• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

I'm tired of so many controllers but I would totally buy a N64 wireless controller for VC games. It just isn't the same playing the Zelda games without the true C buttons.

Yeah, Majora's Mask was the main game I was thinking of. There are quite a few other N64 games which treat the C-buttons as individual buttons, and obviously Gamecube games which use the click on the shoulder buttons.

Yeah, Majora's Mask was the main game I was thinking of. There are quite a few other N64 games which treat the C-buttons as individual buttons, and obviously Gamecube games which use the click on the shoulder buttons.

I agree, playing OoT or MM on any other controller is not appealling. Grezzo did a decent job making it work, but playing the Ocarina was NOT the same.

Edit: Hey, I'm a member, cool.

Earendil

Those are some serious mustaches...

The campaign seems obvious, for the US at least.

YnKOV.png

Replace Uncle Sam with "Uncle Reggie" and you'll have the thing of nightmares.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
And I'm back after a couple of weeks of 'vacation'. What did I miss?

wsippel

Banned
This isn't really Wii U related but more about Nintendo in general, but I just thought about something: Usually, whenever publishers work with 3rd parties on a new IP, the publisher gets the copyright assigned, which means he can contract other studios to do sequels if the original developer is too expensive or "hard to work with", right? That doesn't seem to be the case for Nintendo. I noticed this with Platinum games. Bayonetta, Vanquish and so on are "(c) Sega" - The Wonderful 101 on the other hand is "(c) Nintendo/ Platinum Games". Shared ownership? If Nintendo just outsources the development, the copyright notice usually reads "(c) Nintendo - developed by [some company]" or something. And I believe whenever such an IP got a sequel, the original developer was always involved. That seems surprisingly developer friendly.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For those who live in Scotland. There is a WiiU Experience at the Braehead Shopping Centre on 11/10/2012 - 14/10/2012.

I'll be there on one of those dates if any UK Gaffers want to pop along.

Anyone fretting over GC pad support for Wii U, just hang in there. In a perfect world nintendo would release it themselves, but if they wont there will be adapters etc. The best site for conversions, adapters etc will have one i guarantee it. Just google raphnet technologies. Ive gotten adapters etc from the guy and they are flawless, even button remapping on some of them. To me there is no reason why a person should have to resort to the wrong controller just because some company cant think straight about what people want.

cyberheater

Has anyone started a thread of known games that are playable just using the WiiUPad?

I've just seen some WiiUPad gameplay of Mass Effect 3. Looks good.

Effect

Game sizes. Hmm. Guess I'll just continue with the retail disc and just leave the storage or potential hard drive for non-retail digital games. I knew PS3 disc had data duplicated on them to address the low speed of the blu-ray drive. Thought things might have been smaller then the numbers being reported when it came to the digital versions. Yikes.

Hoodbury

So is it assumed that Panarama view will be a pack in app? Weren't some retailers listing it as a stand alone game for a bit? Or was it just a tech demo for press conferences and we the consumers won't get to use it?

cyberheater

Said this in the amazon UK thread but I just realized that GAF is going to be crazy come launch week.

I kid you not. I'm genuinely excited.

I was thinking the other day of the monumental titles that are to come to WiiU. An all new 3D Mario. A stunning MarioKart. I hope they bring back Waverace. It would look super lush on this system.

And then there are the Metroids and Zelda's. All of them in sharp HD with beautifully drawn bright and vivid textures caressing each polygon. Gameplay filled with all the tiny little details and subtle nuances that makes Nintendo games so rewarding and exciting to play. Exciting times indeed.

cyberheater

Thanks mate.

But... They press the home button. Isn't switching between TV and GamePad what the "TV" button is for?

Yes. I noticed that. It was very quick as well. No delay. Hit that button and bam. Straight into WiiPad mode.

I hope they'll be a option that will allow you to set games to always come on the WiiPad first or at least remember what mode it's in when you switch off.

jmizzal

http://cdon.no/spill/nintendo_wii_u...-size=100&237569-sort-order=124&237569-page=1

I never heard of this site but they have an amazing list of WiiU games, I doubt its true but if it turns out to be true wow
Some of these have been rumored some have been speculated and some seem flat out made up lol

I will list all the unannounced games on the list
Battlefield 3
Beyond Good & Evil 2
BioShock Infinite
Call of duty - Modern Warfare 3
Dead Space
Dirt
Doom 4
Dragons Dogma
Endless Ocean
Fight Night
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Fire Emblem
InVerson
Kingdom Hearts
Kirby's Epic Yarn 2
Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance
Mii Explore
Need for Speed
Nintendogs Kennel
Phantasty Star Online 2
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013
Red Steel III
Ridge Racer
Silent Hill: Downpour
Sonic
SSX
Soul Calibur V
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Monkey Ball Cafe
The Amazing Spider-Man
Tiger Woods 13
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
Tony Hawk
Trauma Center

Thanks mate.

But... They press the home button. Isn't switching between TV and GamePad what the "TV" button is for?

TV button is apparently for TV control.

edit: id est, it starts up the universal remote mode or something like that. edit2: this may be just speculation, but it's been that for a while now.

jacksrb

So is it assumed that Panarama view will be a pack in app? Weren't some retailers listing it as a stand alone game for a bit? Or was it just a tech demo for press conferences and we the consumers won't get to use it?

That is what I am thinking - or it will be some eShop thing down the line that won't make launch. Will be interested to see all the software that comes on the system...

Glass Joe

Thanks mate.

Although your intuition makes sense, I think the TV button is actually to pull up the universal remote. Which is apparently something that can be done when the U is off. But when playing a game, yeah, you'd think they'd just let or even demand that developers map the switching with that.

The weird thing is a game like Nano Assault Neo seems to have you switch to the GamePad screen via a pause menu, while Mass Effect uses the Home button. Not sure about NSMB U or others. But so far, it doesn't appear to be standardized like it should be, at least not yet. Also, using Home to switch like in Mass Effect makes little sense.

Pramath said:
Kid Icarus U appears on Amazon

I don't know if we can read too much into that, since that team is apparently fully devoted to Brawl right now. Not the first time that rumor has started though. But really, taking the 3DS version as a basis and prettying it up could make a great game. Using the Wii Remote / nunchuck instead of the stylus could make a lot of the people who were turned off by the control method happy, so it makes sense. In fact, that scheme seems perfect for it. Plus, it was a fun game, so I'd like to see a sequel. Maybe a B-team could do the bulk of it with the Smash guys just checking progress and making notes, since the groundwork has already been laid.

Hoodbury said:

No one's mentioned it and I haven't seen it in any write-ups lately. I would think the same as you though. One of those things that are kind of neat but not an experience I would pay money for (I haven't used it, though). I could see it as a FaceRaiders / AR Cards type of pack in. Maybe one demo scene with the rest being DLC for those that enjoy it.

marc^o^ said:
I want Wii U to have demos of all games day 1. Believe.

I would certainly hope so. They have demos for key games at all these events, so they're already created. No effort to upload those to their server to let people check out what's coming up and what they haven't purchased yet. It's Nintendo though, so I'm not counting on it.

This isn't really Wii U related but more about Nintendo in general, but I just thought about something: Usually, whenever publishers work with 3rd parties on a new IP, the publisher gets the copyright assigned, which means he can contract other studios to do sequels if the original developer is too expensive or "hard to work with", right? That doesn't seem to be the case for Nintendo. I noticed this with Platinum games. Bayonetta, Vanquish and so on are "(c) Sega" - The Wonderful 101 on the other hand is "(c) Nintendo/ Platinum Games". Shared ownership? If Nintendo just outsources the development, the copyright notice usually reads "(c) Nintendo - developed by [some company]" or something. And I believe whenever such an IP got a sequel, the original developer was always involved. That seems surprisingly developer friendly.

people give them a lot of flack but I've always noticed these partnerships the only complaints have been from western devs it seems

D-e-f-

Banned

I believe it will ultimately share the fate of the flight demo thing that was supposed to be in Wii Sports. It'll either disappear or resurface as part of some other software.

I want Wii U to have demos of all games day 1. Believe.

imagine this: we know that MiiVerse is online only so that they have a live space with icons of every game available each icons have miss walking towards it to show you who is playing that game... What if you could just click that icon and find a demo to try it and even purchase the digital copy?

pramath

Banned
On a side tangent, with media attitude towards Wii U and much of the core gaming community in general, I can only imagine how many review sources will be trying to shit all over Wii U titles. Every generation the hostility seems to be getting worse.

I mean, I've reviewed games myself and I can tell you first hand that there's no difference from a reviewer than your average gaffer... hell, most reviewers are gaffer's and many I know personally simply don't like Nintendo.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Gaf ascended crazy many years ago.
dont even get me started.

The fortnight between the US and UK releases is going to be the most painful two weeks of my life... :(
If it makes your feel any better I won't be getting my system exactly on the US launch date
it'll be delivered the 19th instead =P

I was thinking the other day of the monumental titles that are to come to WiiU. An all new 3D Mario. A stunning MarioKart. I hope they bring back Waverace. It would look super lush on this system.

And then there are the Metroids and Zelda's. All of them in sharp HD with beautifully drawn bright and vivid textures caressing each polygon. Gameplay filled with all the tiny little details and subtle nuances that makes Nintendo games so rewarding and exciting to play. Exciting times indeed.
E3 kinda sucks these days but if Nintendo brings the games and Sony/MS being the new consoles it could be the best E3 in a long time. We won't even need ubisoft to bail anyone out again lol.

majik13

Thanks mate.

TV button is for controlling your tv; volume, input, channel etc. That was all in the ND right before E3

DQX does the off tv play through a special options menu, so not sure what the standard way will be. They show off tv play of DQX at the TGS demonstration.

This is me actually. I'm a fan of Nintendo's franchises anyways, but the idea that we'll get a new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, DKCR2, and hopefully Endless Ocean all in glorious HD makes me giddy like nobody else.

As it stands HD Pikmin and 2D Mario already have me salivating. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom