• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 7 is a piece of shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_eX

What idiot doesn't save important work regularly?

Oh wait, you.

It's your fault, it doesn't take a second to hit CTRL+S. Don't go blaming the OS when the problem is you forgetting to save.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The Faceless Master said:
so they should have Critical Updates .. and what, Super Critical? Ultra Critical?
Kind of critical, ridiculously critical, maybe critical, probably critical, critical for cat owners, critically approved.

EGM92

Little known fact about Win7, IT WILL NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER WITHOUT USER CONFIRMATION. A window WILL popup on the right hand corner and ask you to restart or postpone and give you the option of when to ask you again ie: 10min, 1hr, 4hrs. Windows again WILL NOT restart just for the hell of it. If you're using a beta/RC version of Win7 where this function wasn't full implemented it's still your own damn fault for using either version as primary OS.

Woffls

I've been running Windows 7 in one form or another for probably a year now, or however long ago it was that the first Pulic Beta was released and everyone spent ages refreshing for the key to appear. Not ONCE has Windows restarted without me telling it to. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I don't ignore what my system is telling me to do assuming it will sort itself out. From what I remember, you get warnings after 2 hours, and you choose how long to postpone it for. If you don't choose, it will restart after 5 minutes(?), probably in case you've left it on overnight. I think at the moment my system just downloads and installs updates, then when I shut down it will install them; not sure how I did it.

It's not a 'fault' in the OS design, it's just people not paying attention to what Windows tells them because they assume that if it's not relevant to what they're doing, they shouldn't need to worry. Also, you should have been saving more often, especially in Flash.

AVclub

OP I know how you feel. I asked my son to clean up the dining room table for me last night. I said, "Throw out all the crap on that table. I want it to be clean."

My son says, "Are you sure you want me to throw EVERYTHING out?" and I'm like "Yeah." So he does.

Turns out, he tossed some unpaid bills in the trash. My dining room table is a piece of shit!

/rant

/sarcasm

terithegreat

Neo Member
bluescreenoflife said:
sbh6vs.gif

Perfect response :lol

Ashhong

AVclub said:
OP I know how you feel. I asked my son to clean up the dining room table for me last night. I said, "Throw out all the crap on that table. I want it to be clean."

My son says, "Are you sure you want me to throw EVERYTHING out?" and I'm like "Yeah." So he does.

Turns out, he tossed some unpaid bills in the trash. My dining room table is a piece of shit!

/rant

/sarcasm

who doesnt do online bill payments?

totally your fault, bro

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
bluescreenoflife said:
This just may be my favorite reply in a long ass time :lol

The elongating of the quote makes is so awesome.

Undubbed

I've heard such good things about 7 that I can't wait til I get my upgrade from amazon. Would it give even Linux a run for it's money?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Undubbed said:
I've heard such good things about 7 that I can't wait til I get my upgrade from amazon. Would it give even Linux a run for it's money?
:lol :lol In the fields Linux is good at? Of course not. Ridiculous proposition.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
AVclub said:

/rant

/sarcasm

Format your son. FAT16 style.

AVclub said:

/rant

/sarcasm
i'm surprised he didn't just tie up the kitchen tablecloth and throw everything out, including the good china and salt and pepper shakers...

cbox

serves you right, you should save your work more often. What if the power went out?

SHIT OUT OF LUCK BUDDY. I have no remorse for people who don't save their work, it takes 1 second.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Anybody who spends alot of time on their PC person turns off automatic windows updates.

End of story.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Sounds like you missed all of the dialog boxes because you were working in flash full screen. It usually asks you if you want to restart now or later and has a timer or something if you wait long enough. Then when it does the restart thing it asks you if you want to save your data, you hit cancel and it started to restart.

eznark

Banned
My new fucking truck is a piece of shit. Fucking fuel gauge was on empty. I drove right by a gas station. Ten minutes later the fucking thing runs out of gas. Christ my truck fucking sucks.

The only thing I wish is that Win7 (or an OS) automagically added a Auto-Save backup option which saves a backup of the previous item as a ".bak" file. I'm not talking software-to-software, I'm talking whenever Win7 detects a "Save" or "Save As.." option, it adds a third "Save Incremental Backup" option.

Oh, how I wish.

cbox

I believe vista and 7 have something like that... previous versions or similar, I don't know how to enable/use it though.

CTLance

Windu said:
Sounds like you missed all of the dialog boxes because you were working in flash full screen.
That's what I'm thinking too. It SHOULD un-maximize the fullscreen window and bring the popup to the front, but sometimes for whatever reason that does not happen. The result is that after ten minutes plus whatever the countdown timer is the system reboots.
(It can be very annoying with old software that doesn't take kindly to being yanked out of fullscreen mode, like games....)

It should not happen. But it does. I wish the people that harp on the OP would realize this. Yes, the thread title is stupid. Yes, he hit cancel. But on the other hand he wasn't aware the stupid box was in the middle of a shutdown/reboot cycle. So please ease up a bit on the OMG WIN7 BESTEST and kick him in the balls for not saving for so long. And maybe hitting cancel. Because when your program suddenly asks you whether you'd like to save, you should suspect something is amiss.

CTLance said:
That's what I'm thinking too. It SHOULD un-maximize the fullscreen window and bring the popup to the front, but sometimes for whatever reason that does not happen. The result is that after ten minutes plus whatever the countdown timer is the system reboots.
(It can be very annoying with old software that doesn't take kindly to being yanked out of fullscreen mode, like games....)

It should not happen. But it does. I wish the people that harp on the OP would realize this. Yes, the thread title is stupid. Yes, he hit cancel. But on the other hand he wasn't aware the stupid box was in the middle of a shutdown/reboot cycle. So please ease up a bit on the OMG WIN7 BESTEST and kick him in the balls for not saving for so long. And maybe hitting cancel. Because when your program suddenly asks you whether you'd like to save, you should suspect something is amiss.
It's kicking him in the balls for not saving for an hour. If you do ANY design work, you save frequently. Anything can happen, system failure, power outage, forced updates, but it's his fault for not saving. Not the OS's fault.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Intrusive auto-update-auto-restart in windows really sucks. Windows XP is exactly the same way actually. On my old computer in the office I had no control over this (administrator set it and locked it to fully automatic) and on a few occasions, I'd leave for a lunch, only to find my computer freshly restarted. I don't think I've ever lost any work due to this, as I have a habit of saving, but even just losing all the open files can be a pain in the butt as I often had tons of open files from different network folders that I had to jump through to do the work.

On a new computer, auto update is switched off, and I initiate it manually every other week or so. Much better.

Also, it may be for the best that he clicked cancel. Windows just kills tasks when this auto update happens, even when the dialog box is left open - it just kills it all. It could have happened that he clicked Save, and the application would have been killed in the middle of saving, and he could have lost the whole thing he was working on.

MedHead

CTLance, I imagine the reason it doesn't work every time is because some software developers (like Adobe) have used different "hacks" to get their programs to work in the way they wish, which might end up giving unintended side effects when an unforeseen event occurs.

As for the update process, I use Vista, and it automatically downloads the files, but then prompts me to install them immediately or at shutdown. If I install them immediately, and a reboot is required, it presents another prompt to reboot immediately or at a later time.

But even before that, I can see the updates are downloading (and installing) because I look down at my system tray, where the update icon is displayed.

I appreciate and understand that computers shouldn't be difficult to use, but there comes a point where some personal responsibility comes into play. Not saving for an hour is one of those things, because a variety of events could have occurred that could have caused the work to be lost. Even with autosaves, I tend to manually save my work, because I want the work I just did to be saved immediately, rather than eventually. The program, power, or hardware could fail in between now and when the autosave is to occur, causing me to lose all my recent--and potentially crucial--work.

Ashhong

CTLance said:

it doesnt sound like he was in full screen. he mentioned that he thought he accidentally pressed the X button on the program, prompting the dialog box. typically dont see the X as an option if youre in full screen

Suitcase Test said:
That made me lol. :lol

Or they could, y'know, just let it be until you actually restart yourself. Why is there a time limit anyway?

This reminds me of how Microsoft handled the Danger servers regarding Sidekick. Gotta have the latest patch. Time to reboot! Oops.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wait till you use Linux ,Cancel and OK message boxes have their order inverted from Windows.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
OP doesn't follow adage of save and save often, blames operating system. News at 11.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
captive said:
OP doesn't follow adage of save and save often, blames operating system. News at 11.
Its not only that, he clicked Cancel. Its not the OS fault :/

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Wraith said:
No. Does no one understand good software design? The popup should be where the system stops. Until it gets a signal from you it should not force a restart whether or not it thinks it can. The lack of feedback should force it to wait longer, not automatically trigger a restart. If Win7 restarts at any time without any user input whatsoever, that is bad design.
Sorry but i disagree.
I control our WSUS environment where I work. If i approve updates and roll them out 75% of people ignore the updates and they just sit waiting for a reboot. So I put a deadline on the updates that will either force the user to reboot with annoying reprompts or will reboot itself if the user logs out.
Earlier this year when Conficker came out there was a patch released, I put a deadline of before i even approved that update and made it restart. Security > end users slight inconvenience of having to reboot.

Dont get me started on programmers, I walk by their computers every day and i see prompts for "restart your computer you have updates that need a reboot" prompt almost every day and they dont restart their computer.

That said if you're not in a domain environment its your responsibility to set the automatic updates to how you want it! You can turn them off, you can turn them to automatically install, you can make them download but prompt for install.
Dont claim poor design because it doesn't work exactly how you want it to work.

I think when I code I hit Ctrl+S to save it every few lines of code myself, even with auto-save on. It has just become a reflex.

In other news, Windows has never restarted for me before asking me to confirm the restart or asking me to save everything and then click "OK".

Also, its never a good idea to have auto-install updates on. Have them auto-download and install at your convenience.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hilarious thread! You are creating something on a computer and you hadn't saved in an hour or more? Furthermore you hit cancel when prompted to save or not and you are pissed at the OS for being the cause of said prompt? Why didn't you configure automatic updates?

Anyway, you are wrong. Windows 7 is pretty awesome.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Verano said:
so we can all agree that the OP is a dumbass right?
Because he wasn't saving more often, maybe.

Can we also agree that OS, after its many revisions and years of development, shouldn't be destroying our work through the design decision implemented in it?

Zefah said:
Hilarious thread! You are creating something on a computer and you hadn't saved in an hour or more? Furthermore you hit cancel when prompted to save or not and you are pissed at the OS for being the cause of said prompt?
Did you read what I said above? He's probably done well to click Cancel there, otherwise the app could have been killed in the middle of saving, his file corrupted and whole work lost. I've seen how aggressive this auto restart procedure is, it's almost funny how you can't do anything to stop it once it starts.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
goomba said:
Please show me where that EVER happens with windows 7.

Can we also agree that OS, after its many revisions and years of development, shouldn't be destroying our work through the design decision implemented in it?

Explain to me in slow detail how it destroys work through a design decision that doesn't require user permission. I must have missed the setting where it says 'fuck your shit I'm shutting down'

it gives a shutdown prompt where you must say yes, then it begins the restart procedure which every windows program has the power to cancel save or not save.

Tips:

- Ctrl+S is your friend.
- Make a habit of disabling automatic updates before you do anything else when installing Windows.

Zozz

Banned
The OP is being a troll, Win 7 has never forced an update restart for me. In fact, it waits until I shut down to do so.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
EGM92 said:
Little known fact about Win7, IT WILL NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER WITHOUT USER CONFIRMATION. A window WILL popup on the right hand corner and ask you to restart or postpone and give you the option of when to ask you again ie: 10min, 1hr, 4hrs. Windows again WILL NOT restart just for the hell of it. If you're using a beta/RC version of Win7 where this function wasn't full implemented it's still your own damn fault for using either version as primary OS.

See that's what I thought. I posted earlier asking how long it takes to force restart but nobody seemed to answer or know.

My laptop has been bugging me for hours now. I just keep ignoring it in hope that it restarts but it's won't. I'm not pressing "postpone" like a I normally would I'm just ignoring it.

edit: I'm using Windows 7 RTM so maybe that's why.

pmj

Fersis said:
Wait till you use Linux ,Cancel and OK message boxes have their order inverted from Windows.
Yeah, it sure can be confusing what GNOME apps are asking of you.
2gtoyo4.png

My only big problem with Windows 7 is that I format my disk with Acronis, and apparently, when you do that, Windows 7 will constantly corrupt the partition its on. Therefore, on my laptop, I can't write any files to anywhere, and the desktop picture goes away, until I disk check it again and then later have to go through the same process.

Otherwise, it's a pretty nice OS.

Edit:
CTLance said:
Oooooh, the age-old discussion. GNOME versus KDE.

I love how it says
Gnome button order: Apple uses it
KDE button order: The de-facto standard in computing world (i.e. Windows uses it)

I'm no Mac fan, but just because it is Windows doesn't make it de-facto. :lol Especially since Mac is older than Windows.

itxaka

Defeatist
Cheeto said:
KDE sucks. I gave it another chance with its latest release, but it's still a crashy mess.

KDE sucks balls. Gnome will suck balls as soon as they implement that stupid menu thing that takes half of your screen and makes the desktop small as fuck while you choose documents or programs to open.

Time to go with e16 or xfce

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
WickedAngel said:
What kind of programmer does an hour of work without saving intermittently?

exactly what i was thinking. back when i used to program, i would save often, and whenever i did anything major, i saved it to a new file.. in case i fucked something up and it was a bitch to undo.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
goomba said:
Snow Leopard is worse, Iv had one random system reset when watching a movie in Quicktime and one of these :

[]http://images.chron.com/blogs/techblog/archives/kernelpanic.jpg[/IMG]

Im thinking about trying Windows 7 on my Macbook...

i haven't had any issues with snow leopard. but if you want to give it a go, windows 7 runs very well on my macbook pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom