• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - Surround Sound Guide and FAQ

Chucker

AND the ability to output audio to AV cables when video is going to HDMI. woohooo

So this DOES work with the new firmware? I'll hop to Best Buy with a rewards cert and get some component cables and plug them bad boys right into my rec. if I can still output video to HDMI and sound to component.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Thanks to the new firmware update, I plan to send audio via analogue, whilst video over HDMI.

However, I need some help/clarification please, is the audio quality the same if I use either the standard Wii AV (composite) cable, or the Wii component cable?

Thanks to the new firmware update, I plan to send audio via analogue, whilst video over HDMI.

However, I need some help/clarification please, is the audio quality the same if I use either the standard Wii AV (composite) cable, or the Wii component cable?

It's the same.

The new firmware 4.0.0 adds Pro Logic II back into Wii Mode.

But it doesn't work! I tested it. Still no PLII over HDMI with Wii U set to Surround. Still need to analog cables and stereo mode for PLII. Can anyone help me out? Testing with Mario Kart Wii on a new Sony receiver.

Shafto

Just had a quick mess around with Pro Logic in Wii Mode.

Findings (All using Mario Kart, booted from USB Loader GX):

- Setting Wii U sound to 'Stereo', does not appear to result in DPLII output. Setting Receiver to DLPII will process the signal, but you'll notice quickly that positional audio is non-existent.

- Using the 'Wii Settings GUI' homebrew app, I tried switching again to Surround. This sounded much better and more convincing. Positional audio appears correct.

- When Wii U Settings are set to 'Stereo', the 'Wii Settings GUI' app loads this setting correctly (i.e. as stereo).

- When Wii U settings are set to 'Surround', 'Wii Settings GUI' app loads this setting correctly (i.e. as Surround).

- When Wii U set to Surround, Mario Kart sounded great, and positional audio present and correct.

I conclude it is not possible to set Wii audio settings independently from the Wii U mode. This is disappointing, as many of us have receivers capable of DLPII, but not LPCM 5.1.

Bullza2o

I don't think this will work as easily. I think you need to do some other things to get the sub going.
Aww oh well, I'll just save up for a new set if I'm not getting a PS4.

Is there any chance Nintendo will implement Pro Logic II surround for Wii U games in the future? Is it possible with a firmware update?

First of all, thanx to everyone who replied to my previous questions.

So, on the light of the new update I was perusing on the manual of my old home cinema set and upon reading, I found this...
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=ph&ctn=HTS3373/98

Under the section "Disc" it writes that:
PCM: IEC 60958
Dolby Digital: IEC 60958, IEC 61937
DTS: IEC 60958, IEC 61937

I have read in this thread, that pcm is the same with lpcm.

So, do you think that it could work with WiiU for surround sound, if I connected an AV to hdmi cable(this home cinema set has one HDMI out.) or AV TO RCA???
With Wii, I had the two sound jacks from the component cable head in the Aux of the home cinema set, so I was wondering if I could achieve something similar.

I know I could try it by myself, but my set has a distance of almost 500km to my WiiU, since I just moved out and I want to be sure before I spend 400 euros for a new receiver/speakers..

Thanx to everyone in advance!

Your home cinema needs an INPUT (RCA or better HDMI) to receive the Wii U audio.

So I think your setup isn't going to work for HDMI, but would work the same way your Wii was setup via RCA.

CLEEK

But it doesn't work! I tested it. Still no PLII over HDMI with Wii U set to Surround. Still need to analog cables and stereo mode for PLII. Can anyone help me out? Testing with Mario Kart Wii on a new Sony receiver.

Just had a quick mess around with Pro Logic in Wii Mode.

Findings (All using Mario Kart, booted from USB Loader GX):

- Setting Wii U sound to 'Stereo', does not appear to result in DPLII output. Setting Receiver to DLPII will process the signal, but you'll notice quickly that positional audio is non-existent.

- Using the 'Wii Settings GUI' homebrew app, I tried switching again to Surround. This sounded much better and more convincing. Positional audio appears correct.

- When Wii U Settings are set to 'Stereo', the 'Wii Settings GUI' app loads this setting correctly (i.e. as stereo).

- When Wii U settings are set to 'Surround', 'Wii Settings GUI' app loads this setting correctly (i.e. as Surround).

- When Wii U set to Surround, Mario Kart sounded great, and positional audio present and correct.

I conclude it is not possible to set Wii audio settings independently from the Wii U mode. This is disappointing, as many of us have receivers capable of DLPII, but not LPCM 5.1.

So what's the deal? I'll update the OP once I know how this works.

Without homebrew, can you get DLII in Wii Mode?

alf717

What is a good way to test PLII on Wii games? What should I listen for? When I game on my PC using 5.1 lets say I run up to a waterfall. If I face the waterfall I hear the audio from the front speakers and if I turn around it comes out of the rear speaker. Does PLII have the same effect? My receiver is my PC and I think I got this working but my ears weren't picking up on distinct audio coming out of the rear or front speakers. It all sounded like stereo I tested Mario Kart. I'm going to test Twilight Princess and see if I can pick up on any differences.

Surround sound be damned, but at least with the last Wii U update we can finally set the audio to go through either HDMI, composite/component, or both. I was about to flip out if this wasn't there.

CLEEK

First of all, thanx to everyone who replied to my previous questions.

So, on the light of the new update I was perusing on the manual of my old home cinema set and upon reading, I found this...
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=ph&ctn=HTS3373/98

Under the section "Disc" it writes that:
PCM: IEC 60958
Dolby Digital: IEC 60958, IEC 61937
DTS: IEC 60958, IEC 61937

I have read in this thread, that pcm is the same with lpcm.

So, do you think that it could work with WiiU for surround sound, if I connected an AV to hdmi cable(this home cinema set has one HDMI out.) or AV TO RCA???
With Wii, I had the two sound jacks from the component cable head in the Aux of the home cinema set, so I was wondering if I could achieve something similar.

I know I could try it by myself, but my set has a distance of almost 500km to my WiiU, since I just moved out and I want to be sure before I spend 400 euros for a new receiver/speakers..

Thanx to everyone in advance!

If you download the user manual from the link you posted, I can see that this HTiB doesn't have an HDMI IN. It only has 2 x RCA, 1 x Coax and 1 x Optical (see pages 12,13 and 19). The single HDMI port on the back of this is and HDMI OUT to connect the HTiB to the TV.

So it will have no way to receive the LPCM 5.1 from the WiiU, as you would need to plug the WiiU into it using an HDMI cable.

scitek

So if I use HDMI for my video and analog for my audio, PLII works in Wii mode? Even though it's set to stereo?

Surround sound be damned, but at least with the last Wii U update we can finally set the audio to go through either HDMI, composite/component, or both. I was about to flip out if this wasn't there.

No fucking lie - this is the only reason I had taken so long to get a Wii U. There's a good list of games I wanted for it but before this update I couldn't actually output any sound from the console. I can't believe it shipped without this feature. No Optical Out was a bummer but I figured I'd at least be able to play with Stereo.

Thank god for this setting.

I think my Wii u may have developed a fault. I have the wii u into a sony surround sound amp and I noticed today that the sound is not coming through the main centre speaker. The other four speakers and bass is fine. But zero is coming through the centre speaker. Its a new Sony STR-DH130 amp.

When watching normal television the centre speaker is working fine.

I've swapped the Wii U hdmi leads and still the same.

Do you think this is a problem with the Wii U or what guys?

I think my Wii u may have developed a fault. I have the wii u into a sony surround sound amp and I noticed today that the sound is not coming through the main centre speaker. The other four speakers and bass is fine. But zero is coming through the centre speaker. Its a new Sony STR-DH130 amp.

When watching normal television the centre speaker is working fine.

I've swapped the Wii U hdmi leads and still the same.

Do you think this is a problem with the Wii U or what guys?

First basic question, did you try another source to verify the center channel was working properly?

What setting do you have it at? How do you have it plugged in? You're not going to get real surround sound from it.

First basic question, did you try another source to verify the center channel was working properly?

What setting do you have it at? How do you have it plugged in? You're not going to get real surround sound from it.

Thanks for the response - sure I tried the TV and the centre speaker is booming out fine.

I have HDMI from the Wii U to the amp and then from the amp to my TV. The amp is capable of lpcm and generally the sound from the Wii U via the amp is straight up awesome.

I'm playing WW HD and tonight adjusted my normal seating position to be closer to the tv and have noticed zero sound from the front centre speaker

CLEEK

Thanks for the response - sure I tried the TV and the centre speaker is booming out fine.

I have HDMI from the Wii U to the amp and then from the amp to my TV. The amp is capable of lpcm and generally the sound from the Wii U via the amp is straight up awesome.

I'm playing WW HD and tonight adjusted my normal seating position to be closer to the tv and have noticed zero sound from the front centre speaker

Try running the sound test it in the WiiU settings. This will prove whether the the centre channel is working.

Seeing as Zelda doesn't have any dialogue, maybe the centre channel doesn't have any sound. I will test it tonight.

In general, the positional surround from Wind Waker is fucking awesome, especially when in dungeons. Best use on the WiiU so far by a huge margin.

Try running the sound test it in the WiiU settings. This will prove whether the the centre channel is working.

Seeing as Zelda doesn't have any dialogue, maybe the centre channel doesn't have any sound. I will test it tonight.

In general, the positional surround from Wind Waker is fucking awesome, especially when in dungeons. Best use on the WiiU so far by a huge margin.

Good call, I tried the surround sound sample and indeed that last 'ping' came out of the centre speaker, absolutely nothing wrong with my set up!

Thanks again!

Maybe I looked up the wrong thing, but the model # you gave results in a receiver that doesn't have HDMI input.

So what game is good to test for surround sound?Wind waker, I think is quite a good option...

I ll try just for the heck of it to test my old sound system for surround sound, but as mentioned by SPE, it will not work out.
I guess I will connect the Wii component cable to the AV port, pick the two sound cables and connect them via RCA to see what kind of sound I get..:)

TRIFORCE89

Neo Member
I haven't picked up a Wii U yet but I plan to by the end of the year. I've been following this thread for a while though. Glad to hear that the recent firmware update enabled PLII in Wii mode again, as well as the independent output.

Having read through the thread I know there isn't really a solution, short of buying a new receiver / home theatre system that supports 5.1 LCPM over HDMI. But, I figured I'd still ask before I pick up the system.

I use Logitech Z500s for my surround sound setup. S/PDIF, digital coax, or RCA. No HDMI-input at all. Hasn't been an issue for any of my input devices thus far. Has anyone tried something like one of these before? Would this work?
- http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
- http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

I might also pick up a PS4 at some point, and that supports S/PDIF which is fine. I'm hoping the above will be a cheaper solution for the Wii U. But I don't know. Can anyone shed some light?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Was already covered in the op as well. Pretty much all HDMI down converters will convert to PCM 2.0.

Wii U will only output surround over HDMI. Period. Sorry.

Good news is a new receiver will give you better sound over PS4 as well. Usually 24-bit 48Khz lossless instead of Dolby 5.1 16-bit lossy

Edit - the above should give you 2.0 over optical if that's what you are going for, yes. But it won't give you 5.1.

Prologue

This is pretty much why headphone users like me are unhappy with the lack of an optical out and DD5.1 support: Dolby Headphone solutions like the Astro Mixamp all utilize a TOSLINK port to get multichannel audio.

The only other option with the Wii U is a receiver that has virtual surround support for its headphone port - Marantz (Dolby Headphone) and Yamaha (Silent Cinema) receivers do have this feature. Unfortunately, AV receivers typically have pretty bad headphone ports that are unsuitable for high-impedance phones, and adding a headphone amp might further decrease quality (haven't tested myself whether such a setup is suitable for daily use).

I'm guessing nothing has really changed in a year regarding mix amp/headphone use with the wii u without buying a receiver?

Someday, someone will give me a compelling reason as to why I can't just hook in my $80 PC speakers, and instead have to invest $300+ into just a receiver for digital sound. Like I give a fuck if it's digital or analog.

Someday, someone will give me a compelling reason as to why I can't just hook in my $80 PC speakers, and instead have to invest $300+ into just a receiver for digital sound. Like I give a fuck if it's digital or analog.

A sound bar might be more in your price range. Tons of them support LPCM. Games and movies are made with digital sound. I agree with you for music though.

Anything beats TV speakers.

Goodlife

Ok, what am I doing wrong?

Found my old Wii Composite cable (red, white, yellow)
Plugged into back of WiiU, plugged red and white into AV receiver.

Went into settings, set sound output to "both".

No sound coming from receiver.....

Will the Wii cables not work then??

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, what am I doing wrong?

Found my old Wii Composite cable (red, white, yellow)
Plugged into back of WiiU, plugged red and white into AV receiver.

Went into settings, set sound output to "both".

No sound coming from receiver.....

Will the Wii cables not work then??

I'm about to do the same thing in a few days when I get my WiiU.

Does this work? Using the original Wii component cables' red/white audio to a receiver and hdmi out to the TV at the same time?

Goodlife

Found the problem/solution.

The sound will only output to composite/component when the TV is on .
It makes sense, I guess, why would you want the sound pumped over the speakers when you're only playing on the pad, but when I was setting it up yesterday I didn't bother turning the TV on.
To be fair, it did have a message saying TV had to be on when changing TV settings, but I didn't think that applied to the sound as well.

Working fine now.
Zombie U now even scarier.

CPCunha

So my receiver is old and does NOT accept HDMI... so i've been playing my WiiU with TV sounds which sucks... i do have both composite and component Wii cables in storage... what i'm wondering is: Is Pro-Logic2 all that i can get out of the HDMI + analog cables setup or is 5.1 possible?

So my receiver is old and does NOT accept HDMI... so i've been playing my WiiU with TV sounds which sucks... i do have both composite and component Wii cables in storage... what i'm wondering is: Is Pro-Logic2 all that i can get out of the HDMI + analog cables setup or is 5.1 possible?

Well, judging by the very informative original post of SPE, I would say that no..with that configuration, 5.1 is not viable..

I know that the tech guys here have been advising againt home cinema in a box, but I found this and I kind of preferred it..Hopefully, it will work fine:)
Getting it on Monday!
http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/42/100/42/MCS-737/page.html

jimi_dini

I use Logitech Z500s for my surround sound setup. S/PDIF, digital coax, or RCA. No HDMI-input at all. Hasn't been an issue for any of my input devices thus far. Has anyone tried something like one of these before? Would this work?
- http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
- http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2

It depends on what you are trying to do.
The 2 you listed won't convert LPCM 5.1 to Dolby Digital. They will - at best - give you stereo.

Out of the box, no. You will be limited to DPLII and stereo.

If your receiver supports analog 5.1 in (and the good ones do), you could buy a HDMI LPCM 5.1 decoder, with 5.1 analog out. That would give you real 5.1 sound.

CPCunha

If your receiver supports analog 5.1 in (and the good ones do), you could buy a HDMI LPCM 5.1 decoder, with 5.1 analog out. That would give you real 5.1 sound.

Didn't know such thing existed... will check that out, thanks for the indication good sir.

Pitmonkey

Ok, kind of an off topic question regarding audio. I stream a lot, and I can't seem to figure out the Wii U audio.

Here is the problem, I seem to be pigeon holed into either listening to the audio delayed on my capture card, or plugging in to the headset and loosing game audio capture because the Wii U is either headset out or HDMI out, not both.

Here is my question - if you stream, how can I go about getting game audio, in real time, while maintaining audio out to the actual capture devices.

I have managed to get it to work using splitters and "analog" audio via my Elgato, but if I want to use OBS (and the overlay functions it offers) I need another options.

Please. Help.

I purchased a new home cinema in a box.I know, they suck, but lets forget it.

I have the feeling that, while the sound is quite good, the quality of the picture is not so good, as if there are more jaggies.I kept switching the hdmi either directly to the WiiU or via the home cinema set and I had the same feeling that when connected via the home cinema set, the quality was a little bit degraded.

Is that possible or I am just OCD?:p

I had the resolutions set in 1080p.

Also, there were these options in the menu of the home cinema set.
Do they matter?
Color space:RGB, Full RGB, YCbCr, YCbCr 422
HDMI Deep Color:30bits, 36 bits, off
HDMI 1080P 24HZ:ON, OFF
Noise reduction:0, 1,2, 3

Should i check maybe for better quality HDMI cables?

Any help would be appreciated..

I purchased a new home cinema in a box.I know, they suck, but lets forget it.

I have the feeling that, while the sound is quite good, the quality of the picture is not so good, as if there are more jaggies.I kept switching the hdmi either directly to the WiiU or via the home cinema set and I had the same feeling that when connected via the home cinema set, the quality was a little bit degraded.

Is that possible or I am just OCD?:p

I had the resolutions set in 1080p.

Also, there were these options in the menu of the home cinema set.
Do they matter?
Color space:RGB, Full RGB, YCbCr, YCbCr 422
HDMI Deep Color:30bits, 36 bits, off
HDMI 1080P 24HZ:ON, OFF
Noise reduction:0, 1,2, 3

Should i check maybe for better quality HDMI cables?

Any help would be appreciated..

if your cables are bad quality, you either won't get a picture or there will be clearly visible issues like static. HDMI cable quality isn't going to affect just jaggies.

of those settings, use RGB not Full RGB, turn off deep color, turn off 24hz, and definitely turn off noise reduction - that could be what is affecting the picture quality.

if your cables are bad quality, you either won't get a picture or there will be clearly visible issues like static. HDMI cable quality isn't going to affect just jaggies.

of those settings, use RGB not Full RGB, turn off deep color, turn off 24hz, and definitely turn off noise reduction - that could be what is affecting the picture quality.

No, its just more jaggies...;)

Anyways, I have turned them off, according to what you said, in my previous efforts and I still have the same feeling.

Maybe I should check with the colour, contrast etc settings of the set, but I really dont want that as I have already calibrated my tv set quite good and I have been quite content with the quality picture...damn..

Zodzilla

No, its just more jaggies...;)

Anyways, I have turned them off, according to what you said, in my previous efforts and I still have the same feeling.

Maybe I should check with the colour, contrast etc settings of the set, but I really dont want that as I have already calibrated my tv set quite good and I have been quite content with the quality picture...damn..

Hate to ask, but did you try and turn down the sharpness setting? Some TV's default to a higher sharpness level (from picture settings expecting an analog source) that, when coupled with the crispness of a digital signal, causes everything to look jagged and awful.

SOLDIER

How do I enable Dobly Pro Logic while in Wii Mode? Or is it supposed to happen automatically? I have it hooked up to my receiver but all it says is "Stereo" on the display. I'm not sure if it's actually doing surround or not.

How do I enable Dobly Pro Logic while in Wii Mode? Or is it supposed to happen automatically? I have it hooked up to my receiver but all it says is "Stereo" on the display. I'm not sure if it's actually doing surround or not.

If you have your Wii U set to surround it does it automatically in Wii Mode.

Top Bottom