• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

The Focus S+2 or whatever Samsung going to call it seems to just disappear. Titan 2 also have been no show, unless At&t and MS just want to concentrate on Nokia phone for now.

The Samsung i667 actually went through the FCC on 03/14, so it's still working it's way through the system. Hasn't quite disappeared yet, just hasn't been formally announced.

Milchjon

They both look amazing but white is my favourite

6952674745_16c3ab69dd_c_d.jpg

I kinda want the magenta Lumia 800. But the white one is probably the only white smartphone I like.

Argh, I'll just win the lottery and buy all the colors...

freshair

Tried to stream spotify and use navigon last night at the same time, and the audio kept cutting out from the stream.

using one or the other by itself is fine, but using it at the same time is a no go :(

is this a ram or cpu limitation? :|

So looking back, can we agree that the Focus S > Titan? I remember there was a lot of debate last october/november about which device was the one to get.

I got the Titan over the Focus S and don't regret it. Titan has been a great phone for me, and I'm sure the Focus S would have been good as well, but the build of the Titan is so much better than the very plastic and light Focus for my personal tastes.

Fuck AT&T I'm upgrading to 8107 right now.

Yeah I'm about to do the same.

What method did you use to upgrade?

frontieruk

Tried to stream spotify and use navigon last night at the same time, and the audio kept cutting out from the stream.

using one or the other by itself is fine, but using it at the same time is a no go :(

is this a ram or cpu limitation? :|

Or a BW issue? though it could also be Navigon claiming the audio channel for voice directions

hwalker84

I got the Titan over the Focus S and don't regret it. Titan has been a great phone for me, and I'm sure the Focus S would have been good as well, but the build of the Titan is so much better than the very plastic and light Focus for my personal tastes.

I used the method from wpcentral that was posted today. Took about 10-15 mins.

kehs

Banned
This is the most active MS thread, so I thought I'd put it here. Inside West Coast Customs did a mustang retrofit with a bunch of Microsoft stuff, It aired at 9 east coast, but I just remembered about it. Luckily I recorded, did anyone watch it?

NeOak

Visual voicemail confirmed for Lumia 900 and Titan II. Hopefully the LTE-only rule is not true and older phones get the feature... Make it happen ATT!

(Edit) Link: wpcentral.com/first-look-visual-voice-mail-att-lumia-900

FWIW, I've been using Visual Voicemail in my unlocked Dell Venue Pro since early february. I didn't do anything, it was just there one day.

As long as you have Mango, it should work. I didn't think it was that news worthy :S

Edit: I'm on AT&T.

Tapiozona

Banned

I got the Titan over the Focus and I regret it every single day. I'm only my third Titan and soon to be fourth and each phone has the same shitty, muffled voice, problem making the phone pretty much useless as a phone. So annoying because I love the phone otherwise..it just sucks as a phone.

Troll

Banned
Fuck AT&T I'm upgrading to 8107 right now.

I was going to until I found out that I was going to lose all of Samsungs special firmware. I have a focus and I really do not want to go back to slightly grazing the buttons on the bottom and messing up whatever app I have launched.

hwalker84

FWIW, I've been using Visual Voicemail in my unlocked Dell Venue Pro since early february. I didn't do anything, it was just there one day.

As long as you have Mango, it should work. I didn't think it was that news worthy :S

Edit: I'm on AT&T.

No NeOak you are just flat out incorrect. A At&t branded phone has VVM disabled. Mango doesn't matter. The only way to get it is to use that LTE hack someone figured out a few weeks ago or I guess own a Venue like you.

What's also possible is your previous phone had vvm and by using that sim and not changing your plan caused it. I'm just speculating. But as you can see with that the VVM being found on the 900 being a big deal should've shown you that it didn't come with Mango on ATT. The sad thing is ATT supports it but they are fucking assholes. God I really hate them more and more by the day.

I was going to until I found out that I was going to lose all of Samsungs special firmware. I have a focus and I really do not want to go back to slightly grazing the buttons on the bottom and messing up whatever app I have launched.

i don't understand why would you loose your Samsung firmware? I am pretty sure Samsung firmware and Windows Phone are two separate update. (unless 8107 is not support by any of the Samsung, I don't know since I used the Titan now).

Troll

Banned
i don't understand why would you loose your Samsung firmware? I am pretty sure Samsung firmware and Windows Phone are two separate update. (unless 8107 is not support by any of the Samsung, I don't know since I used the Titan now).

From what I read it is just a stock 8107 and wipes out everything else, all you would have update wise is the 8107 version of the os anything else installed wouldn't be on there. I thought the same thing but I read on either WPcentral or WMPoweruser about it.

e: found it

link

WPcentral.com said:
Having said that, if you still want to go down this path we can say it does work and if you follow the directions to the letter, you'll have 8107 on your Windows Phone (you just won't have any "tweaked" OEM firmware to go with it).

NeOak

No NeOak you are just flat out incorrect. A At&t branded phone has VVM disabled. Mango doesn't matter. The only way to get it is to use that LTE hack someone figured out a few weeks ago or I guess own a Venue like you.

What's also possible is your previous phone had vvm and by using that sim and not changing your plan caused it. I'm just speculating. But as you can see with that the VVM being found on the 900 being a big deal should've shown you that it didn't come with Mango on ATT. The sad thing is ATT supports it but they are fucking assholes. God I really hate them more and more by the day.

Oh wow. My previous phone? An iPhone 2G for the unlimited smartphone data trick, but that was almost a year ago and only for a week. I didn't know the AT&T firmware versions had it disabled, since mine just worked one day without doing anything.

I haven't bought an AT&T branded phone since a Nokia N75 4 years ago. This just reminds me why I kept using unlocked Nokias until the (unlocked) Venue Pro.

Is the Lumia firmware update supposed to improve the picture quality of the 800's camera? Images look a little soft compared to iPhone

And, when is this update releasing, or has it already?

#confused

From what I read it is just a stock 8107 and wipes out everything else, all you would have update wise is the 8107 version of the os anything else installed wouldn't be on there. I thought the same thing but I read on either WPcentral or WMPoweruser about it.

e: found it

link

I think that just mean that the update will be only for the OS and not the hardware specific firmware so if you want hardware specific firmware you would have to update it separately but if you already got the update from At&t it would just still be there. I don't see why OS update would wipe out your firmware. (Though I could be wrong, but that is how I read it).

edit: I updated my Titan long ago as soon as 8107 work around was available and my Titan still function fine with all the Titan specific stuff still on there like attentive phone, camera modes etc. I check the Titan firmware and I am pretty sure it's the last one. Anyway you have a back up anyway so before you update check your Samsung firmware and if yo update it and it reverse or change then you can roll back. Also if it does roll back your Samsung update, when you plug it in to Zune it should prompt you to get Samsung update if it is available.

My old Focus is completely unbranded and unlock so I can't really check since it's always get whatever update Microsoft releases.

I got the Titan over the Focus and I regret it every single day. I'm only my third Titan and soon to be fourth and each phone has the same shitty, muffled voice, problem making the phone pretty much useless as a phone. So annoying because I love the phone otherwise..it just sucks as a phone.

Yeah I haven't had the voice issue at all. Unfortunate for those that do though.

You must do the backup of you wish to have your stuff back on your phone.

The Zune backup is what you're talking about right?

I was talking about a separate manual backup.

This is the most active MS thread, so I thought I'd put it here. Inside West Coast Customs did a mustang retrofit with a bunch of Microsoft stuff, It aired at 9 east coast, but I just remembered about it. Luckily I recorded, did anyone watch it?

I read about it. Something about they are going to incorporate more of Windows 8 into car computer system like Ford SYNC. Your car will connect to Microsoft service.

You can always start a new thread. : ) I am sure Gaf would love another free for all Microsoft thread and since no one know or remember this thread except for some Android fans.

I watched the Microsoft Mustang thing. They put hud's into the windshield, a Kinect in the front and back of the car that allowed them to view what's going on with a Windows Phone, the back window had actuators that moved it up and turned it into a tv for playing xbox, the dash had a tablet for the display that you could customize.

The West Coast Customs owner flew to Redmond with his kids and they played Star Wars Kinect.

Probably some other stuff I can't remember.

They took the shell from a 67 mustang and put it on top of a brand new 2012 Mustang.

Edit-One other thing of note for this thread, one of the guys had a Nokia Windows phone and based on a date they gave it was filmed in late October/November. Must be nice to work there and get stuff early.

Troll

Banned
Hey guys I am working on a .gif for the new OT, on photoshop. What I am trying to do is get it to loop backwards, if that makes sense. So instead of looping it just goes backwards so it isnt janky looking.

freshair

Or a BW issue? though it could also be Navigon claiming the audio channel for voice directions

I thought it could be a BW issue as well, so I enabled spotify offline/tracks downloaded to the device and it still did that!

I'm going to have to do some more trials with zune and see if it is an issue with nav. claiming audio channel, or it's something deeper O__O

kehs

Banned
Hey guys I am working on a .gif for the new OT, on photoshop. What I am trying to do is get it to loop backwards, if that makes sense. So instead of looping it just goes backwards so it isnt janky looking.

You gotta build it into the gif before saving.

kehs

Banned
Thanks, I'll try to finish it later. Do you know how to get it to replay backwards? Once I can do that I will just add it to the end of the original and be done with it.

I *think* there's an option to just reverse animation. Otherwise, just copy the initial and last frame and transition the animation.

jagowar

I am hoping somebody puts it up online because I don't have that channel that it was broadcast on.... I am actually kinda interested to see how the whole thing took shape particularly the tablet in the car part.

This is completely out there but sync (and its offshoots) are 5+ years old now and really has no touchscreen component yet. I wonder if win8 is the beginning of a new generation of nav systems for a car that can leverage apps and a show like that might have given us a glimpse of said future.

NeOak

Hmm, looking at that LTE "hack", he does use a different apn. I'm using the "phone" apn instead of the "wap.cingular" apn.

Maybe those in AT&T that have 8107 can use the different apn to get VVM? I ask because when I was using the "wap.cingular" apn, I didnt get the AT&T section in the marketplace (and used the phone with the medianet internet plan.) When i changed to the "phone" apn I was able to get the AT&T marketplace (and got owned with the Datashit 2GB plan, which is why i had to get the iPhone 2G).

Has this been tried? (8107 + "phone" apn + AT&T branded WP7 phone)

So I heard from a source (an acquaintance I know from back in the day) who know works at MS but not in the phone division persay mention MS is intent on getting the Phone version of Windows 8 out ASAP. He wouldn't nail down a specific date, but said don't take W8 hitting in October to be that's win WP8 will hit. MS wants to get the WP8 out quite a bit sooner than that.

From what I heard through the grapevine, they were targeting late summer/early fall for code-complete to OEMs. If true, that would indicate that it might release to the public like Mango, since Mango shipped late summer (Was at the ship-party, had lots of fun).

I am hoping somebody puts it up online because I don't have that channel that it was broadcast on.... I am actually kinda interested to see how the whole thing took shape particularly the tablet in the car part.

This is completely out there but sync (and its offshoots) are 5+ years old now and really has no touchscreen component yet. I wonder if win8 is the beginning of a new generation of nav systems for a car that can leverage apps and a show like that might have given us a glimpse of said future.

They didn't really show much, tablet was just where the gauges are on a normal car, you could swipe it to change how the gauges looked. I'm sure it could do more than that but that's all they showed.

kehs

Banned

They didn't really cover anything on the tech side other than "cool, touch screen!", they mostly focused on their faux deadline. Just another West Coast Custom episode.

I was hoping for a little more, but like Obama faithful, I'm a delusionalist.

I like how the guy in his article talks about having a rematch and then when Ben suggests one on twitter the reddit thread blows up all pissed off about it.

"Come back for a rematch"? How demeaning.

Fuck that and fuck you, Microsoft.

Korey

I like how the guy in his article talks about having a rematch and then when Ben suggests one on twitter the reddit thread blows up all pissed off about it.

I don't think he was being serious in the article.

Either way, Microsoft offering him a rematch is NOT the correct way to right this wrong.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

Either way, Microsoft offering him a rematch is NOT the correct way to right this wrong.
Yes they should just give laptops away to anyone that feels butthurt.

Dear ms

I am a pissy droid user who shouldve won your contest but didn't, please can I haz my prize.

Xoxoxoxo
complex_shadow

I'm pretty sure he was being serious, especially reading everything he said in the Reddit thread. Sounds like a bit of a Microsoft fan and I'm sure he'd love the attention that would come his way in a rematch.

I'll bet someone is reviewing the tapes from that store and trying to figure out what happened. Store manager probably gets fired if it actually went down the way he said it did. Laptop isn't worth the hassle if they are screwing over legitimate winners.

RIP Copernicus

what thread did that happen in?

maeh2k

Having the right widgets set up isn't really the intent of the contest. That could just as easily be done with a windows phone. They should have ruled that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom