• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we have to rebuy our digital titles on the NX? Can Nintendo get away with it?

TheMoon

The premise of the OP is wrong.
Wii to wiiu transfer was free. You had to play a small Fee for the upgrade.
I dont even know if other more modern infrastructures as the ps or the ms ones allow you to do that..
So...

I think you will have to play on NX because they are cutting bridges with the past

I think all the Xbox One BC stuff is an automatic carryover for digital purchases on 360 if they're supported under BC. But not sure.

Haunted

They'll only get away with it if you let them.

How often have they managed to sell you the same games again and again? You can stop this shit.

AdanVC

People will keep buying Super Mario Bros for the 20349875th time so yes. They will get away with it an sell them once again. Releasing one single NES game a week as well instead of launching the whole library in a Netflix-esque subscription way because Nintendo likes to party like it's 2006.

sony got away with making you rebuy ps2 classics on ps4, and unlike nintendo, you didnt get a discount for owning the ps2 classic on ps3

And unlike Nintendo, they added incentive with trophies and proper upscaling. You're better off playing old Nintendo games on PC than an actual WiiU. They cant even emulate their own games properly. That's pathetic.

Kouriozan

Almost never bought VC games on Wii, and only the 1€ (I think) Metroid and Kirby on Wii U with the launch promotion (not upgrade), and this won't change until I'm sure everything will be forward compatible (also the VC is really bad on Wii U)

The Hermit

This issue - along with how they handle user accounts and region locking - is going to be very telling of Nintendo's ability to listen. They seriously need to get with the times with this stuff. It's not even a matter of being in line with the competition anymore.

A Nintendo universal account is all I want. Thats it.

maxcriden

Yes, we'll have to rebuy.

Yes, there will be an upgrade fee.

However, my utmost hope is that all VC currently on Wii U will be available day one. I believe Nintendo has said that Wii U VC architecture was designed to be forward compatible to be folded into future hardware. Anyone have a quote handy about this?

You'll have to talk to Sega about that. Both they and SNK haven't even bothered for Wii U, and Konami dragged their ass getting on it too.

Hey, Konami is actually one of the best Wii U VC supporters, if not the best one after Nintendo itself. Lots of Konami and Hudson titles are on the service.

(Square Enix in the West, on the other hand...)

Of course Nintendo will get away with it. It's not like they're committing a crime. People who don't like the idea of re-buying the games won't. They can just as easily play on the older systems.

Which makes sense as you can still play it on the system you purchased it on.

Then they need to incentivize it by adding features. From a consumer stand point it makes no sense to buy the same game again otherwise. Nintendo failed by not having an account system or cross buy. They just nickel and dime their anemic userbase.

hank_tree

So you can transfer the games to your Wii U from your Wii for free. What exactly does this upgrade do? I ask because I genuinely don't know how Nintendo has handled this.

It lets you play the games in Wii U mode. So you don't need to boot into the Wii mode.

Also it lets you play the games on the gamepad.

The Hermit

Btw its a damn shame what happened to the VC after the Wii era.

It had so much potential and even had old exclusive games like Drácula X and Sin & Punishment.

WiiWare was great too an look what happened...

Should you have to pay again? Yes, absolutely.

Nintendo will will have to write code, test and release the game again. Nintendo has new expenses associated with the game, they sell the game to cover those costs and make a profit. If it was literally just flipping a switch and the old game ran perfectly on the new thing then you have a right to complain. But that is almost certainly not the case with NX. If you buy a game once on a platform one time that does not entitle you to every version of it on every platforms. If you dont like this practice then dont buy it again.

RPGam3r

Yes I'll rebuy, like have each time. Will they get away with it? For me sure, especially if they talk up the games finally getting attached to my account.

So you can transfer the games to your Wii U from your Wii for free. What exactly does this upgrade do? I ask because I genuinely don't know how Nintendo has handled this.

After the transfer, all your titles from Wii will be available in Wii U's "Wii Menu"-- basically, Wii operating system the Wii U reboots to.

You can then play them as you did on Wii, or buy their native Wii U version at a great discount. Native versions have some additional functionality like the support for Wii U controllers, save states, button remappings and other functions depending on the platform.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think they will have an upgrade fee again for people who already bought the game - i would assume thats because they might add new features for the NX emulation of the old system and well...they also have to port/test the games for a new architecture - so some work is involved.

They need to somehow realize online multiplayer for VC games.

ViolentP

It lets you play the games in Wii U mode. So you don't need to boot into the Wii mode.

Also it lets you play the games on the gamepad.

After the transfer, all your titles from Wii will be available in Wii U's "Wii Menu"-- basically, Wii operating system the Wii U reboots to.

You can then play them as you did on Wii, or buy their native Wii U version at a great discount. Native versions have some additional functionality like the support for Wii U controllers, save states, button remappings and other functions depending on the platform.

Got it, thanks. Maybe it's just me but that seems kinda crazy. In my opinion, these services should be provided for free.

Btw its a damn shame what happened to the VC after the Wii era.

It had so much potential and even had old exclusive games like Drácula X and Sin & Punishment.

WiiWare was great too an look what happened...

Eh. I'd say Wii U Virtual Console is a good successor, especially in Europe, where we got two EarthBound games for the first time and were mostly free of 50 Hz hell. The games selection is nicer than the US one too, AFAIK.

GamerJM

Banned
You don't have to rebuy anything. You have the option of keeping your old consoles to play those games, and you also have the option of not buying those games at all. They're giving you the option to upgrade.

Nintendo will will have to write code, test and release the game again. Nintendo has new expenses associated with the game, they sell the game to cover those costs and make a profit. If it was literally just flipping a switch and the old game ran perfectly on the new thing then you have a right to complain. But that is almost certainly not the case with NX. If you buy a game once on a platform one time that does not entitle you to every version of it on every platforms. If you dont like this practice then dont buy it again.

While that might be true, you also have examples like BC in XOne, where you carry over your games from 360 (at least the ones available) at no extra cost. Or the apps that you buy in your Android device carrying over to the next one. I'd expect Nintendo to make you pay a fee to upgrade, not full price.

Javier

I stand by my previous prediction.

Barring the specific 3rd party titles that get removed due to Copyrights or whatever, all VC titles from 3DS and Wii U will carry over to NX and you will be able to download them as soon as you sync your NNID.

sensui-tomo

You didn't have to rebuy them on Wii U and anyway, Sony seems to have gotten away with it.

you had to buy them on wii-u to play it on native wii-u, you didnt have to pay to transfer them to wii mode on wii-u aka not on gamepad, and on old controllers from wii. sony shared purchases between psp/ps3/psv and nintendo never allowed that.

ViolentP

While that might be true, you also have examples like BC in XOne, where you carry over your games from 360 (at least the ones available) at no extra cost. Or the apps that you buy in your Android device carrying over to the next one. I'd expect Nintendo to make you pay a fee to upgrade, not full price.

Even GOG is giving you free copies of games you own on Steam. I do not see any logical reasoning behind being charged for a game you already bought. Now, if they released a new version of the game, then charge for it. But the exact copy you already own for access to a particular controller and interface? Crazytown.

The Boat

you had to buy them on wii-u to play it on native wii-u, you didnt have to pay to transfer them to wii mode on wii-u aka not on gamepad, and on old controllers from wii.

You don't have to tell me that, but you can still have them on your Wii U for no extra charge.

Jumeira

Banned

You trying to impress Reggie? Quite cringe worthy read. By that logic we should pay for updates made to the OS too. MS offered BC for free, the standard has been set, so customers are right to ask for the same from others.

sensui-tomo

You don't have to tell me that, but you can still have them on your Wii U for no extra charge.

not technically on the wii-u since its in the wii portion. wii-u VC works differently than wii mode VC, the fact that required a paywall was absurd. considering sony let you use the games on 3 different platforms (and multiple devices for said platforms which enabled gamesharing)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You trying to impress Reggie? Quite cringe worthy read. By that logic we should pay for updates made to the OS too. MS offered BC for free, the standard has been set, so customers are right to ask for the same from others.

Nintendo also offered the same level of BC for free. Anything digital from your Wii can be brought up for free and played in Wii Mode, with some slight enhancements. I didn't see MS giving away anything remastered for free.

Wii U VC does have Miiverse integration, full Gamepad integration, a new save state system. So if you want to pay for that, you can.

Tripon

Yeah, Sony just did it with PS2 classics on PS4. There is no pressure to offer Universal accounts like everyone wants.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The transfer was not free, so it does not really count.

Well. Yes and no. You could transfer over your Wii content and run the Wii U in Wii mode to access all your old stuff for free. You did have to pay a fee to get the purchases over into Wii U mode though.

ViolentP

Nintendo also offered the same level of BC for free. Anything digital from your Wii can be brought up for free and played in Wii Mode, with some slight enhancements. I didn't see MS giving away anything remastered for free.

Wii U VC does have Miiverse integration, full Gamepad integration, a new save state system. So if you want to pay for that, you can.

Are you really comparing gamepad integration, save system, and Miiverse integration to a remaster? Holy fuck.

wrowa

I just hope they'll continue the Virtual Console. Sony abandoning PS Classics on PS4 still frustrates me greatly.

HotHamBoy

No. Plus I'm pretty sure Nintendo will roll out a Netflix style gaming service for 9.99 for NES-GameCube.

Where do you get that idea? Nintendo is nowhere near that savvy. Besides, why charge $10/mo for a sub when you can charge $5-10 a game a people keep paying for it?

ViolentP

Yeah, Sony just did it with PS2 classics on PS4. There is no pressure to offer Universal accounts like everyone wants.

Different scenario. The digital and physical media markets are independent of each other and the PS2 didn't have digital games. Now, if Sony decides to release PS3 games on the PS4, it would be interesting which system the would go, Nintendo or Microsoft.

Kathian

Banned
VC games will carry on but if it's not BC then any 3DS/Wii U games will not carry over when they get a VC release. Could be same for Wii games. DS will be fine as that's VC.

Murdamonk

Sony is doing just fine making you rebuy PS2 games you got on PS3 for 20€. At least Nintendo had a cheap upgrade option. Also Wii mode compatibility means you only had to upgrade if you wanted new features (Off TV play, Miiverse, etc.).

True. But at least when you buy PS1 classics for the PS3, it is playable on the Vita and PSP too (most of them anyways).

In Nintendo's case, you need to buy them both on the 3ds and the Wii.

Top Bottom