• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

Fredrik

You're complaining that people might think Xbox One X is a new gen console, yet you propose they should have called it Xbox X, and the games should have been labeled "also playable on Xbox One"...? That's would work completely against your argument..
1. Xbox One S and Xbox One X suggest the same family, Xbox One
1.1 Xbox One and Xbox X sound like two different consoles

2. "Xbox One X enhaced" suggest that the game you're holding is enhaced for the Xbox One X
2.1 "Also playable on Xbox One" suggests that there are games that aren't also playable on Xbox One, which isn't true.

The naming is fine.
Yeah but apparently some already think it is a new generation console, naming it Xbox X and relabelling the games would let them do exclusives if they wanted to and would help the marketing for X if "Also available on Xbox One" instead of "Enhanced for Xbox One X" would be in the fineprint.

Anyway, it is what it is now and it seems to do well either way. And like I said, strategically it serves a purpose to downplay the next gen talk now to leave more room for hyping up that bit when Xbox Two arrives after PS5. Hardwarewise MS has planned this very very well. Sony basically can't come out on top powerwise until this off sync scenario ends, they're forced to go first in with PS5 to not let the "World's most powerful console" linger too long and MS can go in a year after again with a more powerful box and hype that just like they've done with X over Pro.

I guess Sony can start putting more effort in PS4 Pro. ie. price drop for an ez comeback. It was rather limited in quantity and limited in marketing.

Kudos to XBX, although i still feel its a little too late, too expensive for it to hit a stride.

PS4 Pro definitely needs a revision to bump up the build quality and improve the aesthetic (and maybe add a UHD player). Or, yes, it needs a price drop. I'll never jump in on the current design at $400. But I am willing to jump in on X1X at $500 because it is clearly a much better engineered/designed "premium" feeling product. Edit: Granted, I'm getting one X1X for only $14 after Gamestop trade-in credit...lol...but I'm picking up a second X1X for closer to full retail from Amazon. More to the point, without even thinking about it I was willing to "buy in" on X1X (with trade credit or otherwise), whereas I didn't like the hardware design of the Pro enough to bother upgrading my base PS4.

Renekton

PS4 Pro definitely needs a revision to bump up the quality and improve the aesthetic (and maybe add a UHD player). Or, yes, it needs a price drop. I'll never jump in on the current design at $400. But I am willing to jump in on X1X at $500 because it is clearly a much better engineered/designed "premium" feeling product.
I'm not sure they need to do either, business-wise. Our individual personal preference may not be representative of general consumers.

Best to wait and see if it has staying power past Spring.

Welfare

It is highly unlikely that MS will differentiate Xb1X and Xb1S sales. They will talk about "xbox family" or "xbox one family"sales. Maybe NPD will be able to differentiatete though based on sku?

Always hope for the leaks. Maybe WIndows Central gets a little something something again if Xbox beats PS4 in November and December. Also it's possible we get PR on the % of Xbox sales were One X like we got for the Pro last year.

watdaeff4

Always hope for the leaks. Maybe WIndows Central gets a little something something again if Xbox beats PS4 in November and December. Also it's possible we get PR on the % of Xbox sales were One X like we got for the Pro last year.
My projections For your wish list:
1) if it happens, we will

2) We will for Nov. maaaybe in reports thereafter if it's greater than 20%

Last year the NPD releases gave out the Ps4 Pro % sales. Will probably happen again.

But if the X Numbers by themself are great, Microsoft will do a PR release.
When they beat the original One launch, they'll talk about it.

Josman

I doubt that kind of uninformed customer would even notice the difference, to be honest.

Just like with the XB1 and PS4, they won't. People are going to see a $100 difference and hear more about exclusive software on PS4 though, I think MS is in a very bad position regarding the after-launch window, pre-orders are made up of enthusiasts and it is practically a new generation, I get the enthusiasm some people have with preorder numbers on Amazon, but let's not get carried away.

Top Bottom