• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 7 is a piece of shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xabora

MisterAnderson said:
I just lost an hour of work in Flash because of some fucking Windows update. I had NO alert whatsoever of ANY update downloading, and NO pop up window of any kind asking me if I wanted to restart. Then suddenly I have a dialog box open in Flash asking me if I want to save my project and before I even know what the fuck is going on I accidentally hit cancel. Not that it would have even mattered because I watched all of my other programs give me the "chance" to save and the dialog boxes would disappear in a matter of two quick seconds barely giving me a chance to click "yes."

Also fucking pissed because I'm used to Adobe Premiere Pro's auto saving feature every so often. Apparently Flash doesn't have that shit...or I don't have it on, don't know but still. Fucking pissed.

/rant
http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/...isable-automatic-updates-windows-7-guide.html

Problem found, solution posted. :p

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
wmat said:
I like how this guy appears out of nowhere:
m9xann.gif

It's crazy!

Nah, you can see his arms in front of the dude on his phone in the original gif, you can't see it after you put that huge red box in the gif.

edit: Actually you can still see his arms before the red box appears

Slavik81

DeathNote said:
I think I turned of automatic updating cause it pissed me off when it kept popping up wanting to restart ever few minutes and I didn't want to yet.

Every-time I do the updates manually it asks me if I want to restart.While it's fun to poke fun at you, I'd personally assume it'd be the same in Vista and 7.

But, I also forgot how it acts when it set on automatic updates. I kind of vaguely remember it just shutting down by itself without me allowing, but maybe that was from some other reason.
On Windows XP there's a dialog box that will pop up every 10 minutes or so, asking you to restart now.

On Windows 7 there's a dialog box that will pop up, asking you to restart now, and that lets you choose when the message pops up again (10 minutes, 1 hour, etc).

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
This is why I turn off windows update and every other annoying windows feature. No update is that critical, I check it once a month unless I know of a big update.

dLMN8R

First of all, this behavior was introduced three years ago in Vista. It is nothing new for Windows 7.

Secondly, Microsoft has already covered the issue at length here: http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2008/10/02/windows-update-and-automatic-reboots.aspx

Windows Update automatically restarts computers at the default setting for a reason. Maybe some of you are too young (or too naive/blind to history) to remember the Blaster worm, but it happened because people didn't patch their shit.

When non-tech-savvy people don't install security updates, they make the entire ecosystem unsecure.

When updates are installed without a reboot, it can create all sorts of instability, and the computer remains just as insecure as it was before the update was installed.

Microsoft obviously has data to show that, if you don't automatically reboot someone's computer eventually, most will just postpone and postpone and postpone, never finishing the installation, never stopping their computers from potentially sending out malware once infected by a worm

You guys think it's just some sort of poor, overlooked design choice with an easy solution? Hardly. It's a deliberate decision, done for deliberate reasons, to help keep something like the XP Blaster worm debacle from ever happening again.

Oh, and if it wasn't for this behavior, Conficker would have been far more severe than it ended up being.

And no, there is never any time where Windows will instantly reboot your computer without any sort of warning. Well, unless you're on a corporate network and your system administrator set some dickish policies :lol

bigswords

OP why don't you disable the auto update and use the option to MANUALLY install the updates in windows? Isn't that the most sane thing any normal person with windows do?

*Revokes OP's window's license* Go use a Mac for fuck sake if you don't wish to read manuals.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I must be in the minority, I have never had a problem with it set to automatic updates. I don't know what the big fuss is about.

tabsina

skybaby said:
No way in hell it restarted when you hit cancel. Anyone on 7 can try this. Open notepad and type something without saving. Tell Windows to restart and hit cancel on the notepad dialog. This screen pops up instantly:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2hyjmzc.png

That is the screen I thought the OP was referring to when he said cancel caused a shut down.. I knew it came up, but I couldn't remember if the 'stop shutdown' button was cancel or not.. thanks for clarifying that as that is always the screen that comes up for me with unsaved work open - whether it be a restarting update, or regular restart

optimiss said:
Actually, in Windows 7 you don't have to make that Window active. I constantly have windows prompts popping up active on their own. It is super annoying. I am often typing an IM and when I hit enter to send the message I find I have agreed to some unknown action. This never happened to me under XP or Vista. Can anyone verify that Windows 7 handles it differently?

That happened from time to time on certain popups in XP too (I never used vista), it depends on the popup, and i'm fairly sure automatic updates weren't one of them - which (again, i'm fairly sure) is also the case for windows 7

Kagami

As a side note to this, if you have your taskbar on a secondary monitor, the reboot prompt window thing appears over there instead of on your primary monitor, so it doesn't get hidden by full-screen apps. (At least in Vista. I haven't seen the popup in 7 yet.)

I'm gonna guess that the issue here is exclusive control of the video device, blocking the reboot notification.
Starting with Windows 7, MS is trying to fix that problem. Should be part of new certification requirements I guess? I'm not quite clear on that part, but the basic info about it in relation to compatibility manifests is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd371711(VS.85).aspx
DirectDraw Lock

• Windows 7: Applications manifested for Windows 7 cannot call Lock API in DDRAW to lock the primary Desktop video buffer. Doing so will result in error, and NULL pointer for the primary will be returned. This behavior is enforced even if Desktop Window Manager Composition is not turned on. Windows 7 compatible applications must not lock the primary video buffer to render.
  • Windows Vista (default): Applications will be able to acquire a lock on the primary video buffer as legacy applications depend on this behavior. Running the application turns off Desktop Window Manager.

That's assuming this Flash app actually took exclusive control. If its full-screen mode is just the same kind of thing as hitting F11 in a web browser, then I dunno why the OP wouldn't have seen the shutdown pop-up. (Unless the reboot pop-up isn't set to be always on top? Surely not...?) EDIT: Well I'll be damned, it's not always-on-top. So, if you were working full screen (with the taskbar not visible) and it popped up and right that second you clicked on the window you were working on, you could probably hide it so fast you don't notice.

Some apps, such as MS Office programs, when they receive a shutdown signal, will save your work and reopen automatically once rebooted. But they still give you a "save or don't save?" message like the OP experienced, which can be confusing due to the time limit, as the OP also experienced. It's a compromise to deal with both shutdown-aware and non-shutdown-aware apps in situations where the user is present when not present, and to not delay shutdown too long.

The question is, should apps even prompt you to save when it gets a shutdown signal, or would it be better to just auto-save and restart with no prompt at all, to avoid mistaken button presses? That's the sort of thing that really needs an option setting on the app so the user can set as desired. (If this Flash dev program isn't even shutdown-aware at all, then it just sucks.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom