• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see an Elite Beat Agents 2/Ouendan 3?

Will we?
I don't know, but I hope they will make it true some time, on Wii U or 3DS(or both)..

... considering that you can now play osu! for free

What?!
Where?!
How?!
Please, give me further details, I played EBA but unfortunately I missed Ouendan(both 1 and 2) so I hope I haven't misunderstood your post.

I imported Ouendan back in 2005. I was so excited when Elite Beat Agents was announced at E3, and even more when I brought it home. Then I bought Ouendan 2. Ah, the memoreis...

Ive always loved the rendition of Jumpin' Jack Flash at the ending of EBA.
Its faster and more frenetic than the original, and DAT ENDING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvLCnKqYWzA

What?!
Where?!
How?!
Please, give me further details, I played EBA but unfortunately I missed Ouendan(both 1 and 2) so I hope I haven't misunderstood your post.

Its not Ouedan, its a pc game where some people have get music tracks and made them play like Ouendan and EBA, only that its played with a mouse so it plays really badly. The good thing is there is lots of different music already done, the bad, that it takes the charm of the game and it plays bad.

The real games are not only amazing rhythm games on their own right, but also the use of characters and stories makes them something else. The funny stories with every day problems, the sad stories with the deaths of family members or friends that work so well with the songs played and the hype and frenetic inducing stories with the upbeat music of the endings, thats what makes Ouendan and EBA special.

oh god, you just reminded me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26i8Qkj4BSc

one of the best

Will we?
Where?!
How?!

http://osu.ppy.sh/

based on the same gameplay as ouendan, eba, and a little bit of taiko drum master thrown in

Silkworm

A couple of months ago I got a DSi XL and got EBA (along with other games). I made it up to a point but I eventually got stuck. Is it just a matter of getting the hang of the rhythm and practice, practice, practice? I thought I could get an A rank on one of the first easy stages but I guess you have to be absolutely perfect to get such a ranking. Getting A ranks on all stages... *shudder* Anyway, maybe I just needed a break and I'll give it another try :)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
SMH at the idea of DLC...

Except that it'd be a good use of DLC. Finish the main game with 20+ songs, then .99 for a pack of new songs with new scenarios and freebies, like new characters/teams/etc. An endless depository of new content. Kinda like how You Don't Know Jack has tons of extra chapters after the already stuffed main game. :)

addik

Oh god, that EBA/Phoenix Wright crossover is godly.

They should do this with some of the franchises that have really made a mark on the DS, like maybe Mario and Professor Layton. It's probably a horrible idea now that I think back at it, but it will probably be easier to market the EBA franchise.

Its not Ouedan, its a pc game where some people have get music tracks and made them play like Ouendan and EBA, only that its played with a mouse so it plays really badly. The good thing is there is lots of different music already done, the bad, that it takes the charm of the game and it plays bad.

Ah, soomething like that IPhone/IPad game I saw here on GAF some time ago?
That looked awful to me.

squall23

Isn't the rhythm genre long dead? Seems unlikely there will be any more rhythm games for a long while.
Let's see.
09./16. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040) - 10.125 / 377.290 (+48%)
15./14. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 7.450 / 408.575 (-2%)
Nope. Also, music games usually have lineups in popular arcades.

STG!

I would instantly buy a JPN 3DS LL if it was ever announced. Without hesitation. Ouendan 1 & 2 are incredible games. Do it iNiS.

Tyeforce

755dQxa.jpg

Qlg0X6Z.jpg

V4N5HxV.jpg
You forgot some:

6236117036_4fda8e77a3.jpg

Rhythm-heaven-fever.jpg

:)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
You forgot some! :)

Thanks, was about to update my post with those.

SMH at the idea of DLC...

Ah, soomething like that IPhone/IPad game I saw here on GAF some time ago?
That looked awful to me.

I would like more extra stuff of course, but for free as unlockable content, just like on EBA.

Edit: if you mean FREE DLC, that's more like it, but most of the times you have to pay for extra stuff.

Free content?
I'd be OK with it, but if it's something like Guitar hero that'd put me off.

pYRXZ31.jpg

As long as the main game has a huge amount of songs, I'd be willing to accept paid DLC for EBA if it meant more new songs that had their own unique scenarios.
For example, Living La Vida Loca would have a college student desperately riding his motorcycle at mach speed through a city and some crazy parade to make it to his anniversary dinner with his girlfriend.
Or Who Let The Dogs Out? could feature a quirky female who reluctantly tries to find owners for a ragtag group of stray mutts.

In short: Provide fun new levels with new songs at a decent price and we're golden.

A couple of months ago I got a DSi XL and got EBA (along with other games). I made it up to a point but I eventually got stuck. Is it just a matter of getting the hang of the rhythm and practice, practice, practice? I thought I could get an A rank on one of the first easy stages but I guess you have to be absolutely perfect to get such a ranking. Getting A ranks on all stages... *shudder* Anyway, maybe I just needed a break and I'll give it another try :)

I found EBA much harder on a DSiXL for some reason. Maybe the increased screen size hurts it?

Bruno MB

Ouendan 2 sold four times more units than the previous title, it is certainly weird that we never got to see a sequel.

JavyOO7

I beat Ouendan in all difficulties with S rank. EBA, on the other hand, did most of it on S rank. But I like Ouendan more because of the play list. Though my music tastes these days I'm more willing to accept anything musically, I'm sure I would adore EBA now.

I don't have Ouendan 2, though. Therefore I suck. But thanks to this thread I will now buy it even though I'm poor. I don't think nothing will beat Ouendan 1 but I'm willing to find out...

zashga

Loved Ouendan 1 and 2. Ouendan 3 on 3DS would be heartbreaking thanks to region lock. EBA 2 would be nice, I guess.

Silkworm

I found EBA much harder on a DSiXL for some reason. Maybe the increased screen size hurts it?

Nuts :-\ Anyway, I've been really having fun with Castlevania:Dawn of Sorrow lately and I started games of Picross 3D and GTA: Chinatown Wars a while ago which I pick up and play from time to time, so I'll try to get back to EBA eventually. Maybe I'll just devote one day to each song in EBA until I get at least a C rank and leave it at that for the time being. I'm currently playing on Crusin' difficulty so I know it can get a lot harder :p.

PsionBolt

I will admit it: EBA's Christmas stage was the first game to make me cry in years.

Like, not just tearing up. Flat out crying. The fact that I played it on Christmas Day made it even more touching. It totally caught me off guard.

This is a huge part of what made these games awesome. One might not think story has any place in music games, but that level... God damn, that level hit so hard. I cried. And then I cried again at the motorcycle accident level in Oendan, and again at the figure skating level in Oendan 2. It's just ridiculous how touching it is, for a two-and-a-half-minute short story. Amazing.

The second they announce EBA 2 or something very similar for the 3DS is when I take the bullet and buy the system. Pretty much the best game on the DS.

EBA was amazing. Genuinely challenging and more moving/emotional than a lot of big-budget games that try to be.

That little girl in the last mission ;-;

I would probably buckle down and buy a 3DS for another, tbh. Just a fun game.

I still own, and love, all three. I would love another even more. These games, these games man. Every one of them made me cry. Every one of them made me feel awesome. Every one of them made me love terrible songs.

I can phonetically sing about half of the songs from the original Ouendan. When I was in Japan, the group we went to karaoke with were dumb struck. When they asked how I knew them, without really thinking I replied 'Ouendan' and they were all like 'You were an ouendan?'

I just smiled and nodded.

Yes. Why yes, I was.

This is a huge part of what made these games awesome. One might not think story has any place in music games, but that level... God damn, that level hit so hard. I cried. And then I cried again at the motorcycle accident level in Oendan, and again at the figure skating level in Oendan 2. It's just ridiculous how touching it is, for a two-and-a-half-minute short story. Amazing.

you're going to make me well up. stop!

Desiato

I still own, and love, all three. I would love another even more. These games, these games man. Every one of them made me cry. Every one of them made me feel awesome. Every one of them made me love terrible songs.

I can phonetically sing about half of the songs from the original Ouendan. When I was in Japan, the group we went to karaoke with were dumb struck. When they asked how I knew them, without really thinking I replied 'Ouendan' and they were all like 'You were an ouendan?'

I just smiled and nodded.

Yes. Why yes, I was.

Hah, this made me lol. Ouendan was also my first real introduction to some good Japanese tunes.

PaineReign

Neo Member
I will admit it: EBA's Christmas stage was the first game to make me cry in years.

Like, not just tearing up. Flat out crying. The fact that I played it on Christmas Day made it even more touching. It totally caught me off guard.

"... we shouldn't have looked..."

Loved that stage, absolutely fantastic game overall.

I believe in their 200th issue Nintedo Power put it as their favorite DS game. Not that it means anything per se, but it was awesome to see their support behind it.

One of my favorite gaming experiences ever, top 5 on the DS for sure.

I just looked at some gameplay of Rhythm Thief and that game looks boss. I'm seriously thinking of getting that game after I get my new 3DSXL and Pokemon Black 2 on March.

How can you not think the stuff he does isn't cool after watching gameplay.
tumblr_mbqoqvoNOT1qijtn7o1_r1_500.gif

I still need to buy the Ouendan games. I regret importing the Bleach fighting game instead of Ouendan, back when it was a choice between Ouendan 1, Bleach, and Jump Ultimate Super Stars.

Cbajd5

Yeah we need more EBA/Ouendan/Gitaroo Man. I can really see a new EBA/Ouendan coming to the Wii U, especially once they get 2 Gamepads in games for local multiplayer. I don't know why, but I don't see it happening on the 3DS though, because of the 3D screen needing to be largely ignored during gameplay. But for some reason I can see Gitaroo Man coming to the 3DS, I think the circle pad would work well with it.

NINTENDO YOU WANT MORE PEOPLE TO LOVE YOU, SO GO THROW MONEY AT PEOPLE UNTIL THIS HAPPENS.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I believe in their 200th issue Nintedo Power put it as their favorite DS game. Not that it means anything per se, but it was awesome to see their support behind it.

Also, from the final issue, NP's top 285 all-time favorite games:
LuvLULL.jpg

WOW.

Jintor

Fuck it i just reordered a copy off amazon.

I can't wait to S-rank perfect every song in Ouendan 2 for the third time

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
These games were my bread and butter when I was in my first/second year of undergrad. I'd love to have an Ouendan 3 because these games were well-designed and extremely fun to play and try and perfect, but like ShockingAlberto said, it's unlikely to happen.

oh god, you just reminded me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26i8Qkj4BSc

one of the best
Aw gosh, this thing tears me up inside.

I just looked at some gameplay of Rhythm Thief and that game looks boss. I'm seriously thinking of getting that game after I get my new 3DSXL and Pokemon Black 2 on March.
Just don't put too much stock into the narrative. IMO, it falls apart while trying to do too many things at once. If you've liked Sega's music games, you'll probably see some stuff that reminds you of them a whole lot (like, outright callbacks). I felt that some of the exploration, pacing, and minigame design were flawed, but those truly seem to be divisive matters.

Top Bottom