• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

If Sony made a Windows phone with an APSC sensor on the back and emount, I'd buy it immediately.

Shit if they just made an APSC sensor'd phone with Windows I'd buy it. I don't care if it makes it thicker.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The FB app has way too much power/permissions on android. It's basically a first party app, and it can basically take over your battery life and your phone's soul. So the two apps a typical person would use most on android (Chrome and FB) are the worst battery offenders.

And yes, Edge is a battery killer in wm10, just to get that rebuttal out of the way.

clav

The FB app has way too much power/permissions on android. It's basically a first party app, and it can basically take over your battery life and your phone's soul. So the two apps a typical person would use most on android (Chrome and FB) are the worst battery offenders.

Same with iOS.

No, it's not like a first party app at all as they don't do that.

I love how the recommendation on Android is "use the browser, because the app is garbage and will kill your battery life".

Isn't that the whole point of installing apps? Allowing companies to run ad streams behind a user's phone to collect data about them. What do you think comes with the price of free?

https://youtu.be/MTOa2Imauqk

hadareud

The Translator
Since I have been a bit critical about Surface of late:

My SP4 fell off the bread maker onto the tiled kitchen floor this morning (a drop of around a metre and a half). Not one scratch or dent - pretty amazing, really.

NeOak

Since I have been a bit critical about Surface of late:

My SP4 fell off the bread maker onto the tiled kitchen floor this morning (a drop of around a metre and a half). Not one scratch or dent - pretty amazing, really.

Had it been a 920, you would have needed to replace that that tile.

derFeef

I really hate the people/contact sync with W10 right now, please MS fix this.
Microsoft Messages
Microsoft Outlook

Some contacts duplicated, even triple... it's very confusing.

I really hate the people/contact sync with W10 right now, please MS fix this.
Microsoft Messages
Microsoft Outlook

Some contacts duplicated, even triple... it's very confusing.

More annoyingly for me, even after I go and manually link all the duplicates, it insist's on unlinking my contacts every other day.

People is such a poorly written app in general in a lot of respects - I'm baffled how they thought it was acceptable to ship it in comparison to what we had in the previous OS'

Paganmoon

You sure it's not just the battery that's terrible?

Pretty new iPhone 5s. Battery started draining after I started testing out Skype for Business on it (I use my private phone for SfB, but installed it on the iPhone as we've had issues reported), since then, the phone can hardly last a day. I don't use the iPhone much, don't have many apps either, so battery usually lasts several days.

Magni

VAIO is no longer part of Sony though. But this will be the closest we'll get to a Sony phone I'd say.

I must have missed that news; my bad, didn't mean to derail the thread. That explains the garbage design compared to the Xperias though.

After a first weekend back with Android: Having access to apps is nice. Google is awesome and/or creepy, leaning towards creepy. Miss the start screen. Miss the keyboard. Miss the contacts management. Android fragmentation sucks. All in all, no surprises.

Anyone have an opinion on the Blu Win HD LTE? One of the best-priced phones in Spain, not sure whether I can recommend it to a friend. I left Windows Phone about 15 months back, not sure how it's changed since.

The person isn't a Snapchat user.

Anyone have an opinion on the Blu Win HD LTE? One of the best-priced phones in Spain, not sure whether I can recommend it to a friend. I left Windows Phone about 15 months back, not sure how it's changed since.

The person isn't a Snapchat user.

Lack of any form of decent coating on the screen costs it - it does ship with a screen protector though.

But, it also has buggy DPI display on Windows Phone 8.1, that causes all 8.1 apps to render at 100% DPI instead of 200 / 250% DPI, so they look bloomin tiny, which is annoying to read.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have to say, this last cumulative update really stabilized my phone. Everything works, the reboots have been greatly reduced (I had just one over the weekend). Video works on the camera. I think if I can get the firmware update that fixes some lagging camera issues, the phone will be in a state where it's ready for general release.....3 months after it actually released.

I'm tempted to put my mom's phone on the slow ring. My phone is really enjoyable to use now, very stable, very smooth, and all this with a ton of apps installed, which is what brings Android to its knees in my experience. Even the battery life has improved substantially. This is the reason I switched back to WP.

Right now, I'd want MS to prioritize the following:

-Pictures app
-Groove music
-hand over a large bagful of cash to Snapchat
-Hurry up the big FB update, the universal Instagram app, and the mobile release of the desktop Twitter app. Although, to be honest, Fenice is pretty great for twitter and it has Windows Hello support.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What FW update... this is so confusing if you are an insider. Or not.

So there is the cumulative update that's now on the slow ring and it's pretty great, but there is an additional, carrier-dependent firmware update that addresses camera issues and some other things. My carrier delivered a FW update late last year, but has not delivered this latest one.

Hopefully we can soon start receiving ALL updates through the insider program, not just OS updates.

hadareud

The Translator
They've released another FW update at the end of last week, but it's not yet available everywhere.

I haven't received it yet, neither has my gf.

JaggedSac

So there is the cumulative update that's now on the slow ring and it's pretty great, but there is an additional, carrier-dependent firmware update that addresses camera issues and some other things. My carrier delivered a FW update late last year, but has not delivered this latest one.

Hopefully we can soon start receiving ALL updates through the insider program, not just OS updates.

There was a MS post saying firmware updates will start being offered via the insider program.

Paganmoon

There was a MS post saying firmware updates will start being offered via the insider program.

I think the idea (so far is) that they've added a "production" ring to the insider program, so for now, to get FW, you need to change insider-status to production, update FW, change back to the ring of your choice, not sure if it's going to be offered through insider directly, ever. (since apparently providers need to test the FW before it being sent out or somesuch).

Edit: Also, we now have TWO mods with Windows Phones!

JaggedSac

I think the idea (so far is) that they've added a "production" ring to the insider program, so for now, to get FW, you need to change insider-status to production, update FW, change back to the ring of your choice, not sure if it's going to be offered through insider directly, ever. (since apparently providers need to test the FW before it being sent out or somesuch).

Edit: Also, we now have TWO mods with Windows Phones!

The "production" thing you are referring to is the current workaround. Firmware will be provided to insiders. In the post, he mentions only firmware that affects the software that talks to mobile operator networks has to be tested by the operator.

Blackhead

Redarse
I love how the recommendation on Android is "use the browser, because the app is garbage and will kill your battery life".

Skype for Business on iOS drains battery like hell. There are apps like that on all platforms.

You sure it's not just the battery that's terrible?

Uninstalling Facebook app saves up to 15% of iPhone battery life
The Guardian said:
Testing reveals Facebook iOS app drains battery life, even when it isn’t being used, and that using Safari instead will make an iPhone last longer...

derFeef

I had my first "crash". The phone was just off and I needed to take out the battery to boot it up again. It was just lying there on the table. *waits for FW update*

Long time, no see, folks!

The Lumia 930 feels like it has walked into a standstill. I mean, it works fine. It just works fine. Nothing exciting anywhere, aside from Windows 10 that isn't even officially out for the phone yet.

Makes me think about going Android next time around again... though admittedly the hardware is nice.

hadareud

The Translator
Hello has improved significantly with the last few updates. Speed and reliability are almost there now, and the distance too.

Not in bright sunlight though. Won't work at all.

derFeef

Hello has improved significantly with the last few updates. Speed and reliability are almost there now, and the distance too.

Not in bright sunlight though. Won't work at all.

It's still a very specific angle and distance I can't get used to in many situations. Sometimes the phone is just there on the table and I want to unlock it - nope, need to pick it up. I know it's not meant to do that but at least it could work a BIT better.

Also it should not check for you if set a timeout for requiring sign-in. Only when that time is passed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also it should not check for you if set a timeout for requiring sign-in. Only when that time is passed.

That was annoying until I figured out you could swipe the lock screen and ignore the iris scanner so long as the timeout period hasn't passed, which for me is like 90% of the time.

Paganmoon

That was annoying until I figured out you could swipe the lock screen and ignore the iris scanner so long as the timeout period hasn't passed, which for me is like 90% of the time.

The default is waaay too high at 15 minutes. One of the first things I did was to set it down to 1 minute.

Top Bottom