• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout 2048 (PSVita) - Screens, Interview and Previews

So, when i get the PS3/NGP version, does the other one come as pack in or how does Sony want cross-platform play to work with these games? I'm all in for it, continue on the go, come back home and play on screen, but I will NOT buy games 2 times for this.

edit: And how will cross-platform MP work when PS3 can go 60fps and NGP only 30fps?

Looks really nice in the video, screenshots are very unflattering though, ouch.

Not sure if I want to play a racing game at 30 fps, especially not something fast.

Bebpo

Banned
AzureNightmare said:
the psp wipeouts were absolutely terrible because they only ran at 30fps, same goes for the PS1 wipeouts. Why is it that they simply cannot get it through their heads that 60fps is absolutely necessary for a speed based racing game to be any good?

Uh, what? Pulse was one of the best handheld racers ever.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tryckser said:
So, when i get the PS3/NGP version, does the other one come as pack in or how does Sony want cross-platform play to work with these games?

It's cross platform multiplayer. It means you can play against PS3 people online from a NGP or against NGP people from a PS3.

They're different games, but 2048 will have some tracks from the PS3 game, and it's on those tracks that you'll be able to play against PS3 players.

That's all it is, really. You don't get two games for the price of one :)

AzureNightmare said:
I'm not being ridiculous. F-Zero X and F-Zero GX were goddamned magical because they ran at a constant and stable 60FPS. It is absolutely total bullshit that they can't have Wipeout 2048 running at a stable 60fps.

F-Zero's weapons run at a constant, stable 0 fps.

Felt sorry for the poor Sony Liverpool schulb having to say 'En Gee Pee' over and over. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

gofreak said:

But it's such a good idea with PSP remasters to make the saves compatible. They should go all way with this for NGP. Let me buy PS3 version, 80% discount on PSN NGP version, or other way around.

gofreak said:
It's cross platform multiplayer. It means you can play against PS3 people online from a NGP or against NGP people from a PS3.

They're different games, but 2048 will have some tracks from the PS3 game, and it's on those tracks that you'll be able to play against PS3 players.

Still, with all the new objective based stuff in 2048's multiplayer one would expect those to be part of the HD tracks. And if the HD tracks have those modes, shouldn't HD also get a patch to support this?

Or should we expect no more than a simple legacy gameplay mode when it comes to cross platform play. Or would those new modes be available on the HD tracks, but only when playing against other NGP players. That would mean too many variables and a fragmentation of an already small community right?

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Here I was getting hype like I rarely do and then I saw 30fps...c'mon people it's not wipeout in 30fps.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Blizniak said:
Here I was getting hype like I rarely do and then I saw 30fps...c'mon people it's not wipeout in 30fps.

I also want 60fps. But almost every Wipeout was running at 30fps.

StuBurns said:
I'm a little confused about something, is this coming to PS3 too or is it just going to be playable with HD/Fury?

It's an PSP2 exclusive, but there are Fury tracks and you can play those with PS3 owners.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's an PSP2 exclusive, but there are Fury tracks and you can play those with PS3 owners.
Cool, thanks. Makes sense, I remember Sony saying they didn't intend to work on titles that ship on both.

Curufinwe

AzureNightmare said:
I'm not being ridiculous.

Yeah you are. Just keep playing F-Zero and Wipeout HD if 30 fps is a total deal breaker, but don't make a fool of yourself by claiming the original Wipeout, 2097, 3, 3:SE, Pure and Pulse were all terrible.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Everything about this looks great, except the framerate uncertainty part. It's not a real Wipeout unless it's 60fps. :\

Curufinwe

Jinfash said:
Everything about this looks great, except the framerate uncertainty part. It's not a real Wipeout unless it's 60fps. :\

The PS1 and PSP Wipeouts weren't 60fps games. I'd love to know where this idea that Wipeout has always been a 60 fps series comes from.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Curufinwe said:
The PS1 and PSP Wipeouts weren't 60fps games. I'd love to know where this idea that Wipeout has always been a 60 fps series comes from.
Wasn't Pure and at least one the PS1 games running at a higher framerate?

gillty

Banned
Great now I'm going to have to buy another handheld to play Wipeout..

Please tell me track/expansion for WipeoutHD PS3.

Either way, I'm ready.

Jinfash said:
Wasn't Pure and at least one the PS1 games running at a higher framerate?

It was in timetrial mode that framerate would be higher. I doubt it was 60fps. And with a hacked PSP you could get it to run at a higher FPS too. I think I managed 60 in timetrial with the cpu maxed.

rvy

Banned
Curufinwe said:
WipEout HD is too awesome.

Suzzopher

Honestly never had a problem with the FPS on any WipEout game, well WipEout on Saturn was an abortion, but other than that, they all ran fine. The PSP games were very smooth experiences.

Sure 60fps would have been great, but as long as it's locked I am happy.

theBishop

Banned
Tryckser said:
So, when i get the PS3/NGP version, does the other one come as pack in or how does Sony want cross-platform play to work with these games? I'm all in for it, continue on the go, come back home and play on screen, but I will NOT buy games 2 times for this.

That's the big question. Sony's done a fairly poor job so far with Fat Princess, Pixeljunk, Stardust, etc. Although you could argue that the PSP games have meaningful exclusive content.

I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a PS3/Vita bundle, but I wouldn't pay full price twice.

Are you guys seriously that mad about not having 60 fps that you wouldn't buy the game? That seems a bit extreme. Also...

2048's championship will climax with a race at Altima VII itself, the game's ending coming at the very moment that the series began..

My god...

RavenFox

Banned
Angry Fork said:
................ @ 30fps

Would rather take a hit on the graphics than framerate for a game like Wipeout, what were they thinking? =(
Op should bold this

by gofreak
NowGamer mentions in their hardware preview that while the build they played was 30fps, they were told the final game should look better and 'potentially' run at a faster framerate.

SolidSnakex said:

I think this is a very smart way to explore PS3-NGP cross platform play. Sony has said it doesn't want NGP to be a port machine, and Sony and devs have said it's pretty easy to port stuff to NGP from PS3/360; so imagine Uncharted 3 and Uncharted GA, each with its own SP story, having a couple of maps/modes where cross compatibility is possible. Same with MW3, Battlefield and other games. Would be a pretty big feature and possible system seller IMO. It would also solve the "ports machine" meme as the NGP game would have its exclusive SP campaign and other features.

Tryckser said:

Ideally if the game is all the same, let's say MLB 12 the show, then a Portal 2 solution would be great. Don't know whether or not Sony and publishers are as nice as Valve though.

tzare

that video on PS Blog, game looks amazing. I'd love to se 60 fps too, but most WO games were 30fps so no complains. crossplatform game is fucking awesome. I may give Wipeout Fury a second live

SolidSnakex said:

Seems like a very smart way to do it.

(And later Wipeout Trinity will add the 2048 tracks to PS3, perhaps).

i want a new PS3 Wipeout :( this just bums me out.. missing out on a Wipeout game hurts bad.

is there really a bigger market for a handheld Wipeout? who are these people that want to play it on a tiny screen with worse visuals..? i don't get this at all.

never buying another handheld ever again (major disappointment with the DS) so this sucks.

StuBurns

Banned
astroturfing said:
i want a new PS3 Wipeout :( this just bums me out.. missing out on a Wipeout game hurts bad.

is there really a bigger market for a handheld Wipeout? who are these people that want to play it on a tiny screen with worse visuals..? i don't get this at all.

never buying another handheld ever again (major disappointment with the DS) so this sucks.
The point isn't just to sell into the biggest market, it's to make the platform more attractive.

Kuran

Banned
astroturfing said:

NGP is no DS

Takao

Banned
astroturfing said:

Given that the WipEout revival can partially be attributed to the good reception of the PSP games in both reviews, and sales says "Yes". Prior to WipEout Pure on PSP, there wasn't a WipEout game since 2002.

AzureNightmare said:
I'm not being ridiculous. F-Zero X and F-Zero GX were goddamned magical because they ran at a constant and stable 60FPS. It is absolutely total bullshit that they can't have Wipeout 2048 running at a stable 60fps.

Oh for fuck's sake... Wipeout isn't F-Zero! In fact, other than gravity-based racing and a somewhat shared focus on speed, the games are basically nothing alike. Wipeout is a racer... and a combat game.

Oh, and Wip3out and 2097 were incredible..

Nit.

Takao said:
Given that the WipEout revival can partially be attributed to the good reception of the PSP games in both reviews, and sales says "Yes". Prior to WipEout Pure on PSP, there wasn't a WipEout game since 2002.

Sony didn't even bother with publishing Fusion in the US, did they? Rotten installment anyway.

Dr. Light

Anyone notice this?

http://psp.ign.com/articles/117/1172093p1.html

Like I mentioned before, WipEout 2048 doesn't really stand out, given how faithful it is to the WipEout you'd expect on the PS3. It looks sharp as hell, though its early state at this pre-E3 event gave the frame-rate trouble.

The developers never said anything about targeting 30fps, it's just the current pre-alpha version that is this way.

Although they already said a while back that it was 60fps with Wipeout HD assets the very first time they ported the code, so either they were full of shit or something's going on.

RavenFox

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Wow it has online cross platform play. If there doing this with Wipeout then surely Activision can do it with Call of duty.
The Picard inside of me feels this will be a 'make it so'

ElFly said:
Looks eh.

The realistic backgrounds are a let down, and 30fps is not good news.

I think it has potential but they look a bit bland though. It looks like the tracks also have been noobified by making them wider.

KAL2006

Banned
So this is going to be cross compatible with the online community of PS3 users of HD/Fury. Does this mean it will have all the content (levels, ships, modes) from HD/Fury.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Even when overclocked, any mode involving only your ship (without any AI) was locked to 30.

Really? Because i'd have definitely said that Zone is running 60fps if i was asked.

The realistic backgrounds are a let down

yeah, but it's Wipeout 2048 - this is before the previous Wipeouts. It's nice that they've kept it "real" and it does sound like we're getting Wipeout HD tracks as well.

Grayman

30 fps is not going to sell me an expensive piece of hardware. I would even accept turning some of the graphics down/off to get a stable 60.

Top Bottom