• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably will only have to wait 12 days for Rayman Legends because it's a launch title here in the UK. Am surprised you're not getting it day one though because we have to wait longer for titles here in the UK thanks to our inconsiderate non-English speaking neighbours ;oP

Have seen that Edge have done a hands-on of ZombiU here.

I'm still hoping they're going to give us the option to turn off the crosshairs, but then I am a bit of a lunatic lol.

I just figured that they wanted to give NSMBU some breathing room before they launched...

On ZombiU, I hope they tighten up the controls before launch. The demo i played was really "floaty"

pramath

Banned
I've played Rayman Legends and it was a lot of fun... magical even.

Lets ease up on the persecution complex a little bit guys, how many other platforms are getting high quality exclusive titles from Ubisoft? Or even third party exclusives in general.

Ubi is delivering in a pretty meaningful way.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I really wish Atlus was launching a new Trauma Center with the Wii U.

Second Opinion did well for them.

Don't remind me. :/

The series is one of my favorite co-op games of all-time. Both Second Opinion and Trauma Team are probably the most intense experiences that my GF can keep up with in gaming. I'm guessing that has something to do with the theme of the game, because Trauma Center can be brutal for even many regular gamers. Speaking of which, I think a Trauma Center without the crazy and wacky Japanese themes/story-lines could have sold gangbusters for the WiiU at launch. Asymmetrical Gameplay and the Gamerpad could create some major advancements in gameplay, intuitiveness, and immersion for the series.

Kjellson

Potential noob question coming up:

Sports games that is launching with Wii U or releasing close to the launch, will they have four player options, where one can play with the GamePad and the others play with the Pro Controller? I'm thinking of getting NBA 2K13 and it would be cool to play it together with a friend.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot a question mark.

Shabutaro

Wii U is going to have these experiences in spades, whether via asymmetric co-op experiences or just by something as simple as letting two people play BLOPS2 on one system without split screen by giving one player the TV and the other the Wii U Pad screen. it's one of the 'no brainer' ways of using the Wii U pad, so I'm sure we'll see lots of it.

That sounds pretty good. I figured that they would capitalize on a lack of split screen, and the asymmetric co-op is on of thier big pushes. But for a game like Uncharted 2, where coop story is only online, would developers give that coop experience to gamers locally on the wii u?

pramath

Banned

Sports games that is launching with Wii U or releasing close to the launch, will they have four player options, where one can play with the GamePad and the others play with the Pro Controller. I'm thinking of getting NBA 2K13 and it would be cool to play it together with a friend.

That's a good idea for asymmetrical gameplay.

Quarteback, Pitcher, Goalie ect. get the Wii U pad and the other muliplayers get controllers or Wiimotes :D

donny2112

Thanks, ShockingAlberto, for the tidbits and insights. While non-official, it's good to have someone (who is trusted) shed some light on industry happenings, including amounts of uncertainty in said light-shinings. :)

That sounds pretty good. I figured that they would capitalize on a lack of split screen, and the asymmetric co-op is on of thier big pushes. But for a game like Uncharted 2, where coop story is only online, would developers give that coop experience to gamers locally on the wii u?

the difficulties of doing what BLOPS2 is doing are very similar to the difficulties of supporting such a mode for split screen, but the motivation for doing it is arguably higher... so i'd not expect every game that only has online co-op to offer such a thing, but i'd expect more too, because you know the Wii U is going to be the system with a huge focus on offline MP, so the userbase that such a thing would appeal too is likely to be larger there than on 360, PC or PS3.

it's a huge deal for me. i hate split screen. i own two Xbox 360s and two copies of RE5 for crying out loud.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So you can finally play games on a Nintendo console without any gimmicks. Unless they have something really unique planned for the tablet, I honestly wish more devs would take this approach. The ability to stream the game to the tablet should be what 90% of third parties do especially if it makes the difference between getting a port or not getting one.

The real question is why not?

Are you serious? For those who want a more normal control method.

Unless you are Wii-only, buy it on the 360/PS3 which will provide basically the same experience for cheaper. Unless the Gamerpad streamlines things a bit (maps, quick touch icons, etc.) to justify the extra cost in price.

FPS = first person shooter. (camera is in your head)

Link's Crossbow Training = third person shooter. (camera is behind you) (edit: looking at some video, it's a little bit of both, I guess?)

Yeah, I was cheating a little. It has both modes.

That said, I always found it weird that first person shooter and third person shooter are considered different genres when they're pretty darn similar save for a couple added mechanics (which first person shooters use anyway, like cover). Hell, Duke Nukem 3D had a hotkey that brought the camera back a couple feet so you could see your back.

You will get the full game in multiplayer. So its still leagues better than - Here's your exclusive Rayman game, oh fuck we need to rush this out for launch LOL now it's a shitty minigame collection thats gonna kill the series. Now repeat same crappy rabbid shouting joke over and over

The first Rayman Raving Rabbids game was fantastic!!! Plenty of content, plenty of laughs and great for drinking games. One of the best games available for the system imo. The other games weren't as good because they didn't have anywhere near as much content.

boxter432

I don't see how that doesn't make sense. Nintendo keeps trying to make their platforms control differently, therefore the games they get are different.

but why does different almost always have to be worse?

like Madden...the WHOLE big thing for this year is the new physics, and its not in the Wii U version. that is garbage. why can't wii u owners get the great new engine along with the nintendo bonus of their new controller? it sucks.

Linkhero1

Link's Crossbow Training was an fps published by Nintendo.

Not an FPS

Also, the TimeSplitters series, as freaking amazing as it was, never really sold that well.

Bayonetta didn't either! Zing Ding Bing

In all seriousness, Timesplitters seems like it's something that would be great on the Wii U. If Nintendo supports it, it will attract people who have never played the series in a similar way Bayonetta 2 is attracting those who have never played the first one.

Not an FPS

Bayonetta didn't either! Zing Ding Bing

In all seriousness, Timesplitters seems like it's something that would be great on the Wii U. If Nintendo supports it, it will attract people who have never played the series in a similar way Bayonetta 2 is attracting those who have never played the first one.
People play the first one plz. Its one of my favorite games this gen.
-sincerely Mello

F#A#Oo

Banned
I don't see how that doesn't make sense. Nintendo keeps trying to make their platforms control differently, therefore the games they get are different.

Different is good but it depends on if the "different" is for the betterment of the game and franchise. I don't see how putting on-rails Dead Space, Resident Evil and Sonic is supposed to enthuse Wii owners or make those franchises better?

Was there research that showed Wii owners wanted existing franchises on-rails?

With regards to Wii U I'm already hearing that some developers are making games with touchpad gimmicks which actually make gameplay worse as you're constantly looking down at the pad and up at the TV thus taking you out of the game experience.

All developers need to do is answer 2 questions. 1) if we implement this will it make the gaming experience better than traditional controls? 2) Is it fun? The answer should always be yes to both if they're planning to release a game.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo made the Pro Controller because they too were bothered by this lazy attitude that had spawned in Wii developer games.

jmizzal

Sports games that is launching with Wii U or releasing close to the launch, will they have four player options, where one can play with the GamePad and the others play with the Pro Controller? I'm thinking of getting NBA 2K13 and it would be cool to play it together with a friend.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot a question mark.

They having talked a lot about NBA 2K13 WiiU yet, but I do know Madden has I think 5 players, 1 with the WiiU pad and the other 4 with Pro Controller, Wii motes or Classic Controllers

I'm pretty sure Nintendo made the Pro Controller because they too were bothered by this lazy attitude that had spawned in Wii developer games.

I understand their attitude. Why spend so much time coming up and working on an idea that will only be in one version and that version will probably sell the less.

jmizzal

Really? That would be funking awesome. You have a link?

http://www.primagames.com/games/madden-nfl-13/news/madden-nfl-13-first-look-wii-u

" The game will support up to five players in a game, using the Wii U GamePad, Pro Controller, Wii remote and Nunchuk set-ups. Though only the ones with the GamePads will truly benefit from the authentic set-up that EA has in mind, everyone can jump in and join the fun.

Its like 7 paragraphs down, I seen this info on other sites too

Daschysta

I understand their attitude. Why spend so much time coming up and working on an idea that will only be in one version and that version will probably sell the less.

It may not have sold the least if you didn't take out no brainer features included in the other games, refuse to polish it, dumb it down and then blame the console instead of yourself for low sales.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Darksiders II playable using only the GamePad confirmed.

Nice.

EDIT: G4 is done as a TV Channel, but most likely not as a website.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay what?

Because Sony said they are for the cores, Nintendo said they wanted everybody else?

That's not how it works in Nintendo's head. They don't want everybody else, they want everybody period.

Also:

G4 guy: Sony makes games for core gamers.

BREAK OUT THE SPELLBOOK!

EDIT: I swear to God, I just heard a canned laugh or something when they guy said Wii U is a terrible name.

EDIT2: Does Nintendo TVii does something more than what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have already, or is it just the same thing?

Meelow

Banned
Okay what?

Because Sony said they are for the cores, Nintendo said they wanted everybody else?

That's not how it works in Nintendo's head. They don't want everybody else, they want everybody period.

Also:

G4 guy: Sony makes games for core gamers.

BREAK OUT THE SPELLBOOK!

EDIT: I swear to God, I just heard a canned laugh or something when they guy said Wii U is a terrible name.

EDIT2: Does Nintendo TVii does something more than what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have already, or is it just the same thing?

Yeah I was shocked about the things they said (actually it's G4 so maybe not) but when they said "Sony focuses on the core" I was like "um...Wonderbook?" but than I find it funny they don't mention Bayonetta 2, etc, and when they said "Wii U is a casual console" or something like that than they showed the core games on video lol,G4 makes me laugh at what they say.

Looks like may be getting a new Nintendo Direct soon?

https://twitter.com/RichIGN/status/251476490678579200

:D.

Edit: Someone post a thread!

Edit 2: He says it's tonight, when Reggie is on Spike TV as well...Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom