• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
16znTrm.png

If you're new to Windows Phone, I suggest you read the excellent Windows Phone |OT3| by Anton Sugar. It should contain all the information you need.
This is just a stop-gap solution, because we reached the 20.000 post limit, before Microsoft put out a new, full OS release.

Update 3, formerly known as GDR3 or General Distribution Release 3, is Microsoft's latest interim update for their mobile operating system Windows Phone 8.
Like the two updates before it, Update 3 only adds some small enhancements and fixes to the OS, including some long requested user features like rotation lock and the ability to close apps in the app switcher.

Here's the complete list of changes:

6RY5Re7.png

OS version: 8.0.10501.127, 8.0.10512.142, or 8.0.10521.155*

Accessibility. We've made several improvements for customers who are visually impaired.

Storage. Now you can easily free up storage space on your phone and manage temporary files. New categories show what's taking up space.

Driving Mode. Feeling distracted behind the wheel? Driving Mode allows you to minimize incoming calls and text messages to help you focus on the road.

Screen. Reading emails in bed? You can lock your screen orientation so it doesn't shift when you move your phone around.

Wi-Fi. Start preserving cellular data on your phone right out of the box—you can now connect to Wi-Fi during set up.

Internet sharing. Now you can use your phone’s cellular data connection from your Microsoft Windows 8.1 devices by pairing them over Bluetooth.

Bluetooth. Several fixes were made to address known issues, and improvements were made to connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.

Ringtones. Do more with ringtones now. Assign ringtones for text messages, so you'll know who's texting you without even looking. Use your custom ringtones for more things—text messages, instant messages, emails, voicemail, and reminders.

App switcher. Don't look back. Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you're finished with them.

Other improvements.
Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

*Your update version number depends on your specific phone model and mobile operator.

fpebDQB.png

But wait! Don't leave this thread disappointed like that. There is more!

Update 3 also adds support for 1080p displays and quad-core SoCs, like the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800. With Update 3, new Windows Phones are finally on par with the current batch of Android phones for at least 3 months. If you like really big phones, that is.

Big ass phones, or phablets as they seem to be called these days, are all the rage now. And to make use of those gigantic screens, Microsoft added another column of tiles to the home screen. From now on, Windows Phones with 5" screens or bigger, can display another extra set of live tiles. Because you can never be updated and live enough.

Anyway, here's the current Windows Phone line-up.

w0niCpC.png

AySLF90.png

7207mlep.png

J0dqOoS.png

928wosde.png

f8gJ48o.png

m3bNzsY.png

RSjm43G.png

I know, I know. "But brot, what about the other manufacturers?" What other manufacturers? They don't matter. They don't care, Microsoft doesn't care and they suck anyway. If you want a Windows Phone, get a Nokia. Period.
Unless you're on Sprint in the US. Then you have no other choice than getting some shitty HTC 8XT or Samsung ATIV S Neo or whatever. In that case, don't get a Windows Phone. Seriously.
And if you're wondering what the difference between the Lumia 520 and the Lumia 525 is, it's only the +512 MB of RAM on the 525. I know, that's just as disappointing as the lack of news about Windows Phone 8.1.

While the lack of a major OS release this Fall is disappointing, you should know that the Windows Phone team is hard at work to release the next major version in a timely manner and as soon as possible.
And when that happens, this OS will get a proper Official Thread again. Until then …

73lwMmi.jpg

I know, I know. "But brot, what about the other manufacturers?" What other manufacturers? They don't matter. They don't care, Microsoft doesn't care and they suck anyway. If you want a Windows Phone, get a Nokia. Period.
Unless you're on Sprint in the US. Then you have no other choice than getting some shitty HTC 8XT or Samsung ATIV S Neo or whatever. In that case, don't get a Windows Phone. Seriously.

:lol It's sad and hilarious how true this is.

hadareud

The Translator
Excellent thread Brot.

Though I am a bit disappointed that you didn't use my thread title suggestion "Fork off" or at least "Forking Android".

Wasn't the new Ativ phone decent? I think perhaps even Samsung could still turn things around, but that's about it.

The Ativ S is actually really decent and really, really cheap off-contract, but the biggest draw for the Lumias are the exclusive Nokia apps. Even though they stopped getting as many big apps as they did before.

And yes, Samsung could absolutely turn things around, if they'd put some Galaxy marketing money behind the phones. But they won't.

Milchjon

God, is every thread on Gaming shit now?

Even something as simple as San Andreas leads to tons of

"Android has to wait? Apple moneyhats"

"No 3DS????"

"Phone gaming is shit!!! Why is anyone excited about this?"

"moneyhats" is my least favorite meme of the year.

hwalker84

The Ativ S is actually really decent and really, really cheap off-contract, but the biggest draw for the Lumias are the exclusive Nokia apps. Even though they stopped getting as many big apps as they did before.

And yes, Samsung could absolutely turn things around, if they'd put some Galaxy marketing money behind the phones. But they won't.
Yep. If it was called the Samsung Galaxy W or Samsung Galaxy S4w they'd sell more than the 520.

kazinova

Oh man, I can post on page 1?!?! So excite!

But seriously, Angry Birds Go is garbage right? I'm not sure how I feel yet but it's on the turdy side of things so far.

PG2G

Just read on wmpoweruser that the pedometer only works on the Lumia 1520. That's too bad, was looking forward to that.

Fox Mulder

Oh man, I can post on page 1?!?! So excite!

But seriously, Angry Birds Go is garbage right? I'm not sure how I feel yet but it's on the turdy side of things so far.

I wouldn't call it garbage.

I'm still feeling out the f2p stuff. Your birds get tired after a bit, but you earn more to cycle around. You can upgrade your kart, but they appear to have different limits and it looks like you have to buy better ones to be able to upgrade them further.

I was expecting more rovio presentation though. The graphics could be better and the music isn't as catchy.

ReRixo

Banned
Am I the only one who wants more UI updates? The interface started out gorgeous, but seeing it scaled to bigger phones looks really messy...

Also, any rumours of what will be in 8.1?

PG2G

WPCentral is suggesting we'll see both FitBit and Jawbone apps in early 2014. I guess the Nokia Bluetooth LE updates will enable this.

so did every other handset maker stopped making windows phone?

I'd say so, yes.

After the Windows Phone 8 launch in November last year, HTC released only one more phone, that is a weird low-end mix of their two 2012 phones and for Sprint only. Samsung repackaged their 2012 Windows Phone for Sprint, too. Then you have Huawei, who released two low-end phones with 800x480 screens since November 2012 (Ascent W1 and W2).

Nokia is the only manufacturer that released new phones, which take advantage of the new supported hardware in Update 3 (namely quad-cores and 1080p displays).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom