• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Now that I have a second comp (tablet) that I connect my Focus too, I'm wondering if there are any particular settings or pointers I should be aware of when syncing to multiple computers. I guess it's kind of a dumb question, but are there any complications or tricks to be aware of when regularly syncing to multiple computers? Particular when it comes to the sync relationships.

The problem I have with syncing to another PC is that you then lose a large chunk of storage space to the dreaded "reserved space for other content". Without the ability to add storage to my phone, and with no way to manage that reserved space, its just not worth it for me. I'm already down to 2.5gb available on my phone to play with, I'm not syncing with another device until I upgrade to a 32gb phone or when MS brings back the sd card as a storage option.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Carcassonne with online might be the 1st WP game I buy. Civ Rev has a problem of AI patterns. I know a lot of hardcore Civ players basically figured it out so you can basically auto win every time if you want to. This even got talked about on some gaming podcasts.

Game is really good beyond that issue though especially on your phone.

The problem I have with syncing to another PC is that you then lose a large chunk of storage space to the dreaded "reserved space for other content". Without the ability to add storage to my phone, and with no way to manage that reserved space, its just not worth it for me. I'm already down to 2.5gb available on my phone to play with, I'm not syncing with another device until I upgrade to a 32gb phone or when MS brings back the sd card as a storage option.

Thanks, wouldn't have thought of that.

Troll

Banned
Let's post some good news guys....

Ovi Share is Dead! Windows Live will replace it, that in itself is interesting because the whole Windows Live branding is supposed to be killed off itself. Let's see what happens.

Daithi

Neo Member
Proud new mango user here (got the white lumia 800) but i have what i suspect is a dumb question. I've been trying to get my own contact details to display in the Me tile, how do i do this?

frontieruk

Proud new mango user here (got the white lumia 800) but i have what i suspect is a dumb question. I've been trying to get my own contact details to display in the Me tile, how do i do this?

Never seen it do that, it's just a hub for your socia medial interactions iirc

Question... is there a messenger app for windows/mac that allows me to communicate with a Lumia 710? I know I can do IM chat via Facebook, but I hate being logged into Facebook all day.

Firestorm

Question... is there a messenger app for windows/mac that allows me to communicate with a Lumia 710? I know I can do IM chat via Facebook, but I hate being logged into Facebook all day.

MSN aka Windows Live Messenger. could also use that Facebook Messenger desktop client.

Commodore

So Nokia world is in late September, the Verge is reporting rumors two Apollo Nokia phones codenamed Prodigy and AC\DC, which means we'll likely be getting official word on Apollo in September.

Personally I'm thinking Apollo is going to be a break from older phones, meaning we'll likely get very little of the nee features. Just bracing myself now for the inevitable letdown.

frontieruk

So Nokia world is in late September, the Verge is reporting rumors two Apollo Nokia phones codenamed Prodigy and AC\DC, which means we'll likely be getting official word on Apollo in September.

Personally I'm thinking Apollo is going to be a break from older phones, meaning we'll likely get very little of the nee features. Just bracing myself now for the inevitable letdown.

Most of the new features would require new hw though. Now not getting the OS updated would be a kick in the teeth, especially with the android update bashing ms has taken, though it could also be seen as a hint that people will need to update their handsets

PG2G

We'll need to hear about Apollo far before then so that developers have time to prepare apps that take advantage of Apollo. Wouldn't be surprised to see a mid/late summer show detailing Apollo with a new SDK and beta following afterwards.

Wouldn't be surprised to see an Apollo/3rd-gen launch in the September/October time frame though.

Commodore

Most of the new features would require new hw though. Now not getting the OS updated would be a kick in the teeth, especially with the android update bashing ms has taken, though it could also be seen as a hint that people will need to update their handsets

Yeah, updated resolution, dual cores, more graphic intensive games, newer cameras, storage, all come with new hardware. I do hope that in terms of OS improvements that aren't related to any of the above are brought to existing phones. I suppose it'll be around Oct, when we will likely get official word on what to expect, and depending on how they plan to take a nice leap in tech, as well as take care of their existing user base will really go a long way to determining how fast they grow or continue to flounder in marketshare. I have a gut feeling it'll be a bunch of us will get mad we're not getting a bunch of features that will only be available on Apollo phones, but I'd love to be wrong on that. MS does have a track record of taking care of past users. We'll see.

On another note, I'd love a collaboration of an |OT2 of junior'ed Troll producing, Coco editing, and Brot posting. I can't even fathom what that'd end up looking like. Plus the play on Troll's user name and Coco's... commiseration, posted through the eye of Brotkasten makes me giggle.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Yeah, updated resolution, dual cores, more graphic intensive games, newer cameras, storage, all come with new hardware. I do hope that in terms of OS improvements that aren't related to any of the above are brought to existing phones. I suppose it'll be around Oct, when we will likely get official word on what to expect, and depending on how they plan to take a nice leap in tech, as well as take care of their existing user base will really go a long way to determining how fast they grow or continue to flounder in marketshare. I have a gut feeling it'll be a bunch of us will get mad we're not getting a bunch of features that will only be available on Apollo phones, but I'd love to be wrong on that. MS does have a track record of taking care of past users. We'll see.

On another note, I'd love a collaboration of an |OT2 of junior'ed Troll producing, Coco editing, and Brot posting. I can't even fathom what that'd end up looking like. Plus the play on Troll's user name and Coco's... commiseration, posted through the eye of Brotkasten makes me giggle.

youl prob end up with
Look, look, I know it's a little janky, broken up, lacks polish, and not very cohesive, but some of those things had to be pulled back for the next iteration.

When you see the windowsphone8 |OT| it's going to blow your mind.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I hope we get some concrete Apollo news sooner rather than later. I know I should wait, but resisting the Lumia 900 will be tough.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I hope we get some concrete Apollo news sooner rather than later. I know I should wait, but resisting the Lumia 900 will be tough.
i think i might get the 900. i really need a new phone, and as much as i want to wait, i can't anymore. but that damn 3 year contract is gonna be such a pain in the ass.

thirty

Banned
The folks at WPCentral recently forced the update onto their own phones and, get this, they assert the new software has nearly tripled(!) their battery life.

great news about the nokia 800. should carry over to all nokias.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
i think i might get the 900. i really need a new phone, and as much as i want to wait, i can't anymore. but that damn 3 year contract is gonna be such a pain in the ass.

If I'm willing to upgrade now after just a year, I guess what's stopping me doing the same next year for a WP8....money I guess (and the wife). I wish smartphones upgraded at the same pace as consoles, :lol

Blackhead

Redarse

Don't do it if you have to sign a 3 year :)O) contract. The resale value of Windows Phones drop like a rock. Try and get one off-contract now and then wait for Apollo.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wish we had 2 yr contracts like US does. I could live with the 900 for 2 yrs. But off contract seems expensive.

Even 2 years is a long time when we aren't totally sure about the upgrade situation.

Then again my personal mindset is when you get into the 6 months prior to the next big update phone you might as well wait. By big phone update to I mean something that's really going to change things like the iPhone 4 moving to the new updated screen and such verses incremental updates like the iPhone 4S or or Gingerbread from Froyo on Android.

Apollo seems like it's going to be the big platform shifting type moment. Considering the 900 won't be out till April I'd say just wait it out. This is just my personal philosophy though.

GCX

We'll need to hear about Apollo far before then so that developers have time to prepare apps that take advantage of Apollo. Wouldn't be surprised to see a mid/late summer show detailing Apollo with a new SDK and beta following afterwards.

Wouldn't be surprised to see an Apollo/3rd-gen launch in the September/October time frame though.
Nokia's doesn't want to show new phones too early though. Their strategy is to reveal new products 1-2 months before launch.

PG2G

Nokia's doesn't want to show new phones too early though. Their strategy is to reveal new products 1-2 months before launch.

Yeah, but were still going to know about the OS far before any hardware is announced. Unless Microsoft doesn't want to launch with any apps that support the new features.

hwalker84

Yeah, but were still going to know about the OS far before any hardware is announced. Unless Microsoft doesn't want to launch with any apps that support the new features.

Hell we don't know much about Tango besides the support for lower spec'd devices. I suspect we'll get that info soon then Apollo several months from now.

All I know this month may be getting expensive for me if I get the 900 and then iPad HD/3

I'm willing to flash WP on my device, but XDA is such a huge mess.. wow.
Edit: I think I'll wait for WP8... I'm not taking any risks with buggy builds.

I had this huge chance to get a Lumia 800 very cheap a few months ago, passed on it :(
It was on contract (1 year).. I calculated how much money it would have cost me by the end of contract.. it was around 350 euro's (data plan included). The phone alone is 400 euro's new :(

So I was at Fry's (electronic geek paradise here in the US), picking up Collector's edition of Mass Effect 3 (only place that have them) and replacement memory for my laptop. I saw an open box headphone and want to try it out. The helper at Fry's ask if I have a phone or something that can play music, I took out my Titan and got Zune started. The guy was like "wait is that Android phone? That is so fast how you get the music player open!". I just LOL, android.

I love my Windows Phone.

JaggedSac

In regards to someone saying the features of WP8 would need new hardware:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-phone-8-preview-142154

Data Smart. A way to actively save cellular data when possible and avoid "bill shock". Microsoft (not coincidentally) just blogged about this feature in relation to Windows 8. Re-read that post and think about how a smart phone would need/use exactly the same functionality. Data Smart can be extended by wireless carriers to integrate with their offered data plans.

Wouldn't need new hardware for this.

App-to-App communication. Because Windows Phone 8 apps, like Windows 8 apps, are sandboxed from each other, this new system will provide a Windows 8 contracts-like app-to-app communications capabilities.

WP7 already has a simlar concept. Applications can register to be a part of certain things like sharing a photo, etc. No new hardware needed.

Internet Explorer 10 Mobile. Windows Phone 8 will continue to use a highly tuned version of IE which utilizes the latest web technologies.

Wouldn't need new hardware for this.

Shared components with Windows 8. The kernel, multi-core processor support, sensor fusion, security model, network, and video and graphics technologies are all coming to Phone from Windows 8.

Would be a pretty big update, but new hardware would not be necessary.

Companion experiences with Windows 8. Microsoft is offering a very similar user experience across phone (Windows Phone 8), PC (Windows 8), and TV (Xbox vNext). Pocketnow says there will be a new sync client, and not Zune PC software, though I can't confirm that part, and a set of common cloud services that will work across all three. This includes the ability to sync content (photos, music, movies) between the three screens, phone management from PC or web, shared content between each device, and Xbox LIVE games, entertainment, and more.

No new hardware needed.

SkyDrive integration. Microsoft will make your content available on all of its platforms via SkyDrive.

No new hardware needed.

Skype app. Still a separate but better app and not integrated into OS. Still optional.

No new hardware needed.

NFC and Wallet. Windows Phone 8 will allow users to securely pay and share via NFC and manage an integrated Wallet experience.

Only new hardware would have access to this, but it wouldn't preclude this update from coming to WP7.

Local Scout. Now with personal recommendations.

No new hardware needed.

Camera improvements. New "lens apps" and a far more powerful camera experience.

No new hardware needed. Seems to be just what OEMs have access to now, such as HTC having a panorama and burst fire modes.

Business features. Windows Phone 8 will include full-device, hardware-accelerated encryption with BitLocker and always-on Secure Boot capabilities, just like Windows 8. Also, it will support additional Exchange ActiveSync policies and System Center configuration settings and inventory capabilities. Businesses will be able to distribute phone apps privately as they can with Windows 8 apps.

Some of this might need new hardware, some wouldn't. Wouldn't preclude the update from coming to current devices.

So overall, nothing about these features indicate a need for newer hardware to run them. If MS doesn't give the update to current phones, it would only be due to another reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom