• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tehalemi

give-me-a-spit-take-skit.jpg

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Edit:
186710_o.gif

arit

WII U 3ds player?
Etrian Odyssey 4 Wii U would be nice indeed...

I sounds like a no brainer to me but are there any Dungeon Crawlers announced yet?

Non releated question: Is a Wiimote + Classic Controller Pro equivalent to the Wii U Controller Pro in terms of compatibility?

Reclaimer

Update: 1 pass left... Pm me!

Anyone interested in some free tickets to the Wii U preview event in San Francisco? It's this upcoming Saturday night.

Nintendo said:
Wii U Experience – San Francisco, CA
Fort Mason Center – Festival Pavilion
Marina Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94123

Event Date: Saturday, September 29, 2012
Event Time: 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm

Let me know via PM. I have 3 passes. You'll have to use them to online to register, and then bring a photo ID to the door to get in. I can't make it, sad that I might miss out on some sweet swag.

Random Wii U question I just thought of:

I know you can send your game from the TV to your gamepad and keep playing but can you send the game to the gamepad screen, place the gamepad on the stand on your table and then use a pro controller to keep playing while viewing the game on the gamepad? This would be great for original Wii games. Is it true the gamepad has a sensor bar built into it?

So the ND is just the NSMB dlc info?

Also, if it's any consolation, at least the Wii U version comes with the From Ashes DLC, while the trilogy comes with none.

So it's confirmed, Retro's game will be fantastic.
Yeah, pretty much.

In actually fantastic news though, I just realized how truly awesome Scribbblenauts Unlimited will be on the Wii U:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/09/interview_5th_cell_scribblenauts_unlimited

Q: There's co-operative multiplayer in the Wii U version, so extra players can grab Wii Remotes and control any object on screen. How does that work?

A: Our multiplayer mode is called Sidekick Mode. At any time, up to three more players can connect their Wii Remotes and inhabit objects that player one creates. You then control that object and have all the abilities that object would have.
Yeah, the co-op mode they're adding that's likely old news to people that have been following the game. So what, right? Pretty much just a way of having co-op, but which ultimately isn't too useful in actually solving puzzles and is just a way of giving your parents something to do or some such thing? Yeah, when using it "properly". But stop and think about it, and realize what that gives you the ability to do...

Got it? If not, let me walk you through it, step-by-step.
1.) Controlling Maxwell with the GamePad, you can create a bunch of junk like cars and buildings and stuff. Nothing interesting yet, typical Scribblenauts stuff.
2.) Create a flying giant fire-breathing, missile firing invincible t-rex.
3.) Grab a Wii Remote.
4.) Start wondering around the level, destroying cars, houses, whatever, as a flying giant fire-breathing invincible Tyrannosaurus-Rex that can fire missiles and do whatever else you want it to do.
Not-So-Optional Step 5.) Have two of your friends do the same thing and start pounding the heck out of each other too.

Game. Of. The. Forever

majik13

Random Wii U question I just thought of:

I know you can send your game from the TV to your gamepad and keep playing but can you send the game to the gamepad screen, place the gamepad on the stand on your table and then use a pro controller to keep playing while viewing the game on the gamepad? This would be great for original Wii games. Is it true the gamepad has a sensor bar built into it?

They have said you cannot play wii games on the gamepad. Yes there is a sensor bar on the gamepad, but so far they have only shown its use for new gameplay ideas. Like the golf demo from e3 11 and some other patents.

Hopefully they allow wii games on the pad eventually

I really cant wait to see how serious Nintendo is taking online. Reggie stated it in the interview as them taking it serious. Im really anxious about it now. Most likely my most interested topic about the Wii U right now.

wouwie

I have never bought a Nintendo before. However, as a PS3 only owner i've come to realise that there are actually a lot of nintendo games that i think i would enjoy (especially the fun, lighthearted, not so serious games like platformers,... instead of the zillion of serious FPS games gracing the PS3/Xbox). Since i do plan to buy a PS4 when it's released, the main reason for buying a Wii U would be to play the titles that aren't available on the other platforms (e.g. nintendo 1st party titles).

So for the first time, i was seriously considering buying a Nintendo Wii U but the whole touch pad control mechanism is not something i'm sure about since i prefer proper analog controllers (i tried touch control gaming with Ipad 3/Vita but i'm just not a fan).

I haven't been following the Wii U that well so i was wondering: will the touch based controllers/tablet play a big/crucial role in the games? Or will most games be playable with the normal controller? From what i'm reading about Rayman Legens for example (a game i would love to play), playing the game without the touch "tablet" will be impossible? Or can i hook up my Wii U to my tv and play the "normal" (classic controller) way? And how about other games?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have never bought a Nintendo before. However, as a PS3 only owner i've come to realise that there are actually a lot of nintendo games that i think i would enjoy (especially the fun, lighthearted, not so serious games like platformers,... instead of the zillion of serious FPS games gracing the PS3/Xbox). Since i do plan to buy a PS4 when it's released, the main reason for buying a Wii U would be to play the titles that aren't available on the other platforms (e.g. nintendo 1st party titles).

So for the first time, i was seriously considering buying a Nintendo Wii U but the whole touch pad control mechanism is not something i'm sure about since i prefer proper analog controllers (i tried touch control gaming with Ipad 3/Vita but i'm just not a fan).

I haven't been following the Wii U that well so i was wondering: will the touch based controllers/tablet play a big/crucial role in the games? Or will most games be playable with the normal controller? From what i'm reading about Rayman Legens for example (a game i would love to play), playing the game without the touch "tablet" will be impossible? Or can i hook up my Wii U to my tv and play the "normal" (classic controller) way? And how about other games?

Wii U will be primarly focused on the gamepad.
But note that gamepad has all the normal buttons/analog that you could desire.
touch controls are additional or integrated to the normal ones in some cases, optional in other cases, sometimes mandatory (as in some Nintendo Land minigames)
But, don't judge them thinking to the iPad, that has ONLY touch controls (while gamepad has also other "normal" or classic inputs)

If you didn't follow the Wii U, probably you shuold ask us for games-specific question in order to clarify each game case by case.

So far most games use the buttons/analog sticks, and the touchscreen is mostly used for inventory, special abilities etc. The main input is traditional analog input.
Most games offer various input methods. BLOPS2 will offer Gamepad (analog stick) Pro Controller (analog stick) and Wiimote aiming, Darksiders 2 has GAmepad and Pro controller etc.

Rayman legends has traditional single player stages (controlling Rayman) and the Touchscreen based Murphy levels. Judging by GAF these Touchscreen levels (which aren't the whole game, and from personal experience are quite fun) the whole game is ruined by that and no one should spend money on a ruined game.

So far it seems that developers are concentrating on traditional twin stick inputs and treat the touchscreen stuff as a bonus, so you should be fine with the WiiU inputs.

Steph_E.

ME3: Wii U Edition is sort of head scratchingly listed as "launch window" on the Nintendo release list. Is it possible That ME3 is flat out not coming and they'll replace it with a a port of ME Triology sometime Q1 next year?

Other wise, what the fuck?

No. What may happen is that if ME3 does well on the Wii U they release the trilogy in 2014 - after all, why release the trilogy at the outset when you can delay it and get two paydays instead of one.

No. What may happen is that if ME3 does well on the Wii U they release the trilogy in 2014 - after all, why release the trilogy at the outset when you can delay it and get two paydays instead of one.

With Nintendo's push for digital distribution... I could see 1 and 2 being added to the eShop eventually if 3 sells well. Of course, if the "EA is butthurt over Origin being turned down" rumors are true this may never happen.

BBC News piece if anyones interested:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19758380

[Nothing new; just the usual - bit with the marketing director at the end]

He talks about the Vita though; so hes generally an idiot - claiming the WiiU is not new as the Vita does the same for the PS3.

"but-but-but-bu - the Vita does that, the Vita has the touch screen - this strikes me as Vita 2.0"

Twonk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom