• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 7 is a piece of shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burger

Wait, so Windows 7 by default just starts quitting applications to force an update install ? That's fucking retarded if true.

I don't even like my operating system telling me things, unless it's real fucking important. Windows loves to tab out of fullscreen apps to let you know some bullshit. Whoever invented those little popout balloon things that live in the system tray ? Man I'd like to punch that asshole in the face. XP was like a giant pop up.

Woffls

Ah, so these are the kinds of people that the "Are you sure?" messages are for.

Thanks for that one.

Wraith

I like how half of the board is blaming the OP. Isn't rule 1 of UX "It's not the user's fault"? If Windows is set up to auto-reboot on update then that's silly. The default should be to download automatically and then prompt the hell out of the user. The issue here isn't that the OP didn't click "Cancel". The issue is that Windows forced that cancel box to appear by attempting to close the program without warning.

glaurung

The Faceless Master said:
i find it amazing that so many people have automatic install on.

automatic download, manual install all the way!
There, thread ended. Stop complaining if you cannot configure your Windows.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Opus Angelorum said:
I'm assuming this was a thief running and the guy with sunglasses was chasing him?

You're right! :D

S. L. said:
isn't the default setting automatic download and then install during an user initiated shutting down?

That's right. But Windows also automatically installs updates although it's set at something like 3am and is supposed to inform you before it does.

El Papa

Pro tip: Save your work often, especially when working in Flash.

If you're a graphic arist you should know this, even saving multiple versions. I save my shit at least every 10-15 minutes or whenever I make a major change I plan on keeping.

Bottom line is you boned yourself for neglecting to save often.

goomba said:
Snow Leopard is worse, Iv had one random system reset when watching a movie in Quicktime and one of these :

kernelpanic.jpg

Im thinking about trying Windows 7 on my Macbook...

:lol :lol Now I don't know if you mean this because of what Snow Leopard did, or because you just want to try it out. I hope it's the latter...

MIMIC

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
i find it amazing that so many people have automatic install on.

automatic download, manual install all the way!

It's the default setting and it's recommended by the OS. How is that surprising?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Mar_ said:
People like you shouldn't work in IT. Your head is so far up your own ass you can't empathise with the non technical users. You know, the customers who are the reason you have a job in the first place.

What the fuck is this shit?

Do you want to save?

Yes?
Cancel?

Guy clicks cancel, loses works, blames OS. But he's pissed about the lost work, correct? Which would've been saved HAD HE CLICKED SAVED! He wouldn't have lost anything. It's not exactly C programming or anything when a dialog box pops ups you ASKING you if you want to save. Granted, they really ought to warn you that the system is going to shut down and you won't have another chance to save, but that's still not Win7's fault (I"m still an XP supporter myself).

giga

The default Windows Update automatically installs updates and restarts your system without notification? People are calling him out for that? That's terrible software design.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
giga said:
The default Windows Update automatically installs updates and restarts your system without notification? People are calling him out for that? That's terrible software design.

I've never had it happen to me, maybe it was switched on by accident.

Wraith

Kuro Madoushi said:

Do you want to save?

Yes?
Cancel?

Guy clicks cancel, loses works, blames OS. But he's pissed about the lost work, correct? Which would've been saved HAD HE CLICKED SAVED! He wouldn't have lost anything. It's not exactly C programming or anything when a dialog box pops ups you ASKING you if you want to save. Granted, they really ought to warn you that the system is going to shut down and you won't have another chance to save, but that's still not Win7's fault (I"m still an XP supporter myself).

It is the fault of Windows 7, 100%. The dialog box from CS3 should never have popped in the first place because the OS shouldn't be attempting to force a program to close unless it's been asked to do so. That's an OS-level problem, not a user problem.

That said, on my Win7 box I'm being prompted to postpone/restart unobtrusively in the lower right corner of my screen. I don't believe I've modified default settings. This is Win7 Ultimate, if it makes a difference. If the OP clicked the "Restart Now" button instead of "Postpone" then it's much harder to make a case in his favor.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Kuro Madoushi said:
(I"m still an XP supporter myself).

Best Windows so far (with a possible exception for Win2K, which was allround nice and stable) IMO. I've warmed up to Vista though, but it's no XP. Can't wait for Windows 7, as it looks to be what Vista should have been.

goomba

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
:lol :lol Now I don't know if you mean this because of what Snow Leopard did, or because you just want to try it out. I hope it's the latter...

It is the latter, Im just really dissapointed with Snow Leopard as I thought it was supposed to be 'tuned' Leopard.

I never had a crash or that screen with Leopard.

Ashhong

even when i had Windows Update on auto update, i dont think it ever just restarted my computer like that. it would at least prompt me to restart now or later. after alot of that it would give me like an hour to press "postpone" and then after that it finally gives me no choice and says it will restart in XXX minutes.

dont know whats up with your WU.

dalyr95

Jeez....
Windows update default:

Windows downloads updates
Windows installs updates
PC requires restart due to updates
Windows will prompt for restart
Will keep prompting
Eventually will restart after a few minutes, click to delay restart

Its not a big thing, the face OP missed the pop-up means hes at fault and when you get a save dialog who clicks "No" instead of "Cancel"???

If he saved and restarted as soon as the patches where installed. No problem

Ceres

Banned
Windows XP and Vista will occasionally force computer restarts if you have not shut down the computer in some time to install updates. Has happened to me a few times but that usually means I haven't restarted in about a month and happens in the middle of the night when I'm not using it. Both computers have auto download/install turned off.

Wraith

dalyr95 said:
Jeez....
Windows update default:

Windows downloads updates
Windows installs updates
PC requires restart due to updates
Windows will prompt for restart
Will keep prompting
Eventually will restart after a few minutes, click to delay restart

Its not a big thing, the face OP missed the pop-up means hes at fault and when you get a save dialog who clicks "No" instead of "Cancel"???

If he saved and restarted as soon as the patches where installed. No problem

No. Does no one understand good software design? The popup should be where the system stops. Until it gets a signal from you it should not force a restart whether or not it thinks it can. The lack of feedback should force it to wait longer, not automatically trigger a restart. If Win7 restarts at any time without any user input whatsoever, that is bad design.

dalyr95

Wraith said:
No. Does no one understand good software design? The popup should be where the system stops. Until it gets a signal from you it should not force a restart whether or not it thinks it can. The lack of feedback should force it to wait longer, not automatically trigger a restart. If Win7 restarts at any time without any user input whatsoever, that is bad design.
Windows waits 2 hours before prompting you to restart, how long do you need?? what if there is a critical fix for a rampaging virus on the internet and you've left your PC on downloading over the weekend? Or its left on in an office?

The fact people don't pay attention to their system tray is their own fault. Macs do the same as well, the system update icon will stay in the dock till you restart

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how long it takes before W7 forces a restart then?

I just installed 9 updates and I decided to ignore the reminders just to see what it would do. So far there's an icon in my taskbar that flashes every 10 minutes or so. It's been about half an hour now.

giga said:
it gives notification before restarting.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Why would you produce actual stuff with a beta of an operating system? Or are you using the MSDNAA version?

In any case, in a professional environment, there is a reason why you don't jump on every bandwagon.. You should have anticipated problems when you installed Windows 7 before knowing its ins and outs.

Also, you really shouldn't have to live with an hour of work lost. I know, it's too late and shit, but you should do incremental saves all the time. Now you know why people told you that somewhen.

Wraith

dalyr95 said:
Windows waits 2 hours before prompting you to restart, how long do you need?? what if there is a critical fix for a rampaging virus on the internet and you've left your PC on downloading over the weekend? Or its left on in an office?

The fact people don't pay attention to their system tray is their own fault. Macs do the same as well, the system update icon will stay in the dock till you restart

It's not a matter of need, it's a matter of design. In the case of a virus, Windows should, perhaps, prompt you that the updates are more critical. "Due to a recent issue with virus xyz, we recommend that you restart as soon as possible". Make it red, make it flash, make it big. All of these are far more acceptable than forcing a restart.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I just want to point out that XP also forces a restart. First, it asks you, then it shows a countdown you can postpone, but eventually, if you keep postponing the reboot, the countdown will be final. Dunno whether you can forcepush it with shutdown /a though, didn't try that.

I HATE it when Windows forces a restart. Just happened to me a half hour ago while I was taking a break from my essay (which I saved and it also happened to recover).

Firebrand

Kuro Madoushi said:

Do you want to save?

Yes?
Cancel?

Unless this specific app is different from most, the options are either Yes/No or Yes/No/Cancel. "Cancel" does not mean "No".

If he really did click Cancel and it still shut down it's an error on the behalf of the OS or the app, not the user - other than perhaps not saving frequently enough, before this dialog box popped up.

I'm using Vista with automatic updates and I get notifications before any reboots with the option to postpone, I assumed it would be the same in Win7?

Cheeto

I've had retail Win7 installed for about a week and have yet to have an automatic update reboot my machine.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Cheeto said:
I've had retail Win7 installed for about a week and have yet to have an automatic update reboot my machine.

Because there isn't one, until you tell Win7 it's fine to reboot now.

andycapps

neorej said:
So first you enable automatic updates in your Windows 7 installation.

Then, when you are confronted with an update, you are presented with an option to save your Flash-work. You click Cancel, Windows forces the program to close (which is a logical consequence).

And now you're on GAF blaming Windows for something you did.

Way to go man!

. Windows 7 always prompts me after it installs updates and needs to restart whether I want to restart now or be reminded in a set amount of time.

Wraith said:
It's not a matter of need, it's a matter of design. In the case of a virus, Windows should, perhaps, prompt you that the updates are more critical. "Due to a recent issue with virus xyz, we recommend that you restart as soon as possible". Make it red, make it flash, make it big. All of these are far more acceptable than forcing a restart.
so they should have Critical Updates .. and what, Super Critical? Ultra Critical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom