• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep85

besiktas1 said:
*gulp* I just ordered an omnia 7, there goes my choice for my next phone for the next 24 months... and I'm SOO excited!
IMO the best choice out of the launch lineup. Give us impressions when you get it!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
dLMN8R said:
How do you know that's not exactly what they're doing? I mean, the things not even out yet...

Uh technically it IS already out just not in the US. Come on LMN8R your my boy and all, but you're better than this! :p

That being said I'm not that up in arms over the little things not being there. I'm more cautiously worried that we won't get updates to the platform as fast and frequently as I like from MS or that AT&T will some how cock block me even if MS is on the ball.

PS: Holy crap I tried to read some Gizmodo stuff, and wow I don't remember the site being THAT bad in terms of juvenile writing. I think I remember why I never go there anymore, and it's not just the Apple fiasco.

Cj70

Just phoned t-mobile UK to cancel my previous sim only contract. They told me that the batch of samsung omnia 7s they received failed their quality checks and all got sent back lol. Going to order one from buymobilephones.net now, hopefully they got a good batch :\

Going for

£30 p/m for 18 months with 5 months 1/2 price
600 mins, 500 texts, unlim data and free phone

http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobi...le/T-Mobile-30-(18mths)-inc.-Internet/7336504

Never bought a phone on contract like this before... Am I falling into any traps or is this a good deal?

thx

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My boss has been using hers (Win7 Phone) for six months - had to give it back after beta and return to her iPhone and now she's mildly distraught waiting for the launch.

Magni

besiktas1 said:
*gulp* I just ordered an omnia 7, there goes my choice for my next phone for the next 24 months... and I'm SOO excited!

Can't buy a phone with an 'Open' (ISP+mobile) contract online, so I'll have to go in-shop tomorrow for my Omnia, hopefully all'll go well and I'll be toying with it twelve hours from now :D

venne

Brettison said:
That being said I'm not that up in arms over the little things not being there. I'm more cautiously worried that we won't get updates to the platform as fast and frequently as I like from MS or that AT&T will some how cock block me even if MS is on the ball.

I guess I'm not seeing the incentive for carriers to hold back updates. I doubt any carrier wants to be the one to get the update out last.

Vanillalite

venne said:
I guess I'm not seeing the incentive for carriers to hold back updates. I doubt any carrier wants to be the one to get the update out last.

The problem is this is RATIONAL thinking and the carriers are anything but! :lol :lol :lol

venne

Brettison said:
The problem is this is RATIONAL thinking and the carriers are anything but! :lol :lol :lol

I understand the skepticism, but what in your eyes is the incentive to withhold a platform update?

So, this may be a dumb question, but is it possible to upgrade from the iPhone 3GS to the Samsung Focus? I've never participated in a real "launch" so I'm not sure how this works.

Firestorm

Like a lot of other little things for people, Messenger isn't a "little" thing for me. It's fairly major. The only saving grace is that Messenger does integrate with SMS so at least I can SMS my friends on Messenger...
venne said:
I understand the skepticism, but what in your eyes is the incentive to withhold a platform update?
To sell new phones with the platform update built in.

dLMN8R said:
How do you know that's not exactly what they're doing? I mean, the things not even out yet...
I don't. And what 'thing' do you mean? Windows Phone 7? It is 'out'. It officially launched yesterday and everything else doesn't matter. This isn't a feature request for the OS, so the OS dev team doesn't have anything to do with it. If Microsoft can offer a full featured WLM with Facebook chat for the Zune HD (a basically dead platform, ffs!), then there's no reason not to have it available at launch for the WP7 OS. They always said since MIX10 how easy it is and how little time it takes to port Zune HD apps to the WP7 platform.

sweetvar26 said:
So for North America, which ones are the best phones so far?

HTC HD7 (T-Mo), Dell Venue Pro (T-Mo), Samsung Focus (AT&T)

mr stroke

Mr. Snrub said:
So, this may be a dumb question, but is it possible to upgrade from the iPhone 3GS to the Samsung Focus? I've never participated in a real "launch" so I'm not sure how this works.

should be(considering your eligible for a contract upgrade-1-2 years into contract with ATT)

then sell your 3GS on craigslist(sold ours for $170 with in 2 hours of posting it)

The Dell Venue Pro will be tomorrow on the Engadget Show!
LionelatDell: #dellvenuepro fans: Want to check out Dell's upcoming #wp7 phone? Tune into the Engadget Show this Saturday at 6:30 pm ET at engadget.com!

I knew that someone from Microsoft would be there tomorrow to talk about WP7, but not with the Venue Pro. Whee!

I can't wait for the review. I hope they'll upload it tomorrow.

venne

Firestorm said:
To sell new phones with the platform update built in.

I don't see how that is beneficial if you already have people locked in for two years.

I don't think they are able to designate which phones get upgraded, I believe it's platform wide.

Seems like a good way to alienate your users.

mr stroke said:
should be(considering your eligible for a contract upgrade-1-2 years into contract with ATT)

then sell your 3GS on craigslist(sold ours for $170 with in 2 hours of posting it)

Perfect, thanks!

Firestorm

venne said:
I don't see how that is beneficial if you already have people locked in for two years.

I don't think they are able to designate which phones get upgraded, I believe it's platform wide.

Seems like a good way to alienate your users.
Apparently that's what they did with Windows Mobile before. Not too sure on it. I'm hoping it doesn't happen this time and if it does, Microsoft goes apeshit on their asses.

venne

Seems like they are extending a courtesy to the carriers. I doubt anything really prevents them from just shoving it on Zune.

Engadget reviewed the Focus. Seems like most of the beef was with the case. Glad to hear the camera is excellent; that's my biggest reason for getting this device for my wife.

besiktas1

So other than me and magnihalvar (hopefully tomorrow) who else has ordered one on gaf?

I'm looking through zune client and thinking it's scary the amount of apps and games I will buy, just have to remember not to get too carried away :S Good things there's trials, this way by the time I go through them ALL i hope the "giddyness" goes and I come back to my senses. :lol

Also I still wish I could have bought them using my points I've hoarded :( any one with MS "contacts" can they ask if that will be an option in the future for me please?

venne said:
Seems like they are extending a courtesy to the carriers. I doubt anything really prevents them from just shoving it on Zune.

Engadget reviewed the Focus. Seems like most of the beef was with the case. Glad to hear the camera is excellent; that's my biggest reason for getting this device for my wife.
Man, this is confusing. The Microsoft site says 512MB RAM/1GB ROM for the Focus, Engadget says 256MB RAM, 512MB ROM. Samsung's site for the Omnia7 doesn't mention the amount of RAM/ROM at all.

besiktas1 said:
So other than me and magnihalvar (hopefully tomorrow) who else has ordered one on gaf?

I'm looking through zune client and thinking it's scary the amount of apps and games I will buy, just have to remember not to get too carried away :S Good things there's trials, this way by the time I go through them ALL i hope the "giddyness" goes and I come back to my senses. :lol

Also I still wish I could have bought them using my points I've hoarded :( any one with MS "contacts" can they ask if that will be an option in the future for me please?
I'm waiting for one or two Venue Pro reviews. If I don't like what I read, it's going to be a Samsung.

You can buy music with your points (lol).

besiktas1

Money spent on songs is lame :( I don't get the reasoning behind it tbh, MS was pushing the points hard, plus they get more "control" with their own currency, wonder what made them change their mind...

ep85

brotkasten said:
Man, this is confusing. The Microsoft site says 512MB RAM/1GB ROM for the Focus, Engadget says 256MB RAM, 512MB ROM. Samsung's site for the Omnia7 doesn't mention the amount of RAM/ROM at all.
Engadget just updated the article to confirm the 512MB/1GB.

shas'la

Cj70 said:
Just phoned t-mobile UK to cancel my previous sim only contract. They told me that the batch of samsung omnia 7s they received failed their quality checks and all got sent back lol. Going to order one from buymobilephones.net now, hopefully they got a good batch :\

Going for

£30 p/m for 18 months with 5 months 1/2 price
600 mins, 500 texts, unlim data and free phone

http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobi...le/T-Mobile-30-(18mths)-inc.-Internet/7336504

Never bought a phone on contract like this before... Am I falling into any traps or is this a good deal?

thx

seems pretty good, dont forget to add VAT to that though, grrr.

besiktas1 said:
Money spent on songs is lame :( I don't get the reasoning behind it tbh, MS was pushing the points hard, plus they get more "control" with their own currency, wonder what made them change their mind...
They changed their mind, because enough people complained about it and don't want MS points (I'm one of them). Seriously, MS points on a smartphone is probably the worst idea ever.

ep85 said:
Engadget just updated the article to confirm the 512MB/1GB.
Phew, thanks! :lol

Firestorm

brotkasten said:
They changed their mind, because enough people complained about it and don't want MS points (I'm one of them). Seriously, MS points on a smartphone is probably the worst idea ever.
It's not. Give us a choice. If my Live ID is so linked to my phone, my MS points should automatically be on there. Not to mention I'd rather have my MS Points saved on my phone and Zune account than my credit card number.

jagowar

brotkasten said:
HTC HD7 (T-Mo), Dell Venue Pro (T-Mo), Samsung Focus (AT&T)

I'd rank the top 3:
1. Dell Vanue Pro
2. Samsung Focus
3. HTC HD7

Really interested to see the engadget show..... hope we get some real information about release dates tomorrow.

Firestorm said:
It's not. Give us a choice. If my Live ID is so linked to my phone, my MS points should automatically be on there. Not to mention I'd rather have my MS Points saved on my phone and Zune account than my credit card number.
I thought your CC is also linked to your Live ID?

Firestorm

brotkasten said:
I thought your CC is also linked to your Live ID?
I've never put a Credit Card on my Live ID and would rather not if I don't have to. For WP7 I may need to which sucks. I've used Live Gold and MS Points card this entire time as it's muuuuch cheaper than using cash. Anywhere between 20% and 50% (okay 100% but yeah in normal cases!).

Firestorm said:
I've never put a Credit Card on my Live ID and would rather not if I don't have to. For WP7 I may need to which sucks. I've used Live Gold and MS Points card this entire time as it's muuuuch cheaper than using cash. Anywhere between 20% and 50% (okay 100% but yeah in normal cases!).

You can just charge things to your carrier (and pay at your next bill).

EDIT: Ah, I thought you were just worried about having your CC on live. Yeah, points are cheap :).

Vanillalite

venne said:

They also had the wtf stance on the 8 gigs preinstalled, but we've been over that already.

IDK... this was the phone I was leaning towards but I thought the review was gonna be a little more positive. It was a descent review, but when the fuck has an AT&T device gotten a better than descent review for something not named the iphone?

This choice would be fuck'n easy if AT&T had some of the EU phones or the HD7 that Ts is getting.

ep85

salva said:
They seem to be making top-notch cellphones lately.
Their Super AMOLED screens are top notch. Their insistence on using cheap glossy plastics on a majority of their high end smartphones is not.

That Samsung Focus is looking more and more smexy with every passing day, though.

CaptainABAB

PCWorld Office Mobile 7 review...
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...le_7_handson_with_the_productivity_suite.html

Funny reddit post http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoft/comments/dv128/wait_so_microsoft_went_from_this_to_this_in_less/

"Wait, so Microsoft went from THAT to THIS in less then a year?"
yfwU1.jpg

Interesting comments in that link...

"I went to the AT&T store down my street and tried out a Windows Phone 7 demo unit. The difference between 6.5 and 7 is absolutely mindblowing."

(I personally don't expect huge sales numbers on day one but I'm hoping WP7 builds momentum via great word-of-mouth)

"As a guy who actually worked on this and has code on every single phone shipped, and was here when we switched from WM-style to WP-style, I can say: yes. The amount of change we went through is really unbelievable."

Shaneus

ep85 said:
Their Super AMOLED screens are top notch. Their insistence on using cheap glossy plastics on a majority of their high end smartphones is not.

That Samsung Focus is looking more and more smexy with every passing day, though.
This is why I'm keen on the Dell... you get the AMOLED screen coupled with some thick'n'chunky N95-esque slide out keyboard styles and gorilla glass. Perfect combo.

besiktas1

Yep my favourite phone ever was my Samsung D900, one day my screen just exploded :( sad, sad, day.

Worst phone ever n97.

Phone that grew on me the most. N95 8gb black.

cartoon_soldier said:
Wish AT&T was getting better phones :(

The Focus, while it has gotten a few complaints on its plastic feel, is probably one of the best WP7 phones out there. In fact, a lot of tech blogs are saying it is THE phone to get right now. After looking at all of the reviews and such, I can definitely say I've moved away from the Dell Venue Pro camp into the Samsung Focus camp (even still, a keyboard would have been nice!).

Magni

vadernoooooooooooooooo.jpg

Neither of the two Orange shops in town have the Omnia, they only have the Optimus ><

So I can only order the Omnia online, but I can only get an ISP+mobile plan in shop, fuuuuuuu

Right now Orange is my ISP and I pay 30€, plus 55€ for my mobile at SFR (mobile plan ending next week). => 85€/month
If I get a separate mobile plan at Orange, online, it'd cost me 49€ => 79€/month
If I get an ISP+mobile "Open" plan, it'd cost me 70€/month total.

9€ a month quickly add up.. and I asked, I can't get the mobile plan separately now to get the Omnia, and then switch to an "Open" plan later, it won't work. This sucks =(

I'm sending my brother to find a shop in Paris for me because they probably have stuff before we do here in the province, but he won't be able to do much with me 500km away..

Why can't Orange shops order phones from the central stock if consumers can?

besiktas1

damn that sucks :( hope your brother get it for you...

Any ideas where I can get a case to protect my Omnia 7? By the time it comes hopefully my phone arrives...

Dazzla

Shaneus said:
This is why I'm keen on the Dell... you get the AMOLED screen coupled with some thick'n'chunky N95-esque slide out keyboard styles and gorilla glass. Perfect combo.
The Dell will only be AMOLED though, not Super AMOLED.

I've not seen either in real life, only on the net. I'd like to hear anyone's personal take on the two screens.

I'm keen on the Dell though, I'll wait on the Engadget review.

PG2G

I'm kind of torn right now. I'm feeling like a combination of mediocre hardware and underdeveloped apps may have me holding onto my iPhone 3G for another ~6 months. It's kinda hard to go from fully featured iPhone apps to WP7 apps that don't support push (Facebook) or even sign in (Yelp).

When do you guys think we'll see another generation of hardware, around summer?

Hairtux

As an iPhone 3G user wanting to move to the WP7, does anyone know anything about the lack of visual voicemail? I'm curious if that's because of the carriers, or if Microsoft just doesn't have it built into the current version. Visual voicemail is one of those things I'm just so used to having on the iPhone so I'm hesitant to upgrade to WP7 unless it's going to get that feature at some point.

I'm also surprised that I've seen almost nothing about the lack of visual voicemail in any of the reviews. What, am I the only person in the world that hates calling into your voicemail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom