• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU technical discussion (serious discussions welcome)

Not that I know of...

Actually I think the original devkits had 3Gb RAM and then downsized to 2Gb.

I think i vaguely remember IdeaMan saying that one of the dev kits (past E3 2011) got a surprising performance increase. But don't quote me on that...

Someone put the lightbubble sign into the sky!

Ryoku

I believe the GPU went from 400MHz to 550, and the CPU from 1.1 or 1.0 GHz to 1.2 or something like that. They were underclocked because of the heating issues back then.

I believe the GPU went from 400MHz to 550, and the CPU from 1.1 or 1.0 GHz to 1.2 or something like that. They were underclocked because of the heating issues back then.

Yeah i remember that. But i think the V3(?) dev kit also got another power boost. But again... Don't quite me on that.

Ryoku

Yeah i remember that. But i think the V3(?) dev kit also got another power boost. But again... Don't quite me on that.

Yeah, something like that.

I think IdeaMan mentioned that one of the devkit iterations introduced the biggest optimizations where some developers increased their FPS by a significant amount (in one case, 2X). I'm not expecting the world; just pointing out what I remember.

The CPU was apparently 1GHz in early dev kits. Devs was also aware early on that at least 1GB of RAM will be for games in the retail console.

I think IdeaMan mentioned that one of the devkit iterations introduced the biggest optimizations where some developers increased their FPS by a significant amount (in one case, 2X). I'm not expecting the world; just pointing out what I remember.

Good thing im not the only one remembering that :p

Meelow

Banned

The CPU was apparently 1GHz in early dev kits. Devs was also aware early on that at least 1GB of RAM will be for games in the retail console.

Interesting, is it possible that Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be even more powerful than what it is but it was too late to do any real changing? Or am I just speaking wants?

Margalis

Banned
Thanks, that is informative. I wasn't aware of that. This really is relavent to the quote of yours above.

This has been pointed out over and over in this thread. So you have no clue how the 360 works, even though it's old and well-documented. Oy...

In your opinion, is the 32 megabytes of eDRAM in the Wii U large enough to hold the data for aliasing, render targets, texturing, etc?

Why don't you do some basic math and figure it out? Oh right - math is not your strong suit.

BTW i do apologise if this has caused a shit storm, I appreciate the feedback. I don't believe i'm the only one who's questioning just how sufficient the 32 megabytes of eDRAM would be.

The problem is not "questioning." The problem is you made a series of posts about "fuck you Nintendo" and "shitbox cpu" and "slow bus" blah blah without having any clue of what you were talking about. I don't know if you are schizophrenic, trolling, randomly copying and pasting from stuff you find online without understanding it or what, but your grasp on even existing well-documented architectures seems fleeting at best.

There's no reason for you to be posting as much as you are given that you are basically clueless. That's what has caused a shit storm. The most clueless individual should not be the one throwing out the most incendiary statements.

How can you post for pages comparing the 360 to the WiiU without even knowing how the 360 works let alone the WiiU? I mean really. Just stop posting.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Not that I know of...

Actually I think the original devkits had 3Gb RAM and then downsized to 2Gb.
Devkits should still have 3GB - you need 1GB for OS and double the retail app ram for debugging.

@ikioi, I'm glad you learned something new but I see the rest of my post flew above your head. As the topic of this thread is not GPUs 101, I'll stop here. I'll just repeat what has already been suggested to you a couple of times already: keep calm, read more, post less. Enjoy your stay.

tipoo

Banned
This is technically about the Durango, but it applies to the Wii U since they both apparently try to make up for DDR3 with some embedded RAM.

On this platform I'd be concerned with memory bandwidth. Only DDR3 for system/GPU memory pared with 32MB of "ESRAM" sounds troubling. 32MB of ESRAM is only really enough to do forward shading with MSAA using only 32-bits/pixel color with 2xMSAA at 1080p or 4xMSAA at 720p. Anything else to ESRAM would require tiling and resolves like on the Xbox360 (which would likely be a DMA copy on 720) or attempting to use the slow DDR3 as a render target. I'd bet most titles attempting deferred shading will be stuck at 720p with only poor post process AA (like FXAA).

http://timothylottes.blogspot.ca/2013/01/orbis-and-durango.html

Interesting, is it possible that Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be even more powerful than what it is but it was too late to do any real changing? Or am I just speaking wants?

The eariler dev kits were overheating, so that is probably why the GPU it was so severely underclocked. Nintendo could have decided to bump up the CPU too after they could speed up the GPU.

This is technically about the Durango, but it applies to the Wii U since they both apparently try to make up for DDR3 with some embedded RAM.

http://timothylottes.blogspot.ca/2013/01/orbis-and-durango.html

Well, the leaked document for the Wii U said, "32MB high-bandwidth eDRAM, supports 720p 4x MSAA or 1080p rendering in a single pass." I still am surprised that Durango has 32MB of embedded RAM too.

AzaK

Well, the leaked document for the Wii U said, "32MB high-bandwidth eDRAM, supports 720p 4x MSAA or 1080p rendering in a single pass." I still am surprised that Durango has 32MB of embedded RAM too.
In what way surprised? Because of the limits imposed by only 32, as in 720 with AA and not 1080?

z0m3le

Banned
In what way surprised? Because of the limits imposed by only 32, as in 720 with AA and not 1080?

Yeah, this is a bit puzzling, especially since PS4 is supposedly targeting 1080p 3D @ 60fps? iirc, but with GDDR5, the frame buffer could be fairly large at 192GB/s, also the ~50% increase in GPU processing and CPU power, it's a noticeable step above XB3's rumored specs. Of course throwing around rumored specs and making them compete is a bit silly. especially for this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

However XB3's choices (rumored) reflect well on Wii U's design, obviously RAM will be an issue that will require lower textures, less draw distance and slower loading, with less stuff on screen at the same time. Still it's a bit better than I was originally thinking.

tipoo

Banned
Probably old news, but Chipworks offers die shots of all three dies in the package since November 2012. $200 each. The parts are called:

IBM L8A
Renesas D813301
Nintendo S1C-453A

https://chipworks.secure.force.com/...=NIN-C10234F5&viewState=DetailView&cartID=&g=

So THAT'S why they hadn't released one to the public yet, I was wondering if they would since they do with Apple products and some others.

200 bucks, that sucks.
Surely someone somewhere on the internet has some copies of the picture.

Things the general public in this thread is not aware of?

The leaks mentioned an accelerator, made it sound like GPU components (probably from the APU part) that are not tied to the rendering output, so are dedicated to GPGPU processing tasks. While the Wii U can do GPGPU, it's on the only GPU it has, which would bog down 3D performance.

Donnie

If a die shot of the GPU from chipworks would be enough to give us a very good idea of the the number of shader units/rops ect then I'd happily put $20 into the pot :)

Also is Renesas D813303 the tiny third die?

Jaagen

If a die shot of the GPU from chipworks would be enough to give us a very good idea of the the number of shader units/rops ect then I'd happily put $20 into the pot :)

I'd put in $20 as well. Then at least we would know.

I'd be in for $20 as well. Let's organize something!

z0ml3le said:
Yeah, this is a bit puzzling, especially since PS4 is supposedly targeting 1080p 3D @ 60fps? iirc, but with GDDR5, the frame buffer could be fairly large at 192GB/s, also the ~50% increase in GPU processing and CPU power, it's a noticeable step above XB3's rumored specs. Of course throwing around rumored specs and making them compete is a bit silly. especially for this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

However XB3's choices (rumored) reflect well on Wii U's design, obviously RAM will be an issue that will require lower textures, less draw distance and slower loading, with less stuff on screen at the same time. Still it's a bit better than I was originally thinking.

Over on Beyond3D they were positing that Durango might still use the DDR3 as a framebuffer in many instances while using the eSRAM for scratchpad, render targets, and a bunch of other things. It is interesting as Wii U should likely hold the same abilities. How they manage Wii U's RAM bandwidth and capacity will be a deciding factor.

Donnie

We've been discussing this for so long now, $20 seems like a small price to pay to finally get to a conclusion of sorts :)

kinggroin

Banned
Played NintendoLand for the first time yesterday, great aesthetic, but even more, runs at 720p/60fps with AA and is oh so colorful.

Not sure how this contributes, but couldn't figure out wherever to put this. I guess i hardly ever hear anyone mention how incredibly gorgeous this games is (plaza and pikmin levels in particular).

LOL, where did you read this? 1080p 3D would require it to render twice the resolution and at 60fps too?! This is going to be the new 120fps

Thraktor

I'd be happy to chip in a bit for the die photos, but keep in mind that we wouldn't actually be able to post them in this thread, so trying to find out anything from them would be fairly difficult.

MDX

Thats what Nintendo said in their IWATA ASKS.

IBM, AMD, and RENESAS

ozfunghi

I'd be happy to chip in a bit for the die photos, but keep in mind that we wouldn't actually be able to post them in this thread, so trying to find out anything from them would be fairly difficult.

Well, i think many people here wouldn't know how to look at a picture like that to begin with. I'd be happy taking the word of Wsippel, Blu, whoever knows how to interpret the image. Alternatively, the picture could be sent through PM to everybody who chipped in. As long as discussion can take place here.

20 bucks seems a bit steep, tbh, i'd rather get one or two e-shop games instead. But i'd be down for 5 (maybe 10 at most). I'm sure enough people are interested so the amount shouldn't be that big to chip in. I have no idea how you guys see the transaction happening. Does someone have a paypal account?

I don't even know. Renesas manufactured the gpu i thought. Maybe the Nintendo part is the eeprom or even the dsp, if Nintendo bought the rights to it as we speculated earlier in the thread.

Well I suppose we need to first agree on someone to recieve the money then we need to be sure which chip is the GPU (surely its Nintendo S1C?).
We know that, it's the biggest of the bunch. But we need someone in who can "read" the photos in order to know what will we buying!

Any volunteer to make the payment?? Of course we will pay him in advance!!!

Thraktor

I don't even know. Renesas manufactured the gpu i thought. Maybe the Nintendo part is the eeprom or even the dsp, if Nintendo bought the rights to it as we speculated earlier in the thread.

Yep, the GPU/eDRAM/ARM/DSP die is manufactured by Renesas, but the smaller (EEPROM?) die is probably manufactured by them too, so it's difficult to tell which is which without actually seeing the photos.

Donnie

We know that, it's the biggest of the bunch. But we need someone in who can "read" the photos in order to know what will we buying!

Any volunteer to make the payment?? Of course we will pay him in advance!!!

How do we know that? Is there somewhere on the chipworks site where they label each die on the chip?

z0m3le

Banned
But X720 has extra hardware to help this things that Wii U lacks.

I lack that type of information, and while I trust what you say. I don't understand how they can overcome nearly a 50% increase in gpu, over twice the memory bandwidth and again, IIRC PS4 also has some sort of component in the CPU that helps with stuff beyond the 8cores that are in there.

Obviously you can't tell me, but I've heard xenon was along for the ride, of course that was part of the PDF that Microsoft's lawyers tried to put a stop to and most people expect it to have changed quite a bit.

However its nice to know that Microsoft is going smart again, however I really hope they hit that 300 they wanted to in the PDF.

200 each? What a load of crap... but I've been wanting to know for a while... I'll put in 4 bucks each, 12 total.

Charging 200 for each is just a load of crap, so I'm not putting any more than that.

I lack that type of information, and while I trust what you say. I don't understand how they can overcome nearly a 50% increase in gpu, over twice the memory bandwidth and again, IIRC PS4 also has some sort of component in the CPU that helps with stuff beyond the 8cores that are in there.

Obviously you can't tell me, but I've heard xenon was along for the ride, of course that was part of the PDF that Microsoft's lawyers tried to put a stop to and most people expect it to have changed quite a bit.

However its nice to know that Microsoft is going smart again, however I really hope they hit that 300 they wanted to in the PDF.

Did they say it was in the CPU? If so, it confirms Jeff's theory.

Top Bottom