• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - Surround Sound Guide and FAQ

catabarez

I'm not home right now, but maybe I have to double check that. I could have sworn my rear speakers play on my 360.

I'm hoping it does lol. I could not figure out how to make my speakers play out of the rear instead of the side. I deal with it now though -_-

I hope it's okay if I repost this for the new page as the answer might be helpful for some people :)

Question not related to surround, but very important to me. If I hook the Wii U with HDMI to my PC monitor can I connect the sound via composite cables separately to speakers like I do with my PS3 and 360? If not, I'm totally fucked.

There I was reading this thread and thought "Oh good thing that none of these audio-issues affect..." then your post came and I was like "Oh oh... I will have the same issue! >.<"
Though I wonder can anybody tell us if we PC-monitor users can simply use the Wii U Gamepad as a "carrier" and use the headphone-port as a LINE-OUT for a PC LINE-IN, would that work?

If it does I myself will be fine with it as, since I use my monitor, I'm sitting at my desk all the time anyway so a single 3.5mm cable won't bother me.

There I was reading this thread and thought "Oh good thing that none of these audio-issues affect..." then your post came and I was like "Oh oh... I will have the same issue! >.<"
Though I wonder can anybody tell us if we PC-monitor users can simply use the Wii U Gamepad as a "carrier" and use the headphone-port as a LINE-OUT for a PC LINE-IN, would that work?

If it does I myself will be fine with it as, since I use my monitor, I'm sitting at my desk all the time anyway so a single 3.5mm cable won't bother me.
That should work, but you need to keep in mind the game pad's audio isn't always the same as what's coming out of your regular speakers. Sometimes it harmonizes with that audio, sometimes it plays something completely different. For games with off-tv play it would work fine, but again not every game has that.

That is incorrect. Most HTiB's sold in the last few years include receivers that support audio over HDMI (and thus surround). I mean, what would be the difference if you bought a receiver, or the exact same receiver came in a HTiB?
That's the one strange/confusing part of the OP, in my opinion.

netBuff

use the headphone-port as a LINE-OUT for a PC LINE-IN

While this is theoretically possible, it will almost certainly give you unacceptably terrible audio quality (high noise floor, over-modulation) and might, with some sound cards, introduce very noticeable audio latency.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You should note that a dolby license costs a dollar or two. This whole situation could have been avoided if they weren't so cheap.

Question not related to surround, but very important to me. If I hook the Wii U with HDMI to my PC monitor can I connect the sound via composite cables separately to speakers like I do with my PS3 and 360? If not, I'm totally fucked.

according to this and this, it works only in Wii mode.

RedSwirl

Wait, not even DPII?! The Gamecube and Wii supported DPII. Does the Wii U literally limit players to only stereo sound?

Anyway, the non-slim Xbox 360 models also don't support optical on their own but you can buy an adapter. I imagine they could do the same for the Wii U right?

CLEEK

That is incorrect. Most HTiB's sold in the last few years include receivers that support audio over HDMI (and thus surround). I mean, what would be the difference if you bought a receiver, or the exact same receiver came in a HTiB?

I'll update the OP.

Based on the original thread, it just seemed like everyone with a HTiB only had optical inputs on the back. I didn't know you could now get HDMI ones (although it makes sense you can).

alr1ght

Wait, not even DPII?! The Gamecube and Wii supported DPII. Does the Wii U literally limit players to only stereo sound?

Anyway, the non-slip Xbox 360 models also don't support optical on their own but you can buy an adapter. I imagine they could do the same for the Wii U right?

No and No. This is all about Nintendo being cheap with licensing fees.

I can't imagine that's correct, DPII is just stereo output that the receiver finds surround cues from, right? There would be no hardware limitation preventing games from using DPII based on this assumption.

netBuff

I can't imagine that's correct, DPII is just stereo output that the receiver finds surround cues from, right? There would be no hardware limitation preventing games from using DPII based on this assumption.

No developer is going to acquire a Pro Logic 2 license and implement a Dolby surround pipeline for their game themselves, this seems like a very far-fetched possibility.

CLEEK

I believe that the claim of no DPII is just from the fact that Nintendo haven't mentioned it, so it's likely haven't licensed it.

I assume it might be possible to output DPII on a game-by-game basis, but that's just guess work.

FLAguy954

Whatever you do, DO NOT get this receiver. I currently own it and it fails to drive my awesome tower speakers (current rocking a two towers and a center speaker). It is pretty limited in inputs as it doesn't have the capability to pass audio through hdmi (which is pretty fucking important to me in general and the only way you're gonna get 5.1 from the Wii U).

This is the one I am currently eying as a fairly cheap and future-proof replacement:
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I just got a job so I'll be able to get this receiver sometime next year hopefully.

Edit: Nvrmind, it apparently does pass audio. I have the previous edition (5.1) but I still feel burned by Sony so I'm going with the Yamaha.

So has the hardware literally gone back to the state of the N64 in terms of sound support?
No, this is just Nintendo not paying Dolby's licensing fees.

I believe the short answer in all of this is that if you have an HDMI receiver, you should good for surround sound.

CLEEK

No developer is going to acquire a Pro Logic 2 license and implement a Dolby surround pipeline for their game themselves, this seems like a very far-fetched possibility.

IIRC, Factor 5 did for their Gamecube games as the console didn't natively support it.

So it *is* possible, albeit very unlikely.

netBuff

IIRC, Factor 5 did for their Gamecube games as the console didn't natively support it.

So it *is* possible, albeit very unlikely.

The important difference to the Wii U is that the GameCube didn't offer any other options to provide surround sound.

Pooya

Anyway, the non-slim Xbox 360 models also don't support optical on their own but you can buy an adapter. I imagine they could do the same for the Wii U right?

No, no simple cheap passive adapter can solve this issue, it's impossible. The problem is the WiiU console itself doesn't output Dolby Digital because Nintendo has not licensed it. They have to add that to their software first. *IF* Nintendo added that to their software then you can use something like an HDMI splitter with optical out to get DD through that.

As it is right now, the only "adapter" that can solve this problem is a signal converter (like the one linked earlier) and that's not going to be cheap ($150+), you should just go and buy a new receiver instead.

That should work, but you need to keep in mind the game pad's audio isn't always the same as what's coming out of your regular speakers. Sometimes it harmonizes with that audio, sometimes it plays something completely different. For games with off-tv play it would work fine, but again not every game has that.

Oh right I totally forgot that the Gamepad audio won't always be in sync so that could be a problem yeah, thanks for reminding me :/ Well since my first and only game till Christmas will be NSMBU I guess I don't have to worry about that for now but I think I need some sort of audio-splitter on the long run :(

While this is theoretically possible, it will almost certainly give you unacceptably terrible audio quality (high noise floor, over-modulation) and might, with some sound cards, introduce very noticeable audio latency.

Hmm thanks for the warning I guess I was lucky so far then because I didn't have such problems with my Vita and PSP though I have to say I might actually use a somewhat unusual setup for this. My onboard Realtek HD handles the LINE-INs while my Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sends them to my speakers and I usually only use a very low input-level of 10-15% and then raise the volume on the speakers itself :/ Would you know if the Gamepad should be alright like this if a Vita is too?

Also is there actually a HDMI-splitter that splits off audio in component or 3.5mm form?

CLEEK

No, no simple cheap passive adapter can solve this issue, it's impossible. The problem is the WiiU console itself doesn't output Dolby Digital because Nintendo has not licensed it. They have to add that to their software first. *IF* Nintendo added that to their software then you can use something like an HDMI splitter with optical out to get DD through that.

As it is right now, the only "adapter" that can solve this problem is a signal converter (like the one linked earlier) and that's not going to be cheap ($150+), you should just go and buy a new receiver instead.

Yeah, the only audio format the Wii U support is LCPM. Which is lossless and uncompressed. This results in the best sound available, but also requires a lot of bandwidth.

Optical is a legacy format and doesn't have the bandwidth to support modern audio formats like 5.1 LCMP. So even if you could get an optical signal from the Wii U, it wouldn't matter, as the LCPM 5.1 signal wouldn't fit down the optical 'pipe'.

CLEEK

Is there any chance that they can update the codecs via a firmware update if they actually license them?

It's technically possible, but highly unlikely.

The lack of support for other audio formats isn't a technical issue, but based on saving the few cents per unit for licensing costs. Same reason the Wii didn't play DVD films.

Dartastic

It's technically possible, but highly unlikely.

The lack of support for other audio formats isn't a technical issue, but based on saving the few cents per unit for licensing costs. Same reason the Wii didn't play DVD films.
The difference is this is extremely important. Support for standard audio formats isn't a thing that they can skimp on. It's extremely poor form.
Why.

lenovox1

The difference is this is extremely important. Support for standard audio formats isn't a thing that they can skimp on. It's extremely poor form.

Why.

They probably felt comfortable sticking with an uncompressed audio codec because they're using high capacity optical discs.

Isn't Nintendo using a dedicated DSP for audio? It may not be Dolby Digital capable, or they may be some other limitation there. There's no reason the CPU can't handle it, but devs are probably going to need all the CPU cycles they can crank out of the Wii U. Maybe. I don't know too much about digital audio.

alr1ght

0206_eapxn.gif

v0yce

No Pro Logic II support is baffling, considering that even the GCN and Wii supported it

My guess is at Nintendo HQ...

"Most people won't care about surround sound and those who do probably have an HDMI receiver. We can save $.005 per console!"

Dartastic

They probably felt comfortable sticking with an uncompressed audio codec because they're using high capacity optical discs.
That's stupid. It's not about the size of your physical media. *hyuk hyuk* It's about offering consumers options. There are so many consumers out there, including myself, that have surround sound systems that do not have the ability to use them now because of Nintendo's choice. It's terrible.
There we go.

Support for standard audio formats isn't a thing that they can skimp on. It's extremely poor form.
I'm being cornered into upgrading (eventually) because of this (I've been meaning to for years anyway), but how long can this be an issue for people? Sometimes formats have to be phased out in order to bring in better ones. We're not expecting consoles to still support RF video, are we?

alr1ght

I'm being cornered into upgrading (eventually) because of this (I've been meaning to for years anyway), but how long can this be an issue for people? Sometimes formats have to be phased out in order to bring in better ones. We're not expecting consoles to still support RF video, are we?

Find me a receiver or cable/sat box sold today that doesn't at least decode Dolby Digital. That is the issue here. It's a standard that is to be expected. Do you think Nintendo would not allow 480i output if it required additional licensing?

Dartastic

Because I have a sound system that works and sounds fantastic, and I don't want to spend money to replace something that in no way shape or form is outdated in the function that it was designed for, which is outputting surround sound?
Find me a receiver or cable/sat box sold today that doesn't at least decode Dolby Digital. That is the issue here. It's a standard that is to be expected. Do you think Nintendo would not allow 480i output if it required additional licensing?
This. Now find me a receiver that doesn't have HDMI inputs. There are plenty of them out there. The people who own surround sound systems without HDMI, or even HDMI passthrough can't use their surround sound systems with their Wii U. It's a major problem, and consumers shouldn't have to go out and potentially buy an entirely new surround sound system because Nintendo is too cheap to support industry standards.

My Wii U is hooked up to my Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver via HDMI. I have a 7.1 speaker arrangement and the Receiver seems to only output sound to the left front, center, right front, left side, and right side. None of the rear speakers output any sound. Does anybody know what the issue is here? Is there a way to at least force the side sound to come out of the rear? The receiver works perfectly fine with my PS3, Xbox 360, Apple TV, DVR, and PC.

The issue is this...the menu and other Nintendo brand stereo tracks are actually 5.1...hear me out.

Nintendo had decided to mix silence into the other 4.0 channels. This makes it impossible to pull a PLII track or DTS Neo...it will always be stereo because they mixed the other 4 channels as active....active with nothing.

netBuff

There are no surround headphone systems for console use on the market that accept HDMI input, and any possible system that will in the future is likely going to introduce video lag (because HDMI is terrible).

You are right! You can apply DP2 to any audio source. The problem is that Nintendo actively set their stereo track as a full PCM 5.1 Multi Channel even though nothing comes out of the center and rears. This makes it impossible to turn the stereo sound into decent PL2 because the track is already viewed by the DSP as a surround track. The menu, Nintendoland and New Super Mario have this issue.

Epic Mickeys soundtrack is mixed ass backwards. The front soundstage is set to come out of the rear speakers. That game is trash and I wish I could get a refund.

alr1ght

Nintendo had decided to mix silence into the other 4.0 channels. This makes it impossible to pull a PLII track or DTS Neo...it will always be stereo because they mixed the other 4 channels as active....active with nothing.
Are you fucking serious? Holy hell, Nintendo.

I see you linked my post! :D

The only thing I have to add is on ProLogic II support in Wii Mode:

The only way you can use ProLogic II is if the Wii U is in Stereo Mode AND THERE IS AN IN-GAME OPTION FOR SURROUND. Most Nintendo published games (and many other games too) don't have an in-game option and rely on the setting you choose in the Wii's main menu. Since there is no way to select Surround sound on the Wii U without getting 5.1 LPCM, it is not possible to get ProLogic II sound on these games!

For example:

Mario Kart Wii uses the Wii's Main Menu audio setting (that doesn't exist on the Wii U), so you can only get stereo or LPCM 5.1 (which Wii games aren't encoded for) from the Wii U.

Resident Evil 4, however, has an in-game option to select ProLogic II. The Wii U must be set to Stereo mode first (to disable 5.1 LPCM), but ProLogic II does work in this game!

Note that the above examples apply to both HDMI and analog audio. Switching to analog won't fix the issue of only getting Stereo from many Wii games.

Reclaimer

Great info thread OP!

My thoughts:

-Awesome! Uncompressed 5.1 LPCM! On a Nintendo console!? RAD!!!

-Wait, ONLY LPCM!? Weird... Some people are soooo screwed by this... Damn it.

-Glad I have a nice Yamaha receiver with LPCM ... and a bunch of good (but faked) ProLogic-like processing modes for stereo sound as well.

Top Bottom