• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuccCP

So for guys who have this on a laptop is there any good multitouch support at all in metro? I was really hoping they would push that and that we may finally get some good trackpads on Windows machines.

edit: lol

giga

Is there a way to always have the controls shown in Metro apps? Having to always right click just to see things like the URL bar or other commonly accessed controls in the toolbar is ridiculous.

Also, the built in PDF reader is only a barebones Metro app. Not enough desktop love.

I still don't get it.

ylZS3.png

How does this layout make any sense.

And how can I deselect twitter from the stream? I don't any twitter accounts or messages in my people hub, but I don't want to delete the account either.

maybe it will show the dialogue if someone answers to that tweet.

anyone have any luck installing this on a bootcamp partition? it seemed to hang after creating the partition and restarting to begin the installation. might be the crappy dvd i used to burn the disc, might be that i didn't download the 'windows support software'...

Somnid

I still don't get it.

ylZS3.png

How does this layout make any sense.

And how can I deselect twitter from the stream? I don't any twitter accounts or messages in my people hub, but I don't want to delete the account either.

Because that actually makes the most sense. Screens are almost always wider than they are tall so from a basic layout perspective it makes the most sense to lay things out horizontally. The issue is that PCs aren't generally equipped to cope with it. On a PC you generally navigate a scrolling layout with a scroll wheel (up-to-down) and so this comes off a bit weird to see things like this. On a tablet scrolling (swiping) left to right is actually much more intuitive and so the layout will make much more sense there and would likely be preferable to vertical.

maeh2k

I have to say I like it a lot.

In some respects I wish it were closer to Windows Phone. E.g. wrt the People and Pictures hubs. In Windows Phone those seem more deeply integrated. In the Picutres hub you can see photos of your contacts and access applications that have something to do with pictures. In the people hub the twitter/facebook stuff is nicer.

Are they planning on making more of the tiles "live"? Disappointed that Weather doesn't display weather, People is just a generic dude, etc. Only the Calendar seems to be "Live".

Kyuur

Liking the preview so far. Just having a few problems with the built-in messenger. Trying to get it to use both Facebook and MSN hasn't worked so far and when I have the messenger open open on both my laptop and desktop it goes to hell as far as trying to sign in. : / I'll figure it out though!

SmZA

Yeah, I'm liking it too. I think I will get used to the new interface pretty quickly.

One disappointment: is there seriously no Xbox controller input for the start screen? It's so obviously similar to the 360 dash and given that Valve are taking forever releasing their 'couch mode' I was really hoping to control my main computer without a mouse.

Edit: oh, and Australian users are screwed over, like always. No Xbox Live sign-in or companion support.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Are they planning on making more of the tiles "live"? Disappointed that Weather doesn't display weather, People is just a generic dude, etc. Only the Calendar seems to be "Live".

The weather will display. Does for me in Bing and Accuweather. If you pin a person to the start screen the tile is also Live.

dLMN8R

The Communication apps (messeges, mail, etc.) are still very early and buggy. They'll be heavily updated in the coming months.

They say "app preview" for a reason. They're basically as early right now as the developer preview was 5-6 months ago.

MrBig

The Communication apps (messeges, mail, etc.) are still very early and buggy. They'll be heavily updated in the coming months.

They say "app preview" for a reason. They're basically as early right now as the developer preview was 5-6 months ago.

What was the unrevealed feature you had hinted at before? I missed any discussion that may have taken place about it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm linking it quite a bit except for the slow loading on apps. A couple questions folks:

Where is Internet Explorer 10?

How do I do that cool snap-to thing where I can have two apps open side by side?

usea

Because that actually makes the most sense. Screens are almost always wider than they are tall so from a basic layout perspective it makes the most sense to lay things out horizontally. The issue is that PCs aren't generally equipped to cope with it. On a PC you generally navigate a scrolling layout with a scroll wheel (up-to-down) and so this comes off a bit weird to see things like this. On a tablet scrolling (swiping) left to right is actually much more intuitive and so the layout will make much more sense there and would likely be preferable to vertical.
So you're saying
1) for PCs content is better vertical because you can actually navigate it, so this is bad for that.
2) For tablets, you can usually navigate in either dimension, so even though tablets are vertical by default this is better because.....if you turn the tablet then it makes sense?

So it's good if you rotate the tablet, but not for tablets in a vertical position or for PCs.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm linking it quite a bit except for the slow loading on apps. A couple questions folks:

How do I do that cool snap-to thing where I can have two apps open side by side?
IE should be pinned to the startscreen, if not just search for it. And to snap just drag an app to the side, just like windows 7.

Anyone notice issues with the way Metro IE renders pages/text? Check out theverge.com to see what I mean.
yeah Gaf is messed up in it. Anyway, pre-release software, so its to be expected.

dLMN8R

What was the unrevealed feature you had hinted at before? I missed any discussion that may have taken place about it.

Just the task switcher thingy on the left hand side.

Internet Explorer 10 is the only IE on Windows 8, whether you're using it on the desktop or metro.

To snap the metro version, simply pull down from the top and drag over to the side to snap it there. Same with any metro app - you can even do it from the Desktop.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
IE should be pinned to the startscreen, if not just search for it. And to snap just drag an app to the side, just like windows 7.

The IE that's pinned for me takes me to the desktop, where's Metro IE? Also, I can't do the snap-to, no matter how much I try. Is that only for specific apps that allow the side-by-side metro app thing?

Weather for me has been live. First it had to get my location in the map app first.

dLMN8R

The IE that's pinned for me takes me to the desktop, where's Metro IE? Also, I can't do the snap-to, no matter how much I try. Is that only for specific apps that allow the side-by-side metro app thing?

What resolution is your machine running at? If it's less than 1366x768, you can't do Snap on it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/20/optimizing-for-both-landscape-and-portrait.aspx

I think the browser Desktop thing has something to do with what you set your default browser to. There should be an option in IE to change it:

6yovz.png

rozay

Banned
What resolution is your machine running at? If it's less than 1366x768, you can't do Snap on it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/20/optimizing-for-both-landscape-and-portrait.aspx

I think the browser Desktop thing has something to do with what you set your default browser to. There should be an option in IE to change it:

6yovz.png
I lost metro IE after making firefox the default. Slightly irritated since I can't seem to fix it.

Also, didn't somebody mention MSE comes with windows 8 now? Where do I find it?

Gattsu25

Banned
ok...so..

Is anyone else not able to begin downloading this thing?

Also, is there a step by step guide to safely installing this to a VirtualBox VM?

jagowar

I have a different windows live main ID and xbox live ID

you can change it pretty easily on the xbox… its in your account profile section.

I have two Hotmail addresses (1 linked to my Xbox account) and my Gmail (which I'm using to log in). This isn't what I'd call friendly.

You could have set your gmail as your windows live id... you will find it works best to do what I did a year ago. Setup one primary live id and use that for everything ms related. You can change the id your xbox is tied to easily and if you want to read the email in those accounts have that live id pull all email from the others.

MrBig

Having some trouble with browsers and links.
When opening links from a program like an IRC client it will open to IE instead of FFX or Chrome, which I have tried setting both to default with no change.

I'm also getting some terrible visual glitches with Firefox's chrome in W8. I have aero transparency disable as I normally do and it still does it. There's also a problem with the icon on the taskbar. It might have been a bad install, but has anyone else had this problem?
This among other things:
40JES.jpg

clav

Just installed it.

I like it.

Metro IE responds to keyboard shortcuts.

Scrolling seems to be chunky.

Is there a way to set the default zoom % for Metro IE?

Also, how do I remove a city in the weather app?

giga

Here is what I was talking about in the building w8 thread, about third party browsers and the store.

In Windows Consumer Preview, a web browser may be built as a Metro style app, a desktop app, or a Metro style enabled desktop browser.

- Metro style app. A Metro style app adheres to the principles of the new app model– it runs in an App Container, uses APIs found in the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Metro style apps, is packaged as an .appx file, and is made available via the Windows Store.
- Desktop browsers. Same model as Windows 7.
- Metro style enabled desktop browser. A desktop browser that chooses to participate in the new Metro style experience when the user has expressed preference for the browser to do so. Such a browser can provide HTML5 rendering for webpages and service HTTP / HTTPS requests. By definition, such a browser has full access to Win32 APIs for rendering HTML5, including the ability to use multiple background processes, JIT compiling, and other distinctly browser-related functionality (like background downloading of files). Desktop browsers typically run at medium or low integrity level.
Mozilla will definitely be using that last option. It'll be distributed through existing means and not the store, because it won't be limited to the metro style sdk/winrt. Good luck to WOA.

A Metro style enabled desktop browser may participate in the Metro style user experience only if it is the default browser. Desktop apps (typically packaged as .MSI, medium integrity level) run in the desktop. Metro style apps (.appx packaged, run in App Containers, API set restricted to the Windows SDK for Metro style apps, acquired via the Windows Store) run in the Metro style experience. A Metro style enabled desktop browser can be thought of as a desktop browser that can also participate in the new Metro style experience. The restriction to limit Metro style user experience participation to the user’s default browser is rooted in preserving the Metro style user experience. Note that this limitation applies to all browsers, including Internet Explorer.

-Metro style enabled desktop browsers may be distributed via existing channels, for example, web download, network share, OEM pre-install, or systems management software.
-Metro style enabled desktop browsers may be deployed via existing desktop app deployment methods, for example, MSI packaged, Click-Once installer, or .ZIP archive extraction with file copy.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465413

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I lost metro IE after making firefox the default. Slightly irritated since I can't seem to fix it.

They removed the frickin' "make IE the default browser" button. Bunch of idiots, if you're requiring that IE be the default to enable Metro IE, then you have to make the process obvious. And my 1280 x 800 screen can't do side-by-side. Ugh.

It's weird, I was sorta iffy before about Windows 8 and the way it all ties together... but I just got back from class and I was giddy to use it, everything seemed fluid. I think that tomorrow a lot of people will have different opinions on the CP. Coming back to see all your emails, messages, appointments, and everything being fluid to use (for me at least), this seems like it could be a winner. Just a few tweaks necessary.

I've been using Windows since 3.1 was released, but this one takes the fucking cake. I'm going to stick with Windows 7 for my gaming machine and get a Mac Mini for general computing.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the xbox intergration is pretty neat, looks like you can launch games, stream video etc.. from your pc and you can also launch a virtual controller (for tablets use probably).

Okay, so I have it, but I need to install it. I don't have the space on my C drive, and want to install it on my external TB hard drive, but it said I can't do that? Is there any way around this?

rozay

Banned
This is also probably a dumb question, but you can't snap into 50/50 on metro apps? Only 1/4-3/4 and 3/4-1/4? Any keyboard shortcut for metro app snapping?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I never figured out how to make IE the default browser through its settings, but I went to the People app and something in the notifications settings asked me if I wanted to make IE the default browser for links and that enabled Metro IE. So check there if any of you is having trouble making IE the default browser.

I never figured out how to make IE the default browser through its settings, but I went to the People app and something in the notifications settings asked me if I wanted to make IE the default browser for links and that enabled Metro IE. So check there if any of you is having trouble making IE the default browser.

If you type "default" in Start, you should get a Default Programs option (it's a classic app). You can use that to set all program defaults. To use Metro IE, you'll want to make sure that IE has your browser defaults.

Xyber

So, how do I get my music to show up in the Music app? Or pictures too for that matter. I have stuff in both of these folders so I don't see where the problem is..

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Put it on my laptop too. It was cool that some things like sites I pinned on my desktop transferred to my laptop.

RdN

Really liking it so far.

Still confused about the Messaging app, it's kinda strange.

I'll now read this thread and find useful tips, hahaha.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I generally like it. Metro when done right looks way better than 7/Vista/XP. Start screen, welcome screen, windows update, etc make 7 look as old as XP. At first ribbon on desktop is "goddammit, I'm old and refuse to change" but it actually makes sense and has a short learning curve. Putting Control Panel in My Computer makes sense.

Some minor annoyances:
1. I go out of my way to put My Computer on desktop so I can open multiple instances of network paths or directories. I used to do this with network paths using the start menu text box, which doesn't exist with the metro start screen.
2. Rebooting, windows update, etc seem buried, which makes sense for the general public but not for power users.
3. Recycle bin has ribbon...why? I just want to empty or restore.
4. hiberfil.sys is massive. Has it always been nearly as large as your RAM?

I like it enough to use it in my next PC built, definitely with a tablet/touchLaptop, but not enough to upgrade 7 PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom