• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How did that work out when HTC tried it?

Yeah, HTC is doing great since they cut off Windows and went exclusive on Android. Gangbusters. Why would any company want to get off that gravy train?

In all seriousness, it behooves a technology company to spread the bet around. For Samsung, that means Tizen and WM10. MS probably kicks in some resources anyway, it's not an expensive gamble to take a done design and slap wm10 on it, they probably get it for free.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'd be up for a Galaxy phone with W10. I have a S6 Edge right now and the phone is nice but I really miss Windows OS. Android is pretty shitty.

cortana on andriod help. looks like google now hijacked my home button up swipe from cortana. can't seem to get it back. even uninstalled cortana and reinstalled and it didn't ask if i wanted cortana for the up swipe gesture, hmmm.

JaggedSac

All this supposed secret stuff getting revealed at MWC?

Trying to buy Lara Croft GO while it is on sale and the damn payment screen pops up and disappears immediately. Did it on phone originally so I figured I would just go to the computer and do it there. Turns out it does the exact same damn thing. Universal bugs platform.

frontieruk

cortana on andriod help. looks like google now hijacked my home button up swipe from cortana. can't seem to get it back. even uninstalled cortana and reinstalled and it didn't ask if i wanted cortana for the up swipe gesture, hmmm.

Settings / apps / cortana / clear defaults

Next time you swipe up it should add what you want to launch and do you want that as default

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just listened to Sam's podcast, looks like something is up.

We are starting to get hints, of NOTHING. The next thing that will save WP LOL

but in all seriousness, as I said it before this year could be a year where we see what Nadella is planning to do with Mobile. Last year Ballmer's strategy was not working and they changed the it to three model devices, but I don't think he knew the magnitude of how fucked they are in mobile space. So I am guessing they will either kill it or some genius strategy where they can sustain profitable but Mac like business going.

I just don't want to get excited at this point. But looking forward to next couple of months where stuff leaks out.

joshschw

Okay, so Microsoft Store kindly let me return the busted Fitbit even four months later. No hassles! Awesome! I picked upa Band 2 for $199, so it cost me like $50 or so. More than I wanted, but my Fitbit was 100% useless so it was worth it.

We will see how this works out. The Microsoft Health app is so bad though. Ugly, not intuitive and so so slow.

JaggedSac

Like the new Hulu app. Supposedly you can use Cortana to open it and watch a show(Hulu watch modern family) but it didn't work for me. That functionality needs to hit the Bone. That would be great.

joshschw

Okay, so Microsoft Store kindly let me return the busted Fitbit even four months later. No hassles! Awesome! I picked upa Band 2 for $199, so it cost me like $50 or so. More than I wanted, but my Fitbit was 100% useless so it was worth it.

We will see how this works out. The Microsoft Health app is so bad though. Ugly, not intuitive and so so slow.

Some weird stuff. It doesn't seem to connect very well to Cortana. Says it's busy, or it can't connect.

Also what is the point of the keyboard and typing messages on this thing. More time coding connection issues and less that, please!!

NeOak

Some weird stuff. It doesn't seem to connect very well to Cortana. Says it's busy, or it can't connect.

Also what is the point of the keyboard and typing messages on this thing. More time coding connection issues and less that, please!!

Cortana is wonky with W10M.

Works perfectly fine with WP8.1 however.

Paganmoon

Must say, Windows hello is so much faster lately. Starting to use it more and more now.
Though, it simply does not work in the morning when I wake up, pick up the phone and try to unlock it (while still in bed). Wondering how it'll work when you're superdrunk.

Why the hell does that have a (fake) metal rim and the 950 does not? MS, you still baffle me...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just listened to Sam's podcast, looks like something is up.

We are starting to get hints, of NOTHING. The next thing that will save WP LOL

but in all seriousness, as I said it before this year could be a year where we see what Nadella is planning to do with Mobile. Last year Ballmer's strategy was not working and they changed the it to three model devices, but I don't think he knew the magnitude of how fucked they are in mobile space. So I am guessing they will either kill it or some genius strategy where they can sustain profitable but Mac like business going.

I just don't want to get excited at this point. But looking forward to next couple of months where stuff leaks out.

Moving Windows Phone to a Mac scenario in which Microsoft makes great hardware with some unique features would be an interesting idea. I could honestly envision a future in which Microsoft makes most of its money from Microsoft apps and services for iOS and Android while keeping a few halo devices such as the Surface Phone focusing on enterprise and offering a few unique features.

Alas, that would mean doing away with the mass market and killing any interest in developing mobile first apps and missing the boat on whatever becomes the next big thing. Instagram, Tinder, WhatsApp... nearly all the most influential apps of today were mobile born. And good luck retaining support for those that were already released for Windows once you kill your already small user base by going the pro route.

The Windows mobile situation has never been more dire.

How to safely remove any private data from WM phone before selling it ?

Is there any kind of data cleaner that would write 0s and 1s few times over whole flash storage to make data recovery problematic ?

Tablo

Hmmm curious about the rumored HP flagship, gonna have the weigh that vs the 650 when/if they hit the states.
over 5" kinda big tho and I'm not convinced w10m is worth blowing flagship money on yet... pls convince me otherwise MS...

Hmmm curious about the rumored HP flagship, gonna have the weigh that vs the 650 when/if they hit the states.
over 5" kinda big tho and I'm not convinced w10m is worth blowing flagship money on yet... pls convince me otherwise MS...

What is it going to do that you can't get otherwise?

What exactly is the search bar supposed to do within settings? I wanted to look at the setting for nl-alert (a cell broadcast service in the Netherlands) so I typed alert in the searchbar, but no results. Had to google where the option is hidden, it was under system > messaging > 'Change emergency alert settings' > NL-Alerts.

Paganmoon

noticed the 650 doesn't have the silly and ugly little hole on the bottom part of the bezel for the microphone either. Instead a wide rectangle opening...

Seriously, it looks a lot better than the 950.

Besides, I've had some crap (think it's sand or something) stuck inside the microphone hole of my 950 since a few weeks after I got it, and it's been annoying the shit out of me.

hwalker84

Any deeper suggestions for recovering me Lumia 635? It had an old build of WM10 so I hit update. Now the gears are spinning for a few seconds and then going to the frowny face :-(.

WDRT 3.1.6 isn't detecting the phone at all.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so i did a hard reset on my phone thinking that it would help. Now i cant get stuff back on my phone because its not recognized at all when i plug it into my windows machine. Mind you i backed it all up manually onto my windows machine before i did the hard reset. The phone is recognized that its plugged in cause it gives me the "your device is charging too slowly" error message.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
so i did a hard reset on my phone thinking that it would help. Now i cant get stuff back on my phone because its not recognized at all when i plug it into my windows machine. Mind you i backed it all up manually onto my windows machine before i did the hard reset. The phone is recognized that its plugged in cause it gives me the "your device is charging too slowly" error message.

I'm not trying to scare you, but my 930 died unexpectedly and I was never able to recover it. My PC recognizes it, but the screen doesn't come on and the recovery tools didn't work. I'd take it to an MS store, that's an option I never had since it's an international model.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm not trying to scare you, but my 930 died unexpectedly and I was never able to recover it. My PC recognizes it, but the screen doesn't come on and the recovery tools didn't work. I'd take it to an MS store, that's an option I never had since it's an international model.

im not scared i have everything backed up and the phone is working fine, im just trying to get stuff back on the phone. Which im doing through one drive. Would be faster if i could just you know, plug it in via USB.

joshschw

Any deeper suggestions for recovering me Lumia 635? It had an old build of WM10 so I hit update. Now the gears are spinning for a few seconds and then going to the frowny face :-(.

WDRT 3.1.6 isn't detecting the phone at all.

If you let it sit for a while does anything pop up? I had this issue with a busted Lumia 820 and eventually it found something and restored it somehow but it never showed that it was a 820 during this. Just some internal model num

Top Bottom