• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Troll

Banned
I'll post when I get the email. I haven't decided if I'll give away three or two, Brotkasten, you can trade me for the Zune passes ;-)

Jzero

ok ok no more asking. When I get then I'll let you know.

:p

You should keep two just in case you decide to build a separate computer at some point.

Also you should give them to people that actually really want them, make them prove it!

Did you guys know this (MS compatibility site: seems to be crowd-sourced) existed? I had no idea O_O

Used it to lookup Wacom Cature Tablet I saw on Newegg.

That's a little bogus... My printer (canon ip4600) is marked as compatible, but it isn't (No automatic driver, and when i try to install the driver for Win7 it says it doesn't recognize the printer and won't install)... I managed to get it working by manually installing a similar printer driver, but i can even enable all options my printer supports (Some paper sizes are missing, no reverse order printing, no duplex printing, and no grouping copies together)... I can print basic stuff, but wouldn't call that as compatible...

Specially because it's marked as no action required which definitely wasn't the case.

Ëdit: Though, on both developer and consumer preview it did worked just by plugging it in... I didn't tried Release Preview, jumped straight to RTM...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
just got some updates for the music and games applications.

these seem like the biggest changes at first glance. Windows Game Section is different and the now playing section is different.
TReXQ.png

Qacf8.png

just got some updates for the music and games applications.

these seem like the biggest changes at first glance. Windows Game Section is different and the now playing section is different.

Damn just got hit with 6 updates: MetroTwit, Music, Games, Smartglass, Wordament, and Netflix.

My touchpad on my laptop randomly doesn't work for some apps (doesn't work in Metrotwit or Onenote MX). Anyone else have this issue?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded the TSN app. It's pretty sweet. Really like the ticker.

Edit: love the little improvements to Xbox Music as well.

Jzero

Damn just got hit with 6 updates: MetroTwit, Music, Games, Smartglass, Wordament, and Netflix.

My touchpad on my laptop randomly doesn't work for some apps (doesn't work in Metrotwit or Onenote MX). Anyone else have this issue?

Did it happen after updating the apps?

Does your touchpad not work at all? I've found that two-finger scrolling usually doesn't work in Metro apps.

Works fine in everything by those specific apps. I had to install a driver manually for the touchpad though, the touchpad didn't work with just drivers provided by Windows Update.

Quick

Banned
Just stumbled onto this, but if you're at the Start Screen, and you begin to type to search, the search pane appears automatically.

Jzero

Just stumbled onto this, but if you're at the Start Screen, and you begin to type to search, the search pane appears automatically.

Dude that's like one of the most essential things to know. It also works in the store.

Edit: weird i thought i mentioned it in the OP. I'll add it later.

Quick

Banned
Dude that's like one of the most essential things to know. It also works in the store.

Edit: weird i thought i mentioned it in the OP. I'll add it later.

Ha!

Knowing that now, it is essential to know.

EDIT: I should add that, yes, I knew this for Windows 7 and Vista, but I didn't know they kept it for Windows 8 for the Start Screen.

jagowar

The new music app is actually really good... but I did have one odd thing happen. About 200 new albums showed up in my collection (that I used to have and it seems to be increasing) but when I started win8 I decided to clear it out and start from scratch so there was nothing there initially. Guess it already had matched some stuff from the zune client.

Quick

Banned
Had a funny issue come up (easily resolved): I uninstalled the Music app to attempt solving an issue (album art not coming up), and when I went to the app page on the Store, it said:

"Sorry, this app can't be installed because your PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements."

I went to My Apps and re-installed it from there.

The new music app is actually really good... but I did have one odd thing happen. About 200 new albums showed up in my collection (that I used to have and it seems to be increasing) but when I started win8 I decided to clear it out and start from scratch so there was nothing there initially. Guess it already had matched some stuff from the zune client.

Been streaming some albums for the last few hours (for free), very nice. It all works pretty well. The UI could still use some work, I'm still not a fan of the now playing functions being in the app bar, and it's looks pretty bland in general, but the functionality is pretty solid.

One thing that's nice is it uses less CPU to play music than any other music client I've used before (including Zune).

Windu

hrm, I was hoping to be able to control my windows 8 pc from phone/tablet.
I don't think they want you using your windows 8 pc as a HTPC, they want you to buy an xbox. Anyway, there are plenty of applications to control your PC on iOS and Andriod. Hippo Remote Pro is good on iOS. (also you can always use XBMC on your PC, there are plenty of XBMC remote applications on phones and tablets).

Jzero

I like the new music app. Who knows, i may even stop using Spotify because of it.
Hopefully they add lyrics like Spotify.

I love that i can dock it to the side and pick songs and everything.

Windu

the music streaming feature seems to be working in the music app now. listening to full songs without a sub. (click smart dj)

moowear

the music streaming feature seems to be working in the music app now. listening to full songs without a sub. (click smart dj)

Are you able to stream music from your personal library or does the music need to come from the Xbox music store?

Wiktor

I don't think they want you using your windows 8 pc as a HTPC, they want you to buy an xbox.

Yeah, leave it to MS to take a great idea and shoot it in the foot just because they're scared of blurring the lines between divisions

Smartglass actually makes me want to go back to xbox again. But only next gen, I don't see a reason to re-enter xbox in the end of its life-cycle. Smartglass rubs the right gimmick-loving areas of my brain

Smartglass actually makes me want to go back to xbox again. But only next gen, I don't see a reason to re-enter xbox in the end of its life-cycle. Smartglass rubs the right gimmick-loving areas of my brain

I think it's neat and if I still had an Xbox, I'd probably use it, but it's nothing that makes me want to buy an Xbox. The presentation is nice, but doesn't beat XBMC in terms of functionality and XBMC Commander for iPad is just too good.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I really like where they are going.

I'm a plex user though, so it's gonna be a hard sell. But I respect them for trying. I have a feeling they will continue to ignore the 'it plays all formats' godliness of xbmc/plex with the next xbox release though and try and force everyone into paid streaming for everything, which means they will continue to fail to grab the techie nerd section of the market completely for media playback.

I really like where they are going.

I'm a plex user though, so it's gonna be a hard sell. But I respect them for trying. I have a feeling they will continue to ignore the 'it plays all formats' godliness of xbmc/plex with the next xbox release though and try and force everyone into paid streaming for everything, which means they will continue to fail to grab the techie nerd section of the market completely for media playback.

I'd like them to make Xbox Live Gold a Microsoft wide feature. Maybe a tiered system that includes the standard xbox services but then a higher grade that includes xbox music streaming and then one with netflix like movie streaming.

With that they could get users to stay in their ecosystem and it would improve the value and name of live gold greatly

I'd like them to make Xbox Live Gold a Microsoft wide feature. Maybe a tiered system that includes the standard xbox services but then a higher grade that includes xbox music streaming and then one with netflix like movie streaming.

With that they could get users to stay in their ecosystem and it would improve the value and name of live gold greatly

I can't help but feel that'll result in non-Xbox users getting pissed off more than anything else.

Top Bottom