• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central on US December NPD: PS4 sold 1,568,000 (238K Pro), XB1 sold 1,511,000

MS gotta be sweating that Scorpio investment right now.

Hopefully the value proposition is more, but the incremental change may not be what people want. Especially since the S already is selling itself as a 4K box.

The Pro and Scorpio products are geared more to attracting highly engaged users than selling large quantities of hardware IMO. I would be curious at comparing attach rates between Pro and Slim users going forward.

The marketing for Scorpio i think is going to be huge. For example i have no doubt Microsoft is going to make sure every NFL fan knows Scorpio is THE MOST POWERFULL CONSOLE IN GAMING HISTORY for madden from August - December 2017 over and over and over again during every commercial break. Might even make Bill Belichick use it on the sidelines
IF it was as easy as marketing everyone would do it, it's not that simple, people don't care about increased resolution enough to drop 400 + to play the same games. People will still mainly buy the cheaper slims.

firelogic

"Effectively" is the key word... subjective for sure but in my opinion they didn't do a great job there.

I also think Scorpio will benefit from much greater 4K TV market penetration.

I don't know how much bigger the 4k tv market will be from 4th quarter 2016 to 4th quarter 2017.

I don't think Sony is very happy with those Pro numbers from a return on investment perspective. I hope they realize next gen that they don't need a mid-gen upgrade.

Then they should make the Pro better. On the majority of PS4 games the Pro is the same exact thing as a vanilla PS4, which is a huge fucking problem. They should have let the games use the extra power regardless of whether the developers go back and patch it.

Not to mention it was $200-250 + game for the vanilla vs. $400 no game for the Pro. If you aren't a hardcore gamer, there's no way you're getting a Pro instead.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I think it was a huge mistake for the Pro not to have a UHD player. I'm sure the One S took some of those sales away.

How can it be a huge mistake if the competition is only taking "some" (impossible to quantify) sales away?

Interfectum

I think Scorpio is actually going to do quite well. I think a lot of OG XB1 owners, such as myself, are going to be day-one buyers. I would say at least 90% of people on my XBL friends list (who also bought XB1 day-1) have said they're on-board with Scorpio day-1.

If Scorpio is priced at $400 and if the system automatically upgrades XB1 titles in some way (unlike Pro which needs a patch) then I could see a lot of Xbone users jumping over.

Yopis

There are just a limited amount of people who care about power and better graphics over a cheap price, especially when it comes to the same games. Xbox One S gave Xbox far more of a boost than Scorpio will

Considering last gen, this is actually a complete loss for MS barely holding ground. THey outsold Sony 22 months in a row at one point last gen.

No just limited number of people with 4k displays.

I don't think Sony is very happy with those Pro numbers from a return on investment perspective. I hope they realize next gen that they don't need a mid-gen upgrade.

Why won't Sony be happy ?
They Sold about 1 million Pro WW for profit .
Plus i don't expect it cost them much in R&D.

To be fair, Microsoft has managed to build a bit more hype around Scorpio in hardcore circles than Sony has done with the Pro. I mean, the amount of people talking about it in this thread when we still only have a 60 second trailer is testament to that.

However, I do generally agree that it may be a challenging sell outside of the people on Twitter who have suddenly taken an interest in astrology.

I think Pro's probably performing right in line with expectations really; they haven't really done much with it yet, which will surely change over the course of the year.

Kill3r7

So anyone have any ideas or guesses as to why the sales of both HD twins were so much better in December than November?

To be fair, Microsoft has managed to build a bit more hype around Scorpio in hardcore circles than Sony has done with the Pro. I mean, the amount of people talking about it in this thread when we still only have a 60 second trailer is testament to that.

However, I do generally agree that it may be a challenging sell outside of the people on Twitter who have suddenly taken an interest in astrology.

I think Pro's probably performing right in line with expectations really; they haven't really done much with it yet, which will surely change over the course of the year.

This means nothing, this is a hardcore enthusiast forum. Xbox fans bring up scorpio a lot here really is nothing,

sphinx

the piano man
why didn't they mention WiiU?

out of courtesy and to avoid beating a dead horse while its corpse is rotting in the mud??

Space_nut

Boy oh boy so with pro Sony barely sold more but MS sold that much only with slim and og?

I think with Scorpio that'll be added units going to be fun to see

ianpm31

So whats this Scorpio meme? Can someone please explain.

I think Sony kinda blew it letting MS gain such a massive share in the u.s market. i dont know if it's the lousy exclusive line up they have had this gen or the fact that americans love their xbox, but it should've never been this close.

Wtf. This comment makes no sense. PS4 won the NPD's for the year 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 which means increasing gap in North America. How did Sony blow it again?

Not to mention ps4 is up 30 million over xb ww

Trago

Well, judging by the results thus far, the holiday would basically be PS4 Slim vs. Xbox One S.

I think we should consider if Microsoft will make a ton of noise about their new console too.

Sony seemingly didn't market the Pro to the moon and back, which is understandable, they had PS4 Slim and PSVR to worry about as well, but Microsoft would seemingly only have to focus on marketing the Scorpio and the S.

Right now is for Nintendo die hards. By Christmas you'll see $250 deals I'm sure. When you get similar games for each and one is portable and the other is not arguments like frame rate and resolution are less important.

We have to look at history though - Nintendo has struggled with third party support for three gens and the Switch is still a step BELOW the PS4 and XB1 base units in terms of hardware specs. The "similar games" view doesn't line up with history. PS4 and XB1 will be getting FIFA 18, Switch is getting something like FIFA 18.

You're also assuming that Sony and Microsoft will remain stagnant in price through 2017.

nelchaar

Interesting market dynamic for mid-gen iterations so far. Didn't the New 3DS also falter in sales? Might a trend predictive for Scorpio.

The scorpio isnt going to turn things around but at least it has a selling point. Its a premium console.

The pro is advertised for 4k tv owners but it doesnt do 4k gaming and it doesnt do 4k blu ray, the slim is 100 dollars cheaper. This is an easy decision for consumers, sony was afraid to go over $399 and it basically made the pro irrelevant.

That is the second time I have seen this in GAF. Are you sure?

Scorpio will be an even harder sell then pro, as x1 Slim already supports 4k video.

Scorpio will be delayed and become the next xbox. The existing in development titles will be launch titles for that system. Sea of thieves for instance. Crackdown 3. The system will be backwards compatible and Scorpio will be true 4K gaming. That's the trends that I am seeing.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Boy oh boy so with pro Sony barely sold more but MS sold that much only with slim and og?

I think with Scorpio that'll be added units going to be fun to see

Jesus. Do you guys at least think before posting?

So whats this Scorpio meme? Can someone please explain.

I think Sony kinda blew it letting MS gain such a massive share in the u.s market. i dont know if it's the lousy exclusive line up they have had this gen or the fact that americans love their xbox, but it should've never been this close.

You do realize that the worldwide gap is almost 30 million, right?

Scorpio will be delayed and become the next xbox. The existing in development titles will be launch titles for that system. Sea of thieves for instance. Crackdown 3. The system will be backwards compatible and Scorpio will be true 4K gaming. That's the trends that I am seeing.

lol sure.....

ethomaz

Banned
Wtf. This comment makes no sense. PS4 won the NPD's for the year 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 which means increasing gap in North America. How did Sony blow it again?
You need to understand that selling 100k more units in the second half of the year is more important than 350k during the whole year.

Reading some places looks like XB1 is really catching PS4 in sales even when the gap is increasing :D

Gestault

Xbox S made the Xbox more attractive and PS4 Pro just took the place of many sales that would have gone to PS4 anyways

The people actually upgrading from a PS4 seems to be minimal compared to new users

These two statements seem at odds with each other

I didn't even upgrade to a pro when I got my ks8000. Just wasn't hyped by the inconsistency that the pro provided when it comes to pro upgrades. All my 4k gaming comes from my PC. 4k Witcher 3 is glorious.

Top Bottom