• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a message from T-Mobile UK Support on Twitter.

Hi, the Samsung Omnia 7 will be in limited supply initially and will be available for dispatch from tomorrow.

Praying I get a despatched email from them tomorrow.

Pathetic launch from UK operators, they only had 12 months to get it right.

Walshicus

MasterLeePhD said:
Just got a message from T-Mobile UK Support on Twitter.

Hi, the Samsung Omnia 7 will be in limited supply initially and will be available for dispatch from tomorrow.

Praying I get a despatched email from them tomorrow.

Pathetic launch from UK operators, they only had 12 months to get it right.
I am going to kick myself if I cancelled my online order for nothing...

shas'la

A question for all you guys who picked up a handset today? Can i put my old sim in and pull the contacts from it? Or will i have to type them in one at a time..

jonremedy

brain_stew said:
Not surprised the browser back end is its Achilles heal, I always suspected as much.

Sure, its standards support is outdated, and it benchmarks horribly, but Anand still says it's a great mobile browsing experience. For me, it's not a mark against the platform.

Walshicus

jonremedy said:
Sure, its standards support is outdated, and it benchmarks horribly, but Anand still says it's a great mobile browsing experience. For me, it's not a mark against the platform.
I think we're going to see a lot of this kind of talk - hands on use will be fine, and very few will take issue... but it'll be used as a talking point against the system by those with agendas to push.

To be fair it gives Microsoft something to improve on - and we know they're going to implement IE 9 features sooner than later.

jonremedy said:

It definitely is though, the better browsing experience comes from the general hardware accelerated UI, not because its a particularly good browser at its core. Its a genuine weakness and something Microsoft desperately need to solve, the shine of the flashy and snappy UI will wear off in time, especially as others catch up.

Its the most urgent area that needs improving imo.

Sir Fragula said:
I think we're going to see a lot of this kind of talk - hands on use will be fine, and very few will take issue... but it'll be used as a talking point against the system by those with agendas to push.
r.

I've got no agenda buddy, quit implying such sensationalist rubbish.

The fact that MS have nailed the general UI and the optimisation of the core OS is enough to gloss over it for now but it is a keen and clear weakness of the paltform atm, no way to sugar coat it. Its the number one area that needs urgent attention.

Look, I understand why the situation is as it is, and its really through no fault of the WP7 development team why things stand as they are. They've had to shine up a turd and have apparently done a remarkably good of it but the underlying core and technology of the browser is complete shit and the sooner they're able to integrate the work being done on IE9 into the platform, the better. Hopefully they're working in lock step with the IE9 team now so that we see a modern browser on the platform within the year, the current solution will do for now, but if its left to stew for more than a year then its going to prove a major issue.

A new video of the Samsung Omnia 7.

bnpnoy214qzbzz2nz.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnHV2UjyN2w

It's really beautiful.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I'm very intrigues with this OS, but the description of how the lack of multitasking affects everything in the Engadget review seems like a deal breaker. It sounds worse than the iPhone OS v 1.0.

TylerD

shantyman said:
I'm very intrigues with this OS, but the description of how the lack of multitasking affects everything in the Engadget review seems like a deal breaker. It sounds worse than the iPhone OS v 1.0.

The Engadget review is not thorough enough. For those of you that are wondering about the lack of multitasking... I believe this is a very elegant solution until WP7 gets true multasking.

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/3982/windows-phone-7-review/23

WP7 vs. iOS4: Multitasking, Copy & Paste, Suspend

If you’re looking for app switching in the manner supported by iOS 4.0, Windows Phone will disappoint. There’s no Apple-like multitasking supported by the OS at launch. Windows Phone 7 doesn’t totally regress in this regard. This is where the back button comes in.

The back button in Android literally takes you back screens until you land at your home screen, at which point it stops functioning. In Windows Phone, the back button is more like the back button in a web browser - it takes you back, in order, through every app/window you’ve visited.

Let’s say you’re typing a text message and you want to double check something you received in an email. There’s no conventional multitasking support so while you’re in the messaging app you’ll hit the Start button, and tap the email tile to find the message you were looking for. Now to get back to your text message, in a conventional smartphone OS without multitasking you’d hit the home/start button, and launch the messaging app again. That’s how it used to work in iOS. In Windows Phone however, hitting the back button will take you out of the email app and back to the last app you were in. In this case, that would be the messaging app.

There are rules for how the back button works. First, never use it after midnight. The history removes almost all references back to the Start screen with the exception of the most recent one. For example, if this is the path you took:

Messaging -> Start -> Email -> Start -> IE -> Start -> Zune

Continuously hitting the back button would take you to those screens in this order:

Zune -> Start -> IE -> Email -> Messaging

You always get the most recent Start screen in your history in case you, literally want to go back to the screen you were just at. Everything else however assumes that you’ll just hit the Start button if you want to go home and you’ll just traverse through apps you’ve visited.

The history doesn’t grow by using the back button. For example, if you launch the messaging app, hit back and then launch your email, hitting the back button will only get you back to the Start screen.

It sounds like a complex series of rules but honestly it just works for the most part. The back button really shines when you launch an app from within another app. Then there’s no going back to the Start screen, you just switch between the app you’re currently at and the one you were at prior to it. It’s like a one-tap task switcher.

The back button doesn’t completely negate the need for iOS style multitasking, but it gets you around 90% of the way there. Copy & paste is the other glaring omission, but Microsoft has already committed to deliver clipboard functionality in early 2011. We’ve privately seen a demo of the feature working, Microsoft is still ironing out the best way to make it happen within the Metro UI.

Windows Phone does support suspend/resume of apps. When you switch away from an app and later return back to it, the app will pick up where you left off - similar to what iOS4 enabled. All that’s really missing is the ability for 3rd party developers to have portions of their code run in the background and some sort of task switching mechanism.

Manics

Banned
brotkasten said:
A new video of the Samsung Omnia 7.

bnpnoy214qzbzz2nz.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnHV2UjyN2w

It's really beautiful.

I watched that video, I don't understand why the reviewer is so high on the "tiling" of the apps as some great new way to navigate a phone. How are big ass tiles any better than a grid view that most phones have? Also the long list of apps, scrolling through that is easier than looking at rows of icons?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
TylerD said:
The Engadget review is not thorough enough. For those of you that are wondering about the lack of multitasking... I believe this is a very elegant solution until WP7 gets true multasking.

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/3982/windows-phone-7-review/23

WP7 vs. iOS4: Multitasking, Copy & Paste, Suspend

I'm referring to locking the screen which immediately kills the app. The back button does not help there.

EDIT: the anandtech review mentions suspend, which seems at odds with what Engadget said. ???

venne

Manics said:
I watched that video, I don't understand why the reviewer is so high on the "tiling" of the apps as some great new way to navigate a phone. How are big ass tiles any better than a grid view that most phones have? Also the long list of apps, scrolling through that is easier than looking at rows of icons?

Personally, I don't think it's better for navigation. What they can add, not saying will, is the ability to give you information without drilling into an application. If I want a stock quote, I'd rather have a ticker front and center to see my specified prices rather than open an app. Same with something like weather.

If I want a forecast or see the weekly fluctuation of an asset, I can go into the app for more information. But the basics should be front and center.

Now, whether this is adopted by developers is up in the air. But it definitely has more promise than a static icon.

As for navigation, if I use a WP7 device I'll use voice command probably 80% of the time. I would much rather say "open <app name>" than try to find where it is on my device. I'm hoping that I will be able to open the voice command anywhere in the phone. It's already been shown that you can use it to unlock the phone and immediately place a call to a contact. That's an efficient way to navigate a phone, not hunting for icons.

Magni

Orange France has the LG Optimus 7 and the HTC Mozart 7 up at 129€ with a data plan. However, there is a 100€ cashback coupon available until the 24th of November, so that makes them 29€ each. :D

As for the Samsung Omnia 7, it'll be available "early November" grrr..

Firestorm

As someone who likes to strictly adhere to web standards whenever possible, I hate IE7, but the issue is overblown. Microsoft has recognized it's an issue and the browser can be updated independent of the OS so hopefully it will be running IE9 sooner rather than later.

Mihku

Anyone knows where a simlock free Omnia 7 can be ordered in Europe? I live in Belgium and prefer to buy in the UK or Germany (it's cheaper), but I can't seem to find a shop. Only phone they all have is the Trophy 7. Is it only sold by carriers?

Magni

Mihku said:
Anyone knows where a simlock free Omnia 7 can be ordered in Europe? I live in Belgium and prefer to buy in the UK or Germany (it's cheaper), but I can't seem to find a shop. Only phone they all have is the Trophy 7. Is it only sold by carriers?

Is the Omnia 7 available in Europe yet? In France it isn't until early November for some reason =/

Cj70

MagniHarvald said:
Is the Omnia 7 available in Europe yet? In France it isn't until early November for some reason =/

T-mobile are selling it and Orange have it listed as coming soon (in the uk)

shantyman said:
I'm referring to locking the screen which immediately kills the app. The back button does not help there.

EDIT: the anandtech review mentions suspend, which seems at odds with what Engadget said. ???

The apps that Engadget were using were not taking advantage of the Suspend/Dehydrate capabilities of WP7 (details can be found in the developer documentation). And an app can still be live during Lock.

Clove.co.uk updated the the Venue Pro page.

First stock expected 8th November. 3G frequencies 900 / 2100 now confirmed
And it's the first time I hear about the battery in the Venue Pro. 1400 mAh is pretty good.

http://www.clove.co.uk/dell-venue-pro

They also have the Omnia 7, but for some reason it costs more than the Venue Pro (375 vs 425)
http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-omnia-7-gt-i8700

Am I crazy for thinking that the Venue Pro is more premium than the Omnia 7?

jagowar

The battery has been posted before..... if it hits tmobile US on the 8th as well I will be VERY excited..... really do not want to be tempted to jump to the hd7 since they already mentioned the 8th was its launch date. I know this is not tmobile US announcing this but I was worried the phone would not be done by launch.

Hopefully we find out soon how they are going to be selling the venue's (because I thought I read somewhere it will not be available @ tmobile stores)

Mihku

DayShallCome said:
The apps that Engadget were using were not taking advantage of the Suspend/Dehydrate capabilities of WP7 (details can be found in the developer documentation). And an app can still be live during Lock.

It should be mandatory to save the state of your application, it's a shame those apps passed certification. It gives the user the illusion the app was running the whole time, even though it was tombstoned (MS terminology, keeps sounding weird). It's not that hard to implement and it could save the user a lot of frustration. Nothing more frustrating then losing data because you got a phone call or something like that.

shantyman said:

Back button should always work. The OS keeps a stack of previously opened apps. Don't see why the lock screen would clear that stack. Only if memory needs to be freed stuff gets removed from the stack, or if you open a new instance of an app you previously opened. Can't simulate it on the dev tools (no lock screen there) and no physical phone so can't test it.

PG2G

Mihku said:
It should be mandatory to save the state of your application, it's a shame those apps passed certification. It gives the user the illusion the app was running the whole time, even though it was tombstoned (MS terminology, keeps sounding weird). It's not that hard to implement and it could save the user a lot of frustration. Nothing more frustrating then losing data because you got a phone call or something like that.

I completely agree with this and I thought it was :/ Just took a look at the requirement though.

Microsoft recommends that the application reestablishes the state of the application that the user experienced before the application was deactivated.

I think we're just seeing cases of people rushing initial versions of their applications into approval so they could be ready for launch. There's no reason for applications not to save state, or for facebook to not have push notifications.

Magni

brotkasten said:
Clove.co.uk updated the the Venue Pro page.

First stock expected 8th November. 3G frequencies 900 / 2100 now confirmed
And it's the first time I hear about the battery in the Venue Pro. 1400 mAh is pretty good.

http://www.clove.co.uk/dell-venue-pro

They also have the Omnia 7, but for some reason it costs more than the Venue Pro (375 vs 425)
http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-omnia-7-gt-i8700

Am I crazy for thinking that the Venue Pro is more premium than the Omnia 7?

Wait wait wait? The Dell Lightning in Europe in early November? Wasn't it supposed to be early 2011? *prays for Orange France to announce it by the 4th*

MagniHarvald said:
Wait wait wait? The Dell Lightning in Europe in early November? Wasn't it supposed to be early 2011? *prays for Orange France to announce it by the 4th*

Dell didn't announce a date for the Venue Pro. T-Mo US said it's supposed to come out in mid-November and one site said it would hit the UK before Christmas. That's all. Nov 8 would be really surprising.

brotkasten said:
The Zune HD was never meant to be released outside the US.

Microsoft has been saying the Zune and Zune HD would eventually come to Australia then have been silent since the start of this year. It seems to be coming in the form of WM7.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think despite not LOVING the rounded look it's the Focus or bust for me. Only worry I currently have is the battery life. I know it's not gonna be great, but I don't want it to suck TOO badly.

Shaneus

brotkasten said:
Yes, the Focus is the only one so far. Tho the Venue Pro is also supposed to have one, but it's not confirmed.
Just another thing to sell me on the Venue Pro. Fingers crossed there is a way to import one from the US to AU.

brotkasten: Is that confirmed that it's coming to the UK? If it's not too difficult to buy outright (compared to the US) I might get it from there. Even still, if it's out in the UK it's more likely to get a worldwide release.

Brettison said:
I think despite not LOVING the rounded look it's the Focus or bust for me. Only worry I currently have is the battery life. I know it's not gonna be great, but I don't want it to suck TOO badly.

Same for me. Everything but the exterior (screen not included) is getting high marks.

I've never participated in a launch before. I want to switch from my iPhone 3GS. What's the most painless way to do this?

Dural

Mr. Snrub said:
So one of the reviews mentioned how you can't have custom ringtones in WP7. Is that the "bottom line"? I don't really understand this decision.

Anyone know if this is true?

What about wifi calling on the T-Mobile US phones like the android phones will be getting?

I'm itching with anticipation at what the community is going to come up with for this thing. It's already so beautiful, they are gonna have some fun with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom