• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is the 1520.3

And here is the ATT variant

I thought the 3 contacts on the bottom were for the charger?

The entire point of wireless (Qi) charging is that there are no contacts to align. You just plop the phone down on the charger, and it starts charging right through the back of the phone using electromagnetic induction. Very convenient.

The connectors are for charging shell or case. I am not sure but I think you can get PowerMat case for At&t version. One of the reason I have not gotten the LG G3 yet because I don't know if At&t version will be compatible with Qi case. I don't want to replace all my chargers.

kharma45

Why dude? I mean... the Z3 is just around the corner.

It was £256, buying it outright is usually £470. I could probably flip it for a profit straight away when it arrives. Too hard to pass up at that money.

Terrible choice.

It wasn't my first, second, or even third choice for an Android phone but it was cheap. If it's crap I'll move it on and go back to looking at the One M8, G3 and N5 but if it's not it'll keep me going until the new iPhone.

Montresor

I think both myself and my dad got screwed hardcore with our Nokia Lumia 1520 purchases.

I didn't realize that Nokia Lumia 1520 had variants. Side note - do all phones have these variants specific to different regions and carriers?

Anyway, I have Nokia Lumia 1520 variant RM-938 which apparently does not support 4G/LTE. What a complete goat fuck. Not that it should affect me much - I have had the phone for the past couple of weeks, and have greatly enjoyed it. I haven't had issues taking calls, sending texts, or using my data plan. But sometimes I do see H+ in the top left of my phone - I don't know what's that about. Sometimes I see 3G - that's good news. But I realized I don't think I've ever seen LTE/4G.

Anyway, I'm not too negatively affected, as my phone works.

My dad bought himself a Nokia Lumia 1520, but his phone is the RM-937 variant, and it isn't working with his Wind Mobile sim card. So disappointing.

I guess this is a warning to all y'all to do the following whenver you purchase a new phone:

1) Find out what bands your carrier requires
2) Find out what bands the phone you're purchasing supports. Most importantly, do not simply accept an answer like "iPhone6 supports these bands" or "Nokia Lumia 1520 supports these bands", because those statements do not specify the phone's variant. Unbeknownst to me before today, these phones have "variants" which each support different bands. Before pulling the trigger on any purchase you need to be able to confidently say something like "Nokai Lumia 1520 <insert name of variant here> supports these bands".

You guys probably already knew this stuff but I didn't.

Montresor

Also, can anyone help me intelligently interpret this information for Nokia Lumia 1520?

This page says that the following bands are supported: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Nokia-Lumia-1520,Nokia-Lumia-920/phones/8109,7471

GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS: 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz
FDD LTE: 800 (band 20), 900 (band 8), 1800 (band 3), 2100 (band 1), 2600 (band 7) MHz
Data: LTE Cat4 Downlink 150 Mbit/s, LTE Cat3/4 Uplink 50 Mbit/s, HSDPA+ (4G) 42.2 Mbit/s, HSUPA 11 Mbit/s

1) First of all, this is an incomplete table right? I already found out (too late, unfortunately), that Nokia Lumia 1520 has different variants which each support different bands. Therefore this table is missing extra information that distinguishes between each Nokia Lumia 1520 variant.

2) Second, when I called Wind Mobile, they said they support bands 1700 or 2100. I asked the lady if this means that to use Wind Mobile, we have to have a phone that supports "1700 and 2100" or "1700 or 2100" and she insisted it was "1700 or 2100". My first question is: this is surely incomplete information from her, right? Look at the above table. Bands are preceded by those incomprehensible letters. There's GSM 850. UMTS 850. What does it even mean when the lady at Wind Mobile says they support bands "1700 or 2100". I tried to get her to tell me if it's for GSM or FDD LTE and she could not clarify.

Boo... I'm confused and cranky. I would appreciate it if anyone could set me right and at least provide me with some reading material to properly educate myself on this topic.

Yes many of the phone have variants and there are a lot of compatibility you need to look at. That's why I am holding off on At&T G3, they are using the PowerMat instead of Qi and I have a feeling their version of the phone is not going to be compatible with Qi case. The Qi version of the phone from Korea is not compatible with At&t LTE band so I can't buy off-contract GSM version of the LG G3. Knowing At&t I am sure they pull of kind of shenanigan to ensure that accessories or whatever is only compatible with their phones. Some of the cases and battery also get changed so you have to be extra careful when importing phone from another regions.

Also, can anyone help me intelligently interpret this information for Nokia Lumia 1520?

This page says that the following bands are supported: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Nokia-Lumia-1520,Nokia-Lumia-920/phones/8109,7471

FDD LTE: 800 (band 18), 900 (band 8), 1800 (band 3), 2100 (band 1), 2600 (band 7) MHz
Data: LTE Cat3 Downlink 100 Mbit/s, LTE Cat3/4 Uplink 50 Mbit/s, HSDPA+ (4G) 42.2 Mbit/s, HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s, UMTS, EDGE, GPRS

1) First of all, this is an incomplete table right? I already found out (too late, unfortunately), that Nokia Lumia 1520 has different variants which each support different bands. Therefore this table is missing extra information that distinguishes between each Nokia Lumia 1520 variant.

2) Second, when I called Wind Mobile, they said they support bands 1700 or 2100. I asked the lady if this means that to use Wind Mobile, we have to have a phone that supports "1700 and 2100" or "1700 or 2100" and she insisted it was "1700 or 2100". My first question is: this is surely incomplete information from her, right? Look at the above table. Bands are preceded by those incomprehensible letters. There's GSM 850. UMTS 850. What does it even mean when the lady at Wind Mobile says they support bands "1700 or 2100". I tried to get her to tell me if it's for GSM or FDD LTE and she could not clarify.

Boo... I'm confused and cranky. I would appreciate it if anyone could set me right and at least provide me with some reading material to properly educate myself on this topic.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_1520-5760.php

I usually check there for all the variants but I really don't know how accurate their info are.

From GSMArena

RM-937 - global version
RM-938 - US version
RM-939 - WCDMA HSPA+ version
RM-940 - AT&T version

General
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - RM-937, RM-939, RM-940
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - RM-938
4G Network LTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 - RM-937
LTE 700 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 - RM-938, RM-940
SIM Nano-SIM
Announced 2013, October
Status Available. Released 2013, November

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am so annoyed, I really want the 930 but it is not coming to 3 in the UK!

I guess my only other choice is buying it SIM free and then getting a 3 SIM only contract. But that is quite expensive...

Ape

Banned
I found an online shop selling the red Nexus 5 for 315 bucks.

So tempting, guys!

Go for it. I'm holding off until the iPhone 6 for any new phone purchases. My 920 has been good to me, but it has been acting up and with nothing on the horizon it's about time I get a new phone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am so annoyed, I really want the 930 but it is not coming to 3 in the UK!

I guess my only other choice is buying it SIM free and then getting a 3 SIM only contract. But that is quite expensive...

Do the sums over the 2 years you'd have a contract - you might be better off overall (but obviously need to pay more up front)

One by one, we are dropping, the last bastion of WP is dying, will we all be moving over to AndroidGaf OT in shame by the end of the year? The future seems bleak.

We have a brand new OS and not even a new OT for it. If that isn't telling, then I don't k ow what is.

Has it gone "gold"? Haven't heard anything about it, if it has, where's my Lumia firmware update??

It went "gold" a long time ago, but I think the rollout of the firmware update hasn't begun yet. I think it's this week for the Cyan update. The 630 and 930 have it already.

As for the thread, last thing I've heard is that it's about to hit beta. But I'd have to ask my source again.

Paganmoon

I'm expecting a thesis, or case study or something for WP sometime in the future, titled: "How to kill a decent brand". Could add a specific chapter about Surface in it as well.

Seriously, MS sucks at marketing... Remember Vista's "The WOW starts now?" (alluding from what I gathered to SYSWOW64, that is, 64 bit native OS).

And ok, it went Gold long time ago, I'm guessing with the Devpreview pretty much, but damnit MS, a new OS is out, where's the pomp, and fanfare?

I'm expecting a thesis, or case study or something for WP sometime in the future, titled: "How to kill a decent brand". Could add a specific chapter about Surface in it as well.

Seriously, MS sucks at marketing... Remember Vista's "The WOW starts now?" (alluding from what I gathered to SYSWOW64, that is, 64 bit native OS).

And ok, it went Gold long time ago, I'm guessing with the Devpreview pretty much, but damnit MS, a new OS is out, where's the pomp, and fanfare?

What good is fanfare and marketing, when you don't have decent devices to offer.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
This may be a stupid question but it has been bugging me for a while, is there a way to pin Bing Vision to the start screen? I used to use it quite a lot before Cortana took over my search button.

It is such a pain to navigate to the lenses.

NeOak

FDD LTE: 800 (band 20), 900 (band 8), 1800 (band 3), 2100 (band 1), 2600 (band 7) MHz
Data: LTE Cat4 Downlink 150 Mbit/s, LTE Cat3/4 Uplink 50 Mbit/s, HSDPA+ (4G) 42.2 Mbit/s, HSUPA 11 Mbit/s

Oh god. Man, you are really fucked.

2G/GSM has 4 bands worldwide. 850,900,1800,1900.

3G/UMTS and 3.5G/HSPA have six, adding 1700 (AWS) to the 4 2G/GSM ones and using 2100 as standard across Europe and Asia.

4G/LTE/LTE-A have 26. Yes, twenty fucking six bands worldwide. Check Wikipedia for the list.

What your dad needs to get is the 1520.3. That's the RM-938 because the RM-940 is the nerfed AT&T variant. As to why it doesn't work with your carrier, do they use the same LTE bands?

International variants don't have the LTE bands that are used in the American continent. This is because most countries here follow what the FCC says to make sure stuff bought in the US just works in the rest.

Paganmoon

wooohoooo

I've always wondered, do you actually work with/for the WP team, or just have connections?

This may be a stupid question but it has been bugging me for a while, is there a way to pin Bing Vision to the start screen? I used to use it quite a lot before Cortana took over my search button.

It is such a pain to navigate to the lenses.

There's an app apps on the store that make tiles for it:

QR For cortana

Razdek

Banned
One by one, we are dropping, the last bastion of WP is dying, will we all be moving over to AndroidGaf OT in shame by the end of the year? The future seems bleak.

One can argue that Microsoft doesn't even need Windows Phone in order to be successful in mobile.

hwalker84

I've always wondered, do you actually work with/for the WP team, or just have connections?
He's the only member of the team working under Joe Belfiore. He has two unpaid french interns that work under him. In their spare time the interns code the Xbox Music app.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am looking to purchase a Windows phone, I currently have Galaxy 2 for work and I really dislike android. I have an Iphone for personal use but I am tired of carrying 2 phones around so I am getting ride of the Droid, because I just don't like it. The problem is the iphone is terrible for work. I think a windows phone would be best for me. My question is I know know much about the phones available. What should I look into? I like to do a lot of research before I make a purchase. AT&T is the provider for me.

Paganmoon

For 8.0 and 8.1, this is the general area in which I worked: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42509

Now, I am have splintered off into another awesome team that, unfortunately, I cannot talk about. I'm still part of the OS group under Terry (so I have large access to phone) but no longer developing the WP OS.

so is Microsoft taking WP out back, or you know, sending it to a farm upstate or something? what's going on?

yeah I know I'm the first one to ask this right, and you'll be happy to answer, right? :)

so is Microsoft taking WP out back, or you know, sending it to a farm upstate or something? what's going on?

yeah I know I'm the first one to ask this right, and you'll be happy to answer, right? :)

no. My change in scenery was simply because now was the opportune time. It's really easy to shoehorn yourself into an area like security, and it was something that I'm not sure I want to do for a long time. The time spent was certainly worth it, as I've grown a greater appreciation for the fragility of the modern state of security (large swathes of research done on open-source products, hardware, websites, etc etc).

Nearly all of my colleagues will still be working either primarily or with split effort on WP. The new OS Group organization under Terry and intiated by Ballmer's One Microsoft is a lot more integrated than before. That, of course, is possible due to the alignment of WP kernel and Xbox OS's inherent similarity to Windows8. The groups can develop things more easily to work for all three platforms. All that I can really say without treading into deeper waters

MechDX

My Lumia 900 is really starting to struggle. I have an upgrade from AT&T ready but I cant bite on the 1020 even though it is a .01 upgrade. Now Amazon has the LG G3 and the HTC One M8 both for $99 with an upgrade.

I want to stick with Windows phone but I don't know if my 900 will make it. Any news on what new Lumias are on the immediate horizon

hadareud

The Translator
My Lumia 900 is really starting to struggle. I have an upgrade from AT&T ready but I cant bite on the 1020 even though it is a .01 upgrade. Now Amazon has the LG G3 and the HTC One M8 both for $99 with an upgrade.

I want to stick with Windows phone but I don't know if my 900 will make it. Any news on what new Lumias are on the immediate horizon

Get a cheap stop-gap (ie 630) and then upgrade to the Mclaren in November.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

930?

hwalker84

Damn if Flowers isn't on the windows phone team anymore then there's truly no hope anymore. Time to pack it up WPGaf he was the whole team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom