• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you tell your kid/future kid that Santa is real?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got presents from santa, hung stockings, etc. but my parents never pretended he was real. We all knew it was just a game we were playing. Weirdly some christmases even when teens we would get a mix of gifts some labeled "from santa" and some "from mom and dad".

In my opinion this is a very healthy way to do it, I don't think it's right to lie to children just because they are young and can't see through it. Not interested in trying to explain away mall santas and various things.

I think it's good to give children fun things to believe in like Santa and stuff. They'll grow out of it themselves and unless they have some mental issue they'll find out and move on like nothing happened.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
No I'm perfectly happy with any kids I have believing in xmas just like me and my sister did and how my nephew and niece do. It's a great fun time of year and a great build up for the kids. The world's generally a horrible fuckin place, having one time of year where kids (or at least some kids) can have a bit of joy and fun/build up is great IMO. I know some folks don't like it or consider it lying to their kids and don't want to and that's fine but Christmas time is great, love it. Always been my favourite time of the year.

MrHoot

I'm gonna tell them instead about the Birthday Skeleton

birthday-skeleton-540x1472.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
There is no awkward conversation. Kids understand you wanted them to have fun. They're smart like that.

There's nothing wrong allowing kids to have some fun and fantasy for a few years.

I have a different opinion on this matter.

there are far better ways to make children believe in fantasy.

tell them learning playing a music instrument and doing music is like a magic spell that makes people feel good, that is actually true.

"hey, I lied to you, hope you had fun buddy!" is a several years long lie that really proves the point that fantasy and believeing in magical things is Bullshit.

nathanosaurus

Neo Member
Of course I'll tell my children Father Christmas is real. My youngest is 1 and my eldest is 3. This is the first year he really understands Christmas so we're going the whole hog. We even downloaded an app so Father Christmas "calls" him to tell him he's looking forward to visiting. It's all magic to him. He gets very excited.

If you want to take that away from your future child then that's a personal choice but I think it's a little sad. They're only young for a little bit. I'm sure by 8 they would have worked it out. I was about that age but I still pretended for my younger siblings.

Please explain how I am being selfish and hindering my child's imagination, happiness, and creativity by not being a Christian.
The discussion has nothing to do with you being Christian or not. Obviously if you don't celebrate Christmas, the whole discussion is not relevant to you.

But if you do celebrate it with gifts and such, going along with Santa Claus because it is fun for kids is not wrong like some posters here think.

Mephala

I'm all for Santa and Christmas spirits if the kids and family enjoy it. At some point I'll also educate them in gifting others and probably tell them about Saint Nicolas if they don't learn of it at school.

Edit. For what its worth, my family doesn't really celebrate christmas but given it is a public holiday it is a great opportunity to spend it with friends and family. It is easy to get pulled into dinners or lunches with those who do celebrate and honestly, no reason to be a downer at a party just because you want to crush children's dreams of a kind old guy delivering presents to them at night.

psychotron

We let our kids (3 and 2 years old), believe. They love it and are so into Christmas music and movies. The look on their faces when we took them to see Santa yesterday, was incredibly precious.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I never believed in Santa when I was a kid, but I went along with it because I knew it meant extra presents lol

I suspect any future kid of mine will probably figure that out too.

highrider

Banned
Please explain how I am being selfish and hindering my child's imagination, happiness, and creativity by not being a Christian.

It has nothing to do with Christianity really. I understand you've latched on to that, but it's just something fun that requires no effort at all. It ain't that serious.

I have a different opinion on this matter.

there are far better ways to make children believe in fantasy.

tell them learning playing a music instrument and doing music is like a magic spell that makes people feel good, that is actually true.

"hey, I lied to you, hope you had fun buddy!" is a several years long lie that really proves the point that fantasy and believeing in magical things is Bullshit.

That's cool, again I'm not seeing the lie of Santa being a deciet with negative motivation in any way. It's a fun thing to do, and as a parent it's pretty joyful when kids are young and so excited for Christmas. They get older and figure it out. The idea that you would even have to sit your kid down and have a serious conversation about it is silly.

Fat4all

Banned
IF MY CHILD DOESN'T BELIEVE IN SANTA, THEN THEY WON'T HAVE ANY IMAGINATION

IT'S NOT LIKE

THERE'S OTHER WAYS I COULD

FOSTER THAT TRAIT

popo

Problem is that if you tell your kids the truth, they are going to tell their friends - so prepare for pissed off parents.

Most kids have sussed it out for themselves before any parents get round to telling them the truth, I imagine very few are shocked.

t-storm

If and when you have a child, you will learn very quickly that things aren't about you anymore. Your 3-4 year old doesn't give a fuck about what your beliefs are but rather what is going on around them. The Santa they're hearing about from daycare/pre-school, the rehearsed song about Santa, reindeer and elves they have to sing at school, the Christmas cartoons and commercials that come on tv, the decorations in people's yards and at malls...

your 3-4 year old will decide if they believe in it or not and if yes, really, you're going to be THAT parent that tells them none of it is real?

I'm afraid to even admit I have a kid here after reading that thread on how selfish that is. So yes I'm sorry my non adopted child was led to believe there was a Santa.

Dougald

Sure I will, it's a wonderful tradition, and getting older and starting to question it helps kids to learn to question other things, imo.

Zach

My ex was really happy to come clean about Santa to our son (he was probably 10 or so) because she was tired of not getting credit for the presents. >_>

Yeah we told them Santa was real. They don't believe anymore but it was a little bit of magic in their lives for a few years.

There's no harm in it. Do people tell their 4 year olds about all the horror and suffering in the world. I mean, it's the truth, it's reality. Would you show them videos of Aleppo at night before bed?

Yeah in gonna go along with the Santa story. It's a nice story for kids and no kids were ever harmed believing in Santa.

This is also why the Christmas story is the best Christmas movie.

If you're going to tell your kids that Santa is fake, why stop there? Why not Sesame Street, The Magic School Bus, Thunderbirds, Peppa Pig and Thomas The Tank Engine too?

Don't you ever being Peppa into this!!

Chichikov

I have a five year old brother and he still believes in Santa. While I have always found the idea of Santa to be good in theory, I'm probably won't be telling my future kids a it Santa because I really don't see what the positive is for anyone. The kid either learns that he isn't real from the playground kids or you have to have that awkward conversation that you lied about it for no reason.
The bolded I never understood (though it's important to note that I'm Jewish and I was born in a place where I didn't know anyone who celebrates Christmas, so I get all of that 2nd hand at best), how is "there's a magical dude in the sky who watch over you and if you don't misbehave he'll reward you" is better than "your parents love you very much and they bought you something that will make you happy"?

I learned a long time ago not to engage this issue in real life too often, as people seem to be really upset when I bring that up.

p.s.
As far as I know, my parents never straight up lied to me, my dog didn't go to a farm, my great grandmother didn't go on a trip to America, and I've always appreciated that. I don't think it would've been the end of the world if they did, but I'm happy that they didn't. Though again, being that I only have experience with one set of parents, it could be that my love to my parents makes me biased toward a certain style of parenting. I would say it's likely.

If you're going to tell your kids that Santa is fake, why stop there? Why not Sesame Street, The Magic School Bus, Thunderbirds, Peppa Pig and Thomas The Tank Engine too?
You thought that Sesame Street or Thunderbirds are real?
I'm sure there was an age where I couldn't quite grasp the concept of what is real or not, but ever since I could remember myself, I understood, at least broadly, that TV shows are generally not real. I also remember quite well that when I was scared from a TV show or a movie, my parents told me that it's not real.

RM8

It's honestly not important either way. I was told he isn't real by a teacher when I was 6 - and you know what? I didn't feel angry or sad. And I kept loving Christmas (and receiving presents) and it remains my favourite time of the year. No childhood broken, no imagination destroyed, hardly the same as being shown evidence of the cruelty and violence in this world, as some people are implying.

The bolded I never understood (though it's important to note that I'm Jewish and I was born in a place where I didn't know anyone who celebrates Christmas, so I get all of that 2nd hand at best), how is "there's a magical dude in the sky who watch over you and if you don't misbehave he'll reward you" is better than "your parents love you very much and they bought you something that will make you happy"?

I learned a long time ago not to engage this issue in real life too often, as people seem to be really upset when I bring that up.

p.s.
As far as I know, my parents never straight up lied to me, my dog didn't go to a farm, my great grandmother didn't go on a trip to America, and I've always appreciated that. I don't think it would've been the end of the world if they did, but I'm happy that they didn't. Though again, being that I only have experience with one set of parents, it could be that my love to my parents makes me biased toward a certain style of parenting. I would say it's likely.
I'm from Texas, every year before we go on Christmas break they let the kids come to school in pajamas, they have Christmas parties, and then all the kids go into the cafeteria and they put on a Christmas show. Then one of the staff dresses up like Santa and the kids gay a big kick out of it. I am not Christian but it's a nice thing to have for the kids.

I never understood this dilemma because I never got mad about this "lie".

Christmas was fun with Santa and all that stuff, learning "the truth" is just... growing up and picking apart fact from fantasy like the toothfairy

Some of you people lol. My parents always had one present from "santa" and the rest were from them. That way I got to believe in Santa but the cheery bastard didn't get all the cred.

jorma

is now taking requests

Santa still loves you and your kid man. That's why he lives in one of the most secular countries on the planet. He understands that those kids need him even more!

My mom told me straight out that there was no Santa. She wanted me to know that Christmas was about sharing, not getting, so the idea of a magic man giving kids stuff wasn't really in the holiday spirit, in her opinion.

I'll probably go with that when I have kids.

Chichikov

I'm from Texas, every year before we go on Christmas break they let the kids come to school in pajamas, they have Christmas parties, and then all the kids go into the cafeteria and they put on a Christmas show. Then one of the staff dresses up like Santa and the kids gay a big kick out of it. I am not Christian but it's a nice thing to have for the kids.
I get that, and I love Christmas too, I just never understood why pretending that Santa is real is an important part of the enjoyment kids (or adults) get out of the holiday.

Absolutely. My kids are going to have access to the internet, so I want to see how long it takes them to figure out how to do a Google search. I need to know if I'm raising little idiots.

Air

Banned
Nope. You don't need santa to make christmas meaningful.

Edit: I also was told that santa wasn't real as well.

I'm Santa
I'll probably fake it until my kids ask or they get old enough

But by the time I have kids who knows how fast info can spread. They might just say into the iPad "is Santa real?" And just like that they know

I get that, and I love Christmas too, I just never understood why pretending that Santa is real is an important part of the enjoyment kids (or adults) get out of the holiday.
It doesn't have to be important to be fun. Did anyone argue that it's important?

Nope. You don't need santa to make christmas meaningful.
Along the same lines, I don't think anyone is arguing the necessity of it. They're saying it's fun.

Kintaco

p.s.

You thought that Sesame Street or Thunderbirds are real?
I'm sure there was an age where I couldn't quite grasp the concept of what is real or not, but ever since I could remember myself, I understood, at least broadly, that TV shows are generally not real. I also remember quite well that when I was scared from a TV show or a movie, my parents told me that it's not real.
Personally I feel it's a fun thing for the kids. Nothing wrong with either stance on who brings the presents. It's just funny when people want the credit for the hard work. I love the look in my kids eyes when they open their gifts, I'm not thinking about getting credit. I'm thinking about my son's enjoyment. Either method would bring the same joy, but growing up with the Santa tradition it was just passed on. My oldest is 10 and is doubting already, so might have to have a talk with him. I don't he will be disappointed. In fact I believe he will be grateful that we went to crazy lengths to give him something special to remember.

Chichikov

It doesn't have to be important to be fun. Did anyone argue that it's important?
We're going to argue on that pedantic of a level?
Fine.
"I just never understood why pretending that Santa is real contribute to kids enjoyment of Christmas".
Personally I feel it's a fun thing for the kids.
I know, most people do, it's just that I'm not sure I understands why.
But again, since I have no direct personal experience with any of that, you might have to explain it to me like I'm 5.

Krejlooc

Banned
Absolutely. My kids are going to have access to the internet, so I want to see how long it takes them to figure out how to do a Google search. I need to know if I'm raising little idiots.

If you use "i'm feeling lucky" the first result is video evidence that Santa is real, recorded from someone specifically trying to prove he wasn't real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom