• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

Can you bring the Wii U Game Pad on the go? For example, download SNES/NES games from the Virtual Console and then take them with you when you travel as if it were a gameboy? I heard you could do this...from friends.

No support for virtual console games on the game pad... yet
And the gameoad it's not a handheld... You still need the console for playing games

Edit: damn, beaten like a redhead stepchild

Pineconn

Not thread-worthy and kind of irrelevent (sorry!), but here you go. The Ohio State University Marching Band is performing a video game show, and I'm 90% sure it's for this Saturday (away at Michigan State). I haven't seen the drill charts, but the music will consist of themes from Pokémon, Tetris, Mario (main theme and Star theme), Super Mario World (main theme), Halo, Zelda (Gerudo Valley and main theme), and Super Mario World (credits), in that order. I'll keep you updated.

CaVaYeRo

Aside from those Wii U hardware pics & video, we could also take some gameplay.

Here's Mass Effect 3: http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/34791/V%EDdeo%3A+Wii+U+expande+Mass+Effect+3/ (some out of focus gameplay included :p)

TBH, I was expecting way less than that. Game looks good (way better than other launch ports), Wii U features actually fit and switching from TV to Off-TV mode is immediate, as you can see. Rather impressive IMO.

I also liked TTT2 current status. Ninja Gaiden was fluent too.

We just posted new Nano Assault Neo gameplay / demonstration: http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/34801/Nano+Assault+Neo:+indie+HD+en+Wii+U/

The guy explains you can use touch screen for rotating the map. Split screen is no more: this is 2 screens for 2 players, same as Black Ops II. However, this isn't instant Off-TV play. You have to pause the game, send it to GamePad screen.

BowieZ

Banned
The campaign seems obvious, for the US at least.

YnKOV.png
Just have Mario don the outfit and the point:

Wii WANT U!

And make it a little gritty not to turn off teh hardcorez.

D-e-f-

Banned
I asked D-e-f this today, but I haven't seen or heard this explicitly.

Can you provide a concrete source?

It would seem to me that wm+ would only be used on:
- Metroid Blast
- Zelda Battle Quest

While these wouldn't seem to make any use of it:
- Mario Chase
- Animal Crossing: Sweetest Day
- Luigi's Ghost Mansion
- Pikmin Adventure

I would assume all the 6 single player games would only use the GamePad.

Nintendo Land as a whole requires WiiM+, that is definitely official! It's either the complete game or nothing.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/31803

Something like that Animal Crossing game will probably not make use of the feature but the requirement is for the main software as a whole, not specific to certain pieces of the software so: Nintendo Land => WM+ required.

You know what I find sad/funny?

IGN said:
Watching the company move from a GamePad-centric message to something more broad, incorporating discussions of TVii, asynchronous gameplay and Miiverse has truly been a revelation, but each iteration of that message, and each subsequent showing, seems to be refined.

Why is it so difficult to get this straight? Asynchronous vs. Asymmetric. Especially for native English speakers, the difference should be way more apparent than to non-native speakers, in my opinion (one refers to time, the other to the way something is done [gameplay]). Yet, I see this getting screwed up all over the place. Asynchronous is even harder to spell and pronounce than asymmetric.

I wonder what the people proofreading these articles are doing all day. Especially with an interview from an event that happened 11 days before the article is published.

/rant

What's great is that the system is so small and compact that if too far from the Wii U, you can just like bring it right next to your bed or else to play on the gamepad.

First Nintendo console I don't pre-order.

Not because I don't want it, because I can't find a place to accept my pre-order lol

The "Hardcore controller" is the one that sold me to be honest. I got tired of all the swinging and shit.

Can't wait to put my hands on one of them. And PIKMIN 3 <3 <3 <3

So, if theres a lack of analouge triggers in general, how can we expect to play racing games efficiently?

Edit: Just saw that the wii classic controller was analouge. Why did they omit this feature?

And if there's a lack of analogue triggers in general, how can we expect to play Gamecube games efficiently? Surely they're coming to the new VC? Very odd choice, to say the least.

Dunno, hopefully they learnt from the wii situation an manufactured enough systems to meet initial demand.

I'm sure that they'd like to do that, but I don't really think that it's possible. Many stores are already cutting off pre-orders and Nintendo hasn't even started to market the console to the "Wii market" yet. So it's only going to get worse once that starts.

Rootbeer

Banned
And if there's a lack of analogue triggers in general, how can we expect to play Gamecube games efficiently? Surely they're coming to the new VC? Very odd choice, to say the least.

It does concern me...
At the very least the Pro gamepad should have triggers. the U controller would benefit from them, but would be fine either way. Sad that Nintendo isn't considering this.

Guess we can look forward to an upgraded pro gamepad maybe 18 months out... just like we got an update from Wii classic controller -> Wii classic controller pro

Thanks, Nintendo!!

Mantorok

I'm in UK and I've had my eyes off the Wii-U but now that it's coming closer to launch I'm gettting the itch to have a serious look at it.

Has anyone seen any good trade-in deals for your old Wii? What is the best price on the high-street in UK? Is the Wii-U looking promising despite the bad press?

Sorry I'm being lazy here but I'm playing catch up with no available time!

Effect

Typically how big are current PS3/360 games when they're put up for digital download? I would assume Wii U games wouldn't be drastically bigger, at least at the start. Just trying to get a feel of what one could be looking forward to.

Banned
Typically how big are current PS3/360 games when they're put up for digital download? I would assume Wii U games wouldn't be drastically bigger, at least at the start. Just trying to get a feel of what one could be looking forward to.
Infamous 2 full download is around 15GB. LBP2 is around 6 or something. Depends on the game. A game like uncharted or god of war iii would use the full 25GB.

As a side note, afaik only two Wii games being on a double-layer discs are Brawl and Xenoblade, so if this is of any indication I am inclined to think next Monolith and Smash games will take advantage of the bigger storage space as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Size on disk isn't always a good indicator of digital size, as there's less pressure to compress data. Especially on the PS3.

That bring said, the usual culprit of modern game size is HD video. Video captured at 720p is already large. 1080p is massive. Games these days, when using pre-rendered video, opt to use those resolutions as anything less on modern displays tends to look like bollocks.

Audio also chews up a lot of space. Lots of dialogue will add up, and something like the GTA radio stations speak for themselves.

Coupled with the growing size of high quality assets, like textures, it's no surprise games are huge. These days PC games are probably on average ~10GB, a little more or less depending on the game, with some extreme examples like Max Payne 3 and Shogun 2 passing 20GB.

You've also got to factor in DLC, which is quite large these days. Bigger stuff like the various Battlefield 3 packs really add up.

If you're planing to do a lot of full game digital purchases, neither Wii U unit will cut it. Better invest in a portable HDD.

Is Trilogy on a single disc?
I was not aware of it.

I would purchase the boxset but only at a convenient price, especially since I already own all three games in their original releases
Nintendo, please, re-release the trilogy on Wii U!
Yep, single dual layer disc. Trilogy and Brawl gave me an excuse to buy a black Wii. My launch Wii wouldn't play dual layer discs. (Yes, I tried cleaning the lens.)

Edit: My copy is in prime condition as well, but I'm not parting with it any time soon.

My launch Wii wouldn't play dual layer discs. (Yes, I tried cleaning the lens.)

Same problem here.
For some time my Wii can't boot anymore neither Brawl nor Xenoblade, and I don't think I will bother purchasing one of those lens cleaning kits, since Wii U is due out in a couple months, I only hope I will be able to export my old save files.

Same problem here.
For some time my Wii can't boot anymore neither Brawl nor Xenoblade, and I don't think I will bother purchasing one of those lens cleaning kits, since Wii U is due out in a couple months, I only hope I will be able to export my old save files.
Yeah, I've had my black Wii for ever two years now. I feel it was worth double dipping. Plus Xenoblade.

I'm definitely looking forward to whatever Monolithsoft is working on for WiiU. Maybe a deal with Namco could bring us a new BK.

Same problem here.

I really really hope the Pro controller is good. Been using the Gamecube controllers for so long now with the Smash games I know it's going to feel weird for a little while.

I really really hope the Pro controller is good. Been using the Gamecube controllers for so long now with the Smash games I know it's going to feel weird for a little while.

Damn, I almost forgot it, no GC controllers, what a nuisance!

Speaking of which, I have a CC and a CCPro, I hope I could keep using them on Wii U, at least to play those Wii/VC games compatible.

Effect

Ugh. I need to stay away from the Wii U tech/rumor threads. Give me nothing but a headache. Don't really care what's in the system as long as the end result is good at this point.

There will be gamecube controllers on wii u. If there are Virtual Boy controllers you can plug into a Wii then there will be GC controllers on Wii U. There are adapters for everything.

Thraktor

I really hope they release wireless versions of the N64 and Gamecube controllers for the Wii U for use with the Virtual Console. The SNES controller for the Wii's pretty cool, but it's rather useless when the Classic Controller works perfectly for SNES games anyway. The N64 and GC had much more idiosyncratic controllers, though, and I'd be hesitant to buy VC games from either console without a suitable controller to play with.

I really hope they release wireless versions of the N64 and Gamecube controllers for the Wii U for use with the Virtual Console. The SNES controller for the Wii's pretty cool, but it's rather useless when the Classic Controller works perfectly for SNES games anyway. The N64 and GC had much more idiosyncratic controllers, though, and I'd be hesitant to buy VC games from either console without a suitable controller to play with.

I'm tired of so many controllers but I would totally buy a N64 wireless controller for VC games. It just isn't the same playing the Zelda games without the true C buttons.

D-e-f-

Banned
Edit: My copy is in prime condition as well, but I'm not parting with it any time soon.

...I see what you did there :p

Damn, I almost forgot it, no GC controllers, what a nuisance!

Speaking of which, I have a CC and a CCPro, I hope I could keep using them on Wii U, at least to play those Wii/VC games compatible.

There'll probably be adapters again within a few months. You can plug any controller into anything these days with these things. You could use your NES pad on your toaster if it had a USB port, probably.

...and right after I've finished typing that, I read:

There will be gamecube controllers on wii u. If there are Virtual Boy controllers you can plug into a Wii then there will be GC controllers on Wii U. There are adapters for everything.

:p y u haf to b fastr than mii!!!??

Kacho

Reading that interview with Reggie where he discusses how unique and integrated Miiverse is gets me very excited. I usually don't lap up PR talk like this, but it sounds like they may have something special here. Can't wait to see how it all works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom