• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So about that new iPad. Hitting those hardware features, all of the check boxes, and that $500 price point still makes me wonder just wtf the competition can do to compete.

I fail to see how MS is going to make a dent in this market unless people really take to the whole W8 Metro thing. I bring this up because MS keeps on thinking W8 desktops/laptops as well as Win8 tablets will push people to also want W8 phones. I'm not sure if I'm seeing it, but maybe that's just me.

Also makes me wonder wtf Apple is going to do when Win 8 hits with regards to iTunes on Windows. Would they even bother making a metro app? Would that also work on the arm version? LOL

At any rate if I'm an Android tablet maker IDK wtf I'd do to really get a foothold into the market now other than trying to go the Kindle Fire route.

Any worries about a big Steve Jobs not being their drop off seemed to be answered today as well. Tim Cook and CO seemed to bring it and then some today. Bodes well for the iPhone 5 presser if it's like this iPad presser. It behooves MS to try and get out in front of the next Apple announcement IMO, but I'm not sure if they can with their current timeline sadly.

Milchjon

Well, there's only one aspect where Apple seem vulnerable: iOS looks fucking ugly by now. It really shows that it's 5 years old by now. It's telling when Google starts copying MS' design rather than Apple's.

The thing is, W8 already diluted some of the beauty of WP7/Zune.

kehs

Banned
So about that new iPad. Hitting those hardware features, all of the check boxes, and that $500 price point still makes me wonder just wtf the competition can do to compete.

I fail to see how MS is going to make a dent in this market unless people really take to the whole W8 Metro thing. I bring this up because MS keeps on thinking W8 desktops/laptops as well as Win8 tablets will push people to also want W8 phones. I'm not sure if I'm seeing it, but maybe that's just me.

Also makes me wonder wtf Apple is going to do when Win 8 hits with regards to iTunes on Windows. Would they even bother making a metro app? Would that also work on the arm version? LOL

At any rate if I'm an Android tablet maker IDK wtf I'd do to really get a foothold into the market now other than trying to go the Kindle Fire route.

Any worries about a big Steve Jobs not being their drop off seemed to be answered today as well. Tim Cook and CO seemed to bring it and then some today. Bodes well for the iPhone 5 presser if it's like this iPad presser. It behooves MS to try and get out in front of the next Apple announcement IMO, but I'm not sure if they can with their current timeline sadly.

At this point I want to see modular stuff pick up steam. It's the only way I can see mfgs cutting costs, and being able to sell "something" to a customer.

I disagree. There are a ton of check boxes left unchecked. I'm confident that there'll be a $500 Windows 8 tablet that checks just as many boxes, and I'd pay quite a bit more money for an AMD Fusion or Ivy Bridge based tablet on Windows 8. For a fully featured tablet, people will pay laptop prices.

We will see more touchscreen netbooks hopefully as well, and those generally fall under $500-600

kazinova

I actually see the iPad3 as a big chance for people to catch up. The screen is big impressive and expensive tech but it doesn't really do much. Design is more important than specs and like someone said above the iOS design is getting long in the tooth.

gcubed

I actually see the iPad3 as a big chance for people to catch up. The screen is big impressive and expensive tech but it doesn't really do much. Design is more important than specs and like someone said above the iOS design is getting long in the tooth.

i agree that IOS is getting long in the tooth, but you need to convince people to make apps for your device. something that google couldn't do yet

dream

People always complain about how iOS is getting "stale" or "boring" but then Apple releases sales figures and it turns out they're a minuscule minority.

People always complain about how iOS is getting "stale" or "boring" but then Apple releases sales figures and it turns out they're a minuscule minority.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. I pre-ordered my the new iPad few hours ago and I didn't do it, because I like iOS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
One thing has nothing to do with the other. I pre-ordered my the new iPad few hours ago and I didn't do it, because I like iOS.

You've said you're not a big app person either though I thought? I've always wondered what the iPad allure for you has been other than at the time of it's launch there wasn't really any other choice but the iPad.

Totakeke

iPad still has a ton more good tablet apps compared to Android. There are actually a good selection of board game apps on iOS, not so for Android.

venne

Metro multitasking is a big differentiator to me.

One thing I absolutely hated about using iOS was the in and out paradigm. With Windows 8, you won't need to leave what you are doing to check an email or answer an IM. Just snap messaging, email, or whatever to the side and you don't have to reorient yourself every time you check on something. It's pretty brilliant and appears as though it would work like a dream on a tablet.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, it's a total package situation and they're providing just part of it. If the W8 hardware isn't competitive, it doesn't matter how great W8 turns out.

dream

You're not supposed to like iOS though. People don't buy things things to flick through menus or throw cards away.

You've said you're not a big app person either though I thought? I've always wondered what the iPad allure for you has been other than at the time of it's launch there wasn't really any other choice but the iPad.
The iPad is just a toy for me, but the reason I prefer it over any other tablet, is simply the form factor. I really like the 4:3 display ratio and I find 16:x tablets awkward to hold with one hand or in portrait mode (I use my iPad in portrait mode 99% of the time). Browsing the web on a widescreen display just doesn't make sense.

And I'm still not an app person, it's just that I use apps on the phone even less frequently (it sounds stupid, but I don't have time for that :lol).

The list of iPad apps I use every day is pretty small:
  • iCab browser (usually in bed or on the couch)
  • Reeder (simple but awesome Google Reader, the reason I created a Google account)
  • TuneIn Radio (alarm clock)
  • XBMC Remote (the reason I switched from WMC to XBMC)

other apps I use (mostly on weekends)
  • Flipboard
  • Manga Rock Unity

and that's it.

Browsing the web with that form factor and having Reeder is pretty much the reason I won't replace it as my main tablet. I even keep the OG iPad as XBMC remote for the living room (again, great to use in portrait mode).

You're not supposed to like iOS though. People don't buy things things to flick through menus or throw cards away.

Why am I not supposed to like the OS I used every day? Just because Apple can't do any better?

iOS has nothing to offer, it's just an app launcher. Multi tasking is crap and even the bundled apps like calendar or game center look like a finger painting by a five year old, except that the kid used shit instead of colors. Same goes for the new iMovies app. Hideous.

Flipboard? Now that's a great looking app and is fun to use.

Fun to use.

Nothing Apple does with iOS is fun to use. I'm thankful for the GPU accelerated UI that runs with steady 60 fps, but that's it.

dream

Why am I not supposed to like the OS I used every day? Just because Apple can't do any better?

iOS has nothing to offer, it's just an app launcher. Multi tasking is crap and even the bundled apps like calendar or game center look like a finger painting by a five year old, except that the kid used shit instead of colors. Same goes for the new iMovies app. Hideous.

Flipboard? Now that's a great looking app and is fun to use.

Fun to use.

Nothing Apple does with iOS is fun to use. I'm thankful for the GPU accelerated UI that runs with steady 60 fps, but that's it.

I will never argue that Apple's love of skeumorphism isn't completely abhorrent.

That said, what do you want your OS to do? I think the point of mobile is to eliminate all the superfluous stuff that PCs are bogged down by; your device becomes whatever app you're currently using.

venne

I will never argue that Apple's love of skeumorphism isn't completely abhorrent.

That said, what do you want your OS to do? I think the point of mobile is to eliminate all the superfluous stuff that PCs are bogged down by; your device becomes whatever app you're currently using.

Sometimes that takes the form of a mobile app, sometimes not.

I am a big fan of the Smoked By Windows Phone promotion. It highlights what mobile should be about. What do you want to do on your device and how quickly can you do it?

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
i agree that IOS is getting long in the tooth, but you need to convince people to make apps for your device. something that google couldn't do yet
With a guaranteed 100+ million market, don't think MS will have much of a problem getting people to create Metro apps.

hey guys, i hope someone knows about this:

the headset that came with my omnia 7 is broken, that only the left earplug works. i searched for a new one on amazon but they only offer replacements with only 2 buttons and it seems that some headsets simply dont support all the functionality (make/end calls, volume regulation, skip tracks by double tapping) the original headset has.

do you know which headset works perfectly fine with omnia 7?

kehs

Banned
Tango Eccentricities.

Windows Phone Marketplace app restrictions - Some processor-intensive apps have specific memory requirements, and will not work on devices with 256MB of RAM.

Podcast subscriptions and video podcasts - Devices with 256MB of RAM will not be able to manage podcast subscriptions of watch video podcasts.

Bing Local Scout - Microsoft is disabling Bing Local Scout on 256MB of RAM devices.

Fast app switching - The fast application switching, introduced with Mango, will be disabled on 256 MB of RAM devices.

SkyDrive automatic photo upload - Automatic upload of SkyDrive pictures will not be possible on 256MB of RAM devices, but users can still upload these manually.

HD video playback - 256MB of RAM devices won't be able to play video compressed with certain codecs.

Background agents - Microsoft has removed background agents functionality for devices with 256MB of memory.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/8/2853948/windows-phone-tango-256mb-ram-restrictions

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Remember all that cool stuff we added with Mango?

yeah, you can't have any of that. trololololol.
unless you have more than 256 mb of RAM.

so basically they're gonna have 2 versions of the OS. one for high/mid range devices and one for low end devices.

fucking great ಠ_ಠ

clav

unless you have more than 256 mb of RAM.

so basically they're gonna have 2 versions of the OS. one for high/mid range devices and one for low end devices.

fucking great ಠ_ಠ

Wonder if page file will be used to borrow from the ROM memory in the future. Kind of like a swap partition on Android rooted devices.

256 with some limitations? Does it run smooth?

Okay, sounds good.

The phone isn't aimed the average neogaf user.

It will be used as pay-as-you-go garbage. Every Pay as you go phone I have seen in the store fucking sucks. Even the Virgin Mobile ones.

maeh2k

There are probably lots of people who wouldn't even miss any of these features. Seems like a good compromise for entry-level devices.

Commodore

I suppose that's not too bad, as long as the differences are clearly defined and the expectations as to high end/low end Windows Phone aren't muddled down the line. I wonder what a chart of Android eccentricities would look like considering how they've handled updates across all their phones. The iPhone comparison is idiotic in this chart.

f6Jp1.png

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

kehs

Banned
I suppose that's not too bad, as long as the differences are clearly defined and the expectations as to high end/low end Windows Phone aren't muddled down the line. I wonder what a chart of Android eccentricities would look like considering how they've handled updates across all their phones. The iPhone comparison is idiotic in this chart.

http://i.imgur.com/f6Jp1.png[IMG]
[url]http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support[/url][/QUOTE]

I don't recall any version of android removing major functionality that was recently introduced.

I'm a little confused why they would even bother with addressing a device with 256MB of ram, I refuse to believe it's cost oriented for assembly lines. It would literally be cents to push up to the next ram slot, but I guess with licensing costs accounted for, every corner makes sense to cut.

Commodore

I don't recall any version of android removing major functionality that was recently introduced.

I'm a little confused why they would even bother with addressing a device with 256MB of ram, I refuse to believe it's cost oriented for assembly lines. It would literally be cents to push up to the next ram slot, but I guess with licensing costs accounted for, every corner makes sense to cut.

Wouldn't specific Android Versions available across the plethora of Android phones, take for example, Face Unlock in Ice Cream Sandwich be considered a feature not available across a wide amount of Android phones? Seems MS is making it black and white, low end and high end. Seems simpler doesn't it? I mean looking at the breakdown here, trying to figure out what was available in each version, plus the marketshare for each version, it's rough. They have a unified update directive coming right?

kehs

Banned
Wouldn't specific Android Versions available across the plethora of Android phones, take for example, Face Unlock in Ice Cream Sandwich be considered a feature not available across a wide amount of Android phones? Seems MS is making it black and white, low end and high end. Seems simpler doesn't it? I mean looking at the breakdown here, trying to figure out what was available in each version, plus the marketshare for each version, it's rough. They have a unified update directive coming right?

I would say the difference would be that MS is specifically speccing out devices and limiting the features. In the case of something like face unlock, it has to do with shoddy optics not being up to snuff. I suppose it equates to the same end result though.

It just seems that if MS if taking full control of the specs, they might as well push forward. It's basically keeping the feature phone category instead of pushing for a move forward.

zedge

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/f6Jp1.png[/IMG]
http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

This comparison is not really the same.

There are low end phones with gingerbread, there are also high end phones with gingerbread. Its not like the low end phones have gingerbread 'lite" or something. Its more to do with the specs or features of the handset than the version of Android its running.

itt people forget countries outside the united states exist?
Yup. I doubt even a single Tango phone will come out in North America, and if it does, it will be extremely cheap. Tango is largely for developing countries, no doubt a result of Microsoft playing to Nokia's strengths.

Commodore

I would say the difference would be that MS is specifically speccing out devices and limiting the features. In the case of something like face unlock, it has to do with shoddy optics not being up to snuff. I suppose it equates to the same end result though.

It just seems that if MS if taking full control of the specs, they might as well push forward. It's basically keeping the feature phone category instead of pushing for a move forward.

Doesn't having an option on both the high end and low end negate any sort of qualm anyone might have when choosing between the two, especially if they know going in what the limitations or the added features they're getting? If they manage to clearly define the line in the sand between the two versions, they'll prove they learned their lessons from Windows Mobile, the Android of 2007. ;)

Going low end, especially with Nokia making the charge in the markets they do well in does make sense. MS needs marketshare, and they honestly aren't going to do huge business competing with Android/Apple in the high end market until they have a bigger foothold/mindshare. I think its a smart move, more so given people are generally highly satisfied with the platform, get them early, and they will certainly be more than likely to upgrade to the high end when their upgrade hits.

the low end is important, Android is mopping up the floor with the prepaid market, and it's a great chance for MS to get their OS into the hands of people getting their first smartphone from their budget conscious parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom