• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Firestorm said:
Not to me :( I'll jump off the Microsoft Points bandwagon when I see a 50% off sale on money.

The key here would be HAVING to use space bucks. They'd still sell cards which could go on sale. It just wouldn't be the only or main option.

TylerD

My brother wrote Paul an additional email telling him how good the review was and Paul said that he has asked Microsoft what speed SD card is required because he is going to be using the Focus as his personal phone going forward but he has not heard anything yet.

If he finds out I am sure he will post an update.

Vanillalite

TylerD said:
My brother wrote Paul an additional email telling him how good the review was and Paul said that he has asked Microsoft what speed SD card is required because he is going to be using the Focus as his personal phone going forward but he has not heard anything yet.

If he finds out I am sure he will post an update.

Yeah I'd like to know this as well if I decide to get a Focus and need to update.

PCMag on the Focus:

The Samsung Focus is probably the best of the Windows phones, although I have five more reviews to go before I can really decide that for sure. But the more practical question is: How does this phone compare with the other top handsets on AT&T?

The Focus strikes hardest at the Samsung Captivate ($49.99-$199.99, 4 stars), AT&T's best Android phone—and at Android in general. The Captivate is a terrific phone, but Windows Phone is like a manicured garden where Android is running a little wild. It looks like updates will come more promptly for the Focus, and e-mail compatibility is even better. Especially if you like the Zune syncing experience, the Focus can offer a more elegant, more orderly (if less flexible) option.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370898,00.asp

Great review on the Focus. It's cons were just about the fact that WP7 is new, and not about the hardware itself, so that's great news.

I'm not sure about getting an SD card for my Focus right away. I may wait until I need it. I think my music library and apps should fit in 8gb. Though, I do have a zune pass, so I can always just stream songs instead of downloading them. We'll see. :D

Vanillalite

I hope there will be an easy way to sync and unsync my music. 8 gigs is fine cause I don't NEED all of my music on at once, but I'm gonna have a fuck ton more than 8 gigs of music on my PC in my Zune library. I'd also like to sync my podcasts, but only keep the most recent to save space.

Brettison said:
I hope there will be an easy way to sync and unsync my music. 8 gigs is fine cause I don't NEED all of my music on at once, but I'm gonna have a fuck ton more than 8 gigs of music on my PC in my Zune library.
As a long time Zune user I'm just gonna say this:
Smart DJ and auto-playlists :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSM4hml-01c

Brettison said:
I'd also like to sync my podcasts, but only keep the most recent to save space.
The client can do that.

Download the software client and try it. You can find the link in the OP.

jagowar

Brettison said:
I hope there will be an easy way to sync and unsync my music. 8 gigs is fine cause I don't NEED all of my music on at once, but I'm gonna have a fuck ton more than 8 gigs of music on my PC in my Zune library. I'd also like to sync my podcasts, but only keep the most recent to save space.

You can tell the software to only keep unwatched/listened podcasts on your device (going off the zunehd but I imagine wp7 will be the same).

As for the music I set my sync group to sync 400 random songs to my device that I have hearted (the way you indicate you like a song on zune). It ends up being a bit around 3 gigs of storage and since it randomly does it every time I sync there is always new stuff on there. From there if I need to I can use smart dj playlists off those songs (but smart dj might not be there from the start per some reviews... dont remember which one mentioned that now)

Vanillalite

I've actually been using the client since version 3.0, but I was more talking about the phone itself.

In this regard I'd want different settings on my phone verses my zune comp software. I got a shit ton of space on my computer but not so much on my phone. This is the same question as the music one.

I'd want to easily sync certain albums to my phone then when I get bored or don't listen often clear them off and sync other shit instead. I won't be able to sync my whole library cause my music library is rather large.

I mean I'd only want the latest podcast on my phone, but I might be cool with the last 3 on my computer which has more space. Does this make sense?

jagowar

In this regard I'd want different settings on my phone verses my zune comp software.

Have you ever used a device with it (just wondering)? You can do everything I think you want already..... the settings are completely separate between the pc software and device. My post above specifies how I have my current podcasts/music sync to a zune device.

Vanillalite

jagowar said:
Have you ever used a device with it (just wondering)? You can do everything I think you want already..... the settings are completely separate between the pc software and device. My post above specifies how I have my current podcasts/music sync to a zune device.

Negative. My GF has an old school first gen zune that her sis gave her when she updated to something new, but I've never really messed around with it or the Zune HD other than in the store for a second.

I've only used the software so far so you can consider me ignorant.

outsidah

I see hope for this OS specifically as it grows in these next few months. I am disappointed by some of these issues with the initial release like apps taking so long to load and no multitasking... that's huge to me.

I love playing with gadgets like these specifically since my phone is the one gadget I have with me at all times.... not being able to listen to pandora and browse the web is just uncivilized at this point. I am hoping this first update takes care of that.

As of right now, Android still holds my heart. I'd love to play with one of these though.... full purchase can't be done day 1 though as much as I would like to due to these shortcomings.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yeah I think you can do all of the stuff you want.

Settings - Device - Sync Options:

FnkR7.png

Right Click Podcast - Series Settings:

UQ9dd.png

Interview with Andrew Brown, Program Manager for Windows Phone Update.
WPT: Microsoft creates the update, but does it go right to the phone from Microsoft update servers? Or is there carrier or OEM testing first that has to happen? And if that's the case, knowing the carriers the way we all do, will the process drag out during their phase? Can a carrier stop Microsoft from releasing an update? Or can Microsoft override the carrier in a worst-case scenario?

Brown: In terms of who creates the update, I should clarify that Microsoft is ultimately responsible for "packaging", if you will, the update, as well as delivering it to the phone. But OEMs and Mobile Operators can submit their own update code as part of an overall update that is delivered through Microsoft Update. We definitely will work very closely with our partners to make sure updates are tested thoroughly, but also released in a timely fashion, following standard practices in the industry today for smartphone devices.
WindowsPhoneThoughs.com: Windows Update for Windows Phone: This is What You've Been Waiting For

I don't like this. "released in a timely fashion, following standard practices in the industry today for smartphone devices." Really? Thurrott was right.

As for the rest:
- WP7 creates a snapshot before the update, so you can roll back if something goes wrong or an important app doesn't work anymore
- No OTA updates for v1.0

Vanillalite

I don't mind not getting OTA updates since we have a specific program that we can use to update unlike say Android. That being said I'm about tired of having to fuck'n be at gosh damn AT&T's mother fuck'n whim on when they'll update their software.

Apple handling all their updates is the single one thing that I absolutely LOVE about the iphone. No fucking around. When an update is out it's out, and you can get it.

PG2G

brotkasten said:
I don't like this. "released in a timely fashion, following standard practices in the industry today for smartphone devices." Really? Thurrott was right.

It sounds bad, but I'd be surprised if iOS (or Android) updates weren't heavily tested by AT&T or whatever carriers before release.

Brettison said:
I don't mind not getting OTA updates since we have a specific program that we can use to update unlike say Android. That being said I'm about tired of having to fuck'n be at gosh damn AT&T's mother fuck'n whim on when they'll update their software.

Apple handling all their updates is the single one thing that I absolutely LOVE about the iphone. No fucking around. When an update is out it's out, and you can get it.

This is what I'm hoping for on WP7. I hope that the carriers don't get in the way of that.

TylerD

outsidah said:
I see hope for this OS specifically as it grows in these next few months. I am disappointed by some of these issues with the initial release like apps taking so long to load and no multitasking... that's huge to me.

I love playing with gadgets like these specifically since my phone is the one gadget I have with me at all times.... not being able to listen to pandora and browse the web is just uncivilized at this point. I am hoping this first update takes care of that.

As of right now, Android still holds my heart. I'd love to play with one of these though.... full purchase can't be done day 1 though as much as I would like to due to these shortcomings.

My decision is much easier. Mainly because I am coming from a Fuze/Touch Pro with WinMo 6.5 (using a custom ROM from XDA) and don't have any apps that I have to re-purchase. The UI and overall experience of WP7 is compelling enough that I will be more than happy to hop aboard day 1. I haven't decided if I will sign up for a Zune pass yet but I am going to get my monies worth out of the free month then decide if it is something I want to subscribe to.

PG2G said:
It sounds bad, but I'd be surprised if iOS (or Android) updates weren't heavily tested by AT&T or whatever carriers before release.
I don't mind the testing. I'm sure it's necessary. But this is what really bothers me "OEMs and Mobile Operators can submit their own update code as part of an overall update that is delivered through Microsoft Update."

This is exactly what shouldn't happen. No one but Microsoft should fuck with the updates. Not the carriers, not the OEMs. No one.

First review of the Mozart is online.
Wrap-up

So let's gather our thoughts for a moment. The 7 Mozart is no doubt one of the most stylish WP7 devices right now, and it handles both the OS plus the HTC apps pretty well. Of course, potential buyers should take note of the comparatively smaller 3.7-inch screen (although screen quality here is better than the HD7's, as mentioned earlier), along with the subpar camera performance and shoddy earphones -- both typical of HTC these days, it seems. Well, the choice is yours, friend.

7/10

The good:
Stylish design
Strong unibody construction
Handy HTC apps

The bad:
Subpar camera performance
Oddly positioned volume rocker
Slippery metal back
Engadget: HTC 7 Mozart review

bkw

Any word on whether or not the OS will be brought to other devices like iOS? I'd love to play with the OS itself, maybe develop on it, but don't really need a phone. Something like the iPod touch and iOS would be nice. Zune with Windows Phone 7?

PG2G

brotkasten said:
I don't mind the testing. I'm sure it's necessary. But this is what really bothers me "OEMs and Mobile Operators can submit their own update code as part of an overall update that is delivered through Microsoft Update."

This is exactly what shouldn't happen. No one but Microsoft should fuck with the updates. Not the carriers, not the OEMs. No one.

I think that was always in the cards though, see the link below. I also don't think it refers to changes to the actual operating system code. It would make much more sense if it was related to stuff closer to the hardware or their hubs/applications on top of the OS.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/04/leaked-windows-phone-7-docs-show-off-wince-6-underpinnings.ars

I guess time will tell

Wiktor

I love the way OS looks, absolutely love it.

I heard thought that Office integration still isn't full and that's the main selling point for me. Does anyone know if you can at least change styles in the documents? THat's the most important thing in my job:D

If they keep on improving and add flash this might be the choice for my next phone somewhere in 2011, especially since Nokia seems to have dropped the ball.

Firestorm

TacticalFox88 said:
What? MS didn't put Verizon on ONE of their phones? Are they asking for low sales? :lol
Tell Verizon to upgrade to a modern network. Plans for CDMA networks is coming for the new year.

TylerD

jagowar said:
More of the viral marketing... Isiah Mustafa guy down in Australia pimping the phone.... they put up the teaser a while back and now we know how he is advertising it. Love that they got him to advertise for wp7.

http://www.novafm.com.au/video_old-spice-guy-seduces-ricki-lee_107659

That was pretty damn funny.

I recommend reading the winsupersite and anandtech reviews. They are both excellent and cover many different points. I am looking forward to anand's hardware reviews.

Firestorm

thirty said:
where are the dell venue pro reviews?
The phone isn't coming out at launch. Before Christmas, but not in time for at least the European launch and likely not the North American launch either =/

Magni

Was hesitating between the Omnia and the Mozart, and leaning more towards the Mozart, but now looks like I'll be going for the Omnia instead.

Damn Dell for not making my choice easier and having the Lightning (worse renaming ever =[ ) not be a launch device here :lol

And damn you Orange for STILL not having any prices up! fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Firestorm said:
Tell Verizon to upgrade to a modern network. Plans for CDMA networks is coming for the new year.
I'll take my "old-fashioned" network anyday over ATT and TMobile, thanks.

bkw said:
Any word on whether or not the OS will be brought to other devices like iOS? I'd love to play with the OS itself, maybe develop on it, but don't really need a phone. Something like the iPod touch and iOS would be nice. Zune with Windows Phone 7?

No, WP7 will not come to the iPhone unless someone hacks it (but even still, iPhone doesn't have enough physical buttons for WP7). The current phones out there don't meet the hardware standards MS put forth, so an upgrade is just not feasible.

The only current good rumor is having a new ZuneHD based off WP7. No official word on when/if it will come out though, or any other hard details. It would be great if true though!

Magni

Fjolle said:
It seems like noone wants to sell it in Denmark (yet). *yay*

Same in France. Orange still has "Bientôt disponible", no price info, and SFR and Bouygues don't even have the phones on their site! WTF?

Walshicus

Fjolle said:
It seems like noone wants to sell it in Denmark (yet). *yay*
I'm still waiting for my email from T-Mobile [Eng] telling me it's been dispatched... if nothing by midday I think a second call is in order. Might even cancel the web order and walk into the shop for it...

Fjolle

Sir Fragula said:
I'm still waiting for my email from T-Mobile [Eng] telling me it's been dispatched... if nothing by midday I think a second call is in order. Might even cancel the web order and walk into the shop for it...
Well. The thing is that the phone doesn't come with a danish language, no access to a danish market and no zune deals. This apparently is a deal-breaker for the carriers, and even though microsoft said that the 4 big carriers would launch with 4 phones the carriers say that they won't sell it before they get phones with danish language.

The alternative is to buy it without a plan, but from what i have googled around the earliest i would be able to get one is sometime in november.

And to give even more headaches, Hi3g (one of the 4 big carriers in denmark) has announced that they have an exclusive deal on omnia7, but they have no idea when they will sell it :lol

Shaneus

Gorgeous thread, OP... well done!
Router said:
Well the only phone that interests me isn't available in Australia. Looks like I will be dropping the iPhone for Android then I'll have a look at what the WP7 scene is like in a year.
Ugh, this. I really, REALLY want that Dell... it's the only one with the AMOLED and decent amount of RAM. The Samsung has the screen but minimum amount of RAM for WP7.

How does it work in the States with buying phones outright? I need to have that Dell but seeing as no-one's selling it here, I'll have to resort to importing :/

brotkasten said:
First review of the Mozart is online.

Engadget: HTC 7 Mozart review
What the fuck? The only phone that chooses to offer more than the standard camera... and it has poor camera performance.

SMH

jagowar said:
More of the viral marketing... Isiah Mustafa (old spice guy) down in Australia pimping the phone.... they put up the teaser a while back and now we know how he is advertising it. Love that they got him to advertise for wp7.

http://www.novafm.com.au/video_old-spice-guy-seduces-ricki-lee_107659
So funny. :lol

Walshicus

Spoke again to the guys at T-Mobile about my web order. They're now saying mid-next week for arrival and a few days after that for delivery. Cancelled on the spot.

Then I went to T-Mobile's shop in town to see if I could pick it up there. The sales monkey claimed 1st November as the day they'd have it. Fuck that. Orange was next on the list; apparently they'll have a batch in tomorrow. Orange it is then!

Totakeke

So I found out just now that OneNote in WP7 is pretty much how it was in the previous windows mobile versions in terms of functionality. You can only sync pages of notes one by one instead of the whole notebook. So it's pretty much only useful for taking notes or viewing small amount of notes and not so useful for going through the information you already have on your notebooks in your computer's OneNote.

That's pretty lame. Pretty much killed my main interest of getting WP7.

It looks like the European launch is pretty much a disaster. It was said that HTC had some manufacturing problems and even though HTC denied that, it seems hard to get a WP7 from HTC.

Despite the hoopla and launch events, readers have contacted Neowin expressing frustration and anger at the lack of available devices. One reader said a T-Mobile store in Cambridge, UK quoted next week for devices, another based in Belgium has had their pre-order for a HTC 7 Trophy delayed by two weeks. Neowin readers aren't alone though. A quick glance at Microsoft's UK Windows Phone 7 Facebook fan page paints the same picture. "I'd be able to find gold easier than a blooming WP7 phone!" writes Jonathan Brown. Another commenter states they've tried to phone Orange for an upgrade and both the Samsung Omnia 7 and HTC Mozart are unavailable.

Microsoft held a launch event at the Orange store in London's Oxford Street this morning. There was a queue of exactly two people before 7AM. One was Andrew Willett who had been queueing since 5:45 AM, and the other was Simon Stearn. Pocket Gamer said they took to the streets of Manchester to find out about Windows Phone 7 and most salespeople weren't sure when devices would be available. Gadget site Pocket-Lint arrived at the Windows Phone 7 launch in London this morning and labelled it a "damp squib." The site said the store was busy but full of press and public relations (PR) people.

The finger of blame will likely point in HTC's direction alongside operators. Neowin reported yesterday that some HTC handsets would miss the Windows Phone 7 launch date today. The hardware maker denied recent reports of manufacturing delays but several phone retailers in the UK have had their devices delayed by HTC. Stores in New Zealand also received less phones than they had ordered from HTC.
Delays and a lack of devices overshadows Windows Phone 7 launch

T-Mo Germany and Belgium said they'll have the Mozart and Trophy in two weeks.

Cj70

Sounds like the launch has been pretty embarrassing then :( The Orange website still doesn't have prices and I don't see any of the phones on vodaphone. From what I've read there's not much point going and asking in stores either.

Still looking at getting the samsung omnia 7 from buymobilephones.net but I'd like to hear if anyone else has first and if the site can be trusted (or estimates on delivery). I also want to see the price plan options from orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom