• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

Colbert

Banned
giphy.gif

LMFAO

I'm interested in the x and how it does at retail. It can either replace the xbox one like a new console or just be a a quick lighting flash. Being the most powerful console probably will make it more interesting

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think the interesting thing to note is PS4 Pro sales according to Sony account for about 20% of PS4 sales. If we knew what the Amazon numbers were for PS4 or better yet Pro sales we could get a sense on what Pro did so far for 2017 and then that would help position the X on Amazon. That all said...this is just one sliver of a big pie.

Right--I'm curious to know these numbers. I'm not surprised a new system is selling well, though.

Either Amazon has a really low share of PS4 Pro's sold compared to market averages, or One X is going to explode on launch day. Being close to 30 places ahead of it in just a few days is something else.

Ranking matters in Amazon charts, but not so much the numerical differences. It's impressive that X pre-orders has outmatched Pro on Amazon, low shares or not, but being 30 places ahead isn't really effectively comparable.

Like, several situations in the past where PS4/XB1 had significant differences in numerical placement on Amazon charts ended up being less than a 20% volume difference in NPD. Or something like that.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One X outsells the PSPro eventually. Feels like Microsoft is marketing the Xbox One X far more than Sony has ever pushed the PS4 Pro.

Arklite

I didn't believe the Switch could be big, and I don't believe a $500 console would have legs. Maybe I'll be wrong twice.

Welfare

I think the interesting thing to note is PS4 Pro sales according to Sony account for about 20% of PS4 sales. If we knew what the Amazon numbers were for PS4 or better yet Pro sales we could get a sense on what Pro did so far for 2017 and then that would help position the X on Amazon. That all said...this is just one sliver of a big pie.
Pro is most likely +400K going with the 1 in 5 stat (PS4 has sold 2M this year in the US) and Amazon is ~10% of the US retail video game market. If that holds true with Pro sales, that's ~40K.

Dlacy13g

One other note for proper context...Nintendo Switch is currently #6 (grey joycons) and #20 (colored joycons) on Amazon Best of 2017 so far.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its a good result and shows that Xbox fans are preordering X in record numbers.

Sure there are caveats(amazon only, US only, preorders only ect), but this indicates demand somewhere and is a lot better of a result than other worse possibilities.

I think that Xbox one X will be a higher ratio of upgraders from XB1 than PS4 people to Pro. Sony has likely seen less of a priority to push Pro than MS for X...it makes me wonder why Sony even launched the Pro TBH, they could have coasted off of the slim and gone all in on their own direction, doubling down on the traditional model. Would have been interesting to see how the market reacted to MS with XB1S and XB1X and Sony with just the base and slim options for a lower price tag

Microsoft yall getting that sweet XBOXX cash now put that into Viva Piñata 3!
Anyway this is terrific news for the industry and seriously hope this revitalizes the brand(hopefully some worldwide).

Fisty

I think a better correlation could be seen by looking at Amazon charts in around Oct 2016 for where the Pro was. As far as I know, Amazon doesn't charge you the full amount until shipment, so these numbers are likely inflated by prospective purchasers looking to secure a console with no real obligation if you cancel.

Magwik

Banned
Anyone know how I can see the list for myself? Can't seem to find it on the site (on mobile)
Edit: found it, Amazon sells a lot of digital cards 0_o

Toki767

Those sales rankings seem bonkers.

The freaking NES Classic is at number 23.

Did Amazon even sell those in 2017 outside of their treasure trucks? lol

Kill3r7

With preorders being so high, I think it's a real possibility that the low Xbox One sales in the last few months was due to people holding off due to the X.

Possible, sure, but not likely. The S and X have such a different price point that one would assume they are catering to two different types of customers. Also, to be fair Sony has had a dearth of fantastic games come out over the last 8 months and they also have the Pro. IIRC, they are up 10-15% YOY (NPD) so far. Really strong results for them. The S really has fallen off the pace. I am going to guess that it will show an uptick in September and October as we approach the holidays.

Welfare

Ranking matters in Amazon charts, but not so much the numerical differences. It's impressive that X pre-orders has outmatched Pro on Amazon, low shares or not, but being 30 places ahead isn't really effectively comparable.

Like, several situations in the past where PS4/XB1 had significant differences in numerical placement on Amazon charts ended up being less than a 20% volume difference in NPD. Or something like that.
Oh for sure, like at most, the unit difference is probably not that big. We would need someone from GameStop or Best Buy to weigh in on this to know if the same is even true outside of Amazon and if it is by a good amount or not.

Good news for the One X though.

Floody

Remember, I was on record months ago saying the X would outsell the S this holiday. Few believed.

Don't think many expected the S to completely faceplant so fast. Wouldn't be surprised either way at this point, probably depends on how aggressive MS get with the S' price and how well they market the X.

chur

Amazon ran out of Pros for a few months. Only their 3ed party sellers had it and they were selling it for $50 bucks extra.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Remember, I was on record months ago saying the X would outsell the S this holiday. Few believed.
I would hope the S sells a shit ton this holiday. It is the more reasonably priced console and it is sleek as hell.

Top Bottom