• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central on US December NPD: PS4 sold 1,568,000 (238K Pro), XB1 sold 1,511,000

Announcing Scorpio at E3 really ate into those XB1S sales

1NrFit6.gif

Enjoy it while it last Microsoft, that Scalebound flak is gonna be vicious.

Surprised how close it actually was between Xbone and PS4. Then again MS did have so many bundled and deals. My brother got an Xbox One S bundle via Target for like $212 after being savvy and used his red card and used the checklist promo.

Though Pro would have a bigger share of the total number of units sold as well. Folks are cheap as shit tho, I think Pro is for the enthusiast folks like us.

Interfectum

The thing that sticks out to me though is that last generation, people were overwhelmingly skewing toward the larger hard drive (or in the 360's case, present hard drive) early in the generation, and that was also a big price difference.

I can get why that might seem more compelling than the hardware upgrades though.

~$200 price difference though?

DocSeuss

I'm kind of surprised at how low the Pro ratio is. Was the thing not widely available, or were people just uninterested?

Neither developers nor consumers seem that interested in the Pro. It's the most expensive console out there right now, yeah?

The thing that sticks out to me though is that last generation, people were overwhelmingly skewing toward the larger hard drive (or in the 360's case, present hard drive) early in the generation, and that was also a big price difference.

I can get why that might seem more compelling than the hardware upgrades though.

That was before the market crash. Americans are value conscious now.

Kill3r7

Supply has been plentiful. The value argument is poor. People want the capability to play games over the premium experience. If that trend holds the Switch should do very well.

Except the Switch is more expensive than both slim models of the HD twins and certainly will be more expensive than both of them during the 2017 holiday season.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I think this gen it's become hard to sell console hardware without a game bundled. Such a large percentage of console sales have been with games included that I think it's an expectation now. Pro being $150 more and not having a game made it a tough sell to the deal focused holiday shoppers.

FX-GMC

I said this in the other thread that why would a Microsoft website release numbers from it's competitor? That's a first that I've seen. It's almost like they were proud of being this close.

I think its mobile nations who also run android central, imore, etc. Not a Microsoft (as in owned by) site.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by the pro numbers. Myself and even our npd gent mat were commenting on this being not at all the season where you'd expect it to sell. It's almost amusing to see, really. Fits well within my expectations.
The season? Proportionally, I agree, but I doubt it shifts more actual units in other seasons.

Yes but we are talking about Xmas time.
The Pro cost $150 more it also did not have any bundles .
Plus this gen has train people for bundles .

Unknown?

Because those lower models were extremely gimped, it wasn't just a smaller HDD. It's not like the PS4 Slim lacks a HDD(like 360) or lacks wifi(PS3) and other features.

So as of November PS4 was ahead by 1.6M in America and now it's 1.65M. Only a matter of time till it's ahead by 2M.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
MS gotta be sweating that Scorpio investment right now.

Hopefully the value proposition is more, but the incremental change may not be what people want. Especially since the S already is selling itself as a 4K box.

cakely

Wow, those were really close results for December.

Xbox ONE S showing Sony how a slim should be done. Well done Microsoft

Yes, well done Microsoft. Second place in for December NPD was fantastic, I can't think of a single position they'd rather be in.

Except for the fact it costs more, yes, I'm sure this will pan out.

Right now is for Nintendo die hards. By Christmas you'll see $250 deals I'm sure. When you get similar games for each and one is portable and the other is not arguments like frame rate and resolution are less important.

People want the capability to play games over the premium experience.

Someone forgot to tell Nintendo that for the first six months.

The "console games portable" shtick is old and it didn't work before, won't work this time.

Switch will sell because of Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter.

I think it was a huge mistake for the Pro not to have a UHD player. I'm sure the One S took some of those sales away.

There is barely any 4k content and UHD is new and niche, that has barely any bearing on these sales, can;t believe people think it matters much at all.

Wasn't the $499 PS3 very understocked?

And 360 Arcade completely gimped without a hard-drive

Korigama

Not seeing how the Pro's sales being low comes as a surprise. $400 w/no game vs. $250 w/a game during the holiday season, with improvements to hardware specs that only enthusiasts actually care about rather than the average consumer and a 4K TV necessary to make the most of said improvements, which still aren't as widespread in adoption as standard 720p/1080p HD sets...none of this amounted to things being in the Pro's favor. And yes, it does seem to be a preview of what the level of interest in something like Scorpio would be for most potential customers.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It'll snag 5-10% of all PS4 sales until eventually Sony shifts it to the default PS4 through price drops.

People wont take too kindly to the cheaper and less expensive option being phased out in favor of a hotter more expensive version.

Sony will only be able to do what you say if they move the Pro to a lower process node, which is not happening anytime soon, its already on 16nm

jdmonmou

I don't think Sony is very happy with those Pro numbers from a return on investment perspective. I hope they realize next gen that they don't need a mid-gen upgrade.

BigEmil

Suprising to see Xbox One sell with hardly any exclusives in bound
Id guess the ones who bought it thought Xbox One S does 4k gaming and such just like i seen many people say that their XB1S can do which MS tries to market

bitbydeath

I'm not convinced of that. There are a lot of lessons MS can learn from the PRO to have a better result.

Ditching XB1 and making games Scorpio exclusive would be their best bet, the majority of people don't care for 4K and will otherwise always pick the cheaper unit especially since you'll need a 4K TV to see any big differences.

Have a better marketing message and games that actually showcase it effectively for one. Also don't have a bunch of other hardware releases taking the spotlight off of it.

What better marketing message? Sony's was accurate, scorpio will be the same. Sony had plenty of games, we are getting to diminishing returns here

Cipherr

Consoles both look healthy. Im not excited by either edging either out anymore, but its good to see that the market is supporting both of them in a healthy way.

notaskwid

Because those lower models were extremely gimped, it wasn't just a smaller HDD. It's not like the PS4 Slim lacks a HDD(like 360) or lacks wifi(PS3) and other features.

So as of November PS4 was ahead by 1.6M in America and now it's 1.65M. Only a matter of time till it's ahead by 2M.
It was the 360 that had no wifi, every ps3 had wifi.

MS gotta be sweating that Scorpio investment right now.

Hopefully the value proposition is more, but the incremental change may not be what people want. Especially since the S already is selling itself as a 4K box.

The scorpio isnt going to turn things around but at least it has a selling point. Its a premium console.

The pro is advertised for 4k tv owners but it doesnt do 4k gaming and it doesnt do 4k blu ray, the slim is 100 dollars cheaper. This is an easy decision for consumers, sony was afraid to go over $399 and it basically made the pro irrelevant.

The marketing for Scorpio i think is going to be huge. For example i have no doubt Microsoft is going to make sure every NFL fan knows Scorpio is THE MOST POWERFULL CONSOLE IN GAMING HISTORY for madden from August - December 2017 over and over and over again during every commercial break. Might even make Bill Belichick use it on the sidelines

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Scorpio will be an even harder sell then pro, as x1 Slim already supports 4k video.
I'm intrigued to see how Scorpio does. I could see a lot more early adopters upgrading to it due to the standard XBOs power but I could also see a slow start due to so many upgrading or jumping in with the S in 2016.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Nirolak said:
people were overwhelmingly skewing toward the larger hard drive (or in the 360's case, present hard drive) early in the generation, and that was also a big price difference.
What I recall was gimped low-end SKUs early on, and intentional under-shipping (especially obvious during PS3 launch). Wasn't "Tard-pack" coined on Gaf somewhere specifically for those cheaper SKUs?
Later on in generation, high-end SKUs were the lower selling ones consistently.

People wont take too kindly to the cheaper and less expensive option being phased out in favor of a hotter more expensive version.

Sony will only be able to do what you say if they move the Pro to a lower process node, which is not happening anytime soon, its already on 16nm

Yep i only see this happening when PS5 comes out if they can't lower the Slim price any more.

People surprised at Pro's numbers will be even more surprised at Scorpio's.

I think Scorpio is actually going to do quite well. I think a lot of OG XB1 owners, such as myself, are going to be day-one buyers. I would say at least 90% of people on my XBL friends list (who also bought XB1 day-1) have said they're on-board with Scorpio day-1.

Like what? Sell the hardware at a loss?

It would'nt surprise me in the least if MS took a small loss on each unit. They can afford it. As I've said in the past..."It ain't how many razors you sell...It's how many blades you sell"

Top Bottom