• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cdon.no/spill/nintendo_wii_u...-size=100&237569-sort-order=124&237569-page=1

I never heard of this site but they have an amazing list of WiiU games, I doubt its true but if it turns out to be true wow
Some of these have been rumored some have been speculated and some seem flat out made up lol

I will list all the unannounced games on the list
Dirt
Dragons Dogma
Endless Ocean
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Fire Emblem
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance
Mii Explore
Need for Speed
Nintendogs Kennel
Phantasty Star Online 2
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013
Ridge Racer
Sonic
SSX
Soul Calibur V
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Monkey Ball Cafe
The Amazing Spider-Man
Tiger Woods 13
Tony Hawk
Trauma Center
These are very possible, not sure about epic yarn 2, nintendogs, and doom

wsippel

Banned
people give them a lot of flack but I've always noticed these partnerships the only complaints have been from western devs it seems
They certainly are "hard to work with" - but judging by the Iwata asks: Xenoblade, not the way people think they are. Sure, they do want to influence the creative process by having their own producers, and in some cases writers and editors on the project (which doesn't seem all that uncommon - see Overstrike/ Fuse for reference), and I assume Mario Club is a lot more thorough and strict than, say, Volt when it comes to bugs or other technical issues (and I consider that a good thing), but the main "problem" I've seen in that interview was completely unexpected, but comes down to the old Miyamoto quote: "A delayed game will eventually be good, a bad game will stay bad forever" or something.

Basically, when Monolith said they couldn't achieve their initial goals within the deadline and wanted to cut shit down because the team was kinda burned out, Nintendo did something no "sane" publisher would do: They gave them another year and told Monolith to deliver the project as it was planned. Delays are acceptable, compromises are not.

D-e-f-

Banned
On a side tangent, with media attitude towards Wii U and much of the core gaming community in general, I can only imagine how many review sources will be trying to shit all over Wii U titles. Every generation the hostility seems to be getting worse.

I mean, I've reviewed games myself and I can tell you first hand that there's no difference from a reviewer than your average gaffer... hell, most reviewers are gaffer's and many I know personally simply don't like Nintendo.

We already know that ZombiU will get shit on for unspectacular art-style, aiming/controls and looking at the gamepad even though that's part of the design philosophy. NSMBU will get shit on for being "another 2D Mario game after NSMB2 which does nothing interesting with the GamePad" and NintendoLand will get shit on because it's "just a minigame collection which is fun for a couple of family events without much lasting appeal"

On a side tangent, with media attitude towards Wii U and much of the core gaming community in general, I can only imagine how many review sources will be trying to shit all over Wii U titles. Every generation the hostility seems to be getting worse.

I mean, I've reviewed games myself and I can tell you first hand that there's no difference from a reviewer than your average gaffer... hell, most reviewers are gaffer's and many I know personally simply don't like Nintendo.

you just have to find a trusted source for reviews someone who does not go easy on Nintendo games but still enjoy them

Edge Magazine maybe?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
E3 kinda sucks these days but if Nintendo brings the games and Sony/MS being the new consoles it could be the best E3 in a long time. We won't even need ubisoft to bail anyone out again lol.

If I put my raving graphics whoring aside for a while. I'm pretty sure that the best of Nintendo games will look amazing on WiiU and will compete quite well when the next HD twins comes along.

I'm sure the gameplay will exceed my expectations.

In terms of next years E3. If some of the current hardware rumours are correct then the specs are going to be eye watering for the Sony/MS machines. The next Halo or Uncharted on these machines should be an awesome prospect.

I really hope that MS and Sony don't go whole-hog on the graphics for the next machines. Last thing I want is another generation of good devs closing down due to the rising cost of development.

Meelow

Banned
If I put my raving graphics whoring aside for a while. I'm pretty sure that the best of Nintendo games will look amazing on WiiU and will compete quite well when the next HD twins comes along.

In terms of next years E3. If some of the current hardware rumours are correct then the specs are going to be eye watering for the Sony/MS machines. The next Halo or Uncharted on these machines should be an awesome prospect.

You mean the 8xxx rumor?

I really hope that MS and Sony don't go whole-hog on the graphics for the next machines. Last thing I want is another generation of good devs closing down due to the rising cost of development.

This will continue to happen until the mid-tier retail market returns to the west. It's basically dead right now, which forces some devs into making games with AAA budgets even though their style of games may not be suited for that. Japan still has a thriving mid-tier market which is why you don't see nearly as many studios shutting down there.

wsippel

Banned
And all that power, if it actually exists, will be wasted on Kinect and Wonderbook, and safe sequels to multimillion selling IPs - like Halo or Uncharted. ;)

They certainly are "hard to work with" - but judging by the Iwata asks: Xenoblade, not the way people think they are. Sure, they do want to influence the creative process by having their own producers, and in some cases writers and editors on the project (which doesn't seem all that uncommon - see Overstrike/ Fuse for reference), and I assume Mario Club is a lot more thorough and strict than, say, Volt when it comes to bugs or other technical issues (and I consider that a good thing), but the main "problem" I've seen in that interview was completely unexpected, but comes down to the old Miyamoto quote: "A delayed game will eventually be good, a bad game will stay bad forever" or something.

Basically, when Monolith said they couldn't achieve their initial goals within the deadline and wanted to cut shit down because the team was kinda burned out, Nintendo did something no "sane" publisher would do: They gave them another year and told Monolith to deliver the project as it was planned. Delays are acceptable, compromises are not.

I have no doubt they are hard to work with but gamers benefit from games that tend to be high quality. I think devs are mostly happy with the end results when they have achieved something special working with Nintendo

I'm happy they gave Xenoblade an extra year I just wish they supported it like a Zelda title
I hope they threat Monolith even better this gen and give them all the time and marketing they need.

OryoN

If Most Wanted hits the WiiU, I'll wait for that version without hesitation.

Miiverse + Autolog + ??? = Profit!

+ no analog triggers? I kid, I kid.

I'm really happy about every thing about Wii U so far, cept that one issue. I understand that Nintendo might have looked at the number of racing games on Wii and figured that they made out just fine without them. However, with Wii U looking so stellar thus far, I'd figure they would rather leave nothing unchecked. I don't want this come back to bite them, having multiplatform (racing/vehicle )games that feel the slightest bit less playable on Wii U.

Come on Nintendo, surprise us with analog triggers w/ digital click!

Who cares? It's not as of you can trust the majority of the games media anyway, just find a couple of reviewers you respect & follow them( or just watch gameplay vids such as GB's QL's, even if they are missing the point of a game it still usually has enough in it to see whether it is worth getting).

too late to change to beastly hardware now these guys have monster GPUs already planned.

This is good news for Nintendo fans because where these guys go is where the next Nintendo console will be forced to achieve next gen beyond Wii U.

Also for devs just because you have that very strong hardware in you hands does not mean you have to break the bank trying to use it to the max levels. The other thing is I don't see PC devs being broken down from developing high end PC titles so it must be something else that is cause all these loses.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

honestly my only problem with the wii was the fact that it wasn't in HD. I never really cared about high-end graphics in nintendo games mainly because most of their titles have great artstyles that compensate for lack of hardware power. if a game like wind waker came out on wii I would have been very satisfied. I think SS looks great too but like I said the only thing that hurt me was that I couldn't play these games on my LCD without them looking like utter shit. So I'm not really expecting much from the wii U. with that being said I can't wait until I get my ps4 after launch in two years.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
A couple of questions:

1) which is your most wanted "launch window" title for the Wii U?
"ver long list of games" here

and

2) which is our most wanted "post launch window" title already announced for the Wii U?
Up to now we can consider inlcuded in this list Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros 4, Dragon Quest X and the new Monolith IP announced b Iwata, I think

and

3) which is your most wanted "unannounced title" for the Wii U?
"unleash your creativity" here

My replies:

1) Zombi/MH Tri/Pikmin. Really hard to chose among this
2) New Monolith IP. I'm really looking forward for this.
3) Obviously a Nintendo brand. Probably the next iteration of an HD Metroid with cinematics approach, scans by Gamepad and so on.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
And all that power, if it actually exists, will be wasted on Kinect and Wonderbook, and safe sequels to multimillion selling IPs - like Halo or Uncharted. ;)

Ha ha. Yes. But I hope there will be some room for innovation.

One of the things I'm secretly hoping to see on WiiU is that WiiUPad does offer up the ability for user generated content. There is always a chance that there will be some sort of true community based game generation that will allow new and exciting gameplay ideas.

As an example. Asymmetrical gameplay content generation could allow users to generate in game tools, modify environments and AI in games in fairly simple or drastic ways to change the dynamics of the games and allow emergent gameplay that is propagated persistently via the online infrastructure.

I think ZombiU is a early example of that. Were character who die become zombies that are persistent.

wsippel

Banned
I have no doubt they are hard to work with but gamers benefit from games that tend to be high quality. I think devs are mostly happy with the end results when they have achieved something special working with Nintendo

I'm happy they gave Xenoblade an extra year I just wish they supported it like a Zelda title
I hope they threat Monolith even better this gen and give them all the time and marketing they need.
As far as I understand, the "problem" was that they gave Monolith too much time. ;)

Anyway, you're right that they should have done a lot more to market the title, as the sales really didn't reflect the ratings at all - highest rated JRPG in years, maybe even the highest rated JRPG of all time. Globally. On the other hand, the shout out at the Wii U Presentation gave me hope. Xenoblade was probably considered a test, the results were probably far better than expected, and the team reached a point where their next project is basically mentioned in one sentence with the next Smash Bros. That's huge - and well deserved. And it's another thing I love about Nintendo recently: They put the creators in the spotlight. Not just IPs or studios, but the actual people behind the titles.

cyberheater

honestly my only problem with the wii was the fact that it wasn't in HD. I never really cared about high-end graphics in nintendo games mainly because most of their titles have great artstyles that compensate for lack of hardware power. if a game like wind waker came out on wii I would have been very satisfied. I think SS looks great too but like I said the only thing that hurt me was that I couldn't play these games on my LCD without them looking like utter shit. So I'm not really expecting much from the wii U. with that being said I can't wait until I get my ps4 after launch in two years.

If the Wii had been a bit more powerful. Offered up the same games at 720p with a smack of AA then it would have been a totally different story. I guess it it had been three Gamecubes duck taped together rather then two.

oneils

Anyone here on the fence? I skipped Gamecube and Wii. I'm very interested in the Wii U but none of the launch titles really catch my fancy. The ones I am interested in are titles I'd rather play on PC.

If the Wii-U had an interesting RPG (other than ME3) for launch, I would probably buy it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
If the Wii had been a bit more powerful. Offered up the same games at 720p with a smack of AA then it would have been a totally different story. I guess it it had been three Gamecubes duck taped together rather then two.

Idk its different for me. I'm not really a hardware buff but depending on the ip I like the benefits that better hardware provides

wsippel

Banned
Anyone here on the fence? I skipped Gamecube and Wii. I'm very interested in the Wii U but none of the launch titles really catch my fancy. The ones I am interested in are titles I'd rather play on PC.

If the Wii-U had an interesting RPG (other than ME3) for launch, I would probably buy it.
Good RPGs at launch are incredibly rare. But you can play Xeoblade on Wii U, and you'll be able to play the next game by that team, which will hopefully be just as incredible.

cyberheater

Idk its different for me. I'm not really a hardware buff but depending on the ip I like the benefits that better hardware provides

Same here. I've got a Wii, 360, PS3 and semi decent PC. If I can. I always play the game on my PC. Higher resolution, better textures, framerates etc... And Steams Big Picture mode has made it a lot easier to experience the ease of use of a console in the PC environment.

Meelow

Banned
too late to change to beastly hardware now these guys have monster GPUs already planned.

This is good news for Nintendo fans because where these guys go is where the next Nintendo console will be forced to achieve next gen beyond Wii U.

Also for devs just because you have that very strong hardware in you hands does not mean you have to break the bank trying to use it to the max levels. The other thing is I don't see PC devs being broken down from developing high end PC titles so it must be something else that is cause all these loses.

The 8xxx is a rumor from a site that doesn't give no sources, it is a rumor so it's not 100% fake but remember what BG, etc said about the specs they know of the PS4/720 they aren't really monster GPU's.

oneils

Good RPGs at launch are incredibly rare. But you can play Xeoblade on Wii U, and you'll be able to play the next game by that team, which will hopefully be just as incredible.

Huh, hadn't thought of that. Would the Last Story be worth picking up too? I guess I could look into the Wii RPG catalogue to see what else I could buy until the Wii U RPGs start being released.

Ein Bear

Definitely agree that the lack of HD was the only problem with the Wii's graphics that I had.

There were loads of Wii games that looked really great - the Mario Galaxy games were mindblowing. I really do think we hit the point last gen where games ceased to look 'bad' because of the hardware, and that it all just depends on artsytle. I'm a huge fan of all the HD Collections the PS3 has been getting, I think they all look amazing.

It's just yeah, unfortunately everything on Wii looked like crap on my HDTV. I honestly don't care how the next generation pans out hardware-wise now that I know we're at least getting 720p. PS4/Xbox 3 could be a thousand times more powerful than the Wii U and I wouldn't really give a toss, Mario Galaxy 3 or whatever will still probably look better than half the stuff on them regardless.

StevieP

Banned

"Monster GPUs"? Eh...

Also for devs just because you have that very strong hardware in you hands does not mean you have to break the bank trying to use it to the max levels.

In the console space, competing one AAA title versus another often results in skyrocketing costs. It's assets, after all, that take up the majority of expenditures. You can't release a top tier game with 'subpar' graphics, in other words - you'll get torn apart.

The gaming "media", GAF, even general consumers are extremely guilty of this. Look at the P100 reveal thread (where they completely ignore the pedigree of the developer in favour of shitting on the clean-but-simplistic look). Look at every AAA game that releases lower than expectations (oh god does anyone remember the Killzone threads? dear lord)

EloquentM

aka Mannny

did you buy xenoblade?

wsippel

Banned
Huh, hadn't thought of that. Would the Last Story be worth picking up too? I guess I could look into the Wii RPG catalogue to see what else I could buy until the Wii U RPGs start being released.
The Wii RPG "catalogue" is pretty damn unique: It consists of the best JRPG in at least a decade, Last Story, and... nothing else, basically. Don't get me wrong though, Last Story isn't bad by any means - it has quite a few innovative ideas, but it feels like Gears of Final Fantasy. Not really a RPG. In a way, it's kinda similar to Mass Effect 3 I guess. Certainly worth a look. There are also some weird, lower profile titles that are heavily flawed, but still very interesting like Fragile, which is incredibly atmospheric and very beautiful, but not really, well, good. All in all, the Wii RPG library is pretty much nonexistent. But it does have Xenoblade, so there's that.

As far as I understand, the "problem" was that they gave Monolith too much time. ;)

Anyway, you're right that they should have done a lot more to market the title, as the sales really didn't reflect the ratings at all - highest rated JRPG in years, maybe even the highest rated JRPG of all time. Globally. On the other hand, the shout out at the Wii U Presentation gave me hope. Xenoblade was probably considered a test, the results were probably far better than expected, and the team reached a point where their next project is basically mentioned in one sentence with the next Smash Bros. That's huge - and well deserved. And it's another thing I love about Nintendo recently: They put the creators in the spotlight. Not just IPs or studios, but the actual people behind the titles.

the Iwata Asks has been a brilliant little project, it is hard to understand a CEO is doing something like this. I love the fact that they went beyond in-house to ask 3rd parties to do this as well some of these Q&As have been the very first time to get a glimpse at who these people are and what they are trying to do in the industry.

I still cannot end my Xenoblade play through 270 hours in first NG+ trying to get all the quest done after beating the game once. It has been the most fun I have had for an RPG in recent years. They deserved better with this title I still hope for an HD remake someday in the life of the Wii U but cannot wait to see what this team comes up with. Seriously hopes Nintendo backs that title as it would Mario-Zelda. They missed out on something I feel. They could have had a first party IP on the levels of what Final Fantasy was for fans.

The next title being in HD means people would not need to look down on the game for jaggy SD graphics but Xenoblade is not hard to look at in the least visuals are part of the charm of the game.

Yes you should pick TLS up I have it hear I just cannot end my Xeno play to enjoy it played like 10 minutes of it and shut it off and went back to Xenoblade. I am going to wait and play The Last Story on my Wii U to give it the attention it deserves. I heard its a much shorter game but it has themes I enjoy in RPGs

I wish the third game of project rainfall came over to the US since Reggie says they plan to support the Wii for a few years yet maybe they will have late releases still to come.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
No, I don't have a Wii. Wisppel recommended Xenoblade, too. I hadn't thought of maybe picking up Wii RPGs to play on Wii-U. Definitely worth a look.
yeah, there are many great games people missed out on when selling their own wii's or just by skipping out on the console entirely. GAF has a recommendation thread for the wii but I can't seem to find it.

AzaK

A couple of questions:

1) which is your most wanted "launch window" title for the Wii U?
"ver long list of games" here

and

2) which is our most wanted "post launch window" title already announced for the Wii U?
Up to now we can consider inlcuded in this list Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros 4, Dragon Quest X and the new Monolith IP announced b Iwata, I think

and

3) which is your most wanted "unannounced title" for the Wii U?
"unleash your creativity" here

My replies:

1) Zombi/MH Tri/Pikmin. Really hard to chose among this
2) New Monolith IP. I'm really looking forward for this.
3) Obviously a Nintendo brand. Probably the next iteration of an HD Metroid with cinematics approach, scans by Gamepad and so on.

1) CoD BLOPS II probably, followed by ME 3 and Zombi U (Zombi U is more unique but I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to horror games)

2) Post launch window? Announced? I can't really think of any but Bayonetta 2 intrigues me (Never played the first)

3) Zelda plain and simple. Third party - Tomb Raider or Watch_Dogs

pramath

Banned

Yeah Xenoblade apparently kills all the other RPGs out there, I can't wait :p

AzaK

Listening to the Wii U episode of "The Besties" (Polygon's podcast) and one of the guys was saying that CoD BLOPS II doesn't look as good on Wii U as it does on the other platforms.

This is NOT meant as a "Wii U is less powerful than current gen - lolz" because I know it's definitely not. However I thought it was strange that he thought it was different, but he didn't elaborate other than to say it had less effects.

NOTE: He was playing the multiplayer TV + GamePad mode.

Anyone here seen both versions and can comment?

pramath

Banned
Listening to the Wii U episode of "The Besties" (Polygon's podcast) and one of the guys was saying that CoD BLOPS II doesn't look as good on Wii U as it does on the other platforms.

This is NOT meant as a "Wii U is less powerful than current gen - lolz" because I know it's definitely not. However I thought it was strange that he thought it was different, but he didn't elaborate other than to say it had less effects.

I've heard so much back on forth on this I wouldn't put any stock into it at all. Everyone's perception is different.

wsippel

Banned
yeah, there are many great games people missed out on when selling their own wii's or just by skipping out on the console entirely. GAF has a recommendation thread for the wii but I can't seem to find it.
Yeah, Wii had a few unusual titles that rarely get props, had mediocre or even bad reviews, and that were only released in some regions, but they're games I'll remember fondly nevertheless. Stuff like Disaster, Endless Ocean 2, Another Code: R or Reginleiv for example. I'm not a Zelda or Mario fan, but the Wii made me fall for Nintendo's B-tier efforts: Unique, flawed gems, and unexpectedly polished for what they are.

NeoRausch

No, I don't have a Wii. Wisppel recommended Xenoblade, too. I hadn't thought of maybe picking up Wii RPGs to play on Wii-U. Definitely worth a look.

Be warned! It looks HORRIBLE on a big HD. No matter how good your cable is.

BUT: awesome game, buy it, play it, life and breat the world.

ohlawd

Be warned! It looks HORRIBLE on a big HD. No matter how good your cable is.

BUT: awesome game, buy it, play it, life and breat the world.

How big are we talking? I've been playing my Wii on my HDTV using component cables. MH3, the Galaxies, TP and SS, Xenoblade.... they all look great on my 42 inch.

Meelow

Banned

People also said the Wii U sizzle reel from E3 2011 that the games looked worse than the PS3/360 version when they where those versions, that was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom