• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U - Surround Sound Guide and FAQ

StevieP

Banned
I've got my wii u plugged into my Yamaha 6180, which is plugged into a Sanyo 1080p projector. It is listing the connection as 5.1LPCM and when I click on the sound test I can hear the rear speakers producing audio. However, it seems as though both Mario and Nintendo land are only producing 2 channels of Audio. Is this normal?

Pyrrhus

You want to know the real kicker? I upgraded my receiver in anticipation of this ridiculous limitation and then New Super Mario Bros. U only outputs its sound in stereo.

Why would putting the HDMI to TV and then optical to stereo NOT produce 5.1? I would think that if it didn't come out as 5.1 at that point, its the fault of the TV, not WiiU.

I'll test this later, but it makes no sense otherwise.

EDIT: Ignore me...."Optical doesn't have the bandwidth to carry LPCM 5.1." ok, now it makes sense to me. Next time I'll read whole OP first.

Pyrrhus

It's a 2D game, how would you get surround sound from that?

Music mixed in surround, a wider field for sound effects, and actual use of my subwoofer, for a few. The game just uses front left and front right channels if left to its own devices. I have to switch my receiver to All Channel Stereo in order to have the sound output to the subwoofer and the back channels, which isn't as high quality a sound as if the game were actually mixed for 5.1.

hachi

Banned
Oddly enough, I don't think I've been in a living room in many years that used surround sound. I just down know anyone who sets up that kind of thing, even if they have a high-end TV. *shrug*

But only slightly off-topic, one thing that surprised me with the system was its own nifty pseudo-implementation of surround sound. I'm just talking about the music on the gamepad complimenting rather than exactly mirroring the music coming from the TV on certain menus. It's a neat little trick, one that had me messing with the gamepad volume to note which sounds were coming from my hands and which from the television.

Zoe

Wow, that's garbage. Wii U is looking less attractive by the day. My Logitech Z906 setup isn't even old and I can get 5.1 just fine for my 360 and PS3 this way.

As Matt said, it is very unlikely that you're actually getting 5.1 out of your TV that way. The vast majority of TV's will only pass 5.1 via optical if the source is OTA antenna.

AllenShrz

Really Nintendo? fuck you

As someone who has a large HT, Im not going to buy this mess of a console until they fix this.

No DD or DTS in order to save some pennies? Fuck you.

Here's another fun one:

The Amazon Instant Video and Netflix apps stay in LPCM 5.1 if Surround is selected on the Wii U, but there is only stereo audio being streamed. I assume both normally use Dolby Digital, which as we've discussed isn't supported.

I switched the Wii U to stereo and tested the audio on the Amazon Instant Video app though:

I tried Iron Man 2, and it sounds like it is in mono. I'm getting the HD stream, so streaming quality isn't the issue. When ProLogic II is selected, it only plays through the center speaker.

I tried Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon), and it's in stereo and even lets me create a decent sounding surround effect with ProLogic II turned on.

EDIT: I tried Rango to see if it is an issue with HD movies on the Amazon app, and it is working fine with ProLogic II. So I guess it's just an issue with Iron Man 2.

EDIT 2: It doesn't automatically switch to stereo! I changed stuff above to make it accurate. I forgot I had set the Wii U to stereo to test Resident Evil 4! Sorry! It only outputs 2 channel audio if the Wii U is set to surround, but it is still in 5.1 mode.

Are we even sure there is actually anything in the console?
Tha's probably the Wii-next though: imaginairy gaming from an empty box with a unique non excisting controller.
That empty box will be just 300$ (and we will all buy one).

Seems like the best place to ask this:

I want a solid 2.1 Speaker system. So far I've only found some with optical in, and I'm not sure how good they are. Any recommendation of brands and models would be welcomed.
My apartment living room is perfectly square, and quite large, but since we got new neighbours I don't want to install a huge ass system only to get in trouble with them.

Oh and I'm on a tight budget, so my maximum is 100-150 Euros.

Thanks in advance.

Are we even sure there is actually anything in the console?
Tha's probably the Wii-next though: imaginairy gaming from an empty box with a unique non excisting controller.
That empty box will be just 300$ (and we will all buy one).

You just described Molineuxs Curiosity. The future is allready here.

Here's another fun one:

Amazon Instant Video switches to stereo when started, even if Surround is selected on the Wii U.

I tried Iron Man 2, and it sounds like it is in mono though. I'm getting the HD stream, so streaming quality isn't the issue. When ProLogic II is selected, it only plays through the center speaker.

I tried Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon), and it's in stereo, and even lets me create a decent sounding surround effect with ProLogic II turned on.

EDIT: I tried Rango to see if it is an issue with HD movies, and it is working fine with ProLogic II. So I guess it's just an issue with Iron Man 2.
I remember we wondered about VOD services a few months ago and expected this. Well, now we know.

Sanctuary

Nice thread. Could have used this a few weeks ago before ordering the HDMI matrix that I'm returning to Amazon. Woohoo, 2ch stereo!

As a side note though, the Pioneer box will still be able to use Dolby Headphone, even with a 2ch stereo source, and you can also force Pro Logic 2. Even though you are not getting the correct 5.1 channels, it still makes the games more immersive by expanding the soundscape over stereo. Of course whether or not you want the loss in fidelity depends on the game. You still need to set the Wii U to output in stereo however, or you will lose channels.

Dunkelgrau

My PC is connected to my TV using HDMI. Now I connect the TV with my Logitech Z906 via the headphone-out of my TV (3.5 audio-cable). I receive 5.1-Sound.

I think that should work with my Wii U, too? Otherwhise I am fucked.

I remember we wondered about VOD services a few months ago and expected this. Well, now we know.

Sorry, I updated my post with some changes!

I had the Wii U in stereo mode to test Resident Evil 4 and forgot to switch it back.

Surround sound works the same in the video services as the Wii mode. No surround 5.1 LPCM audio and you have to manually switch the Wii U to stereo to use the ProLogic II setting on your receiver.

MCD

Seems like the best place to ask this:

I want a solid 2.1 Speaker system. So far I've only found some with optical in, and I'm not sure how good they are. Any recommendation of brands and models would be welcomed.
My apartment living room is perfectly square, and quite large, but since we got new neighbours I don't want to install a huge ass system only to get in trouble with them.

Oh and I'm on a tight budget, so my maximum is 100-150 Euros.

Thanks in advance.

You just described Molineuxs Curiosity. The future is allready here.

Why not get a PC 2.1 speakers? They do the job and even more.

The lowest Bose music companion got a lot of ports for PC and TVs alike. Yeah yeah, Bose is shit or so the internet say but it's convenient for your situation, no?

Sanctuary

]blacky[;44623542 said:
My PC is connected to my TV using HDMI. Now I connect the TV with my Logitech Z906 via the headphone-out of my TV (3.5 audio-cable). I receive 5.1-Sound.

Uh, unless you have a somewhat unique television model, you aren't getting 5.1 out of your headphone jack. You may be getting sound out of a 5.1 speaker setup, but all that would is a 2ch stereo format. The same is true in almost all cases of outputting through a television's optical out.

As for your question; yes, it will work, and you will get the same sound from the Wii U that your PC gets out from your TV. Which I'm 99.99% sure is only 2ch stereo.

Yeah yeah, Bose is shit or so the internet say but it's convenient for your situation, no?

Not really shit, just overpriced for what used to be top of the line, non-audiophile audio products. I think Bose stopped being "great" sometime in the mid 90s?

Madao

hoo boy, i hit the jackpot with the receiver i got last year. it supports this LPCM nonsense. i have to check if my receiver is detecting it properly since i was only now that i caught wind of this situation.

too bad about Wii Mode's audio. no wonder mario kart sounded different when i played it to compare the image quality. it seems like i'll keep the Wii around along the Wii U (my receiver upscales it decently and there's very little difference with Wii U's Wii mode)

Iceberg

Now that the Wii U is coming home next week, I am also considering buying a Blu-ray Home Cinema with 5.1 sound compatible with Wii U. No PS3 or 360 planned.

Around 400-500 euro would be right, what do you think about this model?

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SC-BTT490

It seems it has HDMI input (x2) and HDMI output. How do I know if it supports LPCM?

lenovox1

Now that the Wii U is coming home next week, I am also considering buying a Blu-ray Home Cinema with 5.1 sound compatible with Wii U. No PS3 or 360 planned.

Around 400-500 euro would be right, what do you think about this model?

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SC-BTT490

It seems it has HDMI input (x2) and HDMI output. How do I know if it supports LPCM?

I think every receiver supports PCM, so you're good to go as long as it has HDMI-in. But just to make sure, I checked the manual. And sure enough, it supports PCM audio. To make tripple sure, you could contact Panasonic's customer support and ask if that model supports multi-channel PCM audio.

As Matt said, it is very unlikely that you're actually getting 5.1 out of your TV that way. The vast majority of TV's will only pass 5.1 via optical if the source is OTA antenna.
Hate to tell you guys this, but it works perfectly fine on my set up. The 360 and PS3 are plugged into the TV via HDMI, set each respective system to 5.1 in their settings, and audio out via optical on the TV to the amp. The receiver indicates that it's getting a Dolby Digital signal and splits the sound through the channels properly. This works on games, Blu-ray, etc.

AND, for sources with stereo sound it specifically indicates that it is not getting a Dolby Digital signal at which point you can change the sound settings to 2 speaker, 4 speaker, or simulated (fake) surround. When it's getting a Dolby Digital signal (which it does) then it doesn't allow you to change the channel setup so it's pretty obvious when I'm getting Dolby Digital.

I'm no audio expert, but I can tell the difference between what lights on the receiver are indicating what, and I can tell the difference between simulated surround and proper 5 channel surround.

But say I'm wrong, what's the deal then? Why is my receiver telling me it's decoding a Dolby Digital signal? Why am I getting proper 5 channel surround? Why does my receiver automatically and properly switch to stereo sound for sources that aren't Dolby Digital (like the Wii)?

CLEEK

Some TVs will pass through surround, but the vast majority won't. And Some can be forced via messing with service menus, but most can't.

It really just depends on the model of TV, but rule of thumb is that the only time you'll get surround out of your TV's optical port is when the source is your TV's tuner, not an external source.

In the case of the Wii U, this is a moot point, as the LPCM audio can't be output via optical. So all that will come out from the TV is stereo. It works with your 360 and PS3 as they output DD, which passes through your TV and then happily goes over optical to your receiver.

Some TVs will pass through surround, but the vast majority won't. And Some can be forced via messing with service menus, but most can't.

It really just depends on the model of TV, but rule of thumb is that the only time you'll get surround out of your TV's optical port is when the source is your TV's tuner, not an external source.
This is the TV I have. http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42LH30-lcd-tv

It says it has a Dolby Digital decoder. Maybe that's why it works?

In the case of the Wii U, this is a moot point, as the LPCM audio can't be output via optical. So all that will come out from the TV is stereo. It works with your 360 and PS3 as they output DD, which passes through your TV and then happily goes over optical to your receiver.
I realize this, I was simply lamenting it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Suggestions for decent HDMI receivers? Looking to spend $250 or less - any ideas?

I'd try and get a yamaha x67 or later. Mainly because you can switch HDMI inputs when the receiver is in standby. I think thats unique to yamaha receivers and a big reason why I chose my 767 (and also because that one had 2x HDMI outputs so I can feed my TV and projector). Buy used if you want cheap.

yamaha 473 (this years model range) is on amazon at $349 and is also airplay compatible if you have an iphone/ipad for streaming.

BTW, are we sure about the 'no PLII'? I guess it requires extra processing to put the surround info into the stereo stream - was that built into the system in Wii or did games do it in software?

any impressions on how good the surround is on WiiU so far? I don't have enough inputs on my receiver (two DVRs, PS3, Xbox, HTPC, bluray player) so was going to just connect the WiiU to the TV and hope to get stereo and PLII from the TV to the receiver.

Any idea if ARC (audio return channel) would support 5.1 LPCM? or would that be stereo only too?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hate to tell you guys this, but it works perfectly fine on my set up. The 360 and PS3 are plugged into the TV via HDMI, set each respective system to 5.1 in their settings, and audio out via optical on the TV to the amp. The receiver indicates that it's getting a Dolby Digital signal and splits the sound through the channels properly. This works on games, Blu-ray, etc.

AND, for sources with stereo sound it specifically indicates that it is not getting a Dolby Digital signal at which point you can change the sound settings to 2 speaker, 4 speaker, or simulated (fake) surround. When it's getting a Dolby Digital signal (which it does) then it doesn't allow you to change the channel setup so it's pretty obvious when I'm getting Dolby Digital.

I'm no audio expert, but I can tell the difference between what lights on the receiver are indicating what, and I can tell the difference between simulated surround and proper 5 channel surround.

But say I'm wrong, what's the deal then? Why is my receiver telling me it's decoding a Dolby Digital signal? Why am I getting proper 5 channel surround? Why does my receiver automatically and properly switch to stereo sound for sources that aren't Dolby Digital (like the Wii)?

what is your PS3 set to? I think maybe you're passing DD5.1 to the TV over HDMI, and the TV is just passing it back down via optical. In that case it shouldn't work on WiiU because the WiiU only has LPCM as an option, and I wouldn't expect the TV to create a DD5.1 stream out of that (would require onboard processing).

If your PS3 audio is set to 5.1, try setting it to LPCM and see what your receiver gets

tenchir

I am so lucky to be able to get a Sony HT-IS100 for 50 buck a few years ago from sony style webstore. 4 HDMI inputs is pretty awesome.

28459.jpeg

jimi_dini

Nice thread. Finally a proper way to inform people.

The Amazon Instant Video and Netflix apps stay in LPCM 5.1 if Surround is selected on the Wii U, but there is only stereo audio being streamed. I assume both normally use Dolby Digital, which as we've discussed isn't supported.

Great Nintendo, superb work.
But at least you are profitable after the customer buys 1 game, so it was totally worth it.
except for the customers that won't buy it because of those cost savings

Maybe the thread title should include that you NEED a receiver that has HDMI-in to get surround sound (or a HDMI -> analog decoder of course, but I guess normally owns those).

what is your PS3 set to? I think maybe you're passing DD5.1 to the TV over HDMI, and the TV is just passing it back down via optical. In that case it shouldn't work on WiiU because the WiiU only has LPCM as an option, and I wouldn't expect the TV to create a DD5.1 stream out of that (would require onboard processing).

If your PS3 audio is set to 5.1, try setting it to LPCM and see what your receiver gets
I assumed that's what my setup has been doing the entire time and it's worked perfectly, which is why I'm a little upset that this won't work with the WiiU. My TV also apparently has a built in Dolby Digital decoder (check my post above which has a link to the TV model).

My PS3 is set to DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, LPCM 2Ch 44.1 kHz, and LPCM 2Ch 48 kHz. Deselecting DD, DTS and selecting 5.1 LPCM gives me stereo when I boot up Uncharted 3. My original settings have proper DD 5.1.

It's a damn shame to again realize that I won't have 5.1 sound with the WiiU. Guess I won't have any other option than going the optical route from the TV to atleast get "proper" Stereo sound out of the WiiU. 2012, it was nice knowing you, I'll be back from 1994 once I get a new receiver.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I assumed that's what my setup has been doing the entire time and it's worked perfectly, which is why I'm a little upset that this won't work with the WiiU. My TV also apparently has a built in Dolby Digital decoder (check my post above which has a link to the TV model).

My PS3 is set to DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, LPCM 2Ch 44.1 kHz, and LPCM 2Ch 48 kHz. Deselecting DD, DTS and selecting 5.1 LPCM gives me stereo when I boot up Uncharted 3. My original settings have proper DD 5.1.

ok, so your wiiU will only give you stereo, because it has no option to send 5.1 over HDMI, just LPCM.

it would have been ok if Nintendo at least supported prologic II, because then the stereo signal passed from your TV could be decoded into decent surround by your receive. But as it is now, unless you have a receiver which decodes LPCM via HDMI, and the Wii U goes into that before going to your TV, you will not get surround sound

Nintendo made an excuse for not going HD with Wii because 'not everyone has HD' but here they're doing the opposite - assuming too much of peoples' setups.

crazy

Matt

You're really, really lucky. That TV only dosen't pass through DD 5.1 audio with ADP, which is very rare.

Matt

]blacky[;44623542 said:

You do NOT receive 5.1 sound from the headphone jack.

Don't have a Wii U yet but I was wondering if anyone with a audio return channel compatible TV and HTiB system has had success playing surround sound audio?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't have a Wii U yet but I was wondering if anyone with a audio return channel compatible TV and HTiB system has had success playing surround sound audio?

this is what I'm wondering. Never played with it myself. Isn't it mostly designed for internal tuners to send surround sound down to a receiver? Not sure if they work with external inputs.

You're really, really lucky. That TV only dosen't pass through DD 5.1 audio with ADP, which is very rare.
Well damn, I knew I wasn't crazy! Unfortunately the Logitech Z906 doesn't have any HDMI inputs, which is odd for a sound system put out in 2011, but I guess I'm SOL with the WiiU. I use both optical inputs, one for the TV out and one from my PC so I was really hoping that I could get surround on the WiiU using the same method as my PS3 and 360. Bummer.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oh crap. I was hoping that I could cheat because my TV could decode Dolby Digital, but of course that doesn't mean it could transcode it.

I was hoping to connect my Sony TV to my 5.1 headset (The Tritton Ax Pro) via optical on the tv after connecting my Wii U via HDMI but it appears that this will only result in 2.0. Thankfully my decoder box on the Ax Pro has in-built Dolby Pro Logic II but this isn't ideal.

Thanks for the thread as it means I know what to expect next week.

Xav

Hey GAF I've been meaning to pick up a new AV receiver to replace my current one, now with Nintendo's cock up made clear thanks to the topic creator I'm more willing to bite the bullet and pick one up. Anyone know if something this would be suitable for getting anything but stereo out of Wii U.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0052LGO3Y/

If not could I get some recommendations, I live in the UK. Also regarding LPCM 5.1, I'm not too familiar with it but is it basically 5.1 in it's raw form but without the DTS/Dolby name attached. Is LPCM 5.1 capable of sounding as good as Dolby/DTS?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey GAF I've been meaning to pick up a new AV receiver to replace my current one, now with Nintendo's cock up made clear thanks to the topic creator I'm more willing to bite the bullet and pick one up. Anyone know if something this would be suitable for getting anything but stereo out of Wii U.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0052LGO3Y/

If not could I get some recommendations, I live in the UK. Also regarding LPCM 5.1, I'm not too familiar with it but is it basically 5.1 in it's raw form but without the DTS/Dolby name attached. Is LPCM 5.1 capable of sounding as good as Dolby/DTS?

LPCM has the potential to sound better, because its not compressed (depends on the bitrate though)

that receiver handles TrueHD etc via HDMI, it should do LPCM

Dunkelgrau

blacky said:

As for your question; yes, it will work, and you will get the same sound from the Wii U that your PC gets out from your TV. Which I'm 99.99% sure is only 2ch stereo.

You do NOT receive 5.1 sound from the headphone jack.

I use this setup (TV --> 3.5 headphone-out --> Z906) to watch TV, too. When the broadcast is in 5.1 (most movies are, news not) I receive 5.1-Sound. My PC-Games are in 5.1, too with this setup, as I said before.
I assumption is, that the Logitech Z906 somehow manages to "mix" 5.1 out of 2.1.

Why should that be different with Wii U?

]blacky[;44627562 said:
I use this setup (TV --> 3.5 headphone-out --> Z906) to watch TV, too. When the broadcast is in 5.1 (most movies are, news not) I receive 5.1-Sound. My PC-Games are in 5.1, too with this setup, as I said before.
I assumption is, that the Logitech Z906 somehow manages to "mix" 5.1 out of 2.1.

Why should that be different with Wii U?

From the website:

jItWl.png

A 3.5 mm headphone jack can only carry two channels of audio, so you aren't getting true surround sound. The speakers are mixing stereo audio the same way the ProLogic II setting does on other receivers.

StevieP

Banned

But at least you are profitable after the customer buys 1 game, so it was totally worth it.

Maybe the thread title should include that you NEED a receiver that has HDMI-in to get surround sound (or a HDMI -> analog decoder of course, but I guess normally owns those).

They're losing money per console. Hence no licensing.

I've got my wii u plugged into my Yamaha 6180, which is plugged into a Sanyo 1080p projector. It is listing the connection as 5.1LPCM and when I click on the sound test I can hear the rear speakers producing audio. However, it seems as though both Mario and Nintendo land are only producing 2 channels of Audio. Is this normal?

Anyone? It seems that someone else in the thread mentioned that Mario is only mixed in stereo, but what about Nintendo Land? The minigames seem front-loaded in that as well, and a bunch of them are in 3D. I haven't picked up any other games yet due to lack of time (and will, when it comes to poor ports).

And games with surround sound, since it's apparently not a mandate...

You should be sorry. :p So should Nintendo. It would cost me $600-$700 to get a comparable quality receiver +HDMI. Even an entry level receiver is $200. Not worth it at this time since this is the only device on the planet that I have encountered that would give me this issue and there is currently nothing compelling on the Wii U that would justify this purchase to me.

Thanks for the thread though. Should provide people with all the answers they need since that other thread had the same questions on every page.

Got one for 100$ at eBay.

They're losing money per console. Hence no licensing.

Anyone? It seems that someone else in the thread mentioned that Mario is only mixed in stereo, but what about Nintendo Land? The minigames seem front-loaded in that as well, and a bunch of them are in 3D. I haven't picked up any other games yet due to lack of time (and will, when it comes to poor ports).

All of the Nintendo branded releases are in stereo. LPCM. Is actually uncompressed audio. If anyone remembers the early days of Blu-Ray you'll remember that most of the discs had LPCM as the high-resolution audio format.

Top Bottom