• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's Miiverse - A Guide for Dummies

majik13

Okay, so launch titles don't have full Miiverse integration, but have the functions that are available to any game. So... Someone fill me in on what Miiverse functions that they couldn't use, or some that they can now implement. Perhaps I am not fully educated with regards to all Miiverse bells and whistles.

games like NSMBU and NintendoLand have Miiversve features built inside the game. In NSMBU you will see user comments pop up on the world map, about specific levsl. When you die in a level you will see user comments about dieing at that specific spot. You can also obviously add comments like this ypurself. etc.

I think NintendoLand has similar comment pop up when in the amusement park hub world.

Outside the game, on the OS level. Every game has a community, or thread I guess you can post in and discuss the game, probabaly other stuff too. You can access it at anytime by pressing the home button.

Third party games will not have features like NSMBU and Nintendoland that are built inside the game.

Erethian

I still do not understand how they had no access to main functions but we've had Jackson speaking of the OS and Miiverse as if he was well informed of all functions. Perhaps he was informed on the final product?

I'm pretty sure they had briefings on how the functionality would work when implemented.

Pharros

games like NSMBU and NintendoLand have Miiversve features built inside the game. In NSMBU you will see user comments pop up on the world map, about specific levsl. When you die in a level you will see user comments about dieing at that specific spot. You can also obviously add comments like this ypurself. etc.

I think NintendoLand has similar comment pop up when in the amusement park hub world.

Outside the game, on the OS level. Every game has a community, or thread I guess you can post in and discuss the game, probabaly other stuff too. You can access it at anytime by pressing the home button.

Third party games will not have features like NSMBU and Nintendoland that are built inside the game.

Makes sense, I'm excited to see just what devs will do with these features. I guess we'll have to wait for the next batch of games.

I'm pretty sure they had briefings on how the functionality would work when implemented.

That's my guess. There is no way they were left as in the dark as we were, and I have no doubts that Jackson knows what is up when speaking of the OS and Miiverse.

moozoom

I don't have a 360 so I've never used the Avatar maker but to me they all seem to have the same face. On the other hand I can make a wide variety of faces with Miis.

You can't precisely tweak the facial and body features of xbox avatars, just choose between the pre-made mouths, eyes and accessories. Many of the faces parts are downright ugly, stupid or very generic, and people seem to choose the most neutral ones to make their avatar. You can't make exaggerated caricatures or weird monsters like some Mii makers achieved.

All of my friends x-boy avatars look completely generic (apart from the clothes bought in the store), and it's impossible to find any likeness. Besides, most of my friends have beards or facial hair, and the lack of choice in that departement make all the avatars look alike.

Xbox avatars are still less creepy than home soul-less creatures.

Exclusive: Mass Effect 3 Wii U Will Not Use Miiverse

Tom Crago, founder of Straight Right has revealed to Aussie-Gamer that upcoming Mass Effect 3: Special Edition will not use Miiverse functionality.

Miiverse is a video game social network baked into the Wii U console that can be used in various ways, such as commenting on certain points in the game and sharing tips.

But it seems that apart from the standard Miiverse functions, Mass Effect 3: Special Edition will not use the service in an integrated way.

“Miiverse functionality isn’t in Mass Effect 3. In the context of the game we never really talked about it.

“However, it’s something we’re interested in as a studio and with future titles that we might release we would love to look more into it.”

http://aussie-gamer.com/news/mass-e...lla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

AzaK

So third-parties finally received recently the OS with Miiverse available. They are trying it, connected with Nintendo employees.

So far, all are very impressed, and clearly find that Nintendo went a step further than their competitors in terms of online services, thanks in great part to Miiverse.
Cool bananas. Thanks IM.

Pretty much no games will at launch except Nintendo's ones. As we've been talking about, devs haven't had access to the feature/API etc.

Glass Joe

I thought I read that all games automatically support Miiverse on the OS level?

They do. The article "exclusive" seems misleading to me as they're talking Mario U / NintendoLand style integration, which no 3rd party titles will have. But the basic functionality is there for all titles.

deviljho

When I log into a user, I see a screen similar to the one below, but the icons are just system menu icons. How/when will it change to games?

miiverse0607-610.jpg

Metal B

Third Parties can have the same features like NSMBU and Nintendo Land if they want to. Nintendo said that all developers have access to all Miiverse features.

So on the main menu my mii is saying "been playing: new super mario bros. u," but I haven't played that at all today - just some nintendoland. Is it not supposed to update with what my most recent game is?

rpmurphy

Are we supposed to get the little orange dot in Miiverse when something in the notification list gets updated? Because I don't think I am, and I have to check the list to see if someone replied or gave a yeah.

watershed

Banned
Man I love the way the start up Miiverse Plaza looks. I wish the 3ds would have that feature. I have a question though.

Are there actual conversations going on in the Miiverse threads like a forum or are there just a bunch of doodles and random comments? I'm curious if Miiverse actually fosters interaction or just "yeah"ing a post or ignoring it.

japtor

Man I love the way the start up Miiverse Plaza looks. I wish the 3ds would have that feature. I have a question though.

Are there actual conversations going on in the Miiverse threads like a forum or are there just a bunch of doodles and random comments? I'm curious if Miiverse actually fosters interaction or just "yeah"ing a post or ignoring it.
It's kind of like Facebook there too I guess. There's just a general forum/thread type of thing ("community") for each game which can be just random posts from everyone, but you can also reply to specific posts if you want. Like you see a post w/number of Yeahs and number of replies, tapping on it shows the individual post and all the replies (and Yeah'd Miis I think).

Just had my first Miiverse moderation. I guess it was my fault.

I drew a picture of pikmin carrying the letters G, A, and F, in that order. But the F was upside down and backwards. I was just trying to rep GAF, but it didn't cross my mind that a backwards "F" would cause the reader to read it backwards, spelling the derogatory gay slur. Oops.

Randdalf

Considering there's no option to create custom communities, could you theoretically appropriate some shovelware or little played title like Funky Barn and use its Miiverse for your community?

Metal B

Considering there's no option to create custom communities, could you theoretically appropriate some shovelware or little played title like Funky Barn and use its Miiverse for your community?

I heard that this is actual happening right now with Funky Barn.

Madouu

Well that's basically what's happening, Rabbids Land is turning into a William Dafoe community for example. (You can thank Sterling from Destructoid for starting that up)

Although it would be hard for "one" person to appropriate the whole community board. Expect rather a lot of off topic posts - if we define on topic posts as being ones directly related to the concerned game - in less popular miiverse communities.

Hi guys I need some kind of help.

All online aspects of my console work fine except for the wara wara plaza. It shows the default icons and I don't know what to do.

Hi guys I need some kind of help.

All online aspects of my console work fine except for the wara wara plaza. It shows the default icons and I don't know what to do.

Yep, I'm having this same issue and I can't seem to find a solution for it. I just noticed that when I tried to go into my user settings it seems like the console has locked up. I wonder if it's corrupted and that's what's causing the problem.

Try disabling wifi and going into a new user with no downloaded Mii. This would show whether it's a Mii with corrupted data in your plaza.

I have a small problem with my Miiverse profile description. I was browsing a friend's friend list, and next to my Mii it said that my profile comment was disabled.

I remember a long time ago I put my YouTube channel in my profile (LIKE PLENTY OF OTHER PEOPLE DO) and got a random moderation warning about it. However I never checked if my profile was visible again until now, and it seems it isn't even though I have removed the channel.

How can I fix it? Is there a way to contact the Miiverse moderation?

Top Bottom