• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engadget is full of apple dickriders, I take none of their ms reviews seriously.

They just didn't get their bitchin' multi-demographic-spanning Windows Party invite from "Shaka Handsign-using Guy," and they are really, really bitter about it.

20120229-b1757y7xfs3y8ww54jahbu68a9.jpg

Someone needs to tell them to "Hang Loose, Dudes!"

Totakeke

I don't think the dual monitor situation is going to change as much. TBQH, I think having metro and desktop interface on each monitor is just fine enough.

Also...
y83Fm.png

Too bad you need formatted drives to use storage spaces, not going to pull the trigger on that just yet.

kehs

Banned
How does it run on the Atom? I found a crappy tablet with an N550 for about 260 and if Windows 8 runs okay-ish, then I'd seriously consider it. It even has a 4:3 XGA display <3

Runs pretty well, on the same level as win 7 and the preview. Don't see any issues so far.

4:3...pfft. You'd be missing out on the metro stuff though, right? Since it's just XGA?

Swag

Anyone having problems adding an e-mail account / using messenger, just stuck permanently on connecting for me

Kaladin

Ok so another problem....where do you select what drive you want to send the installation to? All it does is:

Ask to install updates
ask for product key
accept license terms
What do you want to keep in your Windows 8 Consumer Preview?
Install

I get no options for advanced settings or anything, does that come after the initial install phase? I'm also looking at Ars Technica's install guide and the steps don't look the same.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...windows-8-consumer-preview-a-visual-guide.ars

Runs pretty well, on the same level as win 7 and the preview. Don't see any issues so far.

4:3...pfft. You'd be missing out on the metro stuff though, right? Since it's just XGA?

Nope XGA runs Metro just fine, everything below that doesn't. :lol How's the hardware acceleration within Metro and the apps? Can the shitty Intel IGP handle that?

rozay

Banned
If I want to do a clean install of this and use only the UEFI bios on my x220, how would I go about changing from legacy to UEFI?

Jzero

Ok so another problem....where do you select what drive you want to send the installation to? All it does is:

Ask to install updates
ask for product key
accept license terms
What do you want to keep in your Windows 8 Consumer Preview?
Install

I get no options for advanced settings or anything, does that come after the initial install phase? I'm also looking at Ars Technica's install guide and the steps don't look the same.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...windows-8-consumer-preview-a-visual-guide.ars

You have to custom install to pick what hard drive/partition.

t-ramp

Bummer. I downloaded it during my first class at about 3.something MB/s. Installed it afterwards in about a half-hour and here I am installing other stuff.

For anyone interested, I'm on a Core 2 Duo laptop with integrated Intel graphics. Seems to handle the Metro animations fine.

kehs

Banned
Nope XGA runs Metro just fine, everything below that doesn't. :lol How's the hardware acceleration within Metro and the apps? Can the shitty Intel IGP handle that?

Ah okay, I thought XGA was lower for some reason. Everything seems smooth, seems to be keeping up, but I haven't really thrown any major at it.

Just FYI, a ton of people who work for Microsoft use dual monitors. This is well-known feedback, almost guaranteed to be addressed.

In the meantime, the shortcuts help a lot - win+C, win+Q, etc.

Thanks for that.

Now about that super awesome and exciting surprise you teased ...

Sigh... couldn't get it to work on VirtualBox... it just send me to the blue screen(Windows Recovery Environment)

Edit: Ok, played around with the setting, it works now.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Just FYI, a ton of people who work for Microsoft use dual monitors. This is well-known feedback, almost guaranteed to be addressed.

In the meantime, the shortcuts help a lot - win+C, win+Q, etc.
awesome

Bloodsent

So I mounted the x64 .iso within Windows 7 and have created a 60GB VHD. Running the install from the .iso gets me to a point where it tells me I need to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials. I still haven't been asked where to install, and I don't want it to override/upgrade my existing Windows 7 install.

So do I have to uninstall MSE temporarily and ultimately I am going to be given an option to install to the VHD, or am I doing it wrong?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Debating if I'm going to clean install later when I get home or if I'm just going to run the upgrade. Usually clean install = best install BUT maybe this time around an upgrade wouldn't be THAT bad.

dLMN8R

Thanks for that.

Now about that super awesome and exciting surprise you teased ...

All I ever said was that it's a cool feature that a ton of people asked for when using the Developer Preview in September. Already mentioned it earlier in the thread :)

c333746b-e190-4e1f-a6ec-b51cc5037b3e.jpg

Yoritomo

I don't think the dual monitor situation is going to change as much. TBQH, I think having metro and desktop interface on each monitor is just fine enough.

Also...
y83Fm.png

Too bad you need formatted drives to use storage spaces, not going to pull the trigger on that just yet.

You'd probably need 2 blank drives to start the transition. Right now I'm using FlexRaid for my 18 TB array.

I'd love to start the transition to using storage spaces now but I'm worried about any bugs that might currently exist with storage spaces and possibly driver issues with my myriad of pci-e cards

(Areca 1320 4i4x, a sil3124 based card, and some older promise card that I don't even think supports 3 tb drives.)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Mail app is pretty buggy, synced accounts and say 19 in bold but nothing appears when it's clicked.
yeah i couldn't get my gmail account to connect and now the option to connect other accounts has disappeared. Oh well, i'll just use gmail.com

I don't like it. I guess it would be great if I had a touch monitor or a tablet but I don't so... back to Windows 7 for me.

I also can't get over the loss of the Start menu. Unless, of course, there was an option to bring it back. I admit I didn't look that hard for one.

dLMN8R

The app switcher is cool. Booting 8 on an iPad 3 would be even better. :p

The problem is that there is no such thing as "The ARM version of Windows". It's "the ARM versions of Windows".

ARM is simply a spec. Apple, NVIDIA, Quallcomm, etc. all take that spec and dramatically customize the chips to meet their needs. They all require extremely specific firmware and other customizations.

It might happen through some hacks in time, but no one knows the exact design of Apple's ARM architecture, so it'll probably take a while.

I don't like it. I guess it would be great if I had a touch monitor or a tablet but I don't so... back to Windows 7 for me.

I also can't get over the loss of the Start menu. Unless, of course, there was an option to bring it back. I admit I didn't look that hard for one.

Did you look long enough to realize that the Start Screen does literally everything that the Start Menu does, as easily and quickly as the Start Menu does it, plus a lot more?

t-ramp

You could get the Start Menu back in the Developer Preview by switching a "RPEnabled" registry key or two to 0. Not sure if it still works in this version, though.

kehs

Banned
The problem is that there is no such thing as "The ARM version of Windows". It's "the ARM versions of Windows".

ARM is simply a spec. Apple, NVIDIA, Quallcomm, etc. all take that spec and dramatically customize the chips to meet their needs. They all require extremely specific firmware and other customizations.

It might happen through some hacks in time, but no one knows the exact design of Apple's ARM architecture, so it'll probably take a while.

Those this hypothetically mean you'll be able to load a build from say...a samsung tegra3 WOA to another tegra3 device?

Even though I already knew that and was referring to giga's post, I appreciate the response. It's a pretty good explanation for the lack of a WOA retail SKU.

You could get the Start Menu back in the Developer Preview by switching a "RPEnabled" registry key or two to 0. Not sure if it still works in this version, though.

I tried that but I don't think it works anymore, I'm waiting for a new tweak to come out because I need my start menu back, it was too efficient to leave behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom