• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

You people complain a lot about the keyboard on Android but that's totally solvable with others keyboards.

But why doesn't anyone talk about the contact experience? Jesus Christ, it is absolutely terrible compared to the people app. And for some reason even the contacts on my surface are now split.

I've mentioned it a few times here, and yeah WP handles contacts way better than Android

Nander

Download MS Arrow.

I went from my Lumia to a Priv and while I've been happy with it (love, love, love the keyboard) it has gotten slower with time.

Switching to the Arrow launcher (and putting it in "performance mode") immediately made it so much smoother! I don't know if it's placebo, but even Snapchat which was a laggy mess before on the Priv feels kinda fast now.

Amazing! Thanks for the tip!

gamz

How it works? I tried joining, but it takes me to a g+ page about the beta program.

Right now it says I'm awaiting for approval.

Huh? I don't have my phone on me but it was a option in settings. I never had to wait for approval. Unless they changed it.

gamz

I went from my Lumia to a Priv and while I've been happy with it (love, love, love the keyboard) it has gotten slower with time.

Switching to the Arrow launcher (and putting it in "performance mode") immediately made it so much smoother! I don't know if it's placebo, but even Snapchat which was a laggy mess before on the Priv feels kinda fast now.

Amazing! Thanks for the tip!

And it looks so much better. It's a great launcher and they update the hell out of it. Keeps getting better. There's a beta out now for Android tabs.

clav

Passed by a MS store recently, and I see that MS is trying really hard to promote VR.

They have people demoing a HTC Vive setup running under some Windows app.

Huh? I don't have my phone on me but it was a option in settings. I never had to wait for approval. Unless they changed it.
The button on settings get to this pop up:

YXIjqIt.png

And after clicking join:

hadareud

The Translator
My Moto G4 just got the Nougat update.

Only 7 months after its initial release. The update situation is now so good that on the flagships it takes even less time to get an upgrade to an already outdated again OS version.

Cannot wait for Windows 10 mobile to die so I can enjoy the same level of support on my main phone, too.

jstripes

Banned
Goodbye WP/WM. Get my OnePlus 3T tomorrow. Was a nice ride.

I got my wife an iPhone 6S last month to replace her sluggish and buggy Lumia 1020. She was resistant to the idea at first, but she adapted quickly and is so much happier with it.

WP was a decent OS with some good ideas, but Microsoft had no clue what to do with it.

I got my wife an iPhone 6S last month to replace her sluggish and buggy Lumia 1020. She was resistant to the idea at first, but she adapted quickly and is so much happier with it.

WP was a decent OS with some good ideas, but Microsoft had no clue what to do with it.
It's still insane to me how they ignored the European market after gaining 10%+ market share in some countries. Instead they had this bone headed focus on the US market, offered no new features in Europe and lost any meaningful momentum they had.

It's infuriating.

It's still insane to me how they ignored the European market after gaining 10%+ market share in some countries. Instead they had this bone headed focus on the US market, offered no new features in Europe and lost any meaningful momentum they had.

It's infuriating.

;_;

Now I'm hacking stuff for IoT instead of Phone.

Well, at least now my side projects can entertain my cats instead of just me.

Just when I leave the acknowledge my two main issues with win mobile. Onedrive not being reliable regarding uploads and the constant refresh of some pages in Edge.

At least it's going to get fixed, good to know if I ever come back.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What I miss most of all (having bounced around with Android and iPhone since leaving WP):

-Home screen layout with live tiles is the superior UI for me. iOS home screen is garbage and Android is ugly, even with skins.

-the Nokia cameras. The stuff on 1020 and 930 were ahead of their time. Even the 950/xl had great imaging tech. Still don't understand the praise iPhone cameras get. The one on my 7 is hot garbage with the limited field of view, lens flare, and low mp/detail.

-WP keyboard. This one's not as big a deal as it was even a year or two ago. iOS and Android alternate keyboards have gotten REALLY good lately, but I still love the layout, simplicity, and accuracy of the WP keyboard.

That's probably it. I don't see how or why I would ever return to the platform. It's dead. But when I watch a movie/show/music video from 2-5 years ago when Nokia was paying for product placement and see the WP interface, I still feel nostalgic. I had a good run with the platform.

It's a very sad trajectory for the platform that always get shafted by bad timing of things not being ready when they should or Ms changing course.

Even now I don't think it's dead, we are probably just in that same weird state of the platform being on life support because the next thing (full windows on all devices with a mutant shell that adapts to mobile and other devices ) isn't ready yet.

For all Ms apps on Android why would they skimp on groove? It's absolutely terrible and it's driving me to switch to Spotify.

Because Groove is not a priority. It's just there, much like TV & Movies and the eBook store within the Windows Store that's going to be used by nobody, because it's tied to the Windows Store.

I think it was Thurrott who said it a couple of weeks ago. The Windows Store is the dollar store of app stores.

jstripes

Banned
It's a very sad trajectory for the platform that always get shafted by bad timing of things not being ready when they should or Ms changing course.

Even now I don't think it's dead, we are probably just in that same weird state of the platform being on life support because the next thing (full windows on all devices with a mutant shell that adapts to mobile and other devices ) isn't ready yet.

The question is, aside from enterprise, will people still care about "Full Windows" when a device like that is finally released?

Because Groove is not a priority. It's just there, much like TV & Movies and the eBook store within the Windows Store that's going to be used by nobody, because it's tied to the Windows Store.

I think it was Thurrott who said it a couple of weeks ago. The Windows Store is the dollar store of app stores.

Groove on Windows is very good though, it's the Android version that sucks (agreed that it's not a priority in general though).

NeOak

AT&T stopped offering Windows Phones of any type in their website. They had stopped carrying the 950 for a while but still carried the 640 XL before bringing the 950 back for a while.

clav

AT&T stopped offering Windows Phones of any type in their website. They had stopped carrying the 950 for a while but still carried the 640 XL before bringing the 950 back for a while.
Dead......the platform
State of Windows Phone from a user standpoint: https://youtu.be/4xup4OMYCvY

Looks like OneCore isn't complete because vertical integration is still not working (deploy on all platforms).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's a death spiral. You have HP out there basically with the only device that's relatively recent. The lack of interest couldn't be more evident.

hwalker84

It's a death spiral. You have HP out there basically with the only device that's relatively recent. The lack of interest couldn't be more evident.

It's just a damn shame. My friend called me yesterday saying how much he misses his 1520. How bad he wished MS didn't screw this whole thing up and he was a diehard Android guy.

i still think MS can right the ship by offering every single one of their apps and some WP features on Android; Maps, Outlook, Office, Groove, Movies & TV, Live Tiles, etc. then make sure every one of those apps is just as good or better than their Google counterparts. make it so the consumer is basically using a Windows Phone. then release true WP hardware, a low end 6XX and a high end 10XX phone with a class leading camera as is differentiator.

That time has likely passed though and only Apple and Samsung make money off hardware.

BTW, any one get Cortana to work as the default assistant in Android Nougot?

The question is, aside from enterprise, will people still care about "Full Windows" when a device like that is finally released?
That's the million dollar question lol.

I think they believe that if people use it on their jobs they will eventually use it on their free time as well, like it happened with the personal computer really, but that's a thoughter sell when the competition is so much stronger, and even on enterprise already.

Looks like OneCore isn't complete because vertical integration is still not working (deploy on all platforms).
Probably, even Ms isn't deploying many features on winphone yet.

Editing in photos app, extensions on edge, blue light, paint3d, to name a few.

clav

There are more parallels with Xbox + Windows PC at this point. Insiders practically get the same builds in both environments.

Paganmoon

I have to say, after reading the Android OT for a while, waiting for the new phones to arrive, I'm starting to think maybe, just maybe, I should just go iPhone instead...

derFeef

I am looking into smaller Android phones as well :(
My SO is frustrated with her 635 and 8.1 understandably, but she's one of those "if it's still working" type of people.

Zeknurn

I've been looking at Android phones for the last six months or so but I never make the jump because Android doesn't look appealing at all.

All I want is Windows 10 Mobile with the ability to run Android apps.

o7 lastflowers

GHG

I dropped my 950 in a car park last week and shattered the screen.

I was sad for about the 5 minutes it took for me to realise I'm going to be relieved of the shitshow that is the windows phone OS and can now get an android phone.

Just got the Huawei P9 because I can't do without a good camera on my phone.

Byebitch.gif doesn't even begin to sum up my feelings.

derFeef

I have not seen any appealing Android phones yet for me. I don't want a Samsung and every other company is just making big ass phones. Even the iPhone 7 looks better to me. Small, looks nice, fast. But their cable bullshit is something I do not want to support.

It's sad that this is happening. :-(

I really understand what you guys are saying, but it's funny that no Android phone seems appealing when y'all are championing garbage like the 950 series, which is as boring, unremarkable and cookie cutter as phones can get.

derFeef

I really understand what you guys are saying, but it's funny that no Android phone seems appealing when y'all are championing garbage like the 950 series, which is as boring, unremarkable and cookie cutter as phones can get.

That's nothing got to do with the 950, it's (in my case) change of perspective, cost, and usability. I want a <5" phone that's reasonably priced with a not to bad of a screen and camera. And not a Samsung.

Paganmoon

For me it's got to do with the Android OT being more jaded than this OT at times :). Both Huawei and Samsung, hell even the new Sony ZX premium are interesting to me.

NeOak

I'll probably get a Keyone if the battery life is really good.

I don't mind it being a SD625 as long as I don't have to chase an AC outlet or have to keep external batteries.

I wanna chime in and say again how my Honor 8 continues to impress me week after week. It upgraded to Nougot and is just as fast as when it was new. Unlike the Samsung phones that are reporting big performance drops after the Nougot update. Battery has always been solid but the new split screen feature does drain the battery faster, which is expected when watching YouTube and browsing on the same screen. Notifications and permissions are annoying at first but once they're set then the phone is good. I also hide apps that I can't delete using the Nova Launcher.

Honor 8 by far is the best sub $400 at the moment.

Top Bottom