"According to Howard Lincoln, Rare's Dream game (for n64) will provide the same leap in graphics that Donkey Kong Country did for the SNES. Said Lincoln "One of the games that we will be showing at E3 is codenamed Dream and I think it sets a new standard in graphics technology on any home system. In fact, I'm willing to stick my neck out and say that this is the same leap for Nintendo 64 as the SNES experienced with DKC. It's really outstanding work and people will be stunned," continued Lincoln. "

Also transcript from when Howard Lincoln announced "Dolphin" (GameCube) to the media/press. Compare how Lincoln talks about Dolphin (this was before GameCube was fully revealed or seen) to how Nintendo talks about Wii U right now. It was amazing how Nintendo was so willing to share specs on their consoles back then. People took it for granted.

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/068/068084p1.html

Quote from Howard Lincoln transcript on Dolphin:

The code name for this product is "Dolphin." That's not the name of the product, but I'll use the Dolphin name this afternoon when I refer to our new hardware system.

While our new Dolphin hardware will be extremely powerful, it will not be expensive. It will retail at a mass market price for home video game systems.

And, as you're about to see, Dolphin's software will also be competitively priced at retail.

Nintendo has been working on dolphin for sometime now.

The graphics chip is being developed by ArtX of Palo Alto, California. This company is headed up by Dr. Wei Yen, -- the man who was primarily responsible for the N64 graphics chip.

Dr. Yen has assembled at ArtX one of the best teams of 3D graphics engineers on the planet.

We are absolutely confident that Dolphin's graphics will equal or exceed anything our friends at Sony can come up with for Playstation 2.

Dr. Wei Yen is here today in the front row and I'd like him to stand and be recognized. [Dr. Yen stands up amidst applause.]

Of course, we need to power Dolphin with a CPU that's second to none.
A CPU that is the most powerful processor of any current or planned home video game system. How about a 400 MHz CPU?

Well, that's precisely what we're going to use. And we call that chip the "Gekko processor."

Only IBM has the technology to manufacture chips using copper circuitry.

Nobody else in the world can do what IBM does. And quite frankly, anything less is simply not state of the art technology.

By the way, you may have seen a recent article in the New York Times about how Sony and Toshiba plan to build a brand new factory to manufacture a chip with quote "cutting edge 0.18 Micron technology"?

The article went on to say that Toshiba had never mass produced a chip using 0.18 Micron technology.

Well guess what! IBM already makes 0.18 Micron chips at its Burlington, Vermont manufacturing facility!

That's where the Gekko processor will be manufactured. And the Gekko processor will be a 0.18 Micron chip... using copper chip technology.

As I said before, it will be the fastest and most powerful CPU in any home video game system... period.

Edit: Fixed link on second quote. I didn't quote it in its entire form. I just took snippets.

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/060/060754p1.html

When talking about the N64:

"Continuing to thumb his nose at the competition, Lincoln went on to criticize competing hardware. "I think the poker saying is 'read'em and weep' - and that's precisely what Sony and Sega will do when they see our software at E3. You can hook up ten Cadillac engines to 32-bit machines and see what you come up with, but it won't be 64-bit games."

Another Interview:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/076/076456p1.html

IGN64: Speaking of PS2, it seems that most developers we've chatted with have expressed concern over the system's lack of video RAM and difficulty to really harness the power of the machine. How will Dolphin be different in these respects?

Jim: Well, obviously I don't have a PlayStation 2 development kit as Sony hasn't been nice enough to send me one yet [laughs], but you're talking to the same people we are so you know the issues that people are encountering with it. One of the things that Nintendo® is focused on is providing really comprehensive high-level APIs and low-level access to the hardware so that we get the benefits of both worlds. Nintendo® is also very focused on the texture performance of the Dolphin system rather than the polygon performance. And that's not to say that we don't have high polygon numbers, but everyone has high polygon numbers! Unfortunately, texture performance is very difficult to measure. It's much more intangible. Polygons are great. It's really easy to just throw a number out there, "Oh look, we do 300 million polygons." Well what are you going to do with them?

IGN64: Have software houses received finalized development kit hardware yet?

Jim: Let me ask you this, are Sony's development kits final? A development kit is a moving target -- it's constantly evolving. We are still enhancing and revising Game Boy and N64 development kits. We have a lot of developers working on Dolphin today. Developers are not impaired by the lack of tools or information. We, of course, are not making all of that information available to you, as that doesn't really buy us a whole lot, but rest assured that the developers are working.

Perrin: We know you don't like being kept in the dark. But great stuff is being developed as we speak and you guys will not be disappointed.

IGN64: Is the butterfly X-Box demo Microsoft previewed possible on Dolphin?

Jim: I don't see why not. Yeah, they're possible.

IGN64: So you think Dolphin will be able to hold its own against X-Box in terms of power.

Perrin: Absolutely.

Jim: I don't think it's a problem.

Nibel

You won't see anything bad happen to Apple because they are the richest company on earth.

Let's get back to speculation..

guek

Banned
We're just going around and around in this thread...

[/meatspin.gif]

Yeah nintendo of the 64 era was a different beast altogether. A lot of their internal philosophy has changed since then. I think GC really soured them on using cutting edge tech. Let's hope wii's last year has sobered them up a bit.

DON'T google meatspin btw if you don't know what that is...

Top Bottom