• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

jagowar

No, it isn't. The concerns presented by other developers aren't about what it is NOW, but what it could become in the future.

Some developers see it as the beginning of a march towards a more walled garden in Windows. This guy either doesn't see that as a future possibility down the road, or isn't answering the question in that context. The question itself is no less valid because this guy isn't concerned.

I don't see that as a bad thing per se.... for the security/sandboxing alone. That said its pretty obvious that is not their chief complaint.... they are deathly afraid the store takes steam marketshare. They like taking the % off the top vs. giving it to ms.

Also completely unrelated.... hulu announced their app and put up a video to go with it. Overall looks like its going to be very good. http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/22/3539418/hulu-plus-app-windows-8-available-sony-acer-tablets

Installed Windows 8 RTM onto my Macbook Pro (2011), joined the domain and linked my LIVE ID to my domain account. Dual monitor setup, on one side Windows 8 apps, on the other desktop apps. My Surface tablet should be here in a week as well.

Life is good.

Installed Windows 8 RTM onto my Macbook Pro (2011), joined the domain and linked my LIVE ID to my domain account. Dual monitor setup, on one side Windows 8 apps, on the other desktop apps. My Surface tablet should be here in a week as well.

Life is good.

What kind of domain controller did you join? Did you use VPN? One of my worst experiences with Windows 7 was trying to get a working vpn client for a bleeding edge OS. Security software companies are by far the slowest to change at the enterprise level. I had to install Windows XP (32-bit) into a VM and then use that to connect to our company VPN and then use the remote desktop client on that to access the corporate servers :( It took almost a full year after release before we got a working client in 32 bit windows 7; our company switched to another vpn backend before they ever got the 64 bit version out.

Joined a 2k3 DC, mixed mode environment with some 2k8 DC's as well. Looking into getting a Cisco VPN client (the beauty of Mac OSX was that it was built in).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of domain controller did you join? Did you use VPN? One of my worst experiences with Windows 7 was trying to get a working vpn client for a bleeding edge OS. Security software companies are by far the slowest to change at the enterprise level. I had to install Windows XP (32-bit) into a VM and then use that to connect to our company VPN and then use the remote desktop client on that to access the corporate servers :( It took almost a full year after release before we got a working client in 32 bit windows 7; our company switched to another vpn backend before they ever got the 64 bit version out.
What were you using. Cisco any connect works fine but there is an easy reg fix you have to do.

Been running a domain joined win 8 box for months in my test lab, haven't looked into group policies yet though

Enco

Remove entirely? No. Move away from as much as possible / add much incentive to use the metro / MS Store side of things? Yes (is my opinion).
They'll push the app store, sure. Nothing wrong with that. Apple does that and everyone loves it.

As long as they don't limit the current open system, everything is fine.

Read the above comment. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43474439&postcount=544

Go to gaming side and read some of the many articles providing commentary from developers.
Yea everyone is just predicting things.

"I really hate the general concept of 'closing down' Windows, and this seems to be where Microsoft [is] intending to go," he said.

"Nothing scares me more than the thought that one day, all Windows apps may have to be certified by Microsoft before they can be released and installed on users computers," he continued.
The day Microsoft stop people from downloading programs normally is the day computing will die (to a huge extent). Computers are all about being open and download whatever you want. Closing it off would be one of the stupidest mistakes any company could ever make.

I don't think even MS would be that moronic. Such silly fear mongering.

Joined a 2k3 DC, mixed mode environment with some 2k8 DC's as well. Looking into getting a Cisco VPN client (the beauty of Mac OSX was that it was built in).

That's awesome that you joined a much older DC with no hassle :)

Unfortunately, pee-ons like me have no say in what VPN backend is used. Cisco is one of many and they're typically not compatible with one another :( Fortunately though, I no longer work there and don't have to deal with that mess :)

What were you using. Cisco any connect works fine but there is an easy reg fix you have to do.

Been running a domain joined win 8 box for months in my test lab, haven't looked into group policies yet though

I'm fuzzy on it since it was about 3 years ago but it was definitely either Checkpoint or Alcatel based.

kitch9

Banned
Nobody asked for this. Why do I want anything to do with Xbox on my computer? Why do I want a primarily touch interface on a desktop? Why do I want a phone UI on my desktop?

I disagree.

Like Windows 7!

Frustration

Works okay in 7 for me.

I think the confusion surrounding RT is going to be most fun to spectate. MS reps unable to properly communicate the difference, customers expecting to be able to run their favourite windows desktop apps on their new tablet. Well done microsoft.

You do realise around every new OS release there's head bangers waffling on about why do we have to change, posting shite like "lolz, old OS runs me programs innit." Its like some kind of OCD mindfuck they can't let go of.

You are one of them.....

MS is launching a new Ecosystem. They need an OS that in time users will easily recognise across all their devices, where switching from their phone, to their tablet, to their PC provides a consistent experience. They need a bigger picture.

To achieve that they need to re-wire our brains when it comes to the PC, and they've got start somewhere....

Might as well be now.

buhdeh

Great, ever since I connected my Facebook account to Windows 8 I get non-stop spam from Hotmail calendar about birthdays now. Never opted in for this crap, and as far as I know, I've disabled every notification setting. I'm about to delete every calendar in there and just never open it again. Now I remember why I never bothered looking at Windows Phone - Hotmail, Bing, Live is just so bad.

So you really expect that Microsoft would completely eliminate one of their biggest advantages?

If anyone were going to do it, it would have been Apple but the Mac remains open to software outside of the App Store.

Yes, I expect Microsoft is prepared to do something as daft as removing their biggest advantages if they thought it would increase the chance of getting dat iPad money. Also, AFAIK by default Apple already blocks software not installed via the Mac App Store. Granted, it's a simple check box to fix it, but still.

f0lken

Great, ever since I connected my Facebook account to Windows 8 I get non-stop spam from Hotmail calendar about birthdays now. Never opted in for this crap, and as far as I know, I've disabled every notification setting. I'm about to delete every calendar in there and just never open it again. Now I remember why I never bothered looking at Windows Phone - Hotmail, Bing, Live is just so bad.

Whu would you disable all notifications from Windows 8 instead of going to facebook and disable the mails for birthdays?

I get the same thing on iPhone with Facebook integration.

ugh, it wont let me use a different Xbox live address than the one im using for the main OS :(, this seriously sucks :(

I guess I cant use any of the Live apps like Xbox, music, videos, etc :(

buhdeh

Whu would you disable all notifications from Windows 8 instead of going to facebook and disable the mails for birthdays?

The emails are coming from Hotmail Calendar, not Facebook itself. Unless connecting my Facebook account to my Windows 8 Live account enabled something in Facebook...

ugh, it wont let me use a different Xbox live address than the one im using for the main OS :(, this seriously sucks :(

I believe you can merge the accounts using this: https://account.live.com/managelinks.aspx

Sign in with what you want your main ID to be, and then link all of your secondary accounts. From then on, just log in with only your main ID. Hope this helps!

Enco

I remember I couldn't access any stores because my live account was set to the US instead of the UK.

No way you could change it as far as I'm aware. Going to have to delete the useless stuff from my start page.

PG2G

Yeah, should be easy enough to do in the Calendar settings on the web. I do agree that this should probably be implemented in the app, but they are pretty early

Jzero

Yeah, should be easy enough to do in the Calendar settings on the web. I do agree that this should probably be implemented in the app, but they are pretty early
It definitely should be integrated and they better update this at some point.

Why don't you just use the one linked to your Xbox id?

Because its a toy account I use for gaming, not for my work Operating System, also, I have tons of cheevos in it and I want to use the Xbox companion app :(

Will try merging via the links, thanks guys, im just worried that doing that will break all my Games For Windows Live games, hopefully not.

Exuro

Because its a toy account I use for gaming, not for my work Operating System, also, I have tons of cheevos in it and I want to use the Xbox companion app :(

Will try merging via the links, thanks guys, im just worried that doing that will break all my Games For Windows Live games, hopefully not.
Let me know how that goes. I wanted to just move the gamertag over but windows 8 decided to just give me a random gamertag on my account so I have to wait a month to get it situated.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bill Gates talking windows 8 etc.. It is mostly just PR talk but its nice to hear him talk technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFDTN25qip8&feature=player_embedded
How do you do an internet search that will give you the link of a Store app again?
site:apps.microsoft.com

you can also use the share charm if you have the application or are on the store page (I think) and copy the link. Install Clipboard http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/clipboard/d12111fe-bfa8-4050-96c1-c6571e1f3230 to make it easier, I think when sharing it only the mail and some other application talk to it. But clipboard allows you to easily share it on the web.

domlolz

Banned
You do realise around every new OS release there's head bangers waffling on about why do we have to change, posting shite like "lolz, old OS runs me programs innit." Its like some kind of OCD mindfuck they can't let go of.

You are one of them.....

MS is launching a new Ecosystem. They need an OS that in time users will easily recognise across all their devices, where switching from their phone, to their tablet, to their PC provides a consistent experience. They need a bigger picture.

To achieve that they need to re-wire our brains when it comes to the PC, and they've got start somewhere....

Might as well be now.

Cool. Thanks for this. It's a lot to think about and then I remember Windows 8 is bad and I don't care about your rude words to me.

I also don't care about convergence shite. Like anyone is going to buy windows tablets/phones anyway.

The reaction to 8 by manufacturers is pretty telling.

If 8 is the failure many expect it to be, like Vista, lets hope 9 they actually put some effort into or maybe separate versions for touch/non touch computers. If not, I guess I can go OS X.

@kitch9

Dude! You need to apologize like NOW! People are threatening to leave the platform because of you!

OH GOD! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

= = = = = =

I'm really sorry everyone... he doesn't speak for all of us :( Please be sensible about this and stay. We can work this out so just back away from Shutdown button (in case you've found it) and think about this reasonably. Plenty of people are making software for those who don't want metro to live their lives without it. There's no reason for you to stop giving MS your money so please upgrade and pay only $5 to get a nifty Start Menu that works better than anything MS could have made. They even have options to make it so you'll never see the start screne ever again so you can win. Let's all be friends again ok?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Cool. Thanks for this. It's a lot to think about and then I remember Windows 8 is bad and I don't care about your rude words to me.

I also don't care about convergence shite. Like anyone is going to buy windows tablets/phones anyway.

If 8 is the failure many expect it to be, like Vista, lets hope 9 they actually put some effort into or maybe separate versions for touch/non touch computers. If not, I guess I can go OS X.

And what reaction is that? Make lots of products for launch?

SPDIF

I think you'll be surprised. By the tablets at least.

And what reaction is that? Make lots of products for launch?

He's probably talking about the one where the OEM didn't want competition for their lackluster hardware.

It could be the one where the chip-maker "allegedly" said MS was releasing Windows 8 to early [because their chips wouldn't be ready to ship with the launch - makes sense :-/].

It could be the soon-to-be OEM but now current software entertainment distribution plaform owner who was able to identify Windows 8 as a disaster [for his business model].

...the list goes on.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
seriously isn't this exactly the kind of trolling and shitting up a thread thats ban worthy?

Its OS wars so its expected I guess

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
seriously isn't this exactly the kind of trolling and shitting up a thread thats ban worthy?

Its OS wars so its expected I guess

It shouldn't be expected. I don't go into Apple threads just to tell people I don't want to use a Mac.

It's if there's a Halo thread someone will inevitably enter the thread just to tell people they don't like Halo and won't play it. Great?

Jzero

It shouldn't be expected. I don't go into Apple threads just to tell people I don't want to use a Mac.

It's if there's a Halo thread someone will inevitably enter the thread just to tell people they don't like Halo and won't play it. Great?

Some men just want to see the world burn. I mean i don't really like OS X but i don't go in the thread and start shit in there, i actually want to learn what's new.

Top Bottom