• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we have to rebuy our digital titles on the NX? Can Nintendo get away with it?

When the Wii U was released, players had to rebuy their classic titles (NES, SNES, etc) that they had bought for the Wii. I believe the same thing was true with the 3DS. You already own SNES games on the Wii or Wii U? Buy them again if you want to play them on the go.

I don't remember reading anything about the NX offering classic titles as downloads, but I assume it'll be the case. So my question is: can Nintendo get away, once more, with forcing its customers to repurchase their classic titles?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I hope that we won't but I expect that we will have to. Hell, I hope that NX will have a Virtual Console at all when it launches.

At least, the concept of a single hybrid system will make my pleas for cross buy and cloud saves obsolete...

sony got away with making you rebuy ps2 classics on ps4, and unlike nintendo, you didnt get a discount for owning the ps2 classic on ps3

Sakura

With the Wii U weren't you able to play all your purchases on the Wii via BC? And didn't you get a discount or something if you bought the Wii U versions? 3DS is back compat with DSi digital content as well iirc.

FZZ

Banned
Don't worry I'm sure they'll give us that have bought it on Wii/Wii U a small discount that we should be grateful for

There really aren't any features they'd need to add to the NX version of their VC emulator. They didn't make you rebuy games to play them with the same functionality you already had on Wii, so I don't think they'll make you rebuy your Wii U VC games on NX, either.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What does "getting away with it" even mean?

I'm still holding out hope that the NES mini is running the NX OS and that it'll come with a code to download those 30 games on NX day one.

At most you'll get a discount.

I stopped buying VC stuff after the Wii since you get a much better experience (feature wise) through actual emulators. Being unable to map controls on the 3DS virtual console made it pretty useless.

Escalario

Banned
Sony is doing just fine making you rebuy PS2 games you got on PS3 for 20€. At least Nintendo had a cheap upgrade option. Also Wii mode compatibility means you only had to upgrade if you wanted new features (Off TV play, Miiverse, etc.).

mantis23

Wii to Wii U only required you to pay a small upgrade. You didnt have to rebuy them at full price.

Supposedly, the new account system Nintendo rolled out this year will track purchases and such but I dont think anyone knows if its retroactive to older purchases or not. The speculation is that NX purchases will be tied to this account and not the hardware but at this point nobody knows for sure.

Ladekabel

As far as I know the transition from Wii to Wii U did only cost an upgrade fee if you wanted to use OffTV-Play and the game was available on the eShop. If that is okay or not is up to everyone to decide.

I sure as hell hope that my VC titles carry over. I'm still pretty pissed that I can't play my Wii U SNES games on my n3DS without rebuying them again. I'd love to play Earthbound again on my n3DS and even if I love the game, I don't see a reason to buy it again if every other platform I use has crossbuy.

JimiNutz

Banned
I do think it's unfair and I think it's stupid from a business point of view.
Nintendo have such an extensive back catalogue of games that they should be offering some kind of monthly service.
$5-10 per month and you can download and play any of the past catalogue (up to a certain point - mabye Gamecube?) Get to keep one game per month.

TheMoon

I don't remember reading anything about the NX offering classic titles as downloads, but I assume it'll be the case. So my question is: can Nintendo get away, once more, with forcing its customers to repurchase their classic titles?

We know nothing about NX so you can't read anything like that about it anyway. (note the emphasis pls)

You bought versions with extra features for a tiny upgrade fee when going from Wii U to Wii plus you didn't have to, you could play all of them on your new machine. You paid the upgrade fee to upgrade them for the extra functionality. That is a huge difference.

Not offering it for SNES VC on N3DS is crappy but it makes sense from the perspective that they didn't have the ability to do it for NES without retroactively pissing people off who bought games before they unified the eShop accounts under the NNID which is now already the baseline they're starting from on NX.

This is a very different situation now and you cannot possibly predict how that's gonna shake out unless you love yourself some cynicism.

The transfer was not free, so it does not really count.

System transfer for all your Wii software to your Wii U costs you zero money. What.

This issue - along with how they handle user accounts and region locking - is going to be very telling of Nintendo's ability to listen. They seriously need to get with the times with this stuff. It's not even a matter of being in line with the competition anymore.

MacTag

Banned
You can still play your Wii VC on your Wii U free of charge. It's only upgrading to the native Wii U VC versions that nets you a small free ($1-2) which still is far below the original pricepoints ($5-12).

Given NX won't be backwards compatible though I'd expect another VC upgrade fee. Hopefully pulling from both Wii U (NES/SNES/GBA/N64/DS) and 3DS (GB/GBC/NES/SNES) since it's functionally succeeding both hardware lines.

RomanceDawn

I'm worried that yes, yes we will but for corn sakes Nintendo just let me carry them over for free! I've been so loyal!

I just have so many games still stuck in Wii mode that never made the transition, I hope there will be some way to bring those over as well.

I wan't my Sonic 1-Knuckles out of Wii mode yesterday! :mad:

:(

Just a humble reminder: Nintendo allowed Wii U and 3DS users to transfer every bit of digital data from their Wii and DSi at no cost, despite the latter having no account system ("proper" or otherwise).

When the Wii U was released, players had to rebuy their classic titles (NES, SNES, etc) that they had bought for the Wii. I believe the same thing was true with the 3DS. You already own SNES games on the Wii or Wii U? Buy them again if you want to play them on the go.

If NX games are on cards like rumors suggest then there's no way the system will have a disc drive. Perhaps it'll be backwards compatible with all the Wii U digital content? Even then I wouldn't hold your breath.

Davey Cakes

I hope Nintendo offers a free transfer via MyNintendo at least.

They know what I bought from Club Nintendo. All those downloads were tracked. And my NNID is linked. I was already getting the upgrade discounts on Wii U so I really hope this time, flat out, we get vouchers for what we already had.

Wishful thinking of course.

Harlock

Let's hope you can plug the NES Mini into the NX so we can get 30 great Virtual Console games at 2 bucks each.

RedBoot

I'm hoping that they'll have at least something. I'm definitely not buying any more VC games on Wii U until we find out, though.

(With the exception of Fire Emblem DS, assuming it comes out in the US before the NX releases)

TheMoon

3DS version of the SNES games didn't have a discount if you owned the WiiU version

Rebuy at full price

Because you can't do that without everyone going "so why does that not apply to my NES games then?" since that VC service (and platform) existed before NNIDs existed. It's a mess of a situation and they should have offered at least a discount but there is a sliver of an understandable reason for that on that specific platform due to it's age and evolution over time.

pls note how I'm not saying "everything is beautiful"
(been here for too long, I know some of y'all can't read)

AmuroChan

sony got away with making you rebuy ps2 classics on ps4, and unlike nintendo, you didnt get a discount for owning the ps2 classic on ps3

We don't know that. Maybe those PS2 on PS4 games are selling poorly. That's why they're included in Flash sales seemingly all the time because no one is buying them at full price.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The premise of the OP is wrong.
Wii to wiiu transfer was free. You had to play a small Fee for the upgrade.
I dont even know if other more modern infrastructures as the ps or the ms ones allow you to do that..
So...

I think you will have to play on NX because they are cutting bridges with the past

MacTag

Banned
I'm worried that yes, yes we will but for corn sakes Nintendo just let me carry them over for free! I've been so loyal!

I just have so many games still stuck in Wii mode that never made the transition, I hope there will be some way to bring those over as well.

I wan't my Sonic 1-Knuckles out of Wii mode yesterday! :mad:

:(
You'll have to talk to Sega about that. Both they and SNK haven't even bothered for Wii U, and Konami dragged their ass getting on it too.

Top Bottom