• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread of Roundcats Up in This

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anyone here ever watch Shakugan no Shana. I recently discovered it and it doesn't look too bad of a concept. If anyone here read it what are your opinions of it?

Also, for those that have seen/read it is the anime adaptation good and does it follow source material?

1st season was enjoyable enough. Only saw a bit of the 2nd season, and it lost my interest.

Coxy

Oh shit, someone else has heard of this other than me. Yeah, it's pretty great even though there's no point at all and the art is... something.

Yeah I dont think the studio even knew what they were making so it got like 10 bux budget. Really liked it though, so now I tracked down a thing called Potemayo to watch next

I still hate Senjou the most of all the characters in the show. I don't even know why Araragi is going out with her...she's just not likeable

what? She's great, she has a sense of humour

Mobile Suit Gundam F91:
Well, somewhere in this is a story that could've been told in 2 hours. Sadly, they tried to cram 50 episodes worth of story instead.

I keep saying they really need to do a full F91 to crossbone series. I really love F91, even if it's badly told it's a good story

Yeah I dont think the studio even knew what they were making so it got like 10 bux budget. Really liked it though, so now I tracked down a thing called Potemayo to watch next

Just rewatched a few episodes on Youtube and I forgot how much the lyrics of the changing ED cracked me up, lol.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think I want "Wrath of Khan" Space Pirates. I mean, I find it strange that they still haven't gone into the history of her father... or that she hasn't bothered asking about him. It's like they're setting that up to be something big.

I'm sure the reveal will be meaningful, and I suppose that the best way to make the reveal meaningful is for it to have a direct impact on the plot, but I don't know if any show with a schoolgirl pirate captain who has Summoned Skull and a gothic eyepatch gypsy for crewmates has the capability to produce believable drama. I suppose we'll see.

Well, average girl is average I guess. Her problem of being "too lonely" was just so... mundane.

If it's any consolation, it looks like Kaoru's arc is going to be filled to the brim with wacky romantic hijinks, so I suppose we're swinging wildly in the opposite direction here.

4kHUa.jpg

What am I looking at? And why are her eyes almost level with her mouth?

It's funny because HidaSketch and Natsu no Arashi are pretty much the two "average" Shaft shows. They're not abundantly wacky like Arakawa, stupid like Vampire Bund, or nerdbait like the monogatari shows and Madoka, so no one cares about them.

I suppose that Arashi is average relative to most other Shaft shows, but it's one of the heaviest in terms of the stylistic and budget-saving quirks that the studio is known for. There are tons of head tilts, zetsuboushitas, extremely heavy reuse of backgrounds with talking heads, random references, QUALITY art, and so on. In that sense, it's just about the Shaftiest show out there, but in terms of actual content it's more unique. It's pretty severely underappreciated.

survivor

Banned
Natsume S1 2-7

These last couple of episodes have been amazing. There is just something about it that differentiates it from the other anime out there. The atmosphere is great, Natsume is a pretty cool character, the cat is hilarious, and the monsters for each episode are different and interesting. Definitely a pleasant surprise how good this show is.

Jex

Natsume S1 2-7

These last couple of episodes have been amazing. There is just something about it that differentiates it from the other anime out there. The atmosphere is great, Natsume is a pretty cool character, the cat is hilarious, and the monsters for each episode are different and interesting. Definitely a pleasant surprise how good this show is.

It's all really down to the director Takahiro Omori, who has done lots of great shows for Brain's Base. There's nothing inherently great about the story or characters, as one can see from Season 3 where the art, animation and cinematography are quite bad. It's all down to skilled directing creating a great atmosphere because when that isn't present the show falls apart.

hello anime gaf i have not been lurking this thread at all and was wondering what shows are good this season?

Daily Lives of High School Boys is funny, Rinne no Lagrange has the potential to be female Gurren Lagann, Symphogear is a nice and dark take on the magical girl genre, High School DxD is trashy fun with epic mood shifts. That's about it.

Jex

hello anime gaf i have not been lurking this thread at all and was wondering what shows are good this season?

Natsume Season 4 is the show I can recommend whole heartedly and without reservation because it's suitable for everyone and has been very enjoyable so far.

Season 4 of Natsume's Book of Friends has been really good, and is easily the best thing airing right now. Besides that, Daily Lives of High School Boys is quite amusing, Rinne no Lagrange is shallow but well-made fun, Ano Natsu de Matteru is a decent traditional magical girlfriend romantic comedy, and Poyopoyo is pure cuteness.

Lain

The knight in the area 6

Apart from the silliness of a person slimming down in such a short time which is pretty dumb, there is another thing that I found dumb: the people on the stands that are shown three times, one time one guy is cheerign for FC and another for SC, the second time both are cheering for SC, the third both are cheering for FC. I'm not used to seeing such disloyal supporters.

Instro

Ignoring sequels or continuations from last season, I would say these are worth checking out:

Rinne no Lagrange
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Another
Moretsu Pirates

...and Black Rock Shooter has some nice actions scenes.

survivor

Banned
So I watched Only Yesterday sometime ago and I loved it. Might be my memory playing tricks on me, but I honestly thought it was one of the best anime when it came to realistic characters and ways they act. Just the little details I found amazing.

I'm looking at the director's other works and ignoring Grave of the Fireflies, how are his other movies? I'm not too sure about the Yamadas movie. I feel like it's something that won't connect with me.

Dresden

So I watched Only Yesterday sometime ago and I loved it. Might be my memory playing tricks on me, but I honestly thought it was one of the best anime when it came to realistic characters and ways they act. Just the little details I found amazing.

So I'm looking at the director's other works. Ignoring Grave of the Fireflies, how are his other movies? I'm not too sure about the Yamadas movie. I feel like it's something that won't connect with me.

You could always check out Gauche the Cellist and Pom Poko.

e: or watch Horus, Prince of the Sun this week like me (as soon as I stop playing Curtschillingur, anyways)

So I'm looking at the director's other works. Ignoring Grave of the Fireflies, how are his other movies? I'm not too sure about the Yamadas movie. I feel like it's something that won't connect with me.

You are absolutely correct when it comes to Only Yesterday. Isao Takahata has probably the best eye for portraying realistic, fleshed-out human characters in all of anime. Everything he has done is at least good, if not great. From my experience, the following is mandatory viewing:

Horus: Prince of the Sun
Anne of Green Gables (TV series)
Chie the Brat
Pom Poko

wonzo

Banned
HxHr 19

The fight between Gon and Hanzo didn't feel anywhere near as fucked up and gut wrenching as it did in the original series.
Pretty disappointing but I guess that's par the course for this remake. :/

Natsume, Rinne no Lagrange and the occasional very good to great episode of Nisemonogatari.

I've also heard about this show called "Black Rock Shooter" which is supposedly "amazing" for it's "unconventional" writing. You might wanna check it out!!!

Jex

I'm looking at the director's other works and ignoring Grave of the Fireflies, how are his other movies? I'm not too sure about the Yamadas movie. I feel like it's something that won't connect with me.
You could always check out his TV shows like Anne of Green Gables as well, they're fairly excellent. Takahata is the best director at Studio Ghibli after all.

Thoraxes

I've also heard about this show called "Black Rock Shooter" which is supposedly "amazing" for it's "unconventional" writing. You might wanna check it out!!!
Someone needs to save duckroll before something drastic happens. Between this and the ramping up information of E7AO, I don't know if he's gonna make it to Christmas this year.

Jex

Bodacious Space Pirates 06

FINALLY SOMETHING HAPPENED. That was a fun episode, and I look forward to getting to know more of the whole crew and watching the actual show start. Why they didn't begin the show like the manga I have no idea, and I think it was horrible for the anime and they should've cut the whole first arc, but w/e.

What did they do what was different from the original manga?

Instro

z8LpW.jpg

Oh Yuri, you are adorable.

So I'm nearly through with the TV series, are all the Dirty Pair OVAs and the movie worth watching as well (well except Flash which I have heard is not good).

What did they do what was different from the original manga?

Perhaps the content in the first few episodes was not present in the manga?

survivor

Banned
You could always check out Gauche the Cellist and Pom Poko.

e: or watch Horus, Prince of the Sun this week like me (as soon as I stop playing Curtschillingur, anyways)

You are absolutely correct when it comes to Only Yesterday. Isao Takahata has probably the best eye for portraying realistic, fleshed-out human characters in all of anime. Everything he has done is at least good, if not great. From my experience, the following is mandatory viewing:

Horus: Prince of the Sun
Anne of Green Gables (TV series)
Chie the Brat
Pom Poko
Had no idea he directed all these other shows. I will probably start with the movies and move on to the TV shows after.

You could always check out his TV shows like Anne of Green Gables as well, they're fairly excellent. Takahata is the best director at Studio Ghibli after all.

I seem to have recollections of watching Anne when I was a kid, but I might be confusing it for another anime with a girl living in the country side. I finished reading the novel for the first time 4 months ago so seeing more Anne is gonna be good.

Jex

Angel's Egg

Gave this a shot tonight and I am left with no strong feelings one way or the other regarding the plot. This is the kind of thing I typically like yet I think I was a bit distracted tonight (took me 2 hours to finish a 75 minute movie) and I intend to revisit it sometime. Thought the visuals were beautiful as was the soundtrack at least.
Go on, be the dissenter in the ranks and say it suck. It's okay!

-Minsc-

Sket Dance 15-26

Liked the concert school festival the most but Switch's origin story episodes
I cried, though it was so good

Is the cast of Gintama always so crazy and intense, first time seeing any of that series in this crossover episode.

You talking about the Sket Dance version of the crossover? I'd say yes and more.

Jex

I seem to have recollections of watching Anne when I was a kid, but I might be confusing it for another anime with a girl living in the country side. I finished reading the novel for the first time 4 months ago so seeing more Anne is gonna be good.

Well he also directed Heidi: Girl of the Alps so you could be thinking of that one as well.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
So many shows come out every season. For a casual watcher like me, I feel like it's almost impossible to keep up, or to even be aware of what's good and what isn't. It's kind of mind-boggling... but usually when something is truly good (or at least, truly entertaining), you'll know about it through lurking because there will be constant buzz. There hasn't been anything this season I'm aware of... other than Nisemono (which has some mixed opinions as always), before that everyone was all about Penguindrum - and the last thing I remember truly being swept up in was Madoka. Granted, I have gone back and watched some older shows to fill in the void. Nothing seems genuinely interesting to me at the moment, though I'll probably dive into Steins;gate next.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Symphogear 06:

DqSpg.jpg

Is tie-in-pocket some kind of new style that I'm not aware of?

Okay episode. A healthy dose of
naked yuri
and a surprising amount of
boin
, but this was mostly an episode for changing relationship dynamics. Hibiki finally seems to have
Tsubasa's approval
, and at long last
Miku now knows why Hibiki's constantly ditching her
so we've hopefully dodged
a stupid subplot about Miku and Hibiki's yurilust friendship being torn apart over Hibiki's secretiveness. Hibiki can finally be honest once and for all, because what's a little classified information between friends?

Tsubasa exhibiting powerful
pigsty moe
this episode.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Watch Gauche the cellist like as soon as you can. You won't regret it.

Jex

So I'm nearly through with the TV series, are all the Dirty Pair OVAs and the movie worth watching as well (well except Flash which I have heard is not good).

I've only seen parts of the Dirty Pair OVA series, and Project Eden both of which were good. I believe Hitokage can advise on the rest of franchise.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
... before that everyone was all about Penguindrum - and the last thing I remember truly being swept up in was Madoka. Granted, I have gone back and watched some older shows to fill in the void. Nothing seems genuinely interesting to me at the moment, though I'll probably dive into Steins;gate next.
Steins;gate is definitely on the same level as those other two shows. You should really get around to it.

Nisemonogatari 06
SJDR6.jpg

The up and down nature of Nise so far lowered my guard, because the quality of this episode really took my by surprise. This was a good build structurally, where it quickly tied off the events of the previous night, set forth a plan for the coming story, and elaborated on that further with a small twist that added an immediate sense of danger. Swapping the focus between different characters helped a lot in keeping the dialogue and setting fresh throughout the episode,
even if they're just a bunch of tsunderes.
This episode gives me a lot of hope about the future of Nise. I'm not foolish enough to expect it to suddenly get great, but it's nice to know the potential is still there.

Oh, and new top tier is clearly Shinobu
since Senjougahara will probably cut her hair.

iavi

So many shows come out every season. For a casual watcher like me, I feel like it's almost impossible to keep up, or to even be aware of what's good and what isn't. It's kind of mind-boggling... but usually when something is truly good (or at least, truly entertaining), you'll know about it through lurking because there will be constant buzz. There hasn't been anything this season I'm aware of... other than Nisemono (which has some mixed opinions as always), before that everyone was all about Penguindrum - and the last thing I remember truly being swept up in was Madoka. Granted, I have gone back and watched some older shows to fill in the void. Nothing seems genuinely interesting to me at the moment, though I'll probably dive into Steins;gate next.

Steins; Gate is better than anything this season, imo, and easily so. I'm jealous you're able to go into it fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom