• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think the Mass Effect mess should put to rest any real hopes for legitimate EA support, barring some collapse in PS4/720 development.

Hope for not complete shit versions of the sports stuff as your absolute best case scenario.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Edge gave their impressions today on the GamePad and the pro controller: http://www.edge-online.com/features...oller-and-how-next-gen-nintendo-really-feels/

Held with both hands the Gamepad feels chunky and robust, but not too heavy. The triggers protrude with a smooth curvature on the underside of the controller, allowing it to remain raised slightly when at rest. They’re perfectly placed for shooters like Mass Effect 3 and ZombiU. The analogue sticks are responsive and comfortable, resembling the rubberised stick of the Wii’s nunchuck. The D-pad and four face buttons also feel like carry-overs from the Wii controller, the buttons resembling the crisp plastic of the plus and minus of a Wii Remote more than the A and B, offering a more precise feel – essential for titles like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and NBA 2K13. It’s easy to forget, after six years of the Wii, that this is the first Nintendo console in 11 years to come with a standard, out-of-the-box controller featuring four face buttons and two analogue sticks. That alone should make the prospect of porting and developing for Wii U much more enticing than its often maligned predecessor.

The screen on the GamePad gets as much use as the other inputs during our time with the device. As a touchscreen it feels very much like the 3DS’ responsive display, and due to its larger screen size the option of a quick swipe or tap with a finger, rather than fumbling to unsheathe the stylus, is much more reliable than it is on Wii U’s portable sibling.

The display itself makes for a genuinely worthwhile alternative to the big screen. The front-facing camera, used to display our guilty grin as we make an escape in Mario Chase, for example, is clear enough to stand the test of its picture being displayed on a HD display, without any cringeworthy framerate or clarity issues. When used to view games where detail is everything, like following the ball in NBA 2K13, the GamePad holds its own. Surprisingly, it’s during an extended session of New Super Mario Bros U, the major firstparty launch title, that the GamePad screen action starts to put a little strain on our eyes as we try to keep up with the manic flow of two leaping, bounding Marios.

The new Pro Controller is a pleasant surprise: light and easier on the eye and hands than the Wii’s original Classic controller, and with wireless connectivity to the console it feels like a lightweight successor to the Wavebird that’ll be a go-to option for players looking to play more traditional genres by more traditional means – it feels particularly appropriate for downloadable twin-stick shooter Nano Assault Neo.

The sense is that these two controllers can cover a lot of bases between them. The Pro Controller is light and ergonomic enough to occupy the function of a standard twin-stick controller, while the GamePad screen is sharp enough to handle all but the most hyperactive scenarios in the palms of your hands. There are still questions to be answered, of course, such as sound quality on the GamePad and the comfort of extended sessions with the Pro Controller and its suitability to genres like the FPS, but so far Wii U is equipped – with controllers at least – to accommodate both casual and core with equal competence.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I wouldn't really call inventory/map/quick select on the screen a gimmick. It's improved functionality. Shake-to-throw-grenade was gimmicky.

My problem with a second screen has always been that I can't look at two screens at once. Even on DS I found the addition of a map on the bottom screen almost always useless. The only game it added any benefit to was Mario Kart imo. For a game like Castlevania, I would have to pause the game anyway to see where I was or where to go next.

Using the tablet to manage inventory will probably be beneficial, but just like shaking to throw a grenade, it's not necessary and takes your focus off of the TV. From what we've seen so far, the best use of the tablet is for multiplayer imo. I does add a new element there. For single player, I don't really see it adding a whole lot, but I'll still gladly take it over the poorly designed Wii remote and nun-chuck.

So, I think if Nintendo and third parties really want to go after the hard core gamers who won't want these gimmicks, using the basic functionality and including Pro Controller support from the get go is a good idea.

andthebeatgoeson

Is ME3 on wii u worth it if I havent played 1 or 2?

No, if only to send the message that you won't buy a single game when you could have all 3 for less money. If only to help us other wii u buyers. We don't want to give the assholes any ideas that we will spend more money for less shit. Just imagine if ME3 Wii U does very well.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
To me is it.

tumblr_ljnns6seKj1qbd0cr.png

F#A#Oo

Banned
Not sure why people are so up in arms over this. It's a different character but it's still the Rayman game, still same mechanics.

It's like not buying Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island because you have to play as Yoshi.

It's just another example of developers treating Nintendo platforms differently.

EA: Want Dead Space Nintendo owners? Here you go but it's on rails.

SEGA: We have 3D Sonic for you! Oh but it's on rails.

Capcom: Wii owners you're getting an exclusive Resident Evil game. Yeeeah! Oh btw its on rails.

Ubisoft: We're proud to give Wii U owners an exclusive Rayman game. Oh btw Murfy is starring in almost 50% of the game and you have to help Rayman in a co-operative way.

I know Nintendo stresses the need to differentiate software but there are others ways of doing these things without changing the mechanics of the game entirely and assuming a bunch of stuff.

The thing is I wouldn't mind these games but all these developers and publishers complain about these games not meeting expected sales targets. They then assume yet again that there isn't a market for that particular franchise when in fact all owners wanted was a standard version of the franchise. Period.

schuelma

It's just another example of developers treating Nintendo platforms differently.

I just cannot get at all upset with Ubisoft, even if the worst fears about Rayman Legends actually come true.

Line up Rayman Legends, Zombi U, and AC3 with 3 titles from any other publisher and tell me how they compare.

Xater

I think the Mass Effect mess should put to rest any real hopes for legitimate EA support, barring some collapse in PS4/720 development.

Hope for not complete shit versions of the sports stuff as your absolute best case scenario.

Expecting real 3rd party support beyond 2013 is a stretch anyway. It's going to be my Nintendo/Monster Hunter machine.

dyergram

No, if only to send the message that you won't buy a single game when you could have all 3 for less money. If only to help us other wii u buyers. We don't want to give the assholes any ideas that we will spend more money for less shit. Just imagine if ME3 Wii U does very well.
Dont you think me3 doing well would make the trilogy more likely?

schuelma

Expecting real 3rd party support beyond 2013 is a stretch anyway. It's going to be my Nintendo/Monster Hunter machine.

I'm pretty pessimistic about the West but you never know what can happen- if Wii U sells insanely well for a full year before PS4720 hits, I bet you see marginally better support than with Wii.

Still expecting pretty big things from Japan. Launch window 3rd party lineup in Japan is already 10x better than with the Wii.

Qurupeke

Dont you think me3 doing well would make the trilogy more likely?

Well, that's really possible, but right now, EA support is a crap. I really want that ME collection but I'm not buying that game for over 10 €. EA wouldn't release ME3: SE but they did just for an extra cash. Just for the money and I'm sure of it.

Banned
Is ME3 on wii u worth it if I havent played 1 or 2?
Hell no. The main draw of mass effect is the characters decisions from the first and second game influence the third game (and the first game influences the second game, etc. ). Don't forget that some characters you develop a bond with wont be as impactful if you start at 3 (notably Liara, Garrus, and Tali).

Yes, EA expects us to buy ME3 for full price, finish it, then buy a trilogy. So we'd be playing it in this order: ME3 > ME1 > ME2

And we'd also have a completely pointless copy of ME3.

But why not milk WiiU owners to the max. First sell ME3 with an online pass scam that decreases your trade in value, and then after some time bring the compilation.

EA is a shitstain and I truly hope that ME3 bombs hard on the WiiU. Like sub 100k hard.

King_Moc

Banned
But why not milk WiiU owners to the max. First sell ME3 with an online pass scam that decreases your trade in value, and then after some time bring the compilation.

EA is a shitstain and I truly hope that ME3 bombs hard on the WiiU. Like sub 100k hard.

Even before this mess, i'd have been surprised if it would have gone over that. Who is going to be interested in the last game of a trilogy when anyone that played the first two would almost certainly be getting it on another format. ME3 on Wee literally serves no purpose. I can't imagine why anyone would buy it as a stand alone game.

Meelow

Banned
I'm pretty pessimistic about the West but you never know what can happen- if Wii U sells insanely well for a full year before PS4720 hits, I bet you see marginally better support than with Wii.

Still expecting pretty big things from Japan. Launch window 3rd party lineup in Japan is already 10x better than with the Wii.

That's what I think too, EA is just being EA, and don't forget about the rumor too it said Nintendo gained third party support by not support Origin, imagine EA would of been the one controlling Nintendo Network and would of screwed over Activision for sure.

Won't the cabal of nintendo haters that runs EA be shocked when ME3 for the Wii U outsells the trilogy pack?

I think the only good selling version will be the PS3 version, why should Xbox and PC fans care about this when they already have all the games and Sony is only missing out on ME1.

D-e-f-

Banned
Won't the cabal of nintendo haters that runs EA be shocked when ME3 for the Wii U outsells the trilogy pack?

which is incredibly unlikely. the PS3 version has a far bigger draw in that it includes the first game for the first time on that platform and you could sell our old games and probably keep using any purchased DLC for the trilogy (unless that is included). add that to the huge install base and ...et voila

Even before this mess, i'd have been surprised if it would have gone over that. Who is going to be interested in the last game of a trilogy when anyone that played the first two would almost certainly be getting it on another format. ME3 on Wee literally serves no purpose. I can't imagine why anyone would buy it as a stand alone game.

well then lets make it 70k worldwide lifetime. I feel bad for the developers doing the port as they are obviously doing a fine job, but with this kind of shit I just can't help but hoping for the game to fail miserably.

which is incredibly unlikely. the PS3 version has a far bigger draw in that it includes the first game for the first time on that platform and you could sell our old games and probably keep using any purchased DLC for the trilogy (unless that is included). add that to the huge install base and ...et voila
I refuse to explain my reasoning.

Coughruinsthejokecough

EA: Want Dead Space Nintendo owners? Here you go but it's on rails.

Capcom: Wii owners you're getting an exclusive Resident Evil game. Yeeeah! Oh btw its on rails.

Ubisoft: We're proud to give Wii U owners an exclusive Rayman game. Oh btw Murfy is starring in almost 50% of the game and you have to help Rayman in a co-operative way.

I know Nintendo stresses the need to differentiate software but there are others ways of doing these things without changing the mechanics of the game entirely and assuming a bunch of stuff.

The thing is I wouldn't mind these games but all these developers and publishers complain about these games not meeting expected sales targets. They then assume yet again that there isn't a market for that particular franchise when in fact all owners wanted was a standard version of the franchise. Period.

You will get the full game in multiplayer. So its still leagues better than - Here's your exclusive Rayman game, oh fuck we need to rush this out for launch LOL now it's a shitty minigame collection thats gonna kill the series. Now repeat same crappy rabbid shouting joke over and over

I may play it that way at some point for SnGs...

Incidently, I wasn't going to get this game, but now that neither Rayman nor Mass Effect are launch day, now I am.

You probably will only have to wait 12 days for Rayman Legends because it's a launch title here in the UK. Am surprised you're not getting it day one though because we have to wait longer for titles here in the UK thanks to our inconsiderate non-English speaking neighbours ;oP

Have seen that Edge have done a hands-on of ZombiU here.

I'm still hoping they're going to give us the option to turn off the crosshairs, but then I am a bit of a lunatic lol.

Shabutaro

I really hope rayman does will on the wii u. I hate when developers go out on a limb and fail. It really just dissuades other developers from being unique or develop on platforms they wouldnt typically. Tha said, I want ME3 to do well on the wii u, just because I dont want EA to give up on nintendo (even though I know better), and claim that theres no market for thier games. Maybe theyll announce the trilogy later...... (sigh)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My take on ME3: EA probably believes porential buyers are dads who'll buy a Wii U for their kids this Christmas. A demographic who don't have 90 hours in front of them to complete a trilogy. So instead they get the latest episode with cool GamePad features.

Don't get me wrong, 3 episodes is better than one. But I - and I must not be the only one - would never have the time to play a trilogy in the middle of a launch with so many other games I want to play. That could be their rational.

Banned
PS3 owners aren't missing out on anything anyway. I liked ME1 but what a chore to play.
ME1 was the purest RPG of the three. If people don't like it, they generally don't like rpg's or better storylines. The only drawbacks are the occasional bugs, loading times, and the mako.

You will get the full game in multiplayer. So its still leagues better than - Here's your exclusive Rayman game, oh fuck we need to rush this out for launch LOL now it's a shitty minigame collection thats gonna kill the series. Now repeat same crappy rabbid shouting joke over and over

quite. i mean, i think playing as Murphy looks fun, so I have no complaints about the single player having you switch back and forth level to level and the MP be like Origins + Murphy and all the added complexity he adds to the levels.

ohlawd

ME1 was the purest RPG of the three. If people don't like it, they generally don't like rpg's or better storylines. The only drawbacks are the occasional bugs, loading times, and the mako.

My dislike of the Mako is enough for me to consider the entire game a chore to play :p

D-e-f-

Banned

don't forget the bad performance on the 360 version.

you have to be willing to ignore a lot of BS to appreciate the awesome parts of that game. doesn't mean someone doesn't like RPGs if they're not into that.

The mako is one fucking huge drawback though that and the repeating structures. Story in ME in general is pretty boring imo and I like RPGs. Never bothered with 3 after 2.

Meelow

Banned
If true, Sega should get rid of Moore and the other big wigs. Does Sega even have money?

I think they do, I also heard EA hates money and that's why they don't want a Wii U version of Trilogy lol.

Was live even gonna come to Wii U? It was a DD game and I never saw it in those lists.

Yeah it was confirmed at E3.

Looks like Grid 2 might come to Wii U

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/codemasters-not-ruling-out-wii-u-ports/

"It's not being ruled out certainly, and certainly [that applies] across all Codemasters titles. Some platforms are more appropriate for certain types of games, but we just have to make decisions as and when they're appropriate. We can't say too much more at the moment." - Grid 2 Associate Producer Iain Smith

HeySeuss

I really wish Atlus was launching a new Trauma Center with the Wii U.

Second Opinion did well for them.

A Trauma Center game with stylus touch pad controls would be great. The game pad could show the camera close up of whatever surgery you're performing, while the TV gives you the view of the vitals and you could instruct nurses to do different things to assist and regulate breathing, blood pressure, heart rate, anesthesia and etc.

That way it's sort of like ZombiU in that you have to pay attention to both screens to keep your patient alive.

I was thinking. The one genre Nintendo is missing is the fps genre. I'm not talking about fps appearing on their console, but Nintendo hasn't published an fps game since Geist on GC iirc. What's to stop Nintendo from reviving Timesplitters 4? The game was canceled wasn't it?

Link's Crossbow Training was an fps published by Nintendo.

Also, the TimeSplitters series, as freaking amazing as it was, never really sold that well.

jmizzal

This doesn't make sense from a consumer nor business point of view tbh...

I think Nintendo asked EA to throw them a bone and Mass Effect is the chosen IP...instead of say Battlefield 3 Premium U Edition or an entirely new IP ala Boom Blox.

Yes Battlefield 3 or Medal of Honor WF would have made a lot more since if they were going to bring out ME trilogy the week before WiiU comes out. Plus those games are not story heavy , now EA has given Activision a huge headstart once again on the FPS front with CODBO2 and 007. EA did they same thing with Wii, COD 3 was at launch and sold over 1 mil, while MoHH2 came out latter and bombed. Then no more EA FPS support while Actvtivision had 5 million selling FPS and 3 others selling over 500k.

TimmiT

To be fair, Sonic Team did make Sonic Colours later on. And we don't know if you really play as Murphy for half of the game in Rayman Legends, they haven't really been clear on how much you really play as him in single player.

Shabutaro

So i was reading a statement by reggie about why we would want to buy a wii u over the next xbox or playstation, and he said something about unique two player experience. So does that mean that whereas alot of games only have online multiplayer/coop wii u owners will be able to enjoy that same kind of gameplay but locally as well. Not sure if this has been discussed before, but if this is true, its pretty exciting. Ive been longing for some great co-op games and if the wii u can deliver that to me in a fresh way then thats fantastic.

To be fair, Sonic Team did make Sonic Colours later on. And we don't know if you really play as Murphy for half of the game in Rayman Legends, they haven't really been clear on how much you really play as him in single player.

shouldn't we all wait until we have confirmation that playing as Murphy isn't fun before we all flip out about having to play as Murphy? :( poor Murphy.

So i was reading a statement by reggie about why we would want to buy a wii u over the next xbox or playstation, and he said something about unique two player experience. So does that mean that whereas alot of games only have online multiplayer/coop wii u owners will be able to enjoy that same kind of gameplay but locally as well. Not sure if this has been discussed before, but if this is true, its pretty exciting. Ive been longing for some great co-op games and if the wii u can deliver that to me in a fresh way then thats fantastic.

Wii U is going to have these experiences in spades, whether via asymmetric co-op experiences or just by something as simple as letting two people play BLOPS2 on one system without split screen by giving one player the TV and the other the Wii U Pad screen. it's one of the 'no brainer' ways of using the Wii U pad, so I'm sure we'll see lots of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom