• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

You seem to hate Rubino almost as much as I hate Warren.

Not quite, though.

It comes from when he teased something on Twitter (like bad news, I think) and then pulled out by saying that he can't say what it is. I told him it was kind of shitty to mess with the people like that and he responded something like that he doesn't owe this Twitter followers anything. Apart from them being his audience, sure.

That guy can get fucked.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just assumed MS would have no presence at MWC.

They will be there with a big stand. Oddly enough, sharing some elbow space with SAP.

They are the media's best friend. They always keep some bars with free food/snacks and wired Internet for the poor folks who can't get into the press rooms. For all their faults, they are usually very accommodating.

JaggedSac

They will be there with a big stand. Oddly enough, sharing some elbow space with SAP.

They are the media's best friend. They always keep some bars with free food/snacks and wired Internet for the poor folks who can't get into the press rooms. For all their faults, they are usually very accommodating.

So MS is the hospitality tent of MWC? lol

They'll invite Elop back to showcase new features for Office mobile.

lol, I forgot about that guy.

my iPhone 6 has started mysteriously dying at 30% after what I consider to be a year of light use. It's the 64 GB model so I can probably flip it for some good change still, but I'm thinking about replacing the screen on my old 920 and just running that again. Hell maybe I'll even hunt down one of those lambo yellow shells for it.

Is windows 10 available on it yet? Is it any good?

I don't really care if it isn't, but how about Groove music? Does that work any better? When I left WP last January, the music app was in dire state.

dkoy

Hello WPGaf (?). My Lumia 820's screen just died and instead of replacing the screen I've decided to replace the whole phone. I've decided to stick with Windows Phone OS because I like how it syncs with whatever I'm doing on my computer too.

My question is, is the Lumia 950 worth the extra 400 (Aussie) dollars than the 930? I'm buying it out right because I'm on a prepaid sim since I don't use my phone enough to buy a contract. If you have any other suggestions please do tell!

Also obligatory pre-emptive apology if this is the wrong thread to ask this sort of question.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hardware since:

@Evleaks

Surprised that it is hardware and also that it is supposedly mind blowing. Wonder when the news hits?

Also, I don't mind Rubino, definitely better than Warren for me. I actually like Thurrot a lot despite the trolling, at least he is an equal oportunist troll.

after the surface, hololens, and surface book reveals, I've got no clue what this company can make anymore. We have the capability of making something without it leaking!

I'd take whatever Rubino says on Twitter with a grain of salt.

Couple random things:
-The update process without your attention is pretty slick. Apparently my phone downloaded .107 yesterday and this morning I was on .107
-Podcast app discussion that's been going around: I bought Grover pro last night and played around with it. I like the design, but I'm not sure I like how it manages new episodes, might stick with PocketCasts

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I always feel good about the platform until I listen to windows weekly, which always bums me out.

Also, I know the conventional wisdom is that new hardware doesn't matter because the software is the same as ever, but I honestly feel like win10 mobile is on the verge of being special. It's better than 8.1 already in most respects and it's iterating at a good pace. By the end of this year, if MS hasn't shut it down, it's going to be a fantastic platform. I feel like the app situation will always be an issue, but that the power of using them in a big screen will be compelling to businesses and professionals. Maybe it will just be for old working stiffs like me, but my coworkers are starting to notice when I pull out my phone and go through my workflow.

And yes, I know that some of you are experiencing serious issues, I was too last month, but thankfully for me a hard reset and update fixed most everything, I hope at some point the same happens for folks like captive who love the platform.

Paganmoon

Hello WPGaf (?). My Lumia 820's screen just died and instead of replacing the screen I've decided to replace the whole phone. I've decided to stick with Windows Phone OS because I like how it syncs with whatever I'm doing on my computer too.

My question is, is the Lumia 950 worth the extra 400 (Aussie) dollars than the 930? I'm buying it out right because I'm on a prepaid sim since I don't use my phone enough to buy a contract. If you have any other suggestions please do tell!

Also obligatory pre-emptive apology if this is the wrong thread to ask this sort of question.

Hello and welcome! As you can see, we're sort of a pessimistic bunch here.

Anyway, personally, after checking how much 400 Aussie dollars corresponds to in Swedish krona, I'd say, for that amount, I'd go for the 950. Better processor, better screen, has glance, better camera, will and is getting the best support for windows 10.

Though keep in mind, if you're running Windows 8.1 on your PC, I'm not completely sure exactly what or even how much of your data will sync. I know you won't be getting PW sync from your PC running IE to your phone running Edge at least.
If you're running Win 10 on your PC, no problem.

ElNino

Nice. I've been waiting that long already. Did you get a shipping notification first?
I got mine pretty quick, within two weeks I think, but I ordered the day the phones were released.

To be honest though, as neat as it seems I'm trying to find a scenario where I would actually use it. On my office desk (at home), I already have a dock for my Surface Book so adding the Continuum dock would be a bit redundant I think. I've though about trying it on my family room TV, but again... how much better would using it there be than just using the Surface Book on my lap.

I've heard I works well as a dock for a Macbook (the one with only the USB-C port), but I don't know if it would work with my son's MBP though.

Anyway, personally, after checking how much 400 Aussie dollars corresponds to in Swedish krona, I'd say, for that amount, I'd go for the 950. Better processor, better screen, has glance, better camera, will and is getting the best support for windows 10.

Though keep in mind, if you're running Windows 8.1 on your PC, I'm not completely sure exactly what or even how much of your data will sync. I know you won't be getting PW sync from your PC running IE to your phone running Edge at least.
If you're running Win 10 on your PC, no problem

sorry guys, that was one of my features in 8.1. This is more because Edge didn't schlep the bookmarks/pw from Internet Explorer. CredVault is separated per process specifically to prevent other apps from stealing your passwords. It appears the teams didn't view that password handoff as integral for shipping :(.

For some reason I thought that they had roamed the credentials, but I may simply be remembering when they lit up Desktop Edge -> Phone Edge.

Doffen

Twist, it's an iOS phone by Microsoft.

AZlUUgl.gif

Brad Sams just said on his podcast what if MS didnt make the Surface Phone.

hGUH4PR.gif

sorry guys, that was one of my features in 8.1. This is more because Edge didn't schlep the bookmarks/pw from Internet Explorer. CredVault is separated per process specifically to prevent other apps from stealing your passwords. It appears the teams didn't view that password handoff as integral for shipping :(.

For some reason I thought that they had roamed the credentials, but I may simply be remembering when they lit up Desktop Edge -> Phone Edge.

I don't think the Edge team deemed much as integral for shipping. God, what an awful piece of software.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So Surface phone could be another Nexus? Made by LG, Huawei and others?

I highly doubt Microsoft would let other manufacturers taint its flagship.

I mean, it's not like the Surface line is flawless, but you don't want to leave the responsability of the first Surface Phone to Alcatel.

Doffen

I highly doubt Microsoft would let other manufacturers taint its flagship.

I mean, it's not like the Surface line is flawless, but you don't want to leave the responsability of the first Surface Phone to Alcatel.

Maybe they should let Nokia have a go at it?

dkoy

If you're running Win 10 on your PC, no problem.

Thanks for the advice! I can see what you mean by pessimism, looking at the last few posts. I'm running windows 10 on my laptop and desktop so it should be fine. Also, I didn't actually realise bookmarks and PWs sync between the Windows Phone and 10 browsers since I've been using chrome all along. I'll give it a try once I choose a phone.

hadareud

The Translator
Reading between the lines, my deduction is that the next Samsung flagship(s) will also be available with Windows 10 mobile.

Or something else entirely.

Reading between the lines, my deduction is that the next Samsung flagship(s) will also be available with Windows 10 mobile.

Or something else entirely.
I can see that. Samsung did pre-install MS apps in their last Galaxy phones. Maybe Samsung let's you choose whether or not you install Android or Windows?

Not a game changer but definitely an eye opener.

Doffen

I can see that. Samsung did pre-install MS apps in their last Galaxy phones. Maybe Samsung let's you choose whether or not you install Android or Windows?

Not a game changer but definitely an eye opener.
Would make someone want to try the platform. Now Microsoft just need to make people want to say.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If there is a Galaxy s7 phone with Windows 10 on it, I'm selling this phone and buying that in a heartbeat. The worst part of the Galaxy series is Android, at least the Samsung version of Android.

Paganmoon

Samsung version of Windows 10 instead?

Nice. I've been waiting that long already. Did you get a shipping notification first?

Yeah, a few days after I put in the order I got a shipping notification, this is in Sweden though, could be US had fewer devices/more orders.

Top Bottom