• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Store |OT| Games for Windows

iNvid02

windowsstoreh4xg3.png

untitled1pbpqn.png

Introducing the new Windows Store. A one-step shopping experience across every Windows 10 device. Browse the store on your PC,
tablet or phone and easily download great free and paid digital content including apps, games, music, films and TV programmes.

Windows Store was first made available with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on February 29, 2012. Later in 2015, Windows Phone
Store, Xbox Video and Xbox Music stores were merged into Windows Store.

Windows Store will serve as a unified storefront for Windows 10 on all platforms, offering apps, Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music)
and Microsoft Movies & TV (formerly Xbox Video) purchases. Web apps and desktop software (using either Win32 or .NET Framework)
can be packaged for distribution on Windows Store. Desktop software distributed through Windows Store will be packaged using the
App-V system to allow sandboxing.

untitled1dlq55.png

The top down initiative at Microsoft is to unify across all devices with the Win 10 store. To drive growth for the store and its UWP
(Universal Windows Platform) many Xbox titles will now also be coming to PC.

Xbox games coming to Windows 10

• EVERYTHING, ALL THE XBOX GAMES ARE COMING TO WINDOWS 10. ALL OF THEM.

untitled1s5qn7.png

Unlike regular Win32 games with .exe's, UWP apps are sandboxed and come with a variety of restrictions and limitations, although
these may not be pertinent issues for games and apps on other devices, for PC gaming these restrictions go against the nature of
the PC as an open platform for gaming. In addition, Win10 games can only be bought directly from the store.

• No SLI or CrossFire
    [*]VSync is Always On
    [*]GSYNC issues
  • Third Party Peripheral issues
  • Always Borderless Fullscreen Mode
  • No Modding
  • No Overlays
Microsoft's Response

untitled1sz1ovi.png

• Select titles will benefit from cross-buy promos, pre-order Quantum Break on Xbox One store to get Win10 version free

Currently the Win10 store is the sole place to purchase games from, resulting in a lack of discounts usually offered by third party
vendors such as Amazon or GMG. However, there were ways to purchase games from other regions of the store to take advantage
of the different regional pricing.

Notable deals included Rise of the Tomb Raider for $9 and $13 from the Ukrainian and Indian Win10 Store regions.

Discussion and instructions are included in the linked thread, however recently there have been reports of billing information
being declined indicating that Microsoft may have patched this now. Most likely patched

untitled1iysab.png

Lingitiz

As bad as Origin and Uplay are made out to be, that stuff seems small time in comparison to the issues with W10 store games.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Minecraft is available, it will just receive a VR content update.

And to add to deals: They've been available for years, called Red Stripe Deals. Typically 50 to 90 % off.

Many limitations on that list has been proved false already. Gsync, crossfire/sli works. Vsync can be turned off if the dev provides an setting (and apparently they are looking for a more universal solution). And some overlays do work already, so it's only a matter of time until more support it.

SliChillax

Many limitations on that list has been proved false already. Gsync, crossfire/sli works. Vsync can be turned off if the dev provides an setting (and apparently they are looking for a more universal solution). And some overlays do work already, so it's only a matter of time until more support it.

Gsync doesn't work, at least Gears UE doesn't support it.

bbd23

oh boy! hope the Windows 10 fall update doesn't fail for me again!

would love to play gears and quantum break

Phawx

even with vpn?

It seems that you need to put in an actual billing code address for that particular region. Which even if you do find some place, your CC could deny the authorization because that isn't the billing addy for your CC

What? Does this mean we cannot buy in india/ukraine anymore?

Yea, I even had my payment option saved for the Ukraine store and it will not process. Just gives me an error.

dmix90

GSync - not yet
Crossfire/SLI - even if you force it they do not work optimally without exclusive fullscreen in games prior to DX12
VSync - not yet
Overlays - paid DXTory app only as far as i know?

Really like OP layout. Looks tidy, nice job! :)

Shari

It seems that you need to put in an actual billing code address for that particular region. Which even if you do find some place, your CC could deny the authorization because that isn't the billing addy for your CC

Yea, I even had my payment option saved for the Ukraine store and it will not process. Just gives me an error.

Oh man, the fireworks are going to be big for this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
even with vpn?

It's not a matter of IP address; the billing info window is now tied to the store region. Even if your country and the region from which you're attempting to purchase share the same post code format, you're unable to change the country, so when the checkout system cross-references your billing info, an error is returned.

What? Does this mean we cannot buy in india/ukraine anymore?

Precisely. It's amusing that MS didn't care enough to implement such a basic measure back when Rise of the Tomb Raider released but ensured the loophole had been closed in time for Gears' launch.

iNvid02

ReCore was confirmed coming to PC and you also forgot Cuphead and Halo Wars 2.

May as well list that Turn10 confirmed future Forza Motorsport titles will be developed for Xbox and PC.

thanks

It's not a matter of IP address; the billing info window is now tied to the store region. Even if your country and the region from which you're attempting to purchase share the same post code format, you're unable to change the country, so when the checkout system cross-references your billing info, an error is returned.

Nope.

has anyone tried with those virtual cards you can get? they usually accept any billing info

i'll try and buy something with mine and see what happens

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
thanks

has anyone tried with those virtual cards you can get? they usually accept any billing info

i'll try and buy something with mine and see what happens

You don't have to, you can add those gift codes to your account and still buy from other stores. Seems like it's the credit card companies that don't allow the purchase. Paypal doesn't work either. But I don't think there are gift cards for Ukraine or India.

OP - do you want to put something in about the things that the Store brings to games - such as the Friends List, live integration, achievements, and the game bar for clip recording and so on?

Edit: A lot of this is windows 10 features not store features, my bad.

Kezen

Banned
Can you force Driver AF on UWA games ?

I can hardly stand less than 16xAF and Gears manifestly does not support it natively.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

G-sync does not work for gears of war.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I hope they get their shit together before QB launches. Not counting on it, but I'm buying it anyway just because I love Remedy.

hlhbk

Let me add my wonderful experience of my first purchase of a game on the Windows store this morning from the Gears threads:

So for shits and giggles I decided to try the Windows store since its only $30. I meet all of the requirements, and when I click install I get the following:

TuJb.png

Fucking really Microsoft? I have verified I have enough space on my HDD. There are other reports on the store about this issue. I have tried using wsreset, rebooting, went through another article about fixing this error by setting my region and still get the same error.

I can't find anywhere to tell the store where to download the game, and I have 100 GB free on my C drive so I am moving 42 GB to another drive to see if that helps. Anyone run into this and know the fix?

Great fucking store Microsoft.

UPDATE:

I now have 146 GB free on my C drive and get the same error. I have verified I can download other apps just fine via the store.

Please just end the madness Microsoft. I gave you a chance with GFWL, and defended it the whole way through. Now I can't even download the games I bought through it. If you are committed to PC gaming just go through Steam and save your reputation.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You don't have to, you can add those gift codes to your account and still buy from other stores. Seems like it's the credit card companies that don't allow the purchase. Paypal doesn't work either. But I don't think there are gift cards for Ukraine or India.

The issue is that the checkout system now also factors in the selected country when verifying billing info, not banks blocking a transaction that's perfectly valid.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Let me add my wonderful experience of my first purchase of a game on the Windows store this morning from the Gears threads:

Please just end the madness Microsoft. I gave you a chance with GFWL, and defended it the whole way through. Now I can't even download the games I bought through it. If you are committed to PC gaming just go through Steam and save your reputation.

You can fix the store download location by going into Windows Settings under the Apps tab and change drive.

And for those who don't mind a little effort to get good deals...

Using Bing Rewards and searching using Bing gives you points that can be redeemed for Starbucks, Amazon and...Windows Store.

If you have a job where you're sitting at a desk, you would be a fool to not use it.

My wife and I get about $20 credit from Amazon every month just because I have time at my job to go through and search using my account and her account.

G-sync doesn't work currently w/ Gears. From Gears thread:

GSync - not yet
Crossfire/SLI - even if you force it they do not work optimally without exclusive fullscreen in games prior to DX12
VSync - not yet
Overlays - paid DXTory app only as far as i know?

Really like OP layout. Looks tidy, nice job! :)

Gsync doesn't work, at least Gears UE doesn't support it.
Gsync won't work currently with gears, but it does on Rise of Tomb Raider.

Even if it didn't, requiring a driver update to support only shows lack of gsync isn't a uwa issue.

As for vsync the gigantic beta has an option that turns it off. So again possible, even if not optimal as it requires the dev to provide an setting.

And as sli/crossfire, let's face it. It's kinda of a hack that has issues with compatibility and performance since ever. It's not like these issues are exclusive to the store, and again uwa currently supports it even if it requires drivers updates. With dx12 that could become a moot point too.

Gsync won't work currently with gears, but it does on Rise of Tomb Raider.

Even if it didn't, requiring a driver update to support only shows lack of gsync isn't a uwa issue.

As for vsync the gigantic beta has an option that turns it off. So again possible, even if not optimal as it requires the dev to provide an setting.

And as sli/crossfire, let's face it. It's kinda of a hack that has issues with compatibility and performance since ever. It's not like these issues are exclusive to the store, and again uwa currently supports it even if it requires drivers updates. With dx12 that could become a moot point too.

GSync works on gears gameplay, it has an issue on the cutscenes:

https://twitter.com/PellyNV/status/704709083505397761

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
And, FYI, there are great games currently available on the Windows Store (I'm not a schill, promise...):

Carcassone
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/carcassonne/9wzdncrdfdbq

Halo: Spartan Assault
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/store/apps/Halo-Spartan-Assault/9WZDNCRFHWFH

Halo: Spartan Strike
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/halo-spartan-strike/9wzdncrfjbfj

Why wouldn't you just buy the Halo spartan assault games on steam?
As of the moment there is no benifit to having it on win10 store.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No SLI or CrossFire
VSync is Always On
GSYNC issues
Third Party Peripheral issues
Always Borderless Fullscreen Mode
No Modding
No Overlays

Well, F Windows 10 store. Won't be buying any games there just like on Uplay.

Top Bottom