• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Cookychan

Banned
[/meatspin.gif]

Yeah nintendo of the 64 era was a different beast altogether. A lot of their internal philosophy has changed since then. I think GC really soured them on using cutting edge tech. Let's hope wii's last year has sobered them up a bit.

DON'T google meatspin btw if you don't know what that is...

You think there's seasoned internet users who don't know what Meatspin is? /lololololol

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I just realized you will never be able to use 3D visors with WiiU :(

Not that I'm planning on buying one in the forseeable future, but still :(

guek

Banned

PJq68.jpg

It's not Lost and no one should watch Lost. Not after that horrible, horrible, horrible last season. You'd just throw your uPad against the wall. It's from some reality show I guess, can't remember the name though.

its that survivor show then?

I never understood the love for lost and do not have cable tv for many years now thats why I spend most of my time on GAF

waiting for ideaman to wake up with news

lenovox1

It's not Lost and no one should watch Lost. Not after that horrible, horrible, horrible last season. You'd just throw your uPad against the wall. It's from some reality show I guess, can't remember the name though.

It's from the American version of Survivor.

guek

Banned
ok...sorry about that little tangent.

I've been thinking about the whole wii u portable backpack that came up a page or so ago. I think I might make that a project of mine when my income goes up to just buy a spare wii u to experiment on. Unless of course a 3rd party goes out and makes something along those lines before I get to it. Biggest problem would be the weight of the portable power supply and ventilation in the pack to prevent overheating.

On an unrelated note, do you guys think apps will be popular on this thing? The weather and news channel on the wii fizzled pretty darn quickly. Would people really use this for ebooks and magazines? My gut says hell no.

Nibel

Engines aren't designed around frames per second I thinks.

Agreed, but their games try to be as cinematic as possible. They put more emphasis on the presentation than on the playability - which works good in their games. You don't need 60 FPS in GTA in my opinion, but it would be nice.

Bagu

Agreed, but their games try to be as cinematic as possible. They put more emphasis on the presentation than on the playability - which works good in their games. You don't need 60 FPS in GTA in my opinion, but it would be nice.

Ya, that whole 30fps=cinematic crap needs to die.

Also, does anyone else get the feeling Nintendo is being so draconian with the NDAs partially to fuck with us.

What we need from Wii U in lunch day?

I wish we get Halo killer ,uncharted killer, skyrim clone, forza killer.

long time ago i dreamed to get nintendo racing title to beat forza .

Also draw my best art & charcater on the vehicle body using my tablet.

That not how you win that how you play catch up Big N need to just make they own new games, So I really hope it true about 3 new IP's

ozfunghi

Well for example, as i said, the memory is a strength if you expected, like me, the system to have roughly 1GB (roughly because it could had a weird number, a bit higher, but less than 1,5GB).

So here you are basically confirming it to be 1.5GB and not 2GB, right? You originally stated you were expecting 1GB or a bit more. Now you clarify that that "bit more" would be less than 1.5GB. You continued that "it was even more than that".

Seriously, i'm not a fan of these puzzles. they basically leave too much room for interpretation, as in retrospect, the only thing you were stating as fact is that is was more than 1GB... which we already knew beforehand.

Oddduck

ok...sorry about that little tangent.

I've been thinking about the whole wii u portable backpack that came up a page or so ago. I think I might make that a project of mine when my income goes up to just buy a spare wii u to experiment on. Unless of course a 3rd party goes out and makes something along those lines before I get to it. Biggest problem would be the weight of the portable power supply and ventilation in the pack to prevent overheating.

On an unrelated note, do you guys think apps will be popular on this thing? The weather and news channel on the wii fizzled pretty darn quickly. Would people really use this for ebooks and magazines? My gut says hell no.

It will depend on an app by app basis. For example, Netflix is super popular on Wii and 3DS.

Here's the thing about that ebook/magazine article that Forgetthebox wrote. People assume it's a rumor that Nintendo has been working on e-book stuff. It's not rumor. It's fact. The question is whether its for Wii U or not. And I really don't doubt Forgetthebox's rumor because Iwata has talked about ebooks in the past for 3DS.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-talks-e-reader-functionality-for-3ds-177137.phtml

"We're thinking about functionality where it will automatically acquire newspaper and magazine articles," he said. "As you carry it with you while out and about, it will seek out and automatically connect with wireless LAN spots, and download information."

Of course, Iwata is probably thinking of Japan when he speaks of these possibilities. And he rejects any connection to similar functionality in Apple's product line, like the iPad and the iPhone: "I personally am a user of iPhones and iPods," he told Venture Beat. "I think of what these mean to me as a competitor. But I never thought of them when we were designing the 3DS."”

Sounds exactly like what Forgetthebox.net was saying about subscribed newspapers/magazines being automatically sent to your system with the updates .

http://www.forgetthebox.net/mag/culture/forum-m/nintendo-e-readers.php

Nibel

Depends. I can see some good educational apps or lifestyle apps which would work fine with it.

So here you are basically confirming it to be 1.5GB and not 2GB, right? You originally stated you were expecting 1GB or a bit more. Now you clarify that that "bit more" would be less than 1.5GB. You continued that "it was even more than that".

Seriously, i'm not a fan of these puzzles. they basically leave too much room for interpretation, as in retrospect, the only thing you were stating as fact is that is was more than 1GB... which we already knew beforehand.

He leaves room for speculation as its expected to be between 1 and 2GB.
As well as that you'll get a dozen developers saying "it's awesome" and you'll get a dozen saying "it's crap".
So he'll always be right.

I like you Ideaman.... but if any Gaffer knew anything they'd lay it all out..... on the table for all to see
Not do some mystic meg astrology crap...... "today someone in a blue shirt will eat a snack between the hours of 2 and 4pm"

You're bound to be right. By the laws of averages.
My personal opinion of course . . . . But no one else on this forum would do what you are, as there's no need for it......!

z0m3le

Banned
Depends. I can see some good educational apps or lifestyle apps which would work fine with it.

I have a tablet in my home, by fiancee hogs it constantly, reading Ebooks, I'll be happy to have a second tablet for browsing the web/ebooks/pandora/ect... besides it will be one hell of a gaming device... To be perfectly honest, I'd pay $300+ just for a tablet that powerful that could play all my old games.

Nibel

I have a tablet in my home, by fiancee hogs it constantly, reading Ebooks, I'll be happy to have a second tablet for browsing the web/ebooks/pandora/ect... besides it will be one hell of a gaming device... To be perfectly honest, I'd pay $300+ just for a tablet that powerful that could play all my old games.

Yeah, eBooks are a good example. And VC on the tablet would be crazy cool in my opinion.

WiiU app store games would be Infinitely superior to iOS games due to controls.

I also expect additional controls would be handy in some apps too

z0m3le

Banned
WiiU app store games would be Infinitely superior to iOS games due to controls.

I also expect additional controls would be handy in some apps too

the only games I can't imagine being better with that controller than a tablet, is stuff like air hocket, since you would have to use a joystick, but maybe a couple wii remotes could work, I'd enjoy the heck out of that if the tablet was bigger.

Oddduck

the only games I can't imagine being better with that controller than a tablet, is stuff like air hocket, since you would have to use a joystick, but maybe a couple wii remotes could work, I'd enjoy the heck out of that if the tablet was bigger.

I know for hardcore gamers this is meaningless but for casuals, I could see the Wii U controller being super popular with familes when it comes to games like checkers, chess, connect 4, board game apps, card games, etc.

Wii U needs a Clubhouse games for the controller.

Lausebub

Banned
Haven't visited this thread for a while. What was talking point of the last 8 pages? Give me anything, doesn't have to be news. :p

z0m3le

Banned
I know for hardcore gamers this is meaningless but I could see the Wii U controller being super popular with familes when it comes to games like checkers, chess, connect 4, board game apps, card games, etc.

To be honest, 2 generations of surface pc's from now, and I think that will be the norm, coffee tables with big 40"+ pc screens that people play settlers of catan and monopoly on would be great, also since it is a windows 7 pc, you could put the android emulator on there, and play virtually any board game you had for that...

I think the 6inch tablet will be fine for younger children, but sharing a play field like that between 2 teenagers, is going to be less popular. I have trouble sharing my touchpad with some people for board games (monopoly, settlers of catan and life)

luffeN

Just tried some OnLive and one thing I want to see from the service going in with Wii U and the others are the 30 minutes trials. Developers would not need to code a demo, because you just stream the first 30 minutes, more or less. Question is if the infrastructure would be there from the big three.

frostbyte

Edit: Nevermind. I wikipedia'd it. Nintendo is affiliate and owner of The Pokemon Company.

Iirc, for the Pokemon IP, there are three owners: Game Freak, Creatures Inc and Nintendo. However, Nintendo owns Creatures Inc so they technically own 2/3 of the company. Game Freak has free rein in how they want to create the games and Nintendo let's them do what they want. The Pokemon Company does the usual marketing/licensing stuff from above and is controlled by Nintendo. TPC don't have anything to do with game dev but more with the billion toys and anime stuff.

Nibel

Just tried some OnLive and one thing I want to see from the service going in with Wii U and the others are the 30 minutes trials. Developers would not need to code a demo, because you just stream the first 30 minutes, more or less. Question is if the infrastructure would be there from the big three.

That's a pretty good idea!

But Nintendo won't let them on their system and Nintendo themselves don't have the infrastructure or the tech.

But the idea is really neat.

Oddduck

Iirc, for the Pokemon IP, there are three owners: Game Freak, Creatures Inc and Nintendo. However, Nintendo owns Creatures Inc so they technically own 2/3 of the company. Game Freak has free rein in how they want to create the games and Nintendo let's them do what they want. The Pokemon Company does the usual marketing/licensing stuff from above and is controlled by Nintendo. TPC don't have anything to do with game dev but more with the billion toys and anime stuff.

Thanks for clearing that up.

That's a pretty good idea!

But Nintendo won't let them on their system and Nintendo themselves don't have the infrastructure or the tech.

But the idea is really neat.

If anything I could see Nintendo going for using streaming to let people play a demo. It is consistent with them being overly protective of the content, and with a stream you don't own anything, and there is no risk of downloading a game where the demo part is simply unlocked while the rest of the game is unlocked with a downloadable key, like XBLA.

Top Bottom