• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout 2048 (PSVita) - Screens, Interview and Previews

darkwing said:
lol the after picture/video of the winner after the race is going to be awesome
I can't watch the video at work, damn administrator won't install Flash. Can you explain this a bit more? I am...intrigued.

jlevel13

Leona Lewis said:
I can't watch the video at work, damn administrator won't install Flash. Can you explain this a bit more? I am...intrigued.

The front facing camera snaps a photo of the winner's face and pushes it out to all the other racers (hopefully optional).

Apath

Am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about the FPS as long as it's stable? Wipeout Pulse is awesome on the PSP and supposedly it's 30FPS. I have no problem with this.

Skilletor

Kenak said:
Am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about the FPS as long as its stable? Wipeout Pulse is awesome on the PSP and supposedly it's 30FPS. I have no problem with this.

I definitely prefer 60fps, especially after Wipeout HD. But I'm not going to say no to this because it's 30.

darkwing

Leona Lewis said:

the winner has like a few seconds of video recording to record his/her face or whatever taunts to the other opponents, its like Burnout Paradise takedown camera feature

jlevel13 said:
The front facing camera snaps a photo of the winner's face and pushes it out to all the other racers (hopefully optional).
LOL, nice. Rear touch, dual cameras, etc. offer obvious gameplay possibilities, but I can't wait to see how devs use all the functionality of the PSVita to do little things like this.

SykoTech

Kenak said:
Am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck about the FPS as long as its stable? Wipeout Pulse is awesome on the PSP and supposedly it's 30FPS. I have no problem with this.

Gameplay looks great to me, so I guess I'm fine with it too. I've never really sweated the fps thing though, unless the game totally runs like crap (Enslaved demo).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
D2M15 said:
No.

Neither did the PSX ones.
The PSP games COULD run at ~60 fps if you overclocked to 333 MHz. Both games featured an unlocked framerate in most modes which would result in a bump to 60 fps. When things got heavy the framerate would still take a hit, but it was much smoother than playing the game on a stock PSP.

The PSP Wipeouts did run at 60FPS on the Zone tracks, but 30 otherwise.
Untrue, actually. That was the one mode that was actually limited to 30 fps. Even when overclocked, any mode involving only your ship (without any AI) was locked to 30. All other modes could run at 60 fps in 333 MHz mode.

LOL @30 FPS
its 2011 ffs
That's kind of par for the course in 2011, actually. If you want the highest concentration of 60 fps 3D console games you'll have to go back to the early years of PS2 where AAA and budget titles alike almost always ran at 60 fps. It was an interlaced 60 fps, of course, but 60 fps nonetheless.

rvy

Banned
snk2 said:
LOL @30 FPS
its 2011 ffs
Utopia much? I don't like it anymore than you, but 60fps is hardly common. Average gamer doesn't know what it is, just that the game feels better/more responsive.

Atruvius

jlevel13 said:
Looks great in the video (looks like wipeout). Cross platform play with up to 8 players is impressive.
Haha, Jeff Gerstmann was there.

Game looks so smooth. I'm stafting get an itch to buy this thing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i hope that guy realize that the year it is has nothing to with how many frames per second a game pushes.

its a DESIGN CHOICE. if they wanted it to run at 60 fps, then they would have had to cut graphics to do it. instead of running at 60 fps, they push MORE graphics to make it look better to sell the game to the people who dont even understand the concept of a frame per second.

Apath

"20 New Ships"

Does that mean twenty new companies ie. Feisar, EG-X, AG, etc. or just new alternative skins? IIRC Wipeout Pulse only has like... 10 different ships. Quite the upgrade if true.

rvy

Banned
Kenak said:
"20 New Ships"

Does that mean twenty new companies ie. Feisar, EG-X, AG, etc. or just new alternative skins? IIRC Wipeout Pulse only has like... 10 different ships. Quite the upgrade if true.
I doubt it, just different models from those companies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not to mention that display and simulation update frequencies are not neccessarily the same.

Responsiveness is not simply a factor of refresh rate, despite what Richard Leadbetter would have you believe.

So it went from 'we can run Wipeout HD on this thing, identical assets, same resolution textures, etc, just knocked down to the NGP res at 60fps' to... something that doesn't seem to have as sharp assets as Wipeout HD, at 30fps.

What happened?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pazuzu9 said:
So it went from 'we can run Wipeout HD on this thing, identical assets, same resolution textures, etc, just knocked down to the NGP res at 60fps' to... something that doesn't seem to have as sharp assets as Wipeout HD, at 30fps.

What happened?
I don't think it's fair to say that the assets aren't Wipeout HD quality, though. It looks very detailed, just different. The framerate hit is annoying, however, but this kind of stuff is common with first generation software. Resistance 1 was originally a 60 fps game, for instance.

the psp wipeouts were absolutely terrible because they only ran at 30fps, same goes for the PS1 wipeouts. Why is it that they simply cannot get it through their heads that 60fps is absolutely necessary for a speed based racing game to be any good?

jkh13

Neo Member
Why is everyone so angry at 30fps? As long as it is fun who cares about the technicalities. The old games were 30fps and were great fun, why is everyone bashing?

Bad_Boy said:
-10 new tracks
-20 new ships
-new game modes & weapons
-front facing camera (like burnout paradise)
-augmented reality museum / ship gallery
-8 player online/local
-cross platform play

This. The devs need to exploit this feature of cross platform play b/w PS3 and NGP. Also it would be great to have a bundled version of games with both PS3 + NGP versions at a discounted price. That way you can play PS3 version when home and NGP on the road with the same profile offline and online.

Curufinwe

AzureNightmare said:
the psp wipeouts were absolutely terrible because they only ran at 30fps, same goes for the PS1 wipeouts.

Don't be ridiculous; the PSP and PS1 Wipeouts were fantastic games.

jkh13 said:
Why is everyone so angry at 30fps? As long as it is fun who cares about the technicalities. The old games were 30fps and were great fun, why is everyone bashing?
Because they claimed Wipeout HD ran at 60fps no problem.

I like Wipeout HD more than the PSP games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
dark10x said:
I don't think it's fair to say that the assets aren't Wipeout HD quality, though. It looks very detailed, just different. The framerate hit is annoying, however, but this kind of stuff is common with first generation software. Resistance 1 was originally a 60 fps game, for instance.

It does kind of bring the PS(Vita?) down to earth a bit. I swear ta' god, for the last few weeks since around the 3DS launch, it's been nothing but "OMFG NGP IS THE REAL THING UNCHARTED 3 GRAPHIX @ 120FPS AT LAUNCH!!"

Graphics don't look as good as I thought they would... hopefully will improve by launch. Loved the PSP Wipeouts and Wipeout HD tho (along with the PSX ones of course!).

Dunan

Can't wait; this will sell me on the Vita.

After a decade or so of unhappy events and disasters in the real world (culminating in the huge earthquake that, among other, much worse things, destroyed my microwave and rice cooker), I'm hoping that the world of 2048 will be a brighter, more utopian one, now that anti-gravity has become a reality. Pierre Belmondo discovers it in, what, 2040 or so?

As I understand the chronology, around the time of Fusion things go corrupt, with sponsors fixing races and the like, but the original era isn't supposed to be like that. And with humanity's energy problems solved by anti-gravity, it's an ideal situation for a golden age without war and destruction and with humanity looking upward.

Gritty settings have their place, but I want a bright one this time.

Clunker said:
It does, but only on CFW, where it goddamned screams at 60FPS. It's glorious.

Big, big disappointment at this running only at 30. I'm not normally an FPS whore, but in racers and fighting games, it's 60 or bust. :(

How do you make this happen? First I've heard of this!

Apath

sankt-Antonio said:
i was not aware that this is getting a ps3 version also. now im happy
As far as I can tell, it's not. It just supports cross-platform play with Wipeout HD Fury on the PS3.

Curufinwe said:
Don't be ridiculous; the PSP and PS1 Wipeouts were fantastic games.
I'm not being ridiculous. F-Zero X and F-Zero GX were goddamned magical because they ran at a constant and stable 60FPS. It is absolutely total bullshit that they can't have Wipeout 2048 running at a stable 60fps.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Dunan said:
Can't wait; this will sell me on the Vita.

After a decade or so of unhappy events and disasters in the real world (culminating in the huge earthquake that, among other, much worse things, destroyed my microwave and rice cooker), I'm hoping that the world of 2048 will be a brighter, more utopian one, now that anti-gravity has become a reality. Pierre Belmondo discovers it in, what, 2040 or so?

As I understand the chronology, around the time of Fusion things go corrupt, with sponsors fixing races and the like, but the original era isn't supposed to be like that. And with humanity's energy problems solved by anti-gravity, it's an ideal situation for a golden age without war and destruction and with humanity looking upward.

Gritty settings have their place, but I want a bright one this time.

gagagagaga

x3sphere

Went from must buy to wait and see. I'm very surprised they can't hit 60 with the hardware the NGP is packing. Maybe this is all down to being an early build.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Leona Lewis said:
Assuming PSVita doesn't launch until the holidays, that still leaves a few months to reach 60 FPS. In any case, I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the end.

Frame rate is a target. If it's not 60fps now, it won't be then.

Top Bottom