• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central on US December NPD: PS4 sold 1,568,000 (238K Pro), XB1 sold 1,511,000

MS gotta be sweating that Scorpio investment right now.

Well, that would probably depend on their expectations. It's pretty clear that Sony didn't have huge expectations for Pro, with relatively modest initial shipments. It seems the Pro was mostly a move to prevent some of the most dedicated players from moving to PC, and buying a huge amount of games on Steam instead of on PS4.

If Microsoft has been doing the same market research as Sony must have done, they should have similar expectations. If the Scorpio was conceived to turn the fortunes of the XBO, then they will be disappointed, but we don't really know whether that was their expectation (though it's clear that's what their fans are hoping for)

Nameless

As a happy Pro owner, I'm surprised the Pro sold that much.

We sorta need to know what it did in November for the complete picture, but yeah, 240k in month two for a luxury upgrade with no bundles or deals to speak doesn't sound bad to me at all.

So whats this Scorpio meme? Can someone please explain.

I think Sony kinda blew it letting MS gain such a massive share in the u.s market. i dont know if it's the lousy exclusive line up they have had this gen or the fact that americans love their xbox, but it should've never been this close.
What a ridiculous post...MS had way better bundles this holiday, still lose in their biggest, most important territory, and are leading WW by 30 million, yeah they blew it. Lousy exclusive lineup? You be trolling.

What is this weird thought process that if MS wins or gets close in the US a few months, it's "Sony blew it", "MS is catching up", It's ridiculous.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Great numbers for both consoles.

Scorpio will be delayed and become the next xbox. The existing in development titles will be launch titles for that system. Sea of thieves for instance. Crackdown 3. The system will be backwards compatible and Scorpio will be true 4K gaming. That's the trends that I am seeing.

;D

Kyoufu

So, Black Friday 2017, Xbox One S + <game> bundle will be what, $199? Scorpio will launch at $399?

I don't see the possibility of Scorpio appealing to new buyers with a $200 price difference, and then it'll be up against a cheaper Pro as well on top of that.

Given what we know about real world 4k TV adoption, the Pro numbers make sense.

In late November you're trying to convince value-conscious consumers to pay up to $150 more (than a slim bundle + free games) for slightly better AA and textures at 1080p. I expect it to ramp up as the generation wears on, TV adoption rates change, and the PS4 starts getting a little long in the tooth to run top shelf games at 1080p/30 FPS.

Based on that sliding TV adoption timescale, I expect Scorpio will have a relatively stronger launch, even if it never "catches up" LTD.

IF it was as easy as marketing everyone would do it, it's not that simple, people don't care about increased resolution enough to drop 400 + to play the same games. People will still mainly buy the cheaper slims.

I agree most people dont care about increased resolution and would get the cheaper version, unless there is something out there telling them the extra 200-300 will get them the super ultra awesome version of the system. I see Microsoft going Sega vs Nintendo route "Blast Processing". Not saying i think Sony did anything wrong i just think thats what Microsofts going to do and I think that will get more people to jump in.

notaskwid

I think Scorpio is actually going to do quite well. I think a lot of OG XB1 owners, such as myself, are going to be day-one buyers. I would say at least 90% of people on my XBL friends list (who also bought XB1 day-1) have said they're on-board with Scorpio day-1.

It would'nt surprise me in the least if MS took a small loss on each unit. They can afford it. As I've said in the past..."It ain't how many razors you sell...It's how many blades you sell"

Microsoft as a whole can afford it, but if you haven't noticed it as of late the gaming division has see cuts left and right, including the closing of one of their biggest game studio.

And of course the day one buyers are the ones more likely to buy a Pro or a Scorpio, that's to whom the consoles are aimed at, the hardcore, by no means the majority, your anecdote is useless.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm kind of shocked at how close they were. I expected a bigger gap when I saw PS4 won the month. I guess I expected the Pro to be in bigger demand.
The main gimmick of the pro is kinda useless when a grand majority of people have 1080p tv's if not lower and I don't see 4k catching on like HD did

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Again guys this is the same guy who does podcast with Crapgamer and Tim Dawg. these numbers are made up. Dont believe them.

Last time they gave out numbers it was accurate, Greenberg even retweeted them (if i'm not mistaken)

I agree most people dont care about increased resolution and would get the cheaper version, unless there is something out there telling them the extra 200-300 will get them the super ultra awesome version of the system. I see Microsoft going Sega vs Nintendo route "Blast Processing". Not saying i think Sony did anything wrong i just think thats what Microsofts going to do and I think that will get more people to jump in.

Yeah like the cloud did, that won't get more people on board, people are not idiots.

flkraven

I think Scorpio will be treated like a brand new system in advertising, but Xbox One S will continue to be advertised as an Xbox family console.

If Scorpio is priced at $400 and if the system automatically upgrades XB1 titles in some way (unlike Pro which needs a patch) then I could see a lot of Xbone users jumping over.

Yes...The price point is going to be key, which is why I'm thinking MS is planning to launch Scorpio at a loss. Build confidence in the brand and build the subscriber base...Then sell em' the software at big profit margins.

Floody

Also surprised at the people surprised at the Pro not coming close to the Slim. It's only selling point is it'll play some games better than the regular PS4, none of which has been too majorly different, and they aren't really advertising those games that do support it, with a lot just getting announced in patch notes. And on top of that you need a new expensive TV to go with your new expensive console. I'm sure over time it'll do alright, but as it stands now it's completely unappealing for many.

Dabanton

In terms of advertising Sony really dropped the ball for the Pro. I don't think that's a mistake MS will make.

Sony had to advertise the new Slim, PSVR which seems to be the adverts I see mostly on TV for Sony and I don't think I've seen a TV ad for the Pro.

Sony were also probably wary of pissing off it's users but The Pro needed a new showcase game at launch, that said here's why you should upgrade your machine ASAP.

I personally brought a Pro as it was time but many people I know just didn't see the point.

The main gimmick of the pro is kinda useless when a grand majority of people have 1080p tv's if not lower and I don't see 4k catching on like HD did

The main "gimmick" of the Pro is more power for games. Like how Final Fantasy actually runs at a playable framerate on the Pro, compared to the joke of the vanilla version.

The problem is there's no reason for developers to patch older games so the Pro is looking pretty fucking useless right now outside of like ~25 games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Very healthy numbers for both
Surprised by the low Pro ratio and by the "so close" Xbox performance
Any educated guesses about the 3ds numbers?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Damn Shame more people didn't buy Pros, but the price difference and the fact that Slim is the only PS4 which got any marketing and reasonable bundles doesn't make this any surprising.

By next year, I'd imagine Sony will be possibly cutting down Pro's price or at least putting out some bundles to counter Scorpio.

Unknown?

Well, that would probably depend on their expectations. It's pretty clear that Sony didn't have huge expectations for Pro, with relatively modest initial shipments. It seems the Pro was mostly a move to prevent some of the most dedicated players from moving to PC, and buying a huge amount of games on Steam instead of on PS4.

If Microsoft has been doing the same market research as Sony must have done, they should have similar expectations. If the Scorpio was conceived to turn the fortunes of the XBO, then they will be disappointed, but we don't really know whether that was their expectation (though it's clear that's what their fans are hoping for)
The problem for MS is that the Scorpio doesn't stop anyone from moving to PC because there's no reason to buy a new Xbox over PC. Whereas PS4 actually does have exclusives.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I wouldn't put much faith in what Greenberg retweets if the numbers look good for Xbox.

I know, but in this case it's not like he could spin the facts. It was some hard numbers that were confirmed later.

I really don't remembers which sales it was. Maybe Gears sales?

Yeah like the cloud did, that won't get more people on board, people are not idiots.

Well the cloud was a huge stretch, but i mean its not like the Scorpio isnt going to be real. Microsoft will clearly have the footage along with the product to advertise how much "better" their games are.

If this is what the Pro is doing, I don't see Scorpio setting the world on fire.

Presumably, the Scorpio will be a stronger, better featured product than the Pro compared to its predecessor. I mean at minimum it will do 4K blu-rays. As such, I wouldn't make any assumptions about Scorpio based on PS Pro. Could be similar for sure, but I wouldn't assume it so until we see more.

Wow @ the PS4 slim vs Pro numbers. Over 5x as many Slims?

I guess I'm not too shocked since I myself went with the Slim over the Pro. The price difference plus the lack of UHD drive made my decision relatively easy.

Well the cloud was a huge stretch, but i mean its not like the Scorpio isnt going to be real. Microsoft will clearly have the footage along with the product to advertise how much "better" their games are.

Most people won't care, power was never a huge selling point throughout history.

Top Bottom